Custom frames

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Eastcoaster212

Custom frames

Post by Eastcoaster212 »

Anyone know a good place to order a custom frame? I have a bunch of colonial currency and would like to frame them and have then hung vs them just sitting in my safe.
Silk McCue

Re: Custom frames

Post by Silk McCue »

Depending on where you live there are shops nearby that can do that for you. Michael’s is a chain near us that does so but there are certainly others. Local allows you to look a frame styles and other considerations showcasing your currency and get feedback from folks that do this all the time.

Cheers
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

I second the suggestion to try to find a local framer. Also, given the nature of what you are framing, you might consider archival mats and glass.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Is there any significant value to the currency? If yes, that will probably impact your framing choice. Or make high-quality copies of the currency and frame the copies anyway you want. A ready-made frame is likely to be much less expensive than custom-framing.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

It is easy to do it yourself.
Buy the frame sides.
Buy the mount board.
Buy the front "glass".
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I make most of my own frames but I would guess inserting a picture instead of a bunch of coins, and getting everything to stay in place, is a bit more complicated. For specialty jobs like that, I just go to my local art store down the road that does custom framing jobs. The hardest part of that is just narrowing down the selection of about a thousand different styles of frames to one.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

There are usually good framing stores around whocan do a great job of displaying whatever you want. But it is expensive.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I like Nielsen frames and have bought several from Frame destination. I found them through a recommendation in a photography forum. Nielsen 22 is my favorite frame as it is relatively deep frame. If you choose a standard size the cost is reasonable.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:38 pm There are usually good framing stores around whocan do a great job of displaying whatever you want. But it is expensive.
Most of the things people frame are worth less than the cost of professional framing. Maybe a lot less.

If you can find an acceptable standard-size frame it will be a great deal more economical. Mats can be bought on line or cut at home- mat cutters are not that expensive.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 am
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:38 pm There are usually good framing stores around whocan do a great job of displaying whatever you want. But it is expensive.
Most of the things people frame are worth less than the cost of professional framing. Maybe a lot less.

If you can find an acceptable standard-size frame it will be a great deal more economical. Mats can be bought on line or cut at home- mat cutters are not that expensive.
For me, myself and I, custom framing provides several steps up in fit and finish of something I value.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:44 pm It is easy to do it yourself.
Buy the frame sides.
Buy the mount board.
Buy the front "glass".
Also buy a hand mat cutter. It will look more professional. Along these lines -
https://www.amazon.com/NT-Cutter-Degree ... UTF8&psc=1
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

My dad has had his own business doing framing for around 20 years now. Everything custom made. He can also do metal leafing. His prices are reasonable. It's out of North Carolina. Message me if you want his number.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

We had custom frame shops as part of our business. Here’s my recommendation:

1. Try to find a local frame shop that is NOT Michael’s. Michael’s is a good resource for many craft supplies, but in my experience, they don’t do their framing on site…they send it to Texas to be framed. At least they did 10 years ago. You want someone who does the work on-site; or at least I would. You want a framer who is experienced in mounting and framing collectibles, and who won’t mount your currency to foam core. It’s been known to happen.
2. You can save yourself some $$ if you can find nice ready-made frames that will fit the currency and the mat. Most frame shops sell ready-made frames as well as custom frames. Have the frame shop sell you a ready-made acid-free mat and archival glass and have them mount and fit everything for you. If the currency is an odd shape, then they can cut a custom mat for you.
3. It’s important to have acid-free or archival mats, and museum or archival glass for anything that you care about. Plain glass allows sunlight or other light to fade the colors.
4. If ready-made frames aren’t suitable for your project, then by all means pay for a custom frame.

Whenever possible, I buy a nice ready-made frame, and have a custom mat cut, and the plain glass replaced with archival or museum glass. In fact, I’m having an original water color framed this week at one of the stores we used to own.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

pshonore wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:36 pm
Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:44 pm It is easy to do it yourself.
Buy the frame sides.
Buy the mount board.
Buy the front "glass".
Also buy a hand mat cutter. It will look more professional. Along these lines -
https://www.amazon.com/NT-Cutter-Degree ... UTF8&psc=1
I bought all of the items online.
There several websites that specialize in DIY custom frames.
Michael's the arts and crafts chain also offer this service, but it is more expensive.