Sprint SIM card -> T-Mobile SIM card experiences?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
djm2001

Sprint SIM card -> T-Mobile SIM card experiences?

Post by djm2001 »

T-Mobile has been pushing me to switch from my old Sprint SIM card to a new T-Mobile SIM card, and I just got an email saying that I need to do this by Jan 1, 2022 because they will retire the Sprint CDMA network.

For those who have already done the switch, has your post-switch coverage/quality been an improvement or a step back? (I found a Reddit thread where people were complaining about their service after the switch, but the thread title was framed negatively and so perhaps there was some selection bias in the replies.)
gac1979

Re: Sprint SIM card -> T-Mobile SIM card experiences?

Post by gac1979 »

I switched over about a week ago. I haven’t noticed much difference at all. I’m in a metro area, so all carriers have relatively good service though.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

djm2001 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 am T-Mobile has been pushing me to switch from my old Sprint SIM card to a new T-Mobile SIM card, and I just got an email saying that I need to do this by Jan 1, 2022 because they will retire the Sprint CDMA network.

For those who have already done the switch, has your post-switch coverage/quality been an improvement or a step back? (I found a Reddit thread where people were complaining about their service after the switch, but the thread title was framed negatively and so perhaps there was some selection bias in the replies.)
Do you have an older phone? I have only gotten emails inviting me to switch, but nothing saying I have to switch.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

No problems for me. I went to a Sprint location, and they switched it for me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

They sent me a SIM card to switch. I switched, but I couldn't get service. Called and they said I needed to upgrade my phone to work on their network. Asked why they sent me a SDIM card to put in this phone, they didn't have an answer they just reiterated I needed to upgrade now and swap that SIM into the new phone.

I ended up swapping back to my SIM from Sprint for the time being which required a couple auth steps, opposed to switching the Sprint for TMo. This happened the afternoon of their hack. Didn't shed a good light for them for me. Doubly annoyed as I have the Cat s48c and they won't just replace the Sprint model for the TMo model.

My siblings have switched their SIMs. Mixed reviews of signal quality. One in AZ says it seems every time the internet goes down, his phone service is poor.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I switched a few months ago. No issues, except that T-Mobile spams my phone way more than Sprint did.

Also, I had a Samsung Galaxy S7, which is why I had to switch. Upgraded to Samsung Galaxy S21+.

-B
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Barsoom wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 am I switched a few months ago. No issues, except that T-Mobile spams my phone way more than Sprint did...
Interesting. T-Mobile warns me about potential spam calls. Sprint never did this for me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

cheese_breath wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:07 am
Barsoom wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:58 am I switched a few months ago. No issues, except that T-Mobile spams my phone way more than Sprint did...
Interesting. T-Mobile warns me about potential spam calls. Sprint never did this for me.
I got spam call warnings from Sprint. With T-Mobile, I get notifications about their apps, about uninstalling apps to save space, and then asking me to install their apps instead, and on and on.

-B
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

No issues. Coverage/speed will vary depending on your location. Mine did not improve any.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

I did it about a month ago. No issues. Seems the same to me.
eric321

Post by eric321 »

Did the switch. Much better coverage. The switch had some hiccups, mainly due to me not remembering my sprint or t-mobile ID, which was made worse by me switching from t-mobile to sprint.

Definetly do it. Lack of phones in stock was a reason I didn't do it before. I didn't want the free phone but was willing to pay $300 for a midrange one

If you have a store nearby have them do it.
arf1410

Post by arf1410 »

I did it on one of our phones, and coverage got WORSE in some of the more remote areas we spend time in.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

T-mobile gives me and my wife a new Samsung A32 to switch. Need to use chat support to switch. Other than that, no problem. I have to turn off WiFi calling to make my phone call and SMS reliable. It is on by default.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

arf1410 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:46 pm I did it on one of our phones, and coverage got WORSE in some of the more remote areas we spend time in.
Do you try to use the WiFi calling on your phone? Was it on or off? It is one of the setting on your phone app.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
HE Pennypacker

Post by HE Pennypacker »

No issues swapping my sim to Tmobile. Now if they could only keep my data safe :x
arf1410

Post by arf1410 »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:03 pm
arf1410 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:46 pm I did it on one of our phones, and coverage got WORSE in some of the more remote areas we spend time in.
Do you try to use the WiFi calling on your phone? Was it on or off? It is one of the setting on your phone app.

