Tramontina vs Carote nonstick pan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
huzaing

Tramontina vs Carote nonstick pan

Post by huzaing »

Hi,

On some previous threads, Bogleheads have recommended the Tramontina nonstick pan (also rated #1 by wirecutter).
On Amazon, Carote pan with granite nonstick coating looks popular as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Carote-Stone-Derived-Non-Stick-Switzerland-Including/dp/B0732NXYNS

1. Can folks comment on the Carote pan and how it compares to Tramontina?

2. Also I read that Member's Mark pan at Sam's club is same as Tramontina?

Thanks!
shunkman

Re: Tramontina vs Carote nonstick pan

Post by shunkman »

Cooks Illustrated recommends the OXO non-stick pans and we are very satisfied with ours. And CI is not a fan of ceramic coated pans because they typically wear out faster than traditional non-stick pans. Sorry, I have no experience with the pans that you are asking about.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I can't compare, since we only have Tramontina, but we are very satisfied with them, and the price is right.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Here is something to check out. They cover non-stick, carbon steel and cast iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TH0kEjezXs

I prefer the last two as they do a good job cooking. Non stick requires care and not over heating (create toxic fumes).
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

protagonist wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 pm I can't compare, since we only have Tramontina, but we are very satisfied with them, and the price is right.
Yep, the price is really good for what looks like a solid option
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

huzaing wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:13 pm
protagonist wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:55 pm I can't compare, since we only have Tramontina, but we are very satisfied with them, and the price is right.
Yep, the price is really good for what looks like a solid option
I own the Tramontina pan (based on Wirecutter article) but noticed some scratches develop subsequently. I thought I was being careful and handling the pan appropriately, but, in hindsight, I realized that the wooden utensils were probably inappropriate(?) and may have caused the imperfections in the pan surface. Also, I thought I read some posters here had said to be sure to replace a scratched pan with a new one. So, I have already bought and received a new pan but haven't actually got around to replacing the original one. Apart from the scratches it seems to work fine; no issues with food sticking, etc.

Anyway, that's my feedback to OP regarding the Tramontina pan.

@protagonist: have you had any issues with your Tramontina pan scratching? Do you replace it periodically?

I actually have an inexpensive non-stick pan that a friend gave me years ago, she said it cost 10 bucks (new). I've had it longer than the Tramontina - no scratches, at all (despite using wooden spatula on it). The idea was to replace that pan with the original Tramontina, but I actually found it convenient to have a second pan, at times. So, now I have three 10" pans - one a number of years old with no scratches, one scratched / marred Tramontina, and one brand new Tramontina :confused