Looking to stay connected without being fleeced

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vg55

Looking to stay connected without being fleeced

Post by vg55 »

Background:

I live in CT. My tv, internet and home phone service (xfinity) is running me about 4k/year; with mobile service 3 lines that is an additional 1k / year.

I would love to cut these two bills substantially, but how?

What is the alternative that gives us fast internet service, lots of channels and phone service.

it used to be so simple and inexpensive. now my head is spinning.

thanks in advance for your ideas.
jebmke

Re: Looking to stay connected without being fleeced

Post by jebmke »

Really location specific. I live in a rural area and there is only one broadband supplier available. In a nearby large urban area I would have multiple choices.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

What are the local alternatives / competiton? I would not pay for TV but that is your choice. We have a generally similar package (minus TV) for roughly $1400 a year but that won't work for you unless you move here.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

vg55 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:59 pm Background:

I live in CT. My tv, internet and home phone service (xfinity) is running me about 4k/year; with mobile service 3 lines that is an additional 1k / year.

What is the alternative that gives us fast internet service, lots of channels and phone service.

Can you eliminate the TV and phone? Many people get by with just internet (with a streaming service) and cell phone.
onourway

Post by onourway »

You will generally, but not always, save money by decoupling all of these services. In other words, buy just your internet from your ISP. Prices are market specific, but I’d be surprised if you can’t get a passable plan - say 100/10Mb for $70/month if not less. Streaming TV options run for about $20/month on the low end, to about $65/month on the high (YouTubeTV). Those together get you to just over $1500/year.

Do you really need a home phone with 3 cell phones in the house? If you do, VOIP can be as little as a few dollars/month.
Spewin

Post by Spewin »

Here is what I suggest:

Internet: 25Mbps fine for streaming HD tv. ~$60/mo (less if you call annually and threaten to cancel.)
TV: 1 streaming TV service (YouTube TV, Sling, etc.) ~$65/mo + 1 traditional streaming service (Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc) rotated when you run out of shows. ~$15/mo
Mobile Phone: I use Mint Mobile ~$15/mo per line with 4Gb of data.
NO LAND LINE

So for you I calculate 60+65+15+3*15=$185/mo plus tax or ~$2-2.5k annually.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

vg55 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:59 pm Background:

Even in a large city you will run into peering agreements where other vendors will not compete so it's 100% dependent on your location.
But $416 a month seems excessive.

I would un-bundle phone, xfininty is a re-seller of Verizon so they will not be the cheapest or best. Check your local area for the best cell service it's probably going to be Verizon but there is going to be cheaper/better MVNO's out there. xfinity is really bilking that service.

Cut the home phone ant TV service. Yes everyone thinks they can not live without there fake 'land line' but after a year without you'll see it was a major waste of money along with that horrible tv package. Pick two major subscriptions to keep (like HBO-Max & Netflix) and then sub to a few more for a month when there's something else you want to watch then suspend them.

Get an over the air antenna for your local channels (news,sports,etc) and look at free services like Pluto.tv.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

OP may have a service that requires a home phone, like a security system.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Can you break down your costs? You must be paying for internet speed you don't need so let's start there.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Picasso wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:19 pm OP may have a service that requires a home phone, like a security system.
If so, change to a cheaper security system like SimpliSafe or Ring!
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

We only have internet and mobile (from two different providers).
For TV we used to have a rabbit ear antenna for free news, but ditched it as everything can now be streamed. There are many free and paid services (e.g. Pluto TV gives you "lots of channels" for free, you can stream PBS news on YouTube etc).
We disconnected phone landline long time ago and are not missing it.
Topic Author
vg55

Post by vg55 »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:06 pm
Can you eliminate the TV and phone? Many people get by with just internet (with a streaming service) and cell phone.
Yes, I can eliminate both. but what streaming service does one use for CNN, weather channel, MSNBC, NECN etc?

Do I need to get roku or apple TV?

thanks in advance for the help.
bubbly

Post by bubbly »

vg55 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:36 pm
Yes, I can eliminate both. but what streaming service does one use for CNN, weather channel, MSNBC, NECN etc?

