Quality work gloves / boots?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Darth Xanadu

Quality work gloves / boots?

Post by Darth Xanadu »

I'm looking for recommendations for work gloves. Primarily for light landscaping and stacking firewood. I've seen decent reviews online for buffalo leather work gloves, but I don't want to pay a premium if they won't last more than a year or two, or if they make my hands sweaty.

I'd also be interested in hearing opinions on good work boots, preferably with steel toe protection.

Thanks,
DX
snackdog

Re: Quality work gloves / boots?

Post by snackdog »

Redwing makes great boots.

I get leather gloves on sale from Home Depot. They last a few months before holes wear through.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Bogle7

Re: Quality work gloves

Post by Bogle7 »

Vermont Gloves.
https://vermontglove.com/
They are awesome.
Wife loves hers. Only a $10 uplift for custom size.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
barnaclebob

Re: Quality work gloves

Post by barnaclebob »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:27 pm Vermont Gloves.
https://vermontglove.com/
They are awesome.
For $100 they better last a decade of heavier than average homeowner use. Thet do look top notch and ill have to remeber them when my ski gloves wear out.

I do a decent amount of choring and get a few years out of cheap gloves.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

3 pack of leather gloves from Costco. They last long enough and do the job.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
squirm

Post by squirm »

Project Farm has already thoroughly reviewed these for you. I suggest you watch his reviews.
Topic Author
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

squirm wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:30 pm Project Farm has already thoroughly reviewed these for you. I suggest you watch his reviews.
These videos are great -- thank you!
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I buy Carhartt leather gloves at the local big box store. They make a breathable version that has some mesh pockets on the backside of the glove to help reduce sweating. I generally wear through a pair every few years or so but they are only around $15 a pair.

For boots I mainly use Redwing. They are great and long lasting. If you really want to go to the next step however, I don't think you can beat White boots.

https://whitesboots.com/

They are tailor made to your measurements, they will rebuild them as necessary and of course, you pay through the nose for those features. But they are the crème de la crème as far as I'm concerned.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Tips:
Wear long cuff medical examination gloves under the leather work gloves to keep fingers and skin, etc, in good health.
Buy boots larger if for cold winter use as well to fit thicker socks.
Buy different types of boots for different uses.
Comfy mid or high ankle hiking boots are sometimes more comfy than work boot brands.
Consider the soul of the boot depending on use and weather, slip or anti slip, heavy clogs pickup mud, etc.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

Firewood will shred leather gloves.. use nitrile dipped mesh gloves instead (bonus, less sweaty)

Boots, unless you're doing real industrial work, synthetic (plastic) toe caps are a lot lighter and probably sufficient.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Darth Xanadu wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:37 am
squirm wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:30 pm Project Farm has already thoroughly reviewed these for you. I suggest you watch his reviews.
These videos are great -- thank you!
Yup, he does awesome nonbiased reviews on a lot of different products. Frankly I'd take his recommendations over bogleheads.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

fortunefavored wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 am Firewood will shred leather gloves.. use nitrile dipped mesh gloves instead (bonus, less sweaty)

Boots, unless you're doing real industrial work, synthetic (plastic) toe caps are a lot lighter and probably sufficient.
These gloves may be the best thing that Harbor Freight sells:
https://harborfreight.com/safety/gloves ... 90912.html

They're comfortable, the fight snugly so dexterity is maintained, they're really durable (for the price) and they're cheap.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Luke Duke wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 am
fortunefavored wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 am Firewood will shred leather gloves.. use nitrile dipped mesh gloves instead (bonus, less sweaty)

They're comfortable, the fight snugly so dexterity is maintained, they're really durable (for the price) and they're cheap.
I agree - cheap tight fitting semi-disposable gloves are the modern "work glove". So much more dexterous and you can throw them in the wash when filthy. They last a long time too. Buy them so they fit snugly.
https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Glov ... 78&sr=8-11
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

hicabob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am

I agree - cheap tight fitting semi-disposable gloves are the modern "work glove". So much more dexterous and you can throw them in the wash when filthy. They last a long time too. Buy them so they fit snugly.
I've never tried washing them. You might have just cut my annual $4 work glove budget in half.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I'm hard on my gloves: shoveling, raking, weeding, using a pickax. I couldn't find online the leather gloves, yellow, that are at Walmart for $10 +/-. I won't spend much more since I tend to loose things outside. Here in the south, I never noticed they make my hands sweat. I'm on my second year for these gloves and the yellow color makes them easy to find when I leave them in the yard.

Don't go for thin if using for stacking wood or moving it...black widow spiders love those spaces if they are in your area.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu »

hicabob wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I'll give this type of glove a shot.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

I get the light color all leather gloves work gloves that sometimes come in 3 packs at big box stores.

For shoes, I have been buying Keen boots from Amazon warehouse. Takes a little search time. They are usually 60-70% off. I have a pair arriving today that was only $45. I go for the “like new” and I don’t think I’ve had to send any back for not meeting my expectations. More like a hiking shoe which I like. After a couple close calls cutting trees and firewood, I started going with the steel toe too.
Candor

Post by Candor »

I have had several Danner boots over the years and they have held up very well.

https://www.danner.com/men/work?sortId=product-family
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I wear semi-cheap split leather palm / fabric back gloves only for jobs that call for extra protection, like bucking hay..

After getting used to having nitrile coated, knit gloves stocked at work for a while, this type has become my go-to most tasks. You can find this style of gloves with other coatings like latex or neoprene. Each has different strengths, and nitrile has been my favorite. The main downside is they have almost no puncture resistance, so they're not great for dealing with blackberries, for example.

They provide very good dexterity and comfort, and an appropriate amount of protective for light to medium duty tasks like you describe. They're cheap so I don't care about wearing them out or getting them filthy. The coating provides good grip and a small amount of liquid protection. I sometimes wash them if they get uncomfortably dirty. I use them several hours per week on average, and go through probably 2-3 pairs a year. Splitting firewood tends to wear out the palm between the thumb and forefinger. Gardening or landscaping wears out the finger tips. But in all cases, think they hold up more than adequately for the price.

I've tried a few brands, including those at Home Depot and Harbor Freight. My favorite so has been some by Wells Lamont, which Costco seems to sell seasonally. I think it is these:
https://www.wellslamont.com/product/nit ... pair-pack/

Because the back is uncoated, they breathe reasonably well so my hands don't tend to get sweaty.

What works best for a boot varies too much by person for me to be inclined to make a recommendation. Besides, I haven't found a steel-toe boot so far that I am more than content with.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Used to get Carhartt gloves but they changed the styles a year or 2 ago and I don't care for the new models. Have changed to Tillman, model 865 for winter and 1415 for the rest of the year. Deerskin and Goatskin, respectively.
Regards | Bob
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I use Keen work boots when it is cold out. When it's warm out (most of the year) I buy inexpensive low cut hikers that Costco sells for apprx $30 a pair - buy 3 pairs at a time. They wear our pretty quick but are usually so mucked up and dirty by then that I am happy to get a new pair.

Work gloves that you can use for carpentry, framing, siding and trim have to be thin enough to provide adequate dexterity. They usually don't last more than 6 months depending on the work load. Bigger heavy work gloves might last a long time but they are pretty useless for most tasks except maybe using a shovel, a sledge, or running a jack hammer.