Inexpensive and simple foods

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
homebuyer6426

Inexpensive and simple foods

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Hi Bogleheads,

I thought I would start a thread where we could post inexpensive, simple foods that we make, alongside the price, and if you have them, some nutrition facts. Then we can compare the cost effectiveness of various foods. I'll start.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Toaster Oven Version):
2 slices cheap sandwich bread $0.10 at $1.00/20 slices
1 ounce of cheddar cheese $0.23 at $3.50/lb
Total price $0.33

246 calories, 25g carbs, 11g protein, 10g fat, with 20% of your daily calcium

Optional enhancements: thinly sliced red onion or tomato
jebmke

Re: Inexpensive and simple foods

Post by jebmke »

Rice and lentils; I have no idea what it costs but it can't be much. A little crumbled bacon and some toasted onion or shallot on top and you're all set.

Also - quite simple, especially if you have some leftover ingredients is an omelette. Two eggs, sauteed mushrooms, spinach/asparagus/zucchini (whatever you have).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Any kind of dried beans. Throw 10 oz into a 2 qt crock pot along with water, a clove of garlic, and a splash of olive oil and leave it alone for the next 6-7 hours other than to add salt at about the 5th hour.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

On the toasted cheese sandwich, making your own sandwich bread is arguably competitive with cheap storebought (and much tastier!). Perhaps not as simple as storebought, of course, though breadmakers are pretty easy.

My own variation on toasted cheese would be grilled cheese sandwich made in a skillet.

As far as inexpensive and simple, one of my favorites: one bag of dried beans (possibly mixed, e.g., 16 bean mix) plus one jar of Aldi's salsa. Dump them both into an instant pot (and refill the empty jar with water as many times as needed to supply the additional liquid needed.). Set it to pressure cook for 45 minutes, and voila!

Pretty nutritious: protein, fiber, and some vitamin C from the salsa (though cooking heat reduces it.)

Inexpensive Aldi's salsa is low sugar (and available organic if you prefer for little added cost), and adds interest to lots of easy and nutritious things made in the instant pot. I use it for all kinds of soups, including any wilting leftover veggies in my fridge.
Topic Author
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:24 pm Rice and lentils; I have no idea what it costs but it can't be much. A little crumbled bacon and some toasted onion or shallot on top and you're all set.

Also - quite simple, especially if you have some leftover ingredients is an omelette. Two eggs, sauteed mushrooms, spinach/asparagus/zucchini (whatever you have).
Good ones.

Eggs can be had for $0.13 each.
70 calories, 5g fat, 6g protein.

A quarter cup of dry lentils is around $0.20,
169 calories, 30g carbs, 11g protein, 5g fiber, and 70% of your daily iron.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Red beans and rice
A pan of cornbread

Cheap enough and tasty. Lots of recipes to choose from. Start by looking up jalapeno cornbread.
Topic Author
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:33 pm On the toasted cheese sandwich, making your own sandwich bread is arguably competitive with cheap storebought (and much tastier!). Perhaps not as simple as storebought, of course, though breadmakers are pretty easy.
Yes, homemade baking can be quite frugal, I have done some. It is more of a time investment, including cleaning bowls/boards/utensils. Good option if you have the time and enjoy it, and of course the taste is better.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

jebmke wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:24 pm Also - quite simple, especially if you have some leftover ingredients is an omelette. Two eggs, sauteed mushrooms, spinach/asparagus/zucchini (whatever you have).
Another great use for leftovers: you can get Nasoya eggroll wrappers (about 15 cents per wrapper). Roll up your leftovers in the wrappers and fry them (or brush on some oil and oven-bake them for lower fat version.)
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Frozen brussell sprouts (99 cents per 16 ounce bag at Trader Joes). Toss with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and convection roast them about 30 to 40 minutes until they are delicately crispy-caramelized on the outside and soft inside.

Same technique of tossing with oil, salt, pepper (and any other spices of your choice, curry, whatever) then roasting works with just about any vegetable. Frozen has the advantage of typically already being the right size. Fresh is a bit more work because it requires washing and (usually) chopping or slicing into appropriate size.