Just saw another poster ask this. For local stations, you can use an antenna. For the channels you listed, I believe either sling blue or sling orange should cover it. Up to you to decide which channel lineups you want for 35 bucks. If you want sling blue + orange, it’s 50 bucks a month.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I just use local TV stations, also known as "free TV". I got rid of my landline nine years ago and haven't missed it.
adzio

Post by adzio »

Something that onourway has already alluded to above: you can scale down your existing xfinity account to a much slower data speed, they start at 50Mbps for $19.95/month for a 1yr commitment. https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service Additional discount may be available for paperless billing. 50Mbps is surprisingly sufficient for streaming on 1-2 devices, there is 0 buffering, and the browsing speed is indistinguishable from their faster plans. It would also be worth to make sure that the coax cables running from the outside tap to your house and inside your home are up-to-date - perhaps have xfinity check and potentially replace them before you downgrade - so that you have the best possible speed when you switch to a slower (and cheaper) plan.

To further reduce your monthly internet costs you could ditch the modem rental and buy your own modem which supports the max data speed of your target speed plan, in the extreme downgrade case Netgear CM500 works well with the 50Mbps plan.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

It looks like CNN is getting close to offering a streaming subscription service. It's unclear how similar it will be their cable channels. I advise similarly checking each of the other outlets you are interested in. I don't have experience with Sling, but it sounds like it also should be looked into.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/media/cn ... index.html

Amusingly, when I did a search to see what CNN currently offers ("CNN streaming cost"), this was the first hit:
http://www.cnn.com/services/newswatch/

I recognize that layout from 20 years ago when I was practicing HTML by making a similar layout. Unfortunately, the link for where to get Netscape Navigator no longer leads to the right location. :oops:

Personally, I prefer written news, and I got tired long ago with CNN's pattern of trying to exaggerate even minor news items into urgent breaking stories, which they were seldom able to provide much detail on. The Weather Channel tends to do the same with weather, and I can't get over what an absolute cesspool of clickbait their website is. It's actually a bit frustrating, because research meteorologists checking the accuracy of different weather forecasts actually have found The Weather Channel does a really good job. They just wrap it up in an unbearable amount of inane noise.

Maybe it doesn't fit your habits, but my preference would be to subscribe to online access to the local paper and one decent national paper.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Like the suggestions here, I unbundled and save a ton.

The biggest "mind switch" for me was breaking the habit of watching news and sports constantly. If you can put news and sports as a low priority, you can save boatloads of money on TV. I still get news and sports, just a lot less and more select. Kind of how it was when I was a kid stuck with free TV. You do have have to embrace streaming.

Before the switch, I was paying the following (approximately, and include tax):
- $230/month for internet, landline phone and TV
- $100/month for 2 cell lines, with almost no data

After the switch:
- $90/month for internet (AT&T fiber - bonus HBO Max). Could press the issue and get it for about $75 if I drop HBOMax.
- $2/month landline E911 (use google voice)
- $32/month for TV with a large variety of streaming services
- $65/month for cell phones using Consumer Cellular with 10G data, more than enough for me and wife.

So, from $330 to $190. And this is not bottom line. I could press this and go much lower, I just don't have the time or will to do so right now.

BTW, for Weather: I use the free "WeatherNation" streamer. This is fine. I don't miss the weather channel (also known as ice road trucker channel). WeatherNation is all weather, all the time.

For news, I mostly do online. Having it on TV in the background is not healthy for me. If you think different, there are some options on PlutoTV that are free. Or, you can get one of the other bundles from Sling and pay for it.

Also, if you have SiriusXM radio, the news is available there, including CNN and the like. Just no visuals. I occasionally listen to CNBC when markets are hot, or I listen just for the heck of it.
Wade Garrett

Post by Wade Garrett »

vg55 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:59 pm I would love to cut these two bills substantially, but how?
Clark Howard has written/spoken a lot about this subject. clark.com. See the menu bar at the top and can also use the search function.
"I'm not an inventor. I'm an improver. I see things that are wrong, and I improve them." - Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
delamer

Post by delamer »

We have friends who swear by YouTube TV, at $65/month.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Mike83

Post by Mike83 »

+1 to the recommendations to decouple from loaded packages.

