Out of State Lottery Wants Copy of Photo ID

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fillmore

Out of State Lottery Wants Copy of Photo ID

Post by Fillmore »

I was traveling out of state and bought a scratch off lottery ticket for 2.00.

I won 50.00 so I went to the website and got the mailing address.

I mailed the ticket, they sent me a letter saying they need to see a copy of photo ID to prove I'm over 18 (I turned 18 during the Carter administration lol) and a daytime phone number, SSN not needed because it's not a taxable event (over 600.00).

Is it worth the bother for 50.00 ? I mean could there be any ID theft issues ?
bluebolt

Re: Out of State Lottery Wants Copy of Photo ID

Post by bluebolt »

It's probably pretty low, but only you can decide if the risk is worth $50.
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Wouldn’t be worth it to me. But I have a perhaps atypical aversion to giving out my personal information
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

This reminds me of multiple-times lottery winners ; there is little doubt someone raised that — May be that multiple-times winner ain’t thus so, instead frontman/woman for someone out of state, or under-age, and/or hiding monies from spouse working a deal on their behalf.

May be cut a deal with that state multi-times lotto winner - work out a good deal (see the sarcasm light going up)
Last edited by sc9182 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I've had my photo ID copied so many times (hotels, consulates, doctors, TSA, YMCA, background checks, ....) that I just don't care anymore and let 'er rip.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Fillmore wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:21 pm SSN not needed because it's not a taxable event (over 600.00).
Correction: a $50 lottery prize *is* a taxable event to you, and you are still obligated to report it on your 1040.

However, there is no mandate for the lottery to do third-party W-2G reporting to the IRS for prizes under $600, which is why they don't need your SSN.

To address your question itself, state lottery operations and employees are pretty highly regulated and I would not have a problem with a requirement to authenticate my identity by sending a copy of my driver's license and provide a phone number.
Topic Author
Fillmore

Post by Fillmore »

Thank you all.

I didn't think it was a taxable event, I will turn it over to my tax guy, I can probably write off losses against it.

I usually buy them for something to do on the plane lol.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Fillmore wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:11 pm Thank you all.

I didn't think it was a taxable event, I will turn it over to my tax guy, I can probably write off losses against it.

I usually buy them for something to do on the plane lol.
Gambling losses can be itemized on Schedule A but only to the extent of winnings. If you don't itemize, the deduction is gonzo. Netting is not allowed.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
wunderkind

Post by wunderkind »

They need ID to give you money but somehow they don't need it to take your money...