I do this with all kinds of root and vine vegetables, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, summer squash, winter squash, onions, garlic. Whatever is available (from my CSA farmshare) or in season/plentiful/cheap at the farmer's market or grocery store.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:20 pm Hi Bogleheads,

I thought I would start a thread where we could post inexpensive, simple foods that we make, alongside the price, and if you have them, some nutrition facts. Then we can compare the cost effectiveness of various foods. I'll start.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Toaster Oven Version):
2 slices cheap sandwich bread $0.10 at $1.00/20 slices
1 ounce of cheddar cheese $0.23 at $3.50/lb
Total price $0.33

246 calories, 25g carbs, 11g protein, 10g fat, with 20% of your daily calcium

Optional enhancements: thinly sliced red onion or tomato
Cheap sandwich bread? 11g proteins from 246 calories? Thanks, nah :oops:
PVW

Post by PVW »

Split pea soup. Just guessing at the prices.

1 lb dried split peas ($1.50)
1 ham hock ($3.00)
2 carrots ($0.75)
1 medium onion ($0.75)
garlic ($.50)
Bay leaves ($0.25)
oil ($0.25)
salt & pepper ($0.10)

About $6.00. Serves 4-6 depending on appetite and affinity.

Include a slice of cheese $(0.50), a dinner roll ($.50) and a glass of water ($0.01) for a complete meal for about $2.50.
Topic Author
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Mashed Potatoes
White Potato $0.20 each
Tablespoon of Butter $0.10
$0.30 Total

Calories 265, Carbs 37g, Protein 4g, Fat 12g, Fiber 4g
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Eat whole foods. Everything we eat is inexpensive and simple (<$400/month in food costs for family of 4), we just don't make elaborate meals.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Intermittent Fasting

$0, 0 calories, 0 nutrition

Weight loss and health benefits: priceless :D
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

Here are some inexpensive and simple dinners:
- Potatoes (sweet potatoes or white potatoes) and vegetables.
- Rice and beans and veges.
- Buckwheat and veges

Breakfast:
- Oatmeal, berries and a vegetable

Of course if you do the above every day, you might want a B12 supplement at some point - I'm no expert, check it out for yourself.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

If you are looking for "quick out of the pantry" ideas:

A box of your favorite Macaroni and Cheese - add a bag of your favorite frozen veggies (broccoli or maybe a California mix or whatever floats your boat) add a can of light chunk tuna in water (or canned chicken or left over roast chicken).
About $4.00 for 3 servings. You may need to add a salad or fresh fruit for dessert to round this out.

Make Weird Tacos
Corn tortilla (can be kept in the freezer) about .50 for 12.
a can of refried beans (TJs nonfat refried beans are $1 - Aldi's cost less same thing).
Add some "taco seasonings" to the beans: 1 tsp cumin, 1tsp oregano, 1tsp chili powder (if you need inspiration).
Add Salsa OR a drained can of ready cut or diced tomatoes (Ro Tel tomatoes are the BEST!!!) to the beans.

I saute peppers and onions to mix into the beans.

Add a sprinkle of cheese or lettuce or not.

You will need to figure out the nutritional info as it will depend on your base ingredients.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Can of something from the 99¢ store: $0.99. Doesn't even consume electricity/gas.
LittleMaggieMae

Google recipes for Lentil and spinach (or Kale) . Or lentil and sweet potato. or lentil and butternut squash

If you like curry - use a recipe that calls for curry powder - OR find a recipe that uses the spices you like.

If you go the curry route - serve with cucumber and yogurt (make something like tzatziki sauce) and Naan bread (or a toasted pita) . If you go another route - go with a "crusted bread" and maybe a tomato side salad.

Again, you will have to do the nutritional info based on your ingredients and serving size. It's all about serving size. If you need more "filler" add a side dish of steamed veggies or a salad.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:24 pm Rice and lentils; I have no idea what it costs but it can't be much.
Came here to say that. Our family eats brown rice every single night. Lentils, probably 5-times per week.

