Landlord won't fix contaminated water in the apartment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Landlord won't fix contaminated water in the apartment

Post by yosemite_mountain »

I moved into a new apartment 3 months ago.
Ever since I moved in, when I ingest any water from brushing, washing my face, rinsing fruits/vegetables, I get nausea, diarrhea and stomach pain. In addition when I take a shower, l get huge painful cysts on my face and scalp (folliculitis).
I root caused this to the water in the apartment being contaminated. When I boil the water for at least 5 minutes before I use it to brush teeth or rinse vegetables and fruit, I get no issues.

Question:
The apartment complex management won’t do anything to make the water safe. They are not responding to my emails. I want to move out but they want to charge me $6000 in fees for breaking the lease. What are my options?

A company came and took a sample from my kitchen sink. They tested for the contaminants below. All came back below the standard. I did notice that nitrite measured is 0.92mg/L which is very close to the standard of 1mg/L. Should I just keep testing for more contaminants to root cause what exactly is causing the issues? To be honest I'd just rather move out than have to figure all this out.

-Turbidity
-Total Coliforms
-E.Coli
-Chromium
-Copper
-Nitrate as N
-Nitrite as N
-Calcium hardness
-Total hardness
-Total dissolved solids
Last edited by yosemite_mountain on Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
carolinaman

Re: Landlord won't fix contaminated water in the apartment

Post by carolinaman »

Contact the Health Dept and have them test the water. If the water is contaminated, your landlord will fix the problem.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

You need to prove it's contaminated to proceed. I second the recommendation to have the health department take a sample. Municipal water districts have minimum requirements for potable water. That doesn't mean it has to taste good or be soft. What is the apartment's location? Is it on a well?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Also check with neighbors in the apartment complex to see if they have similar. If multiple people call health department it may bump it up in priority.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

The water department tests the water they send down the pipe.
It is possible that they will not come to test the water at your tap, in which case you will have to test it yourself.

This is the case for anyone with a private well.

There are test kits that you can purchase for this.

If the water is contaminated, the residence is not habitable, and though the landlord could sue you for breaking the lease, I doubt that he would win ,but you need proof .

I would test, and if it is contaminated, either talk to the landlord or get a lawyer.

In the meantime, If it were me, I'd get drinking water from another source. Jugs of water from a friend, or from a store. A distiller is another way.
For bathing, a shower at a truck stop (for a fee) or at a gym might be a temporary solution.
fposte

Post by fposte »

It looks like you're in an apartment--have you checked with your neighbors to see if they're having problems, or tried using their water to see if it makes a difference?
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

carolinaman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:28 pm Contact the Health Dept and have them test the water. If the water is contaminated, your landlord will fix the problem.
What health department should I contact to test the water?

Will having a private company test the water be quicker?

What exactly should I test for?
fposte

Post by fposte »

Here's a helpful EPA guide to what may need to be tested for and how to find the authority that would test.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

In VA, when there is a dispute between landlord and tenant, in some cases, the tenant may petition the Court and have the rent paid into an escrow account held by the court until the matter is adjudicated:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/55.1-1244/

I'd check online any handbooks your state has published on landlord / tenant disputes and if they offer any such remedy.

Be sure to document all commutation, stay calm and if you want have a company certified in environmental contamination see if this is an issue. In a complex, if it's isolated to one unit it's going to be more difficult. Our local TV networks love these type of consumer complaint issues.

I wonder how old the plumbing is. Old buildings may have their water lines relined with an epoxy rather than ripped out and replaced. Was this done?
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I get many of these symptoms from soft water in general, which is not considered a contamination. Some water is naturally soft enough to cause issues, but a whole house water softener is my torture for everyone else's luxury.

In other words, get testing done on the water to decide how to proceed.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This reminds of something that happened more than 25 years ago. A bottled water delivery driver lost his job, but kept delivering bottled water to the customers on his usual route. It turns out that he just filled old bottles with water from the ditch that was clear enough and not really from the bottled water company.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

stan1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:42 pm Also check with neighbors in the apartment complex to see if they have similar. If multiple people call health department it may bump it up in priority.
I have lived in two other apartments in the same complex and had no issues.

I think this is isolated to just my apartment
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

sailaway wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:13 pm I get many of these symptoms from soft water in general, which is not considered a contamination. Some water is naturally soft enough to cause issues, but a whole house water softener is my torture for everyone else's luxury.

