Laptop Backpack Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DidItMyWay

Laptop Backpack Recommendations?

Post by DidItMyWay »

Anyone have a laptop backpack that they love and/or a recommendation for the best place to shop for one?
Looking for something for everyday use, as well as travel.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Stanczyk

Re: Laptop Backpack Recommendations?

Post by Stanczyk »

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thule-enro ... =212&loc=1

Used it for traveling with laptop and some hiking. Awesome backpack
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Going into college I got an Everki backpack. Used it daily for years and really loaded it up. I lived off campus so I would put all of the books, folders, notebooks, lunch, laptop in there. I'd also put more when traveling home after class during the holidays. The pack I got had a water shell I could put over it which saved my butt one Labor Day weekend when I had it while riding my motorcycle home and it started storming. Continued to use it after graduation and into the workforce.

Their warranty center was quick and lifetime. I put a lot of use on it so had a seam start to go bad and they replaced the pack.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

I use something by Timbuk2. Its pretty good. Its the Timbuk2 Rogue Laptop Backpack.
They also have something called the "Spire" laptop backpack.

There is a built in sleeve for a laptop. I mainly use it for a tablet, but it works really well. I used it to walk to and from work for several years.

edit: here is a link https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-backpacks
edit 2: it is also water resistant. I'm in Ottawa, and we get about 130 days of precipitation here (snow and rain) so that was important.
Last edited by investnoob on Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

It's insane how much things cost these days. I'm sure they're nice, but I wouldn't pay $100+ for a backpack.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Nice bags are expensive.

I like the 1 strap sling type bags.

I have a Thule Sling bag. Laptop fits nicely.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232168571660?e ... Sw4GVYScRl
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I bought my Targus one at Walmart. Inexpensive. My main criteria was that the outside bottom was not fabric of any kind, but a kind of thick fake leather that would always be impervious to tossing into a puddle of water and being dragged across a bed of nails. :o

This appears to be very similar if not identical to the one I have used for years and year:
https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Drifter-B ... ref=sr_1_3
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

chuckwalla wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:42 pm It's insane how much things cost these days. I'm sure they're nice, but I wouldn't pay $100+ for a backpack.
There are a limited number of choices if you want to actually use the pack as a backpack. I have computer backpacks that I bought for $40 or so but they're only useful as backpacks for very, very short distances, because they don't have either waist belts or chest straps. For anything longer distance I'd want a very well-padded waist belt. Lots of belts are only padded (if at all) toward the pack on each side, while you really need the padding to extend around your hips.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

livesoft wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:46 pm I bought my Targus one at Walmart. Inexpensive. My main criteria was that the outside bottom was not fabric of any kind, but a kind of thick fake leather that would always be impervious to tossing into a puddle of water and being dragged across a bed of nails. :o
That's an excellent point about the bottom. My pack has some worn-through areas on the fabric bottom because I attach it to my rollaboard and even with the strap adjusted as short as possible, it drags sometimes. However if you carry the pack vs. drag it around strapped to another bag or some other way, that same thick material likely adds to the weight, and makes the back less comfortable to carry.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

chuckwalla wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:42 pm It's insane how much things cost these days. I'm sure they're nice, but I wouldn't pay $100+ for a backpack.
I definitely spoiled myself with mine. But it was worth every penny, considering that I used it every day for around 4 years. Walked about 2-3 miles with it every work day. The padding on the back and shoulder straps really helps. And it is very light. Some bags are really heavy!

Also, its a top loader. Not having to mess around with zippers is a real convenience.

The webbing really made it easy to attach things (like a bike lock) to it.

If you mainly plan to use it to carry stuff from the car to your cubicle, it is overkill. But if you plan to use it on a mass transit or walk commute, it is definitely worth it! :mrgreen:
Last edited by investnoob on Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confusedinaz

Post by confusedinaz »

Swissgear makes great laptop backpacks:

https://www.amazon.com/SWISSGEAR-SA1923 ... B07ZHP7BGS
https://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-Weeken ... B077S4WMM5
https://www.amazon.com/SwissGear-1900-S ... B006HFJA12

I'm on my second one and they tend to last for a long time even when used extensively for travel.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

My osprey flapjack pack is seven years old and going strong. Used most everyday. Have had the plastic buckles replaced twice.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

confusedinaz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:56 pm Swissgear makes great laptop backpacks:

I'm on my second one and they tend to last for a long time even when used extensively for travel.
+1,000. And, life time warranty. If your bag is damaged, send them a picture and they ship you a new one.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I'm a big-time mountaineer and I have two packs, https://wanakaoutdoors.com/products/adapt-backpack (bought as a birthday present by my mom ~5yrs ago, I'd never spend close to that much) and a $60 60ltr pack from Recreation Outlet for multi-day adventures. The wanaka is also my daily carry for my laptop; it's seen the top of many of the tallest mountains in the western U.S. and 5yrs of the corporate world. My wife and kids have used my corporate SWAG backpacks for years. $200+ for a backpack to carry your laptop is bonkers.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

confusedinaz wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:56 pm Swissgear makes great laptop backpacks:

Mine has lasted well and has convenient pockets etc. except for the fabric bottom not being abrasion-resistant. And realistically it isn't for carrying as a backpack for any distance due to the lack of a padded waist belt and chest strap.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

https://www.thule.com/en-us/backpacks/l ... -_-3203835

Most versatile computer carrying bag I've ever had. Fits under an airline seat easily, multiple compartments.
mbasherp

