Curbside mailbox security options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kiwisun

Curbside mailbox security options

Post by kiwisun »

Hi folks!

One quick question: the mailboxes for homes where i love are by the curb and anyone can take the mail out.

I saw some mailboxes seeling at specialize retail stores that could be an option but anyone that really wants my letters or small packages could run them over with a car and take the secure mailboxes with them to access the contents inside.

How have other folks solve this?

Can I simply move the mailbox closer to the front door and notify the post office of so?

Thank you!
oldcomputerguy

Re: Curbside mailbox security options

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I sympathize completely. Once, a long time ago, my wife (who at the time was getting her paychecks in the mail) had one of her paychecks stolen from our mailbox. Our solution unfortunately was simply to get a PO box at our local post office and direct anything sensitive to that address. We don't get anything financial or private at the home mailbox; it generally only gets the left-over junk mail.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

kiwisun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:43 am How have other folks solve this?
If you live in an area where mail theft is common, you probably want to have everything delivered to a PO Box.
Can I simply move the mailbox closer to the front door and notify the post office of so?
Probably not.

Ask your postmaster. But if mail is delivered via truck, it's unlikely the mail delivery person is going to get out and walk to your front door.
Just remember: it's not a lie if you believe it.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I have a mailbox by the road; when I mail items, I take them to an USPS mailbox. Mailboxes by the road are designed so the carrier doesn't get out and their timing and tracking (the new vehicles have tracking devices on them so the manager can see where they are) is reflective of that, thus ask the local manager. My neighbors are both infirm and in their 90's; they were given permission to put the mailbox next to the front door - the carrier has to park, lock the vehicle and go up, thus affecting his stats. When there is a relief carrier, they frequently miss the house. There are mailboxes which have slots and a lock for the owner, so the carrier can slide the letters in, but that is a local decision it appears.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

You can pay to have a mason build a concrete pillar mailbox (with a locking mail receptical).These are virtually indestructible. There are a few scattered around my neighborhood. I checked into the cost and decided against it...approx $3000.
Last edited by samsoes on Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Taking mail from someone else's mailbox is a serious crime.

There are, I believe, standards for mail box placement. And simply moving it closer to your front door is probably not an option if others in your neighborhood have their mail boxes by the curbside and you have a mailman that utilizes a vehicle to deliver mail. My deceased parents, whose home was built decades ago, had a mail slot built into their house. All the other homes that were built at that time in their neighborhood also had the built-in slots--there weren't curbside mail boxes in their area. So the mailman who walked the route just delivered mail through the slot and it fell in and onto the floor of our closed front porch. I really liked that by the way--especially in winter.

If you are that concerned, as other poster mentioned, having a post office box may solve your issue.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

We've had a curbside mailbox at the bottom of a long driveway for 20 years with no problem of theft (Washington, DC suburb). Obviously, a bigger problem in some neighborhoods. Ask the neighbors if this has been an issue in the past.

We are signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery program, so I get an email every day showing me a scan of the letters sent. Free service and highly recommended. At least you will know if a letter goes missing.
AA 70/30: 30% S&P, 16% SCV&LCV, 14% intl, 10% EM, 30% short/int govt bonds. Pension now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses. What me worry?
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Sorry to hear people are going to risk jail time to steal what, invoices and maybe a check if they are lucky? Around here it is packages that are the issue for obvious reasons, the contents are easy to sell. Have you considered putting up a camera and sign to indicate the box is being watched? Even a fake camera should help some.
100% Global Stocks / Ibond Emergency Fund
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:00 am Taking mail from someone else's mailbox is a serious crime.

There are, I believe, standards for mail box placement. And simply moving it closer to your front door is probably not an option if others in your neighborhood have their mail boxes by the curbside and you have a mailman that utilizes a vehicle to deliver mail. My deceased parents, whose home was built decades ago, had a mail slot built into their house. All the other homes that were built at that time in their neighborhood also had the built-in slots--there weren't curbside mail boxes in their area. So the mailman who walked the route just delivered mail through the slot and it fell in and onto the floor of our closed front porch. I really liked that by the way--especially in winter.

If you are that concerned, as other poster mentioned, having a post office box may solve your issue.
Yes, there are standards, it has to be a certain height and distance from the road so the carrier doesn't normally have to get out.
https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Just because any can doesn’t mean anyone does.

