Costco Executive Member Rebate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Costco Executive Member Rebate

Post by sport »

I just received my Costco 2% rebate certificate. It states it is not redeemable for cash. However, it is larger than my usual Costco purchases. If I use it to pay for a purchase that is less than the certificate amount, what happens to the difference? Will they give me cash in change, or a Costco shop card, or something else? This situation is not explained in the terms and conditions for using the rebate.
heartwood

Re: Costco Executive Member Rebate

Post by heartwood »

Despite it being Costco it may actually vary by warehouse.

Here's my thread from early this year: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=338021&hilit=costco

Things may have changed as well. I got mine at a time I would not go into a warehouse. I contacted corp HQ and there was no option to send in for cash or Shop card, or use for an online order. I eventually got to a warehouse. I wanted cash for it to get the addtl credit. They would not cash it at Customer Service, I was told to go to the cashier. I paid for my goods and then tried to "cash" the certificate. I was told it says redeemable for merchandise not cash. I went a second time and used it to purchase.

I've heard that they will refund small amounts of cash to you if you don't meet the certificate total.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

It is easier to convert it to Costco shop card. And you can also use the shop card to purchase items on Costco.com
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

sport wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:36 pm I just received my Costco 2% rebate certificate. It states it is not redeemable for cash. However, it is larger than my usual Costco purchases. If I use it to pay for a purchase that is less than the certificate amount, what happens to the difference? Will they give me cash in change, or a Costco shop card, or something else? This situation is not explained in the terms and conditions for using the rebate.
I went to the customer service counter, and apply the rebate towards my renewal. Then they gave me the extra as cash.
Earned 34 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
AZInvestor2022

Post by AZInvestor2022 »

You can apply to your renewal fee or use it for your purchase. If your purchase is less than the rebate check, you will get cash back.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

As I understand it, that phrasing just means you can't cash the check at a bank, you have to take it to Costco to get the cash.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

Customer Service desk will normally give you cash but will also give you a check, if you request, that you can then deposit in your bank.
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

orlandoman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:14 pm Customer Service desk will normally give you cash but will also give you a check, if you request, that you can then deposit in your bank.
That is what they did in past years. However, this year, the certificated is marked "not redeemable for cash". That marking was not present in the past.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

sport wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:23 pm
orlandoman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:14 pm Customer Service desk will normally give you cash but will also give you a check, if you request, that you can then deposit in your bank.
That is what they did in past years. However, this year, the certificated is marked "not redeemable for cash". That marking was not present in the past.
Just ask to apply it to your renewal, and they should give you the rest, i did this today. (no joke)
Earned 34 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

sport wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:23 pm
I used mine to pay for a purchase, and got the remainder of about $100 in cash. I don't know if there are limits to the amount of change they will give though.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

I made a purchase and got the balance in cash.

You forfeit the normal Costco Visa 2 % rebate and Executive Member 2 % rebate on any purchase you apply the rebate check to. So, to the extent you get the balance in cash, you are saving a bit of money.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

Thanks everyone!