New laptop recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MapleSyrup

New laptop recommendations

Post by MapleSyrup »

I’m thinking about buying a new laptop. I don’t really need one, but it would be nice to have, especially for listening to my music. In the past, I have just copied my CDs onto my computer onto iTunes, but I guess it’s not very common for laptops to have a CD drive these days. Is it feasible to just buy an external CD drive and plug it in with a USB cable?

Other uses would be light, occasional web browsing, and possibly occasional word processor use. I don’t even know how to use Excel, so I’m not concerned with that.

What do I need to look for in a laptop? I’ve always used Windows, but I prefer windows 7 to the new windows 10. I bought a chrome book from Costco 2 years ago but returned it because I couldn’t stand using it. It was slow, and couldn’t stand using the Chrome operating system compared to Windows.

Does the amount of RAM determine the speed of the computer? How much RAM does one need? The Chrome book I returned had 4 or 8 GB of RAM I think, and was very slow.

I haven’t considered a desktop computer because I don’t have a big enough home to devote a full time space for the computer.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!
dbr

Re: New laptop recommendations

Post by dbr »

RAM does not determine the speed of the computer unless there is not enough at which point things can slow down. For ordinary computer users 8MB is likely sufficient but it is not a bad idea to buy 16. If you are running memory intensive processes such as gaming you might need more. There is an old rule in computing that you can never have too much memory.

You can consider going with all solid state SSD mass storage. That in itself makes many processes faster.

Windows vs OSX is a brand decision between PCs and Apple. Most people already have their mind made up about Apple. Win 7 was good but Win 10 seems to be good too. If you don't like Windows or Chrome then you want a MAC. You will pay more for Apple products, but if you like them then you will like them a lot.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I keep a lot (30-50) of tabs open in my browser so I need more memory than most. My current laptop has 16gb which is about right for me. I bought an 8gb laptop and upgraded the memory myself, but it is not easy to do on this laptop (had to remove the motherboard). 8Gb might be enough for windows 10 if you don't keep a lot of things open at the same time. I buy the cheapest laptop I can find and then always upgrade the memory.

You can buy a usb cd/dvd drive for a few bucks, mine works great. I keep all my music on my laptop
(currently 400 gb of songs) and I have a non-ssd 1tb drive. A little slower than a ssd but it works ok for me.
Topic Author
MapleSyrup

Post by MapleSyrup »

Thanks for the advice and suggestions so far!
hudson

Post by hudson »

MapleSyrup wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:03 pm I’m thinking about buying a new laptop. I don’t really need one, but it would be nice to have, especially for listening to my music. In the past, I have just copied my CDs onto my computer onto iTunes, but I guess it’s not very common for laptops to have a CD drive these days. Is it feasible to just buy an external CD drive and plug it in with a USB cable?

Other uses would be light, occasional web browsing, and possibly occasional word processor use. I don’t even know how to use Excel, so I’m not concerned with that.

What do I need to look for in a laptop? I’ve always used Windows, but I prefer windows 7 to the new windows 10. I bought a chrome book from Costco 2 years ago but returned it because I couldn’t stand using it. It was slow, and couldn’t stand using the Chrome operating system compared to Windows.

Does the amount of RAM determine the speed of the computer? How much RAM does one need? The Chrome book I returned had 4 or 8 GB of RAM I think, and was very slow.

I haven’t considered a desktop computer because I don’t have a big enough home to devote a full time space for the computer.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!
USB CD Drives: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+cd+drive ... zzw5e1hh_e

Laptop: Good Processor, 16GB Ram, 256 GB SSD...solid state hard drive...minimum, Windows 11
Windows 7 is bad news
Window 10 is OK
If I was buying new, I would go with Windows 11; if you can work Windows 7, you'll catch on quickly.
Max price that you'll pay?
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Macbook
16GB RAM
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
VeryBlessedCali

Post by VeryBlessedCali »

Not a popular choice but Samsung Galaxy Book Pro is phenomenal. Outpaces Spectre, Dell and Lenovo by lightyears.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/ga ... lsrc=aw.ds
hudson

Post by hudson »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 pm Macbook
16GB RAM
13-inch MacBook Air - Space Gray https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/

$1069 out the door directly from Apple

Hardware
Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 7‑core GPU, and 16‑core Neural Engine
8GB unified memory
256GB SSD storage
Retina display with True Tone
Backlit Magic Keyboard - US English
Touch ID
Force Touch trackpad
Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
Accessory Kit
Software
Photos, iMovie, GarageBand
Pages, Numbers, Keynote
macOS ...so no Windows 7, 10 or 11

Note: I'm not recommending a mac; the above is just information.
I personally prefer Windows computers as I swallowed the hook in 1987 (The Apple 2E gave me heartburn), but I'm always on the edge of getting a mac to try out and return within 14 days. :)
Last edited by hudson on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

My go to, daily machine is a 2011 MB Air. Only downside to the Air models is they don't use a standard SSD, so a bit fussier to acquire the specific one for a particular model to replace. Still using the original in my 2011. Also have a new MB Pro provided by employer. The model with only two USB-c or whatever they're calling them this week slots (which is a pain) and the silly touch bar. I hardly ever use it.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

By the way, the new Windows is 11; Windows 7 is long out of date.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

dbr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm RAM does not determine the speed of the computer unless there is not enough at which point things can slow down. For ordinary computer users 8MB is likely sufficient but it is not a bad idea to buy 16.
I'd recommend about 1000X that, say 8 to 16 GB. :happy
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

As others have said, current model Macbook Airs (the M1s) are fantastic machines for 90% of users. Fast, great battery life, solid screen and speakers, etc. Doesn't have a fan, and doesn't really need one.
Point

Post by Point »

Add a USB SuperDrive to your MacBook to read or write CDs and DVDs. 79$
Morris89

Post by Morris89 »

I'd also recommend the M1 MacBook Air, I love mine! Whatever you get, CD/DVD reading is not difficult even with new laptops. I plugged in an old Dell USB DVD I got off eBay several years ago to my MacBook Air using a USB-C Hub and read a bunch of old DVDs and CDs with no problem. I'm sure you could do the same with a Windows laptop. I hear the Dell XPS 13 or 15 is a decent Windows laptop. Check out reviews on Youtube before buying any of them.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Bought two Lenovo IdeaPads from Costco.

16GB RAM, Intel I5, SSD. Very fast. Great keyboard and display. Minimal bloatware. Less than $650.