You’re probably looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

kiwisun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:43 am Hi folks!

One quick question: the mailboxes for homes where i love are by the curb and anyone can take the mail out.

I saw some mailboxes seeling at specialize retail stores that could be an option but anyone that really wants my letters or small packages could run them over with a car and take the secure mailboxes with them to access the contents inside.

Thank you!
Set up a camera that would easily capture a license plate. Seal a very tempting looking box with dog poop inside, call the cops.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

adestefan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:22 am Just because any can doesn’t mean anyone does.

You’re probably looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
Yeah I'm guessing this is very location dependent. I've never had anything stolen out of my mailbox by the street in 20 years. Never even crossed my mind honestly.
wanderer

Post by wanderer »

We needed a temporary mailbox this summer while living away from home. UPS (brown truck folks) have "PMBs" (private/personal mail boxes) in their stores for a fee similar to PO boxes from the USPS.

Good: We were notified when any mail was delivered (by text/email), and they were able to receive deliveries from all carriers (we utilized USPS, FedEx, and UPS). "

"Bad": cost was ~$30/month for the short-term lease.

It worked well for us.
BreadandButter

Post by BreadandButter »

If you are usually home in the daytime, a “mail chime” can alert you when your mail is delivered. It sounds when the mailbox is opened. We had to put ours on a plug in outlet timer, though so the 2AM mail thieves didn’t wake us. Mail theft has become rampant in our region. The locking mailboxes are not much of a deterrent.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

We keep a PO Box for the "important stuff".
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Thank you!
Roadside mailboxes have always been prone to vandalism for all kinds of neighborhoods.

And Amazon et al has contributed to more thefts at front door steps.

Where I used to live, we had more vandalism during the summer when kids were bored and someone actually used a baseball bat and smashed many mailboxes in my neighborhood. Well, the young man was finally arrested and it turned out that his daddy held a high political position in the city. He got off easy probably due to his dad’s political clout.

Anyway, if the OP is very concerned about mailbox security, he should pay for a POB for all important mail.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Thank you!
1. Have you had mail stolen?
2. Have your neighbors had mail stolen?
3. Security mailbox with keyed access for you to clear it out. (will not fit small packages).
4. Remote location P.O.Box at 3rd party or at USPS locally.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

A year ago I bought a large heavy duty secured and locked mailbox. I regret it. Despite the enormous size the theft prevention mail slot limits capacity to that of a normal mailbox, the postman dislikes it, and it looks ugly.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

eye.surgeon wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:03 pm A year ago I bought a large heavy duty secured and locked mailbox. I regret it. Despite the enormous size the theft prevention mail slot limits capacity to that of a normal mailbox, the postman dislikes it, and it looks ugly.
+1
We did too. It now sits in the garage.
Fortunately, our area switched to a large bank of central located mailboxes with large package locked bins, etc. So, in the long run, we didn't need any mailbox.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

I have an Oasis Jr mailbox. It has a door in the top the postman puts the mail in. It falls into a lower section which I access via a locked door. Someone tried to open the lower door with a screwdriver and failed. Recently someone used something bigger and broke the lock. I bought a replacement lock that was stronger.

This is great for letters and small packages. Larger packages get a sticky note left on the door if I'm not home and I go pick it up at the post office. I'm fine with that. The full size Oasis is a bit larger if you think the Jr is too small.

If you're worried that someone will just run it over and take the whole box, you need a more substantial mounting structure. Mine is on a 6x6 post with a 2x10 and heavy screws. The post is positioned in such a way that it is difficult for a car to run it over (it is back from the road, and there is a little paved pullout for the mail truck, but you have to turn quickly to get out or else you'll hit boulders and trees). You could put a chain around it and pull it off with a truck though...

If it has to be by the road, you could mount it on a heavier steel I beam. We have a lot of mail theft in our neighborhood. I've never seen anyone try to run a mailbox over to take it -- they just tend to use screwdrivers, crowbars, or just reach in and take it if it isn't a locking type.

