TV for existing wall mount

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Darth Xanadu

TV for existing wall mount

Post by Darth Xanadu »

I recently moved into a new home, there is an existing wall mount for a TV on one of the walls. From what I can see online, all these TVs are described as "VESA compliant" which as I understand it is a mounting/measurement standard. But then if I'm understanding things correctly, there are a number of different measurements within the VESA system (so it's not clear to me whether or not any particular TV I purchase will fit the wall mount that is already installed).

Clearly, I'm missing something (besides a TV). I also don't have any information about the existing wall mount other than what I can measure/see.

Any thoughts? I could just order one and return it if it doesn't fit but I figured there must be some way to ascertain compatibility.

Thanks,
DX
Rdytoretire

Re: TV for existing wall mount

Post by Rdytoretire »

You probably don't have much to worry about as long as you don't try to install a TV that is too large for the mount.

Because most TVs and mounts conform to the Video Electronics Stands Association (or, VESA) standard, it’s easy to fit nearly any television to nearly any mount. But simply attaching the television is only half the battle – the mount itself must be able to support the TV, or else it can weaken and drop the set.

https://blog.puls.com/does-it-matter-wh ... unt-to-buy

Most wall brackets available are ‘universal’ so can be adjusted to fit a variety of different screen sizes.

https://www.linsar.com/2015/12/09/which ... for-my-tv/
Topic Author
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

Rdytoretire wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:49 pm You probably don't have much to worry about as long as you don't try to install a TV that is too large for the mount.

Because most TVs and mounts conform to the Video Electronics Stands Association (or, VESA) standard, it’s easy to fit nearly any television to nearly any mount. But simply attaching the television is only half the battle – the mount itself must be able to support the TV, or else it can weaken and drop the set.

https://blog.puls.com/does-it-matter-wh ... unt-to-buy
Thanks, I'm looking at a 43" screen so hopefully it won't be an issue.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

This is a typical wall mount. It is universal and designed to fit TV's many/most VESA sizes.

https://mount-it.com/products/long-exte ... DCEALw_wcB
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

[/quote]

Thanks, I'm looking at a 43" screen so hopefully it won't be an issue.
[/quote]

You are welcome. I think most mounts can handle a 43" easily.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

The VESA mounting pattern is simply the dimension between the mounting holes in the TV. VESA100 = 100 x 100 mm mounting pattern, VESA 200 = 200 mm and so on. A 43" will probably be VESA 200. If the previous TV was an 80" the mount will likely be too big. If it was a 32" it might only be VESA 100.

Old TVs used to be much heavier. My first 52" flat panel weights about 85 pounds. The 65" I replaced it with weighs about 20. A 10 year old mount will have no issues holding up a new TV, assuming the mounting pattern matches the holes in the mount.

Note the bolts that go into the TV will be metric - M6 IIRC for a 40ish inch. Normally an assortment of bolts and spacers come with the mount, so if you don't have those you will need to make a trip to the hardware store. You will have to determine the length and any need for spacers once you have the TV.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Simple answer is to pick out the television you want, buy a new mounting bracket, install and enjoy. Why let the existing bracket dictate what TV you can purchase?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

what is the measurement between the holes on the existing bracket? If there are multiple sets, measure them all. Most mounts support several standards. For example, the arm I put up last year: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Supports nine different standards up through 400x400:
400X400/400x300/400x200/300x300/300X200/200x200/200x100/100x100/75x75 mm

Once you have those measurements, I'm guessing you'll find at least one that's compatible with whatever TV you're looking at.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Darth Xanadu wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:22 pm I recently moved into a new home, there is an existing wall mount for a TV on one of the walls. From what I can see online, all these TVs are described as "VESA compliant" which as I understand it is a mounting/measurement standard. But then if I'm understanding things correctly, there are a number of different measurements within the VESA system (so it's not clear to me whether or not any particular TV I purchase will fit the wall mount that is already installed).

Clearly, I'm missing something (besides a TV). I also don't have any information about the existing wall mount other than what I can measure/see.

Any thoughts? I could just order one and return it if it doesn't fit but I figured there must be some way to ascertain compatibility.

Thanks,
DX
It's been a while since I dealt with wall mounting a tv, but my memory is that the typical wall mount system had a separate plate that fastened to the back of the TV. The plate would typically have mounting holes for any variation of the VESA mount points, and you could screw in a half-dozen or so to fasten it solidly. Then you could lift the TV and slot the plate into the wall mount fairly easily and have just a locking screw to fasten at that point. In your situation, I might be concerned that that plate left the house still fastened to the back of the previous occupants TV. If that's the case, it's probably easier to buy a new mount than trying to track down a random part from years ago (the plates aren't standard).