Hiring a Nanny: Background Check Providers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
teaman

Hiring a Nanny: Background Check Providers

Post by teaman »

Hi Folks,

Do y'all have any recommendations for background check providers for a potential nanny hire? Looking for criminal (federal/state), child abuse, driving history etc. checks. Not interested in care.com or Sittercity checks.
galving

Re: Hiring a Nanny: Background Check Providers

Post by galving »

In our experience we used an service provider that matched up nannies and families.
It was not super cost efficient, I think it was 1.5 x Nanny Monthly Salary. As part of the service they provided a series of background checks.
It's been extremely successful, as we've had the nanny for >6 years. . . though it is admittedly a small sample size.
Our best practice has been to 'train' the new nanny with all the expectations, the routines, etc., and document them in an agreement.
Good luck!
Topic Author
teaman

Post by teaman »

Bumping the post
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

Checkr, Sterling and Justifacts are the sites that we have used previously for background checks on Employees
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

If you live nearby a larger city, I would find a firm that does background checks for employers, and have them do it for you. In my area, a subsidiary of a private investigation firm does that kind of work. Be aware that the more detailed you want them to be, the more expensive it gets. Not cheap for a detailed investigation. Just for example, do you want them to look at social media post history? That can really uncover a lot about an applicant's lifestyle.