KlangFool
ha. Wifi calling is great at home, but hardly need a cell phone when at home. Its when were are out and about, in more remote areas, the problem starts
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:01 pm OP,

T-mobile gives me and my wife a new Samsung A32 to switch. Need to use chat support to switch. Other than that, no problem. I have to turn off WiFi calling to make my phone call and SMS reliable. It is on by default.

KlangFool
KlangFool, did you have to change your plans from Sprint ones to new T-mobile ones?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:47 am

KlangFool
KlangFool, did you have to change your plans from Sprint ones to new T-mobile ones?
No. I am still on the same Sprint plan as far as I know.

KlangFool
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:13 am

KlangFool

KlangFool
Where the phones free? Did they offer it or did you have to ask?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:17 am

KlangFool

KlangFool
They offered it. The phone were free as long as I stay on the same plan for 24 months. If not, I pay the prorated amount by remaining months.

KlangFool
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 am

KlangFool

KlangFool
They offered it. The phone were free as long as I stay on the same plan for 24 months. If not, I pay the prorated amount by remaining months.

KlangFool
Were the free phones offered in your online account or did they offer them over the phone?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:29 am
KlangFool wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 am

KlangFool

KlangFool
Were the free phones offered in your online account or did they offer them over the phone?
I believed that they mailed me a letter. I cannot be sure. I know that this is happening so I called them.

KlangFool
vanguardrocks

Post by vanguardrocks »

I switched the SIM card two months ago. Haven't noticed any issues with coverage. The rep at the T-Mobile store told me the company is taking down Sprint towers and eventually the coverage with Sprint SIM is expected to get spotty.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Made the switch. No issues.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Is T-Mobile in the process of improving their coverage?
z0r

Post by z0r »

t-mobile coverage has gotten dramatically better the last few years as they've added long range band 12 and band 71. it's worth getting a new phone that supports both of these if you ever go places with iffy coverage

look for a new phone on this page

https://www.tmoband71.com/
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

djm2001 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 am For those who have already done the switch, has your post-switch coverage/quality been an improvement or a step back? (I found a Reddit thread where people were complaining about their service after the switch, but the thread title was framed negatively and so perhaps there was some selection bias in the replies.)
Made the upgrade. Seemed ok.

Went overseas. No connection despite global roaming being in my plan and being in a covered area.

Customer service would not help. They said I needed the security pin. Had it at home. Couldn't log in to my account to view it (it's online) as I needed 2FA verification via text message to access my account and view it. Was overseas without a connection and they couldn't not do 2FA any other way. No, being on wifi doesn't get the 2FA. They said bring it into a store then ... All customer service would do is upsell me on unlimited calling overseas which would "solve" my problem. I said data roaming/calling is already included and I don't need it that much. I repeatedly had to point them to their own documentation for them to finally acknowledge that was the case. Sigh.

Am using Google FI now after explaining this what seemed like six times to finally get T-Mobile to unlock my phone and port the number.

Not really sure if network failure overseas is related to the upgrade or not. Just be sure to have your security pin on hand if you do travel and it fails. That's my advice.
Topic Author
djm2001

Post by djm2001 »

typical.investor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:39 pm Am using Google FI now after explaining this what seemed like six times to finally get T-Mobile to unlock my phone and port the number.
After some problems with trying to transfer to T-Mobile SIM cards, I ended up switching to Google Fi as well. The SIM cards that T-Mobile sent me wouldn't activate. T-Mobile support told me that it's because my phone did not support 5G and that I need to upgrade them. Well, I'm not willing to buy new 5G-enabled phones just because T-Mobile wants to save money by shutting down Sprint's old network. I also don't want to take their offer for discounted phone upgrades because I don't want to be locked into their plan for another 2 years.