In other words, get testing done on the water to decide how to proceed.
A company came and took a sample from my kitchen sink. They tested for the contaminants below. All came back below the standard. (I did notice that nitrite measured is 0.92mg/L which is very close to the standard of 1mg/L).

-Turbidity
-Total Coliforms
-E.Coli
-Chromium
-Copper
-Nitrate as N
-Nitrite as N
-Calcium hardness
-Total hardness
-Total dissolved solids
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Based on the information above and the water test results you posted I suspect your issues may not be due to water quality.
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

neilpilot wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:37 pm

Based on the information above and the water test results you posted I suspect your issues may not be due to water quality.
I switched to only using bottled water to brush teeth, wash my face, rinse fruits and vegetables, as well as not showering at the apartment, and all my issues disappeared. That is why I'm convinced its the water in the apartment.

As soon as I use the water in the apartment all my issues return.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:59 pm What health department should I contact to test the water?
I would start with your water utility. They often have free / discounted water testing procedures.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Do you have access to a water source in the apartment below your level? Perhaps an outdoor hose hook up? Test that water and compare it to the water in your apartment. If it tests the same, it’s likely the municipal water. If your units water tests notably different it’s possible there’s something local to your pipes/fixtures.

It’s certainly possible that you have a sensitivity to the water, but if the water were that offensive others living in the apartment building would be having similar issues.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Can you move to another apartment in the complex without paying a penalty? It seems like you lived in other units without a problem.
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

LilyFleur wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:00 pm Can you move to another apartment in the complex without paying a penalty? It seems like you lived in other units without a problem.
I asked the apartment management for that option, they said I have to pay a penalty
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:59 pm Do you have access to a water source in the apartment below your level? Perhaps an outdoor hose hook up? Test that water and compare it to the water in your apartment. If it tests the same, it’s likely the municipal water. If your units water tests notably different it’s possible there’s something local to your pipes/fixtures.

It’s certainly possible that you have a sensitivity to the water, but if the water were that offensive others living in the apartment building would be having similar issues.
I have lived in two other apartments in the same apartment complex, but different buildings and had no issues
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

I even asked management if I could have a reverse osmosis unit installed at my own cost and they said no...saying that the reverse osmosis unit would cause water leaks into the apartment below me.
fposte

Post by fposte »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:05 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:59 pm Do you have access to a water source in the apartment below your level? Perhaps an outdoor hose hook up? Test that water and compare it to the water in your apartment. If it tests the same, it’s likely the municipal water. If your units water tests notably different it’s possible there’s something local to your pipes/fixtures.

I have lived in two other apartments in the same apartment complex, but different buildings and had no issues
Have you checked with neighbors in the current building or experimented with the water they get?
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:40 pm

I switched to only using bottled water to brush teeth, wash my face, rinse fruits and vegetables, as well as not showering at the apartment, and all my issues disappeared. That is why I'm convinced its the water in the apartment.

If you can fix the problem using bottled water, isn't that the lowest cost solution? How many gallons per day do you use x how many days do you have left on your lease?
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I have known people who shower at the gym instead of at home.
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

JoinToday wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:11 pm
yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:40 pm

If you can fix the problem using bottled water, isn't that the lowest cost solution? How many gallons per day do you use x how many days do you have left on your lease?
I have been drinking bottled water.

I am unable to use boiled water to brush my teeth, wash my face, rinse fruits and vegetables.
Plus I cant use bottled water to shower.
I have 9 months left on the lease.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:02 pm
LilyFleur wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:00 pm Can you move to another apartment in the complex without paying a penalty? It seems like you lived in other units without a problem.
I asked the apartment management for that option, they said I have to pay a penalty
Depends how much hardball you want to play. If you can prove the water is not potable then you can move out and refuse to pay and let them sue you. Or you could rectify the situation and deduct it from your rent. Start with the health department.

Another option is to find someone to take over the lease.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I’m not clear here. Did you get the water tested? Is it bad?

By “health department,” they mean your county’s health department. If the water coming out of your tap is bad, the county health department will be very interested.

In the meantime, buy bottled water for drinking, cooking, and brushing teeth, and shower at the gym.

Have you seen a doctor to be sure the problems you’re having are not something else?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:44 pm
Depends how much hardball you want to play. If you can prove the water is not potable then you can move out and refuse to pay and let them sue you. Or you could rectify the situation and deduct it from your rent. Start with the health department.

^Another option is to find someone to take over the lease.