Lentils are about $.72 per pound.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:20 pm Can of something from the 99¢ store: $0.99. Doesn't even consume electricity/gas.
Disagree, at least here, canned food at $.99 store is more expensive than the grocery store. That same can of beans at $.99 is $.58 at the grocery store.

Even better is bulk at a place like Winco.
LittleMaggieMae

I like breakfast for dinner - so I make "egg sandwiches" and freeze them.

I use a high fiber, low calorie wheat english muffin, low fat american cheese slices and then maybe bacon or aldi's frozen breakfast pork patties.
I make 6 to 8 at a time - leave one or two in the fridge for eating within 2 days and freeze the rest. When I need something "filling" and fast - I can pull out a breakfast sandwich.

Again, you will need to get the nutritional stats based on the base ingredients you use.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Good and cheap - leanne brown. Written to make meals for those on SNAP

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cheap-Eat-W ... UTF8&psc=1

Look for it as a pdf. Then it is free.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Thesaints wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:20 pm Can of something from the 99¢ store: $0.99. Doesn't even consume electricity/gas.
Boom! Pâté en Croûte.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

As others have mentioned, beans (including lentils) and rice make a cheap, nutritious, and delicious combination. Add different veg and spices. There are so many different international riffs on this combo that you'll never get bored. I love trying different recipes for dal. An instant pot makes cooking beans quick and easy. I've got a batch of black beans going right now.

+1 for IF. It really helped get my weight back under control. Between IF and cutting meat to once a week, I'm feeling great and saving money too!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:36 pm
jebmke wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:24 pm Rice and lentils; I have no idea what it costs but it can't be much. A little crumbled bacon and some toasted onion or shallot on top and you're all set.

Good ones.

Where do you shop that 1 dozen eggs are $.13 each or $1.56 a dozen. Eggs at my local store are $2.99 for 1 dozen large.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Currently eating a sliced apple (in season, 88 cents a pound, so about 30 cents for one typical apple) dipped into approximately 1 ounce Aldi Simply Nature organic no-sugar PB (about 20 cents.)

Good sticking power/satiation (mix of protein, fat, carbs, fiber) for 50 cents total. (Much more nutritious than a candy bar, and cheaper too!)

Sometimes, I mix about 1 tsp unsweetened high fat Penzey's Natural cocoa for a luxuriously rich dark-chocolate-style treat without added sugar. (The PB mellows the bitterness of the unsweetened chocolate and of course the apple slices provide some sweetness too.) If bought in bulk, the Penzey's unsweetened luxury high fat cocoa adds about 15 cents to the cost, so 65 cents all told.

Another excellent treat made with Penzey's unsweetened cocoa (or really any unsweetened cocoa.). Take 1 TB butter, add 1 tsp real maple syrup, a pinch of cayenne, and several sprinkles of cinammon. Melt in microwave. Then mix in a couple TB of unsweetened cocoa until it has a thick hot fudgy texture. Then add a big scoop of good quality plain whole milk Greek yogurt. I like Green Mountain.

Very satisfying treat and at least somewhat nutritious (protein/calcium). The intensity of the dark chocolate/slighty spicy satisfies well without needing a great quantity, so I find it self-limiting. (At around a dollar per serving, just guessing, it is cheaper--and more nutritious or at least less unhealthful--than eating an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs. :wink: )
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 pm

Good ones.

Where do you shop that 1 dozen eggs are $.13 each or $1.56 a dozen. Eggs at my local store are $2.99 for 1 dozen large.
Aldi usually has large eggs for around 1.19 per dozen, which works out to 10 cents each. A neighbor raises chickens and sells them (really big jumbo ones) for 25 cents. I know the eggs are fresh and the hens well-treated so worth it to me to pay more.
alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead »

Put cut potatoes in the oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 1 hour, serve with a source cream sauce. Delicious, takes little preparation time, and is frugal. The only thing needed is planning ahead.

Generally, the oven is really underestimated - you can put many vegetables in there to roast, along with meat or fish. Be aware of the different cooking times - potatoes take quite long, so you need to start with these and only later on add stuff like fish, carrots or pumpkin.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:25 pm Even better is bulk at a place like Winco.
Yes, but then you have to eat all those cans.