Google Fi is working well so far -- I drove from DC to FL this week and got good coverage the whole way down except for some rural areas in north central FL. The activation and transfer process has been painless so far. Fi allows me to transfer my Sprint family plan lines over one by one (useful for testing a couple of lines before moving everyone over), and allows me to keep my existing phones and phone numbers. I have 6 phones on my Sprint family plan, and have successfully switched over 2 of them -- a Pixel 4a and a Moto X4.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

djm2001 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:09 pm
typical.investor wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:39 pm Am using Google FI now after explaining this what seemed like six times to finally get T-Mobile to unlock my phone and port the number.
After some problems with trying to transfer to T-Mobile SIM cards, I ended up switching to Google Fi as well. The SIM cards that T-Mobile sent me wouldn't activate. T-Mobile support told me that it's because my phone did not support 5G and that I need to upgrade them. Well, I'm not willing to buy new 5G-enabled phones just because T-Mobile wants to save money by shutting down Sprint's old network. I also don't want to take their offer for discounted phone upgrades because I don't want to be locked into their plan for another 2 years.

Google Fi is working well so far -- I drove from DC to FL this week and got good coverage the whole way down except for some rural areas in north central FL. The activation and transfer process has been painless so far. Fi allows me to transfer my Sprint family plan lines over one by one (useful for testing a couple of lines before moving everyone over), and allows me to keep my existing phones and phone numbers. I have 6 phones on my Sprint family plan, and have successfully switched over 2 of them -- a Pixel 4a and a Moto X4.
You could have just stayed with T-MYIobile and gotten new 5g phones for free over 2 years, if you cared. Just FYI. On an old grandfathered family plan, and we did it, got 6 free phones (could have gotten 8)
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:20 pm

You could have just stayed with T-MYIobile and gotten new 5g phones for free over 2 years, if you cared. Just FYI. On an old grandfathered family plan, and we did it, got 6 free phones (could have gotten 8)
How do you do that? I am still on an old Sprint plan and keep getting asked to switch to a T-Mob sim but no mention of a free phone.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:24 pm

How do you do that? I am still on an old Sprint plan and keep getting asked to switch to a T-Mob sim but no mention of a free phone.
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrie ... e-5gforall

The original offer was Samsung a32 5g , which is really nice, got 4x. The current offer was Oneplus n200 5g , which is also nice (worse camera tho). You have to trade in ANY phone that powers on and is not physically cracked. We traded 4 year old phones with no problem.
Topic Author
djm2001

Post by djm2001 »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:35 pm

The original offer was Samsung a32 5g , which is really nice, got 4x. The current offer was Oneplus n200 5g , which is also nice (worse camera tho). You have to trade in ANY phone that powers on and is not physically cracked. We traded 4 year old phones with no problem.
I didn't take that offer because, as I mentioned, I didn't want to be locked into T-Mobile for 2 more years. They offered me a free device upgrade for only two of my six phones. For the rest, they offered subsidized (but not free) upgrades. I surmised that the free device upgrade applies only to older phones (iPhone 7, Moto x4), not newer ones (Pixel 4a, Moto G Power, iPhone 12, etc.).
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

djm2001 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:10 pm

I didn't take that offer because, as I mentioned, I didn't want to be locked into T-Mobile for 2 more years. They offered me a free device upgrade for only two of my six phones. For the rest, they offered subsidized (but not free) upgrades. I surmised that the free device upgrade applies only to older phones (iPhone 7, Moto x4), not newer ones (Pixel 4a, Moto G Power, iPhone 12, etc.).
Is Google Fi limited to Pixel and Moto phones?
Topic Author
djm2001

Post by djm2001 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:13 pm Is Google Fi limited to Pixel and Moto phones?
Other phones are supported. You can check compatibility here.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

djm2001 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:19 pm
anon_investor wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:13 pm Is Google Fi limited to Pixel and Moto phones?
Other phones are supported. You can check compatibility here.
Thanks! :sharebeer

I will have to look into this, Google Fi looks cheaper than anything I can get on Sprint/T-Mob.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

T-mobile reception is none inside my building. at least Sprint gives me 3G. If they force me to change, I would cancel the cellular service .
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:41 am
djm2001 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 am T-Mobile has been pushing me to switch from my old Sprint SIM card to a new T-Mobile SIM card, and I just got an email saying that I need to do this by Jan 1, 2022 because they will retire the Sprint CDMA network.

Do you have an older phone? I have only gotten emails inviting me to switch, but nothing saying I have to switch.
You have to switch any phone on the Sprint CDMA network, we will be shutting that down within a year as we need that bandwidth for the 5G rollout.
I'm a former Sprint employee now working for T-Mo.

