Spirit airline: Solo travel from NY to west coast

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ps2me11

Spirit airline: Solo travel from NY to west coast

Post by ps2me11 »

With so much going in flying world, I am bit concerned should I book my travel with Spirit airline which saves atleast $300 for me. I am single traveler so not much worried about the comfort in flight but concerned about travel cancelation or delay. Never experienced with spirit before. What do you think? Thanks in advance.
brad.clarkston

Re: Spirit airline: Solo travel from NY to west coast

Post by brad.clarkston »

Spirit is a very rock bottom budget airline.
I stopped letting the wife book flights after our third Spirit flight they make Southwest look like a high tier flight.

While there very cheap, life is to short to be miserable all the time.
iljets10

Post by iljets10 »

Have you checked the price including the cost of a carry-on and any checked luggage you plan on bringing? Spirit has pretty high per-leg fees per bag that can help bridge the gap in cost. I typically find that the fare differential is not as much as it would seem, especially if you want to choose where you will sit and plan on bringing any luggage.

https://www.spirit.com/optional-services
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

I would never fly Spirit Airlines.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Spirit can be a good deal if you need to save money.

That being said, be ready for a truly rock bottom travel experience.

But, even before traveling, be sure that you know Spirit's arcane rules (there are travel sites which describe how to navigate them). Failure to abide by Spirit's rules will result in additional fees. Those fees will quickly wipe out any savings you thought you were getting.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

After my last Spirit experience, where halfway down the runway they had to slam on brakes and abort takeoff and go back to the terminal due to a mechanical issue, I swore I'd never fly spirit again. I went to a different carrier and gladly paid twice as much that day (actually the company paid it).

Keep in mind they charge you for bags you bring on board.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

brad.clarkston wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 pm Spirit is a very rock bottom budget airline.
I stopped letting the wife book flights after our third Spirit flight they make Southwest look like a high tier flight.

Is Spirit the one where you pay extra for a chair?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Not a matter of "if" rather "when" Spirit will leave you stranded with no recourse. We recently had a Family Reunion in SE Michigan when a Cousin & his DW booked Spirit from Houston to Detroit. Day they were to leave their flight was cancelled, so they missed the Reunion. Their Son did make it, but he used United. Not worth the risk if you ask me..... :annoyed
It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Don't buy any annuity. Your future self or your heirs will thank you. - Author AllMostThere
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

I flew with them once. It was a horror, and I am not a ‘fussy’ traveler. I would not fly with them again, EVER, under ANY circumstances.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Dasnyc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:44 pm I flew with them once. It was a horror, and I am not a ‘fussy’ traveler. I would not fly with them again, EVER, under ANY circumstances.
Sounds like RyanAir. I used to take them from Brussels to Dublin for weekenders (~10-20 euros round trip) but that was a 30 minute flight and my bag was a small overnighter under my seat. Not much could go wrong.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Lambert Strether

Post by Lambert Strether »

I took a couple of short (Miami-Orlando) round trips on Spirit, and the experiences were so unpleasant in various ways that I vowed never again. Moreover, they charged for particulars that were included with no added cost by other airlines, so in the end savings were minimal. A cross-country trip on Spirit sounds to me like agony.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Spirit is better than they were 5-6 years ago. They're still a budget experience.

If you're at a point in your life when you don't mind reading some terms and conditions to save $100 and dealing with a smaller seat and a budget experience and a la carte everything, then it could be worth it.

I don't think spirit flights are much more likely to be cancelled. But if you do get delayed on spirit their network is not as vast as the major carriers. Basically, I think there's less of a chance you get routed through another city and still get there later that day.

There was a point in my life when I regularly flew spirit round trip for obscenely low prices. I'm less inclined to fly them now, mainly because I'm older and a little softer.