But how to start?

First determine which channels are must haves.

Mobile
Consider t-mobile. They have the best packages (not talking phone "leasing" here) and the lines include all taxes and fees, a big deal. They now include Netflix as a freebie. Even better if one person is 55+.

Basic Channels
Do not buy a basic package just for local channels. Indoor antennas can be had next day from Amazon for between $15-$30. These are not rabbit ears, but digital antennas the size weight and shape of an 8x11 inch sheet of paper. Mine is stuck to a back panel of a shelf above my tv, generally facing the nearest big city in my suburban location. Took 20 minutes to set up and provides all local network channels and more with zero monthly charge.

Next Level Channels
Netflix: get the lowest package, about $9/mo. Or get t-mobile phone accounts with Netflix for free.
Amazon: If you shop Amazon and have Prime membership, Amazon Prime TV is 'free'
YouTube: If you don't watch it now, take a look. Incredible rich content. Free. (different from You Tube TV which is now about $80/mo and climbing)

Add Ons
If you have any special channel needs, first see if they can be met by Sling TV streaming. By dividing Sports programming between packages, they offer non basic channels for about $40 a month, generally half the coast of similar services from cable companies. Each package does have a sports lineup, and most people get the 'Blue' package. DW absolutely required TCM, so we had to get this. It also has the usual first tier non-local cable channels.

Even More Add Ons
for HBO+, Disney, specialty sports etc subscribe to individual streaming services for their monthly fee. These and everything above are month to month, no contracts. So you can binge watch for a month at end of season, then deactivate and save. (I don't but could).

About that land line
It can be a pain finding your ringing mobile phone in a multi-level house. Panasonic sells a line of phones, I think a package of 4-6, for a very low cost that can be plugged in around your house and require no physical phone line (unless you want to wire in a land line to the base unit). You can configure them using bluetooth to ring when you mobile phones ring, including caller id'. If needed you can then page the rest of the house. Dump your land line while maintaining house phone functionality. Been using it for years. BTW alarm systems, whether sophisticated or basic, no longer need land line phones. Ask your alarm provider for streaming compatibility or a radio module; radio is now the most secure in that an intruder has no wire to cut.

About your Cable Box
Unplug and return it (or else they may send you a bill). It also burns 40-80 watts continuously (more savings!) For the principal family tv I recommend a full feature streaming box (Apple TV or Roku); for satellite tv maybe a firestick would suffice. One time expense for your freedom.

About connection speed
My understanding is that serious gamers can benefit from high speed connections, but I am not experienced with that. My connection via ATT copper line (not Dish!) was 25MBS and worked fine for continuous video, business use, voice calls and 40 connected devices from light switches to alarm systems to lawn sprinklers that are constantly chatting with the cloud of things. ATT may have fiber in your area. I recently doubled it to 50MBS and really can't see a difference. This type of wired ISP is not really affected by neighborhood congestion, as is the case with much cable tv ISPs that tout very high MBS.

About data consumption
Your current provider can tell you how much data you consume monthly. We are home all day and the main hdtv runs (streams) even if no one actively watches, sorry to say 9am-midnite. With this usage (and all the gadgets up and downloading data) we consume about 30% of the allocated data usage. We would have to triple our usage incur a surcharge for a given month.

I did this six months ago and reduced my annual expense $1600 (from $3000) with no loss in functionality or convenience. And I already had t-mobile.
Last edited by Mike83 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

1) Shop for a better deal. Check out the alternative. How much would you pay if you go with Verizon and/or AT&T?

2) If you are interested in getting more helps, list out your service details and provide your zip code.

3) Is your mobile service with Xfinity?

