Homeowner's Insurance in Georgia

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JediMisty

Homeowner's Insurance in Georgia

Post by JediMisty »

Just moved to Georgia and am closing on my townhouse in Cherokee County, Georgia soon. Looking for recommendations for homeowner's insurance in Georgia.
Watty

Re: Homeowner's Insurance in Georgia

Post by Watty »

Hi neighbor!

No specific recommendations for homeowners insurance since you really need to call around and get quotes to see what the best prices are especially if you bundle it with your car insurance. I have used State Farm for years but I need to reprice my insurance to make sure that they are still a good deal. They have been OK with a few car claims.

I do not know how it would work for a townhouse but for a single family home I also have earthquake insurance. I bought that through my normal home insurance agent. It is of course nothing like the risk in places like California but there is a small amount of earthquake risk in Atlanta. I think my earthquake insurance costs something like $100 a year so I decided that it was worthwhile even if the odds of earthquake damage here are real low.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/2018- ... hazard-map

They are not common but there have been surprisingly large earthquakes on the Tennessee/Missouri border(New Madrid) and Charleston South Carolina.

I live in a different county but be sure to get signed up for your homeowners exemptions, especially if you are 62. The person we bought our house from had never signed up for that for at least 10 years before we bought the house and that had to have cost him a lot.

https://www.cherokeega.com/tax-assessor ... xemptions/
talzara

Post by talzara »

JediMisty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:07 pm Just moved to Georgia and am closing on my townhouse in Cherokee County, Georgia soon. Looking for recommendations for homeowner's insurance in Georgia.
Just start at the national insurers, and then try a couple of smaller insurers.

The homeowners insurance market in Georgia is very concentrated. The three largest homeowners insurers -- State Farm, Allstate, and USAA -- have 49% of the market.

The only thing unusual about Georgia is that it has three major Farm Bureau insurers: Georgia Farm Bureau, Country Financial (Illinois), and Nationwide (Ohio).
Topic Author
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Watty wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:18 pm Hi neighbor!

No specific recommendations for homeowners insurance since you really need to call around and get quotes to see what the best prices are especially if you bundle it with your car insurance. I have used State Farm for years but I need to reprice my insurance to make sure that they are still a good deal. They have been OK with a few car claims.

I do not know how it would work for a townhouse but for a single family home I also have earthquake insurance. I bought that through my normal home insurance agent. It is of course nothing like the risk in places like California but there is a small amount of earthquake risk in Atlanta. I think my earthquake insurance costs something like $100 a year so I decided that it was worthwhile even if the odds of earthquake damage here are real low.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/2018- ... hazard-map

They are not common but there have been surprisingly large earthquakes on the Tennessee/Missouri border(New Madrid) and Charleston South Carolina.

I live in a different county but be sure to get signed up for your homeowners exemptions, especially if you are 62. The person we bought our house from had never signed up for that for at least 10 years before we bought the house and that had to have cost him a lot.

https://www.cherokeega.com/tax-assessor ... xemptions/
Thanks for the information, neighbor!