Going off a tangent: if one has to watch out for a few dimes difference and in the process is forced to eat cheap bread and industrial cheese, doesn't that tell that hanging around this forum does not do any good as investment returns are concerned ?
The classic rebuttal to anyone guaranteeing safe and enormous returns is "Where is your yacht ?". In a good personal finance forum I'd expect to see lots of people driving german and drinking vintage champagne....
Last edited by Thesaints on Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NYerinLondon

Post by NYerinLondon »

For those recommending beans in the slow cooker, please be careful. Certain beans (specifically red kidney beans) need to be boiled, which may not happen in a slow cooker/crockpot. It's fine to throw them in the slow cooker once they have been prepared properly (boiled for at least ten minutes).

ETA: this applies to dried kidney beans only. Canned ones are good to go.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

McDonald's triple cheeseburger - $3.30

Way tastier than beans & rice.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Ooh great thread.

Here's one I like
Roast diced potatoes and onion (mixed with olive oil) on sheet pan
Top with black beans and shredded cheese
Return to oven to melt
Serve with salsa, hot sauce, green onion.. etc. Like nachos

I eat alot of PB toast and bananas also. Healthy and cheap as heck.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Leanne Brown wrote a good little cookbook on good and cheap food favoring veggies - really nice free pdf too.
https://books.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf
Topic Author
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 pm Where do you shop that 1 dozen eggs are $.13 each or $1.56 a dozen. Eggs at my local store are $2.99 for 1 dozen large.
Wegmans. $4.50 for 36.
Topic Author
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

MAKsdad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:46 pm McDonald's triple cheeseburger - $3.30

Homemade cheeseburger - someone do the math on the price of the economy version. :sharebeer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:39 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 pm

Good ones.

Aldi usually has large eggs for around 1.19 per dozen, which works out to 10 cents each. A neighbor raises chickens and sells them (really big jumbo ones) for 25 cents. I know the eggs are fresh and the hens well-treated so worth it to me to pay more.
We buy them by the 5-dozen at Winco. Prices have ranged from as cheap as $3 to $6.50 over the last few years; they've been almost exclusively at the higher end of that over the last 9 months.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

blueberrypi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:48 pm Ooh great thread.

Here's one I like
Roast diced potatoes and onion (mixed with olive oil) on sheet pan
Top with black beans and shredded cheese
Return to oven to melt
Serve with salsa, hot sauce, green onion.. etc. Like nachos
Ooh! I love this idea. Maybe put in a little tuna along with beans and cheese too. (Always trying to get some more fish in my diet, inexpensively and unobtrusively, i.e., disguised by other things I like more!) And I have a *lot* of potatoes from my CSA farm share to use up!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

hicabob wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:49 pm Leanne Brown wrote a good little cookbook on good and cheap food favoring veggies - really nice free pdf too.
https://books.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf
Good and interesting recipes.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:57 pm

Homemade cheeseburger - someone do the math on the price of the economy version. :sharebeer
Indeed; I haven't had fast food in over 30 years. Can't possibly have improved in that time.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

And, bananas. I freeze them (sliced) and eat them all of the time. $0.50 per pound.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:31 pm And, bananas. I freeze them (sliced) and eat them all of the time. $0.50 per pound.
Or 19 cents per banana at Trader Joe's. I love using frozen bananas in homemade smoothies. (Or dip the partially thawed banana slices in the above-mentioned PB-unsweetened Penzey's cocoa combo I previously described with apple slices.)
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

1/3 pound of hamburger: $1.20
Bun: 0.25
Cheese slice: 0.10

Condiments: 0.5

Total: $1.60

Of course this isn't factoring in energy use, which is probably a bigger factor than condiments, especially in the summer.

Energy use is an even bigger factor with beans and lentils, which take a long time to cook.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

blueberrypi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:48 pm
I eat alot of PB toast and bananas also. Healthy and cheap as heck.
I second the PB and toast combo. Sprinkle with cinnamon too. I ate that for lunch yesterday.