I don't understand why there is so much mail theft now days. I guess you get the occasional credit or debit card update or maybe blank checks. Checks and money in the mail seem to be rare anymore (isn't Social Security all direct deposit now??).
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
SocalLiving

Post by SocalLiving »

When we bought our house, our security cameras caught someone going through all the mailboxes on the street almost every morning. We talked to the postman who delivers our mail and he recommended replacing the mailbox with a locked one. We did exactly that, and have never had to worry about our mail. The slot is big enough for mail, bulky envelopes, and small packages, but its impossible to stick your hand in.
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

calmaniac wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:04 am We've had a curbside mailbox at the bottom of a long driveway for 20 years with no problem of theft (Washington, DC suburb). Obviously, a bigger problem in some neighborhoods. Ask the neighbors if this has been an issue in the past.

We are signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery program, so I get an email every day showing me a scan of the letters sent. Free service and highly recommended. At least you will know if a letter goes missing.
This service is super useful, was not familiar with it, thank you for pointing it out.
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:47 am I sympathize completely. Once, a long time ago, my wife (who at the time was getting her paychecks in the mail) had one of her paychecks stolen from our mailbox. Our solution unfortunately was simply to get a PO box at our local post office and direct anything sensitive to that address. We don't get anything financial or private at the home mailbox; it generally only gets the left-over junk mail.
Got it, thank you. I can do that. I was under the impression banks, vanguard and fidelity did not allow POBox. But now seeing folks recommending I need to look into this. With delivery for Vanguard, fidelity and banks I would only have to use the POBox address's for credit/debit card replacements.

Will research if I can have a POBix address for any Social security or IRS communjcation. If so, then my problem is solved. Thank you
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

samsoes wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:59 am You can pay to have a mason build a concrete pillar mailbox (with a locking mail receptical).These are virtually indestructible. There are a few scattered around my neighborhood. I checked into the cost and decided against it...approx $3000.
Got it, thank you for sharing.
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:00 am Taking mail from someone else's mailbox is a serious crime.

Thank you
Last edited by kiwisun on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 am

Thank you!
3. Security mailbox with keyed access for you to clear it out. (will not fit small packages).

Great questions. I am just overly cautious with any vectors that can raise my exposure to be a victim of some sort of identity theft.
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

SocalLiving wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:07 pm When we bought our house, our security cameras caught someone going through all the mailboxes on the street almost every morning. We talked to the postman who delivers our mail and he recommended replacing the mailbox with a locked one. We did exactly that, and have never had to worry about our mail. The slot is big enough for mail, bulky envelopes, and small packages, but its impossible to stick your hand in.
Got it. Would it be possible to share the model you are using for reference?
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

BreadandButter wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:55 am If you are usually home in the daytime, a “mail chime” can alert you when your mail is delivered. It sounds when the mailbox is opened. We had to put ours on a plug in outlet timer, though so the 2AM mail thieves didn’t wake us. Mail theft has become rampant in our region. The locking mailboxes are not much of a deterrent.
The mail chime is handy. I could definitely leverage this when I am WFH.
Topic Author
kiwisun

Post by kiwisun »

suemarkp wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:07 pm I have an Oasis Jr mailbox. It has a door in the top the postman puts the mail in. It falls into a lower section which I access via a locked door. Someone tried to open the lower door with a screwdriver and failed. Recently someone used something bigger and broke the lock. I bought a replacement lock that was stronger.

This is great for letters and small packages. Larger packages get a sticky note left on the door if I'm not home and I go pick it up at the post office. I'm fine with that. The full size Oasis is a bit larger if you think the Jr is too small.

If you're worried that someone will just run it over and take the whole box, you need a more substantial mounting structure. Mine is on a 6x6 post with a 2x10 and heavy screws. The post is positioned in such a way that it is difficult for a car to run it over (it is back from the road, and there is a little paved pullout for the mail truck, but you have to turn quickly to get out or else you'll hit boulders and trees). You could put a chain around it and pull it off with a truck though...

If it has to be by the road, you could mount it on a heavier steel I beam. We have a lot of mail theft in our neighborhood. I've never seen anyone try to run a mailbox over to take it -- they just tend to use screwdrivers, crowbars, or just reach in and take it if it isn't a locking type.

