Reliable cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chipperd

Re: Reliable cars?

Post by chipperd »

CoAndy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 am I currently drive a 2012 Honda Accord that I bought new. 114k miles and have not spent a single dime on anything other than maintenance.
Are there other categories on spending for a car other than maintenance, insurance and gas (I assume you spend on all three)?
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Honnus

Post by Honnus »

2006 Camry with 331Kmiles. Still running and is not costing :moneybag me anything in repairs - yet.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Datsun B-210
Dodge Dart: straight 6 or 318 V8
Toyota Camry or Corolla or pickup

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I guess it really comes down to the individual car. My 2006 GMC Canyon is a couple years older with about 30,000 more miles than my wife's 2008 Lexus ES. Her 'reliable Lexus' car has had way more issues than my 'unreliable GMC' truck in terms of trips to the shop and definitely cost to repair.

My family has taken multiple Jeep Grand Cherokee's to over 300,000 with a handful more to over 200,000. They're supposed to be 'unreliable'. I didn't read the thread but I bet someone has already listed Jeep as garbage.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am I guess it really comes down to the individual car. My 2006 GMC Canyon is a couple years older with about 30,000 more miles than my wife's 2008 Lexus ES. Her 'reliable Lexus' car has had way more issues than my 'unreliable GMC' truck in terms of trips to the shop and definitely cost to repair.

My family has taken multiple Jeep Grand Cherokee's to over 300,000 with a handful more to over 200,000. They're supposed to be 'unreliable'. I didn't read the thread but I bet someone has already listed Jeep as garbage.
I did because that what you see in the survey's. I personally don't have strong opinions of my own about good and bad makes of cars.

Probably a reasonable observation is that as things go there is no product out there that is asked to do so much with so little care under so much use and yet is so problem free as automobiles now are. It might mean that asking what is the most reliable car is not a useful question because the answer is they all are.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

chipperd wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am
CoAndy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 am I currently drive a 2012 Honda Accord that I bought new. 114k miles and have not spent a single dime on anything other than maintenance.
Are there other categories on spending for a car other than maintenance, insurance and gas (I assume you spend on all three)?
Maintenance is for wear-and-tear items, something you'd expect to wear out over some expected time / mileage and replace. "Repair" is for something that needs to be fixed because it's broken, or worn out before the expected time.
GP813

Post by GP813 »

We are a Toyota family, they just last and are easy to fix and maintain.

I really hope they can marry Toyota reliability with their upcoming electric range. For me that would be the best of both worlds.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

armeliusc wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:33 pm
Maintenance is for wear-and-tear items, something you'd expect to wear out over some expected time / mileage and replace. "Repair" is for something that needs to be fixed because it's broken, or worn out before the expected time.
Correct
dbr

Post by dbr »

Expenses can also include collateral expenses to cope with delays, being stranded somewhere, missing events, etc.

I once had a nice vacation in an unnamed very small town in an unnamed state waiting for a replacement camshaft for a vehicle. The upside was that by chance said unnamed very small town by some miracle had a really good mechanic. In fact he prevented the engine from blowing up later on down the highway by figuring out what was really wrong (a flat cam).
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:38 am Datsun B-210
Dodge Dart: straight 6 or 318 V8
Toyota Camry or Corolla or pickup

j🌺
Since you mentioned the Dodge products that I had some experience with, I actually didn't find the ones that I drove that reliable, even in the context of the era. They weren't terrible, but I know I experienced a fair share of no-starts and other reliability issues with them.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

armeliusc wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:33 pm
I see. Definitions of repair vs maintenance seems subjective.
IE: If one replaces a timing belt at 80,000 miles is that a repair of maintenance? Brakes at 25,000 miles, repair or maintenance?
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Maybe I have just been lucky. Ive always had used cars, various makes. Two different Oldsmobiles, Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Subaru. Ive never had a car that I thought was unreliable.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Vtsax100 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:51 pm Maybe I have just been lucky. Ive always had used cars, various makes. Two different Oldsmobiles, Chevy, Ford, Nissan, Subaru. Ive never had a car that I thought was unreliable.
Unreliable is relative of course. I think of it as frequently behaving unpredictably - for example not starting or stalling. For the most part, my cars were reliable - until they weren't.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

dbr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm
Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:59 am I guess it really comes down to the individual car. My 2006 GMC Canyon is a couple years older with about 30,000 more miles than my wife's 2008 Lexus ES. Her 'reliable Lexus' car has had way more issues than my 'unreliable GMC' truck in terms of trips to the shop and definitely cost to repair.

I did because that what you see in the survey's. I personally don't have strong opinions of my own about good and bad makes of cars.

Probably a reasonable observation is that as things go there is no product out there that is asked to do so much with so little care under so much use and yet is so problem free as automobiles now are. It might mean that asking what is the most reliable car is not a useful question because the answer is they all are.
Reliable I guess now depends on what one plans to do with the car. Some people buy new cars every 3-4 years. For them Reliable means zero issues during their ownership. I think most cars on the market today can handle 3-4 years without issues. Other people want their car to go for 200k miles without major repairs. I don't think a lot of brands can do that consistantly.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:33 pm
dbr wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:14 pm

Reliable I guess now depends on what one plans to do with the car. Some people buy new cars every 3-4 years. For them Reliable means zero issues during their ownership. I think most cars on the market today can handle 3-4 years without issues. Other people want their car to go for 200k miles without major repairs. I don't think a lot of brands can do that consistantly.
People are keeping their vehicles longer these days. I'd want 8-10 years without any major mechanical repairs and a low cost of ownership. That's my threshold now for reliable.
z91

Post by z91 »

Lexus.
Scooter17

Post by Scooter17 »

Toyota