Best website for booking one night at a hotel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DPEMD

Best website for booking one night at a hotel?

Post by DPEMD »

I need to book a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale for one night before a cruise. Any recommended websites? Thanks in advance.
diy60

Re: Best website for booking one night at a hotel?

Post by diy60 »

Search on any of the booking sites for hotel ideas, then book directly with the hotel of your choice.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Try this website:

www.hoteltonight.com
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I booked a hotel back in July. I ended up trying 3 different sites. One of them would not confirm my credit card after getting through all the booking. Another one said to call the hotel. The 3rd one worked in that it took my credit card, but an hour later I got an e-mail from the hotel to call them to confirm.

In the end, I think ALL the different sites I used were just front-ends for Expedia despite their different nuances.

I see no reason for you not to check 5 sites quickly once you decide on the hotel that you want to book.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

diy60 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:56 pm Search on any of the booking sites for hotel ideas, then book directly with the hotel of your choice.
+1
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

RetiredAL wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:31 pm
diy60 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:56 pm Search on any of the booking sites for hotel ideas, then book directly with the hotel of your choice.
+1
I would do this also. Obviously the odds of needing to cancel on very short notice is high given the pandemic, so I'd pay particular attention to the cancellation terms.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

I use booking.com a lot.
A fool and your money are soon partners
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

I use expedia or travelocity.

BTW a tip: if you are flying in before the cruise, try to see if you can carry-on your bags instead of checking them in. In our case we had checked in 3 bags of which only 1 arrived at fort lauderdale with our flight, the other 2 were delayed somewhere. Luckily we had a couple of days before our cruise (we had planned a trip up to cape canaveral) so the bags 'caught up' before we boarded. Would have sucked to start a 7-day cruise without most of our luggage!
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
daheld

Post by daheld »

Search for hotels offering stays within your geographical and price range. Call hotels directly. You're more likely to get a discount off the listed price by just calling the hotel.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Don't forget AirBNB or VRBO. Fees are generally high for a one night stay, but sometimes it can still be cheaper than a hotel. Check reviews and make sure you get passcode access so you don't have to wait for someone to show up and let you in.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

+1 on booking directly with the hotel.

Although, to find the hotel, I would just use Google maps. Zoom in to where the terminal is, search for "hotel", and see what pops up.

I'm sure people save a few bucks by using booking sites, but I've never been convinced that it's worth the extra red tape.
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
sport

Post by sport »

Once you have your reservation, check the hotel web site when it gets closer to your date. Sometimes, if the hotel projects too many vacancies for a date they will lower their rates. If that happens, you can make a new reservation and cancel the old one. Just be sure there are no penalties for cancelling and make sure you have the new reservation before cancelling the old one.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

priceline express deals
Thanks!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Check the hotel's own website for any specials.

We had been looking at a particular 5* hotel in Milan, and saw refundable prices, so we grabbed those while continuing to look at "discount booking sites".

As the date approached, we saw some specials online, on the hotel's own website, but not for all of the nights, and the better rates were non-refundable. We were quite sure about our travel plans by this later date.
So I booked the few nights that were available at the much lower rate.
I then emailed the hotel to tell them what we were doing, and ask them a) to cancel the overlapping reservations at their higher, refundable price, and b) to please make note of our combo reservations, all at the same category room... and would they please try to block the same room for us to avoid needing to move (which is annoying for us, and would cost the hotel in terms of extra full "between guest" cleaning, etc.).

They surprised us by writing back that they would be delighted to arrange the same room for us for the entire stay and... they would honor that lower website rate for our entire stay.

It's worth asking!
(And we hadn't even asked for all of that :wink: )

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

DPEMD wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:51 pm I need to book a hotel room in Fort Lauderdale for one night before a cruise. Any recommended websites?
Like others, I just use the aggregate sites to get ideas and then book directly from the hotel itself. Doing this has some advantages. It is much much easier to get refunds is you need to cancel. It is much much easier to change the date if something were to happen to push the date. It is much easier to get points for free stays that can be used in the future by booking in person. The aggregate sites sometimes allow you to do this but I've had problems with them in the past of not registering the information properly for one reason or another. In my experience, hotels often book guests who book directly or are rewards members in separate areas from those that use aggregate sites and I think it tends to be much much quieter at night. For me, these advantages outweigh any of the meager savings you can sometimes get by using aggregate sites.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Google has a hotel search where it overlays the hotels and their prices on a map based on whatever dates are selected. I usually book at the hotel's website but Google also lists prices at the various 3rd party travel sites.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

For ordinary bookings all the majors are pretty much the same.
livesoft wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 pm I booked a hotel back in July. I ended up trying 3 different sites. One of them would not confirm my credit card after getting through all the booking. Another one said to call the hotel. The 3rd one worked in that it took my credit card, but an hour later I got an e-mail from the hotel to call them to confirm.
Before the apocalypse I had trouble getting a booking to go through using Expedia. So I used the hotel website instead.

When I got there they declined my booking and said they were overbooked.

Expedia was right, the hotel website was wrong.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

When I was working the front desk at a major hotel chain, ANY call that came in for a reservation was immediately forwarded to the chain's 1-800 number. I did not have the time to help the 2-3 customers in front of me and answer the phone calls from guests to have to spend 5-10 minutes taking a reservation from someone who thought that they could low-ball me. I had no authorization to offer discounts.
dbr

Post by dbr »

campy2010 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:53 am Google has a hotel search where it overlays the hotels and their prices on a map based on whatever dates are selected. I usually book at the hotel's website but Google also lists prices at the various 3rd party travel sites.
Yes, I use the map to see what is available where and then always go to the hotel website. Choosing location is important. I do have some status at a couple of hotels but that does not dictate choices unless it is also the best option. In that case you always book at the hotel website.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

If there is availability, the best rates will be available on the afternoon of your check-in. Hotels don't want empty rooms and can offer amazing details, especially for walk-ins.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

This site may be worth a try

https://www.hotelslash.com/
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)