Eggs and toast (homemade bread) are my favorite quick/easy meal. The family likes it too.
phinanciallyfit

Post by phinanciallyfit »

Anything that is primarily beans or lentils will be pretty cheap. This is a favorite of ours and it freezes well, too. We quadruple the recipe when we make it and freeze portions for busy weeks so we aren't doing take out just for convenience. https://www.theppk.com/2011/05/ancho-lentil-tacos/
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

bhsince87 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:46 pm

1/3 pound of hamburger: $1.20
Bun: 0.25
Cheese slice: 0.10

Condiments: 0.5

Total: $1.60

Of course this isn't factoring in energy use, which is probably a bigger factor than condiments, especially in the summer.

Energy use is an even bigger factor with beans and lentils, which take a long time to cook.
Pressure cooker/instant pot. Plus, I have solar.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Loaf of sourdough bread
400 gm home-milled wheat grain flour-------------> 50 cents
180 gm tap water--------------------------------------> free
80 gm sourdough starter (just flour and water)--> 10 cents
10 gm Kosher salt -------------------------------------> 2 cents

Loaf of sourdough bread total -----------------------> 62 cents
Per slice (~ 10 slices per loaf) ----------------------> 6.2 cents
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"McDonald's triple cheeseburger - $3.30

Way tastier than beans & rice."

That depends on what you put in the beans and rice. Think in terms of Cajun or Tex-Mex.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Last night:

Stuffed peppers - grew the peppers in garden from seed. Low cost (but not free)...cannot determine the exact cost as I would need to realize the number of seeds in a package and divide into the total cost of the pack of seeds ($2.50) then divide the number of peppers from that plant into the "per seed" cost and then factor in watering this summer. Costco lean ground beef - $3.50 per pound. La Preferida rice...probably about 50cents, not factoring in the cost of the water nor the butter. Two types of cheese - who knows? Marinara sauce - again difficult to determine as most of the ingredients (tomato, onion, peppers, garlic, etc) were grown in garden. Total yield was 12 - 1/2 peppers - total out of pocket cost was probably $6.00 or 50 cents per 1/2 stuffed pepper.

Also had a small serving of Aldi cottage cheese - probably about 50cents and a piece of sourdough bread from Costco - about 25 cents.

Great meal.

Tonight is Chicken Picata.
LittleMaggieMae

No one's mentioning recipes with Great Northern or Cannellini beans. I always have a couple of cans of them on hand - I get the "Bush" name brand ones on sale for .90 a can. Haven't tried the off brands as I only use a handful of cans of these per year... Canned beans are super convenient (and I can change up what kind I am using often) for me - they go along way as I'm only making meals for one (me).

I sometimes substitute Cannellini beans for chickpeas in hummus. I make other bean spreads or dips with white beans used as the "protein" part of a dinner - not as an appetizer.

There's white bean soups and stews - the google is your friend.

Easy white potato dinners are ColCannon (use Kale or spinach if cabbage is a turn off - bacon and bacon grease make this dish super tasty - so it's good to add it to the menu plan when you are making/using bacon and can save the grease/a few strips of bacon...).

On another note - You can substitute mashed potatoes for refried beans in tacos (google for spices/toppings to use).
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I just made one of my favorite inexpensive and simple meal. It includes toasted sourdough bread topped with avocado mash, a fried egg (made an a stainless steel pan) and Mrs. Dash no salt bagel seasoning. Thanks for bringing up this topic, reminding me how good this tastes, and how inexpensive and simple it is.

The reason I brought the stainless steel pan up is I just learned how to fry an egg that slides out of the pan when done. I don’t like using Teflon for health reasons- once you ingest it, your body can’t get rid of it. If anybody wants to know, you first season the pan by coating it with olive oil and heating up until it just starts to smoke. You then take the pan off the heat, wipe off the extra oil with a paper towel, and allow the pan to cool. You only have to do this once in a great while. Using low heat (dial setting 2 -electric stove), put oil in the pan. I cook the egg with the serving plate covering the pan. I’m too lazy to clean the pan cover. For me, the egg slides out perfectly, with the help of a fork, sunny side up with no overcooking.
Last edited by Ependytis on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.