Of course, you'd have to disclose the suspect water issue to the subletter.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:53 pm

I don't know if you do, since the test results came back all negative. The OP has symptoms but not because the water is contaminated to the point of failing the tests.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:52 pm I’m not clear here. Did you get the water tested? Is it bad?

By “health department,” they mean your county’s health department. If the water coming out of your tap is bad, the county health department will be very interested.

In the meantime, buy bottled water for drinking, cooking, and brushing teeth, and shower at the gym.

Have you seen a doctor to be sure the problems you’re having are not something else?
I was about to ask if you might see either your primary care provider or perhaps (also?) an allergist.
They might want to see what happens when you wash with the water, and what they see might help with some diagnosis.
But don't use that water *unless* they've told you to do so first.

For me, it would be a VERY easy decision to pay a penalty and move to another building (or forfeit more, and move to a different complex entirely). Health... so important...!

Also, keep in mind that you can also do some quicker washing up with that bottled water, using a basin, like in the "good old days". There are many people who still do that anyway (and some who wish they could, but that's a separate issue).

Good luck!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Watty

Post by Watty »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:15 pm Plus I cant use bottled water to shower.
Just for brainstorming have you considered that it could be something on the towels that is causing you the problem with the shower?

If you are using a shared washing machine in the new building then it might not be rinsing out all the soap or someone else may be using too much detergent or something that might be contaminating the machine.

As other have said it would be good to check with your doctor since they may be able to suggest some other cause, or know something else that you could test the water for.
TXGator

Post by TXGator »

After getting the recommended water quality tests might also consider testing the apartment for mold
Last edited by TXGator on Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:53 pm

If the tests come back negative, there is no water issue. There is a renter issue.

Post by 123 »

Water can become contaminated if there are problems with an anti-siphon valve, backflow prevention devices, and some other plumbing situations. Typically these are used in connection with sprinkler systems but there could also be used in connection with a water-powered sump pump and possibly other circumstances. A water-powered sump pump might be installed for emergency purposes in the event of a power failure. Your local public health department is likely the best agency to contact. Any water tests done should test for both the presence of chemicals in the water as well as the presence of bacteria.

The issue raised by an earlier post about a shared washing machine is a good one. If another family that shares the use of a washer has an infant or toddler, particularly if they use cloth diapers, there could be an increased risk of contamination.

If the apartment complex has any "gray water" conservation mechanisms, typically holding tanks retaining water for irrigation use, there could be cross-contamination possibilities.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Watty wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:03 pm
yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:15 pm Plus I cant use bottled water to shower.
Just for brainstorming have you considered that it could be something on the towels that is causing you the problem with the shower?

If you are using a shared washing machine in the new building then it might not be rinsing out all the soap or someone else may be using too much detergent or something that might be contaminating the machine.

As other have said it would be good to check with your doctor since they may be able to suggest some other cause, or know something else that you could test the water for.
I'll check with my doctor. I have my own washing machine in the apartment
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:02 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:52 pm I’m not clear here. Did you get the water tested? Is it bad?

I was about to ask if you might see either your primary care provider or perhaps (also?) an allergist.
They might want to see what happens when you wash with the water, and what they see might help with some diagnosis.
But don't use that water *unless* they've told you to do so first.

For me, it would be a VERY easy decision to pay a penalty and move to another building (or forfeit more, and move to a different complex entirely). Health... so important...!

Also, keep in mind that you can also do some quicker washing up with that bottled water, using a basin, like in the "good old days". There are many people who still do that anyway (and some who wish they could, but that's a separate issue).

Good luck!

RM
True. I'm trying to move out.

Is there any way I can move out without paying the $6k and have it be held in a neutral account instead? This way if the health department investigates I don't lose any money.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

OP -

Before I retired, part of my responsibilities was to take water samples according to EPA drinking water standards from a building supplied only by a well. People don't realize the large number of contaminants (90?) that the EPA requires to be tested....your testing only covered a few of them. I think you need to test for the complete EPA list of inorganic and organic chemicals, both from your kitchen tap and your shower head. However, this will cost you hundreds of dollars. Call your local city or county health department and see if they would do it for you and cover the costs.

BTW, your water samples did not test for lead, arsenic or pH (level of acidity or basicity). Your doctor could take blood samples to test you for lead and arsenic toxicity. Finally, no one else in your apartment complex has issues with the water like you do?

Good luck with your investigation.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
Dