Beautiful Porcelain Tiles. Leftover. What to do?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

Beautiful Porcelain Tiles. Leftover. What to do?

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

Have a ton of leftover Porcelain Big Cuts tiles from new construction ADU. The Porcelain Tile is 24” x 36” Calacatta. Leftovers. What to do?
celia

Re: Beautiful Porcelain Tiles. Leftover. What to do?

Post by celia »

Hold onto them as they will be needed in the future if any of the installed tiles crack. Our tile guy pulled out a bottom drawer all the way, put some excess tiles on the floor, then put the drawer back.

I don't know if this is a standard practice for saving pieces that won't be available in the future, but the hidden spot made lots of sense to me.

If you have entire boxes left over, you might be able to return them. Some people use broken tiles to make a mosaic or attach to the side of garden pots or whatever. A good idea will come to you right after you dispose of them!
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Announce on Craig's List and give them away.
"We have seen much more money made and kept by “ordinary people” who were temperamentally well suited for the investment process than by those who lacked this quality." Ben Graham
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

celia wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:45 pm Hold onto them as they will be needed in the future if any of the installed tiles crack. Our tile guy pulled out a bottom drawer all the way, put some excess tiles on the floor, then put the drawer back.

I don't know if this is a standard practice for saving pieces that won't be available in the future, but the hidden spot made lots of sense to me.

If you have entire boxes left over, you might be able to return them. Some people use broken tiles to make a mosaic or attach to the side of garden pots or whatever. A good idea will come to you right after you dispose of them!
Great advice celia, Thanks!
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

sschullo wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:50 pm Announce on Craig's List and give them away.
Thank you sschullo. Problem with that is I don't like people coming to my house :happy
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I would save the extra tiles.

I bought a house with tiled floors. I was sooooo happy to find several boxes of extra tiles in the "cubby" under the stairs. The previous owner didn't mind the cracked/chipped tiles and didn't replace them. I was trying to figure out what if anything could be done about the handful of tiles that were damaged (how hard to match them?) when I came across the spare tiles. Problem solved. The expense of having the tiles replaced wasn't that bad. I'm glad I did it. And I'm glad the previous owner left the old tiles (probably didn't realize they were there under the stairs.)
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:12 pm I would save the extra tiles.

I bought a house with tiled floors. I was sooooo happy to find several boxes of extra tiles in the "cubby" under the stairs. The previous owner didn't mind the cracked/chipped tiles and didn't replace them. I was trying to figure out what if anything could be done about the handful of tiles that were damaged (how hard to match them?) when I came across the spare tiles. Problem solved. The expense of having the tiles replaced wasn't that bad. I'm glad I did it. And I'm glad the previous owner left the old tiles (probably didn't realize they were there under the stairs.)
Awesome! Thank you LittleMaggieMae. Have a BLESSED Day!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

celia wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:45 pm Hold onto them as they will be needed in the future if any of the installed tiles crack. Our tile guy pulled out a bottom drawer all the way, put some excess tiles on the floor, then put the drawer back.
Yes, it's a great idea to keep enough tiles to replace the longest span in the space in which they were installed (e.g., if the longest span is 25', then keep enough tiles to go 25'). This is especially helpful if the tiles were installed directly over relatively new concrete, which is very liable to crack as the foundation settles over the first few years.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

We had some of our tiles crack and luckily had spares that the builder left over. So they came in handy
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” - Ben Graham
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Donate them to Habitat Restore.

I bought a small lot from Restore for my tiny bathroom.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

DW had a bunch of curtain hooks from Pottery Barn that she didn't need. She sold them on eBay for "best offer." There were several bids and they sold for much more than she thought. Someone may just be looking for the leftover porcelain tiles you have.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Donate
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mkc

Post by mkc »

Hold onto as much as you can. Tiles get discontinued every few years. There can be significant lot-to-lot color variations.

We have remodeled 2 and built 3 houses and have always been glad we saved the extra tiles. Something dropped, a slab crack, etc. We've needed to replace one often enough that we keep spares on hand. In fact, with this house, there weren't many leftover so we purchased an extra box of each tile from the supplier (and a box of the wood flooring).
Last edited by mkc on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Definitely keep a bunch as spares. Try to keep some grout also.

Personally I think it would be too much trouble to deal with people through a website, either for money or free. Maybe the tile shop will take a bunch back and sell them as a small lot. Maybe someone wants to tile a very small bathroom.
hudson

Post by hudson »

VeryBlessedCali wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 pm Have a ton of leftover Porcelain Big Cuts tiles from new construction ADU. The Porcelain Tile is 24” x 36” Calacatta. Leftovers. What to do?
I don't throw mine away until the floor goes away. Use them to line shelves...get them cut to fit before the tile man leaves.
When I get a new roof, I ask for the extra shingles; I try to get an extra bundle.
Siding too...bricks also...pack rat?
Last edited by hudson on Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
VeryBlessedCali

Thank you for your inputs, folks!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Another similar thing to save is that when a countertop is installed they will cut out a hole to install the sink. Be sure to save that cutout.

It will vary a lot with the countertop material but that can sometimes be used to patch a counter if there is damage to the countertop.

We have Corian with a random pattern and the person who was installing it told us to keep that extra material since Corian can be repaired well if you have matching material.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

OP said there are a ton of extras. I would save what you want for replacements and repairs.You might consider using others to make a tabletop, serving tray, kitchen backsplash, etc. I've used smaller pieces mounted on a base to make a trivet. Have fun.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."