If you read negative reviews about spirit airlines I would also encourage you to type in your major airline of choice + problem into your favorite search engine and see what you find.
Last edited by blastoff on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

pizzy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:57 pm I would never fly Spirit Airlines.
+1
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Friends don’t let friends fly Spirit

=======================
plog

Post by plog »

Whenever I feel like I am starting to have faith in humanity's intelligence I read reviews for Spirit airlines:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-airlines-dallas-2

It's 2021--no more bad reviews of Spirit Airlines need to be written--it's common knowledge. Yet somehow everyone thinks they are going to beat the system and have a not-horrible experience flying with them across country for $200. Then when their super low expectations aren't met they feel the need to add one more drop of a bad review into the ocean that is their reputation. Like that will matter to the next budget flyer thinking they will be the lucky one.

At some point you stop being mad at the bully and get mad at all the spindly kids who just quietly takes their torment. So please, book that trip and be sure to write a review afterward.
w5000

Post by w5000 »

Don't forget (at least last I knew) that on most of Spirit's planes, the seats do not recline.
FrugalFed

Post by FrugalFed »

w5000 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:49 pm Don't forget (at least last I knew) that on most of Spirit's planes, the seats do not recline.
FWIW, I actually don't think this is a bad thing. Their seat pitch is 28 inches, so I think it's a perk nobody in front of me will be slamming their seatback into my knees (I'm tall). I actually was more comfortable in a Spirit seat the time I flew them than I was in some seats on legacy airlines in economy. (Spirit claims their seat design provides more functional legroom, which actually seems true to an extent).

That said, by making the seat thinner, it's less comfortable. I might fly them for a flight under 3 hours, say, but a transcon might be another matter. I also found the service, etc., better than I expected when I flew them. Beware, though: they aren't in an interline agreement, so if your Spirit flight gets canceled, you have to wait for the next available departure on Spirit (they ain't putting you on Delta).
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

If you research what you are getting, and how the baggage fees and their odd size classifications work, I don't think Spirit is that bad if you are massively saving. My only recommendation is to always fly non stop with Spirit, never, ever, have a layover connection, as they do have delays that can result in missed connections, and they don't rebook you on other airlines. This can result in days being stuck somewhere en route. If you can't get a direct non stop flight with Spirit, choose another airline.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

mr_brightside wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:38 pm Friends don’t let friends fly Spirit

=======================
I wouldn't let someone I dislike fly Spirit.
Granted I'm far more grumpy in my old age.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I’ve flown spirit several times, no issues. While they are not my go to airline, if the savings are decent (after add ons) I’d use them.

I think part of the issue with spirit is they have fewer planes and flights. So if your plane has a mechanical issue, they may not be able to swap out another at the same airport like united or whoever.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

SquawkIdent wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:27 pm
pizzy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:57 pm I would never fly Spirit Airlines.
+1
+ another one
Omalley

Post by Omalley »

Flew them many times and never have had an issue. Go into the experience with realistic expectations and some flexibility.
Exhilarate

Post by Exhilarate »

Flew them for first time this May, round trip EWR-FLL.
Guess I got lucky, no delays or issues. One leg didn't have Wifi, but that's about it. Wouldn't be my first choice but I'd definitely consider again.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

FrugalFed wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:37 pm
w5000 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:49 pm Don't forget (at least last I knew) that on most of Spirit's planes, the seats do not recline.
FWIW, I actually don't think this is a bad thing. Their seat pitch is 28 inches, so I think it's a perk nobody in front of me will be slamming their seatback into my knees (I'm tall). I actually was more comfortable in a Spirit seat the time I flew them than I was in some seats on legacy airlines in economy. (Spirit claims their seat design provides more functional legroom, which actually seems true to an extent).

That said, by making the seat thinner, it's less comfortable. I might fly them for a flight under 3 hours, say, but a transcon might be another matter. I also found the service, etc., better than I expected when I flew them. Beware, though: they aren't in an interline agreement, so if your Spirit flight gets canceled, you have to wait for the next available departure on Spirit (they ain't putting you on Delta).
+1 on preferring seats that don't recline. I wish more airlines would do this.

I am not tall but also hate having my space squeezed further by a reclined seat in front of me. Sure, I suppose I can do the same and recline my seat but I try hard to avoid doing this, assuming someone is seated behind me.