Post by mbasherp »

I recently replaced my backpack which is a catch all travel/laptop/work/whatever bag and was impressed by offerings from Tortuga, AER, and Osprey. Went with the Tortuga Outbreaker Laptop bag.
magiro

Post by magiro »

blueberrypi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 pm My osprey flapjack pack is seven years old and going strong. Used most everyday. Have had the plastic buckles replaced twice.
I'm a sucker for Osprey packs. I bought the flapjack it to have something with a low profile for biking while I was in school probably 8 or 9 years ago, and I still use it every day to commute to work. My buckles broke too, but they didn't really feel necessary to me, and I never bothered to replace them. I'm a college teacher, and often commute with folders, textbooks, etc. The pack has held up phenomenally well.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've had a Tumi Alpha Bravo backpack for the past 7 years, and love it. It replaced a perfectly-fine computer backpack (forget the brand I had been using for many years, but is lighter, more comfortable, better looking and more thoughtfully laid out. Of course since I no longer go to the office and don't travel anywhere near what I used to, it hasn't gotten a ton of use in the past 18 months. But I had to go in last Friday, and it reminded me of what a joy it is to use/carry.

Now, had I known in advance that in the intervening years I would get several very-nice backpacks for free at tech conferences--2 Ogios and a couple other mid-high end brands--I may not have spent the money and just used one of those.
Topic Author
DidItMyWay

Post by DidItMyWay »

Thanks, everyone! I will check these all out.

My previous bag from eBags lasted me 16 years, but during my last trip it finally starting to fall apart in the airport. People around me probably looked at me and thought I was a pauper. Little did they know I am a just a Boglehead. :D
I figure I will probably need to get something in the $80-120 range to get something that will last so I'm cool with that.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

DidItMyWay wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:46 pm Thanks, everyone! I will check these all out.

My previous bag from eBags lasted me 16 years, but during my last trip it finally starting to fall apart in the airport. People around me probably looked at me and thought I was a pauper. Little did they know I am a just a Boglehead. :D
I figure I will probably need to get something in the $80-120 range to get something that will last so I'm cool with that.
Look into Timbuk2, they have many styles and you usually can find prior seasons' models for a major discount. They are good quality and last.
Topic Author
DidItMyWay

Post by DidItMyWay »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 pm
DidItMyWay wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:46 pm Thanks, everyone! I will check these all out.

Look into Timbuk2, they have many styles and you usually can find prior seasons' models for a major discount. They are good quality and last.
Thanks! I will look at them.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

DidItMyWay wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:07 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks! I will look at them.
Sometimes rei.com will have some good sales.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

blueberrypi wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 pm My osprey flapjack pack is seven years old and going strong. Used most everyday. Have had the plastic buckles replaced twice.
Same, going strong 6 year. Daily walks (pre-pandemic) about 3 miles round trip. Holds up great.

I love the compression strap keeps the profile flat until I need to expand it.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

If you travel a lot, check out Pacsafe anti-theft packs.

They are pick-pocket proof, unslashable, lockable, with secured closings.

My stuff is totally safe, even jostling on a crowded Paris Metro!
Not Jacob Fugger

Post by Not Jacob Fugger »

Some good intel here. My thoughts. Luggage is a place where you don’t want to economize as I’m sure you are aware. A ripped strap can ruin your day and cost a ton of $$ if means your laptop just went Ace/Deuce. I happen to like the Patagonia black hole (small version) which has storable backpack straps and also a removable shoulder strap. Holds a ton of stuff with many compartments. Easily holds a laptop, two iPads and peripherals in a padded slot with space for overnight clothing in other compartments. it is a little bit flashy depending on the color and logo which is unfortunate. Some reviews have complained about the straps but I have totally overloaded mine with no problems. Also can’t go wrong with Osprey, Deuter, Mammut and the like if they make a configuration you like.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/black ... 49265.html

There is a larger version too but I like the smaller one. Good luck.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Flobes wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:30 pm If you travel a lot, check out Pacsafe anti-theft packs.

They are pick-pocket proof, unslashable, lockable, with secured closings.

My stuff is totally safe, even jostling on a crowded Paris Metro!
These look great! Thanks for the share - might get me one.
queso

Post by queso »

I have had a bunch, but am currently using an Osprey Transporter panel loader. Found it on Osprey's website for about half off ($60 with free shipping). So far it is working out great. I have 3 other Osprey packs in various sizes and vintages that I use for backpacking and climbing and have never had an issue with any of their products.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Also check out Tom Bihn for ideas even if you buy somewhere else (which I might do if I ended up with a backpack. My days of lugging a 4lb laptop are over, so I'm more flexible about what I'm looking for and am more interested in packing flexibility to accommodate different items along with my MacBook Air than I am on a large padded area. Also, I'm confident that my MacBook Air with a SSD does not need a lot of extra padding since I don't check the bag or throw it across the room. The padding adds weight and bulk that I don't want in the bag.
Capricorn51

Post by Capricorn51 »

Agree very much about Tom Bihn https://www.tombihn.com/collections/backpacks. Not cheap, but very durable, functional, and many options, and they stand by their products.