The process is painless on your end as long as you have an approved T-Mo phone which is 98% matching with the Sprint phones. Funny enough my Pixel 4XL is not on the list as it's not supported on the T-Mo back end retail system. I will be upgrading to the 6 Pro when it comes out.

Just go to a T-Mo store and have them do it. You can also get a do it yourself card with a new Sim in it if you want.
The only gotcha is if your an iPhone user, you need to turn off the "locate my phone" feature before switching it out.
tomander

Post by tomander »

No problem with the change in a Samsung Galaxy S8

Just made a second similar sim chip change to Mint with no problem, Still on Tmobile but saving $30 per month.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

djm2001 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:10 pm

Free upgrade terms are limit 4 (per model, you can get 4 of each of the free models) and you can trade any working phone. I don't know what they "offered" you, but those are the terms in black and white for anyone to read
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:30 pm

You have to switch any phone on the Sprint CDMA network, we will be shutting that down within a year as we need that bandwidth for the 5G rollout.

The process is painless on your end as long as you have an approved T-Mo phone which is 98% matching with the Sprint phones. Funny enough my Pixel 4XL is not on the list as it's not supported on the T-Mo back end retail system. I will be upgrading to the 6 Pro when it comes out.

Just go to a T-Mo store and have them do it. You can also get a do it yourself card with a new Sim in it if you want.
The only gotcha is if your an iPhone user, you need to turn off the "locate my phone" feature before switching it out.
Since you are an "insider" do you know if once I switch to a T-Mo sim via the mailed kit, whether I can from there just put that sim into any T-Mo compatable unlocked phone and be good to go? With Sprint, you used to have to do some kind of funky activation process with them either online or over the phone every time you got a new phone.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

Glad to hear Google Fi is working well for you.

To follow up, Google Fi is working great for us overseas as well. Twice Sprint/T-Mobile couldn't get their roaming to work and implied it was because we were using a discounted plan and should change which was absolute non-sense as roaming was stated to be included on the plan in the area we roamed. Google Fi had no trouble and cost less that the Sprint/T-Mobile plan that didn't work.

It's a relief to have overseas roaming actually work as promised.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I switched a few months ago, mainly because I wanted to use T-Mobile scam shield to block unwanted calls.

Works fine for me, no noticeable difference in call or data experience.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:03 pm I switched a few months ago, mainly because I wanted to use T-Mobile scam shield to block unwanted calls.

Did they let you keep your existing sprint plan and pricing?
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:08 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:03 pm I switched a few months ago, mainly because I wanted to use T-Mobile scam shield to block unwanted calls.

Yes, I am on a ridiculously cheap, unlimited everything plan for 2 phones.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Since you are an "insider" do you know if once I switch to a T-Mo sim via the mailed kit, whether I can from there just put that sim into any T-Mo compatable unlocked phone and be good to go? With Sprint, you used to have to do some kind of funky activation process with them either online or over the phone every time you got a new phone.
Sadly no the sim is tied to the IMEI hardware number of the phone and will not work outside of that phone.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

The Sprint plans will be going away an about a year when the CDMA network is turned off.
The Sprint/T-Mo plans are not comparable on the back end.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:32 am

The Sprint plans will be going away an about a year when the CDMA network is turned off.
The Sprint/T-Mo plans are not comparable on the back end.
I don't want to be forced to change plans because of the sim swap. I just got the T-Mo sim in the mail.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

brad.clarkston wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:30 am
anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Sadly no the sim is tied to the IMEI hardware number of the phone and will not work outside of that phone.
So if I buy a new unlocked phone I have to contact T-Mo to switch?
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Yes you ether go into a store or call the help line they will do the same thing.

The help line will try to activate an e-sim (verses a physical sim) first but I've found that to be 50/50 personally.
I just activated my new Pixel 6 Pro and needed a real sim the e-sim didn't work after three tries, lucky I had one.

I'd go into a store and at least ask for a sim card or just have them do it. I couldn't give up my old Pixel 4XL in
store as it was my only way to login to the company vpn so I did it at home via the retail help line.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

I switched last week and got no signal in my office. I will switch back.