Have never flown Spirit, and will actively avoid in the future based on this thread alone.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

If you decide it's super worth it to do Spirit $$$-wise, just try not to get a flight near the end of the day. Those are the flights that are cancelled the most since any problem beforehand during the day will domino to them. Plus, if you get stuck, you have the highest chance of having to sleep in the airport.

Personally, the savings have never seemed worth it to me.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I hate Spirit, ironically they went with that name hoping to lipstick a pig. It's like taking a public bus only worse.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

Think of flying on Spirit as being similar to the risk you take with investing in options...on margin.

You will be nickled and dimed - I seriously doubt that your final price with Spirit will save $300 compared to the majors for your coast to coast travel.

If you get bumped or your flight is canceled, you may not get to your destination for days and you will absorb all additional costs until your rebooked flight

There are very good deals to be found on all of the major airlines. Be patient, and when you do find the fare for the destination you want, jump on it.

Earlier in the year, I did fly on Frontier when going by myself and manged to fly for $39 round trip PHL/MIA and pulled it off with no additional fees. I did however arrive at around 1:30 AM (with on time arrival) and slept in the terminal until about 7AM. I put Frontier in the same category as Spirit, but I was willing to risk it on that trip.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

For me, saving a few hundred dollars isn't worth the risk especially if the dates you've chosen are crucial.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

OP - I don't know your travel dates or the airports you're looking to travel between, but I did just check on kayak:

Round trip EWR/LAX on United 12/7-12/14 nonstop Basic Economy is $153
Round trip JFK/LAX on Delta 12/7-12/14 nonstop Basic Economy is $153
Round trip JFK/LAX on Jet Blue 12/7-12/14 nonstop Basic Economy is $156

Be flexible on your dates and airports (there are lots of options/combinations between NYC and LA/SF airports) and you can get a great fare without stooping so low to go with Spirit.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

jebmke wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:47 pm
Dasnyc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:44 pm I flew with them once. It was a horror, and I am not a ‘fussy’ traveler. I would not fly with them again, EVER, under ANY circumstances.
Sounds like RyanAir. I used to take them from Brussels to Dublin for weekenders (~10-20 euros round trip) but that was a 30 minute flight and my bag was a small overnighter under my seat. Not much could go wrong.
I've flown RyanAir dozens of times, never had the slightest problem. Spirit often cancels flights and provides no rescheduling or recourse. I still couldn't resist $23 for New York to LA (one-way) in November! Hopefully, they won't cancel...
Sonic1968

Post by Sonic1968 »

brad.clarkston wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:53 pm Spirit is a very rock bottom budget airline.

Why would you be miserable all the time? The flights only 5 hours
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

I have used them for short commute flights with little or 0 luggage.
Saved a fortune.

I am 6'2". The seats are designed for 5'6"
You get what you pay for. (or, at least, you don't get more than you pay for)
:beer
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Pre-covid, I would fly Spirit from ORD to LAS regularly. It's terrible, but dirt cheap while flying with only a backpack as a personal item. They nickel & dime you like crazy, so the cost savings disappear as soon as you add in things like a carry-on bag. I was staying with family, so (1) I could priorty mail some clothing there and back for $20 total, and (2) I already keep a few things stowed there and don't need to pack it.

For a regular trip requiring regular luggage, I would avoid it on any flight over 2 hours. It's just not worth the savings to me.
scophreak

Post by scophreak »

Beside the comfort aspects during flight, I think one of the bigger risks is in the event of delays/cancellations. Like many budget airlines, Spirit's schedule for many destinations offers only 1-2 flights and these do not always occur daily. If your flight is cancelled for any reason it may be difficult to reschedule, and may indeed be impossible to reschedule to arrive on the same day as Spirit will not rebook you on a competitor airline. This once happened to my wife and sons where their return flight on Spirit was cancelled and the next available flight was not for 2 days. I was able to instead book last-minute 1-way tickets for them on United to return home that same day.