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

Strongly recommend a DVR. Time shifting, commercial free, no fees.
Record news, weather, PBS (excellent news including BBC, NHK, Judy Woodruff)
Sports again without the commercials. You can watch an entire game in 2/3 of regular time.
Just no streaming channels, like ESPN, Netflix,Amazon Prime. OTA only.
Free no service fees just the cost of the equipment. $80-$250 depending on taste and electronic display of channel information. Some off brand DVR packages give this information for free. Recording is much easier than old VHS machines.
The Hi-Def signal is as good as real time signal. This was one reason I didn’t get it till I received TiVo for free. DVR should be everyone’s starting place for cord cutting
HVAC
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

We used Hulu Live for about 1 1/2 years & now use Direct Stream.
Gertrude

Post by Gertrude »

You are an ideal candidate to do an internet only package with xfinity (Comcast), and then get your cellular through them as well (xfinity mobile). This is what we do. We have the internet tier that gives 100+ mbps for $75 a month. We have 4 people sharing 3 GB a month and only pay $42 a month for cellular. We watch all of our content free through YouTube videos and Tubi/Pluto. You can still replicate all the channels you currently watch through an online tv package (others can chime in), and you will still come out way ahead.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I live in Rhode Island. I have unlimited phone, text, and data for 4 phones and a mobile hotspot, which is how I access the Internet at home, for about $140 a month from Consumer Cellular. I also fork out about $50 a month to Cox to get an Ethernet connection since my septic system speaks only Ethernet to its maintenance company. So that's about $2400 a year. Without Cox it is about $1700 a year.

I lived very happily with a vhf and uhf antenna for television where I lived before, but I haven't found anyone here to install antennas. I play the occasional DVD for films, but not much; I get all the news I need from the Internet.

I have four phones since they approximate land line service which I need as an older person. Verizon pulled landline service out of our area with no notice. One day the phones just went dead.
gips

Post by gips »

$40 month for 300mbps internet service from fios
$25 month per phone for visible phone
$30 month for hbo and netflix
$2-$3 month for ooma, about to dump since cell coverage is good
we were already amazon prime users
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

egrets wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:00 am I live in Rhode Island. I have unlimited phone, text, and data for 4 phones and a mobile hotspot, which is how I access the Internet at home, for about $140 a month from Consumer Cellular. I also fork out about $50 a month to Cox to get an Ethernet connection since my septic system speaks only Ethernet to its maintenance company. So that's about $2400 a year. Without Cox it is about $1700 a year.

I lived very happily with a vhf and uhf antenna for television where I lived before, but I haven't found anyone here to install antennas. I play the occasional DVD for films, but not much; I get all the news I need from the Internet.

I have four phones since they approximate land line service which I need as an older person. Verizon pulled landline service out of our area with no notice. One day the phones just went dead.
We have Consumer Cellular for our mobile service. In August we cancelled our landline service, purchased a ZTE wireless base from CC & connected our home phones to it. Works great & certainly is less expensive.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

FuboTV - $65 (2 streams, DVR up to 250 GB, 115 channels with local). With Roku/Apple devices, ours are hooked up to 5 tv's, accessible on pc/laptop/phones, and can login to many channel apps if need be for VOD.
Consumer Cellular - $65 (2 lines unlimited everything)
Xfinity Internet - $59 (200 mbps speed, 1.2T GB) I own the modem and router.

$2268 per year.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

The following is what I pay for connection services:
$50 per month for 150 MPS Cox Internet (I own the router),
$15 per month for cell phone 2G Tello (I had magic jack for my home phone I got rid of it),
$10 per month for Netflix, and
$5 per month for Apple TV.
$80 per month grand total
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I pay 25$ for one line of prepaid Verizon (5Gb) and 35$ for 300mbps internet +10$ equipment (ATT fiber, for cable I own a modem). Yes, it is outrageous and the service is bad comparing to other parts of the world but is still far from 3000$.
I also pay 12$ or whatever it is for Netflix, I have amazon prime and Disney plus for my kid (I should cancel Disney, we rarely watch it).

I did not have cable or a landline phone since 2005, I find CNN etc and pretty much any TV channel unwatchable. I would not watch them if they were free, forget about paying 100$ per month. The idea of having content delivered at fixed times instead of when you want to watch it, bloated with commercials, not being able to skip just does not make any sense to me.