I don't understand why there is so much mail theft now days. I guess you get the occasional credit or debit card update or maybe blank checks. Checks and money in the mail seem to be rare anymore (isn't Social Security all direct deposit now??).
Thank you for sharing the model and options.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

kiwisun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:05 pm I was under the impression banks, vanguard and fidelity did not allow POBox. But now seeing folks recommending I need to look into this. With delivery for Vanguard, fidelity and banks I would only have to use the POBox address's for credit/debit card replacements.
I have my brick-and-mortar bank and Fidelity (actually Elan Financial) set up to send replacement cards to my PO box, no worries. Plus, all my financial statements are PDFs downloaded from the institutions, so they don't come to my home mailbox either.
SocalLiving

Post by SocalLiving »

kiwisun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:11 pm
SocalLiving wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:07 pm When we bought our house, our security cameras caught someone going through all the mailboxes on the street almost every morning. We talked to the postman who delivers our mail and he recommended replacing the mailbox with a locked one. We did exactly that, and have never had to worry about our mail. The slot is big enough for mail, bulky envelopes, and small packages, but its impossible to stick your hand in.
Got it. Would it be possible to share the model you are using for reference?

Mail Boss 7506 Mail Manager Curbside Locking Security Mailbox, Black,Large
$99 Ships and sold by Amazon.
The same brand and model might be available at Home Depot or equivalent.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (mailbox).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We pay and receive bills online.
We get automatic deposits for paychecks and other income.
Other than seasonal cards, all we get in our mailbox is solicitations and other junk mail. If a thief wants to save me the trouble of emptying it, more power to them but I don't think I have ever had anything removed other than by me.
Red Zebra

Post by Red Zebra »

I second the suggestion of SocalLiving regarding the Mail Boss locking mail box. We have the 7106 model and also use the Ground post with it, model 7121. The post is sunk in concrete and I added a 4x4 on the inside of the post for additional security. It provides large degree of security.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

kiwisun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Thank you!

Great questions. I am just overly cautious with any vectors that can raise my exposure to be a victim of some sort of identity theft.
Overly cautious may well be the case. Personally, I would not bother taking all those precautions unless this is a problem where you live.

My mailbox is on the street at the home where I have lived for the past 30+ years. To my knowledge nothing has ever been stolen from my mailbox or my neighbors' mailboxes. Practically all of the things I receive that would concern me about identity theft are delivered digitally these days anyway.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

kiwisun wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 pm

Thank you!

The other part of the equation is to shred anything with sensitive information on it. Some people shred anything with their name on it, though that's probably going too far for most people.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I will third the suggestion of USPS Informed Delivery. It's great to know what you're expecting so you know which days you actually care about your mail delivery. :) Today I will be getting a statement for my wife's HSA and a bunch of junk.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Camera is not going to help much at night which is when mail theft usually occurs.
In my camera I see the crooks parking at the other end of the street in the middle of the night and then running down the street raiding all the mailboxes.
Neighbors put up a sign saying the mailbox is being watched with no effect.
A locking mailbox may help as a thief likely won't stop to break it. Though it won't slow down a determined thief with a crowbar.
But simply emptying the mailbox every evening works fine for me. 90% of the mail we get is spam anyway.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

POB = POM (Peace of Mind).

Love how, because of my POB, USPS allows the local post office to be a receiving area for all my UPS/Fedex/and other large parcels.
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 am
We pay and receive bills online.
We get automatic deposits for paychecks and other income.
Other than seasonal cards, all we get in our mailbox is solicitations and other junk mail. If a thief wants to save me the trouble of emptying it, more power to them but I don't think I have ever had anything removed other than by me.
+1

Instead of getting a more secure mailbox I would spend the effort on doing everything online. Can’t remember the last piece of critical mail I got
Tom0026

Post by Tom0026 »

In our semi-rural area many folks use Fort Knox Mailboxes. 1/4" steel. They can't be pried open with a simple crowbar and won't be damaged by a baseball bat. They are a bit more spendy than the big box store versions.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

We have 8 houses using same USPS-provided/installed multi-box unit with individually keyed boxes. Also has a couple of large package boxes that postman puts key for in your small box when needed. Postman likes as it's one-stop vs. 8. One unit is a lot less appearance mess too. No homeowner maintenance issue either.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

gerntz wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:05 pm We have 8 houses using same USPS-provided/installed multi-box unit with individually keyed boxes. Also has a couple of large package boxes that postman puts key for in your small box when needed. Postman likes as it's one-stop vs. 8. One unit is a lot less appearance mess too. No homeowner maintenance issue either.
We had these in our old house.
Unfortunately all mailboxes of this type share the same master key which is easy for the thieves to get ahold of.
They would empty all 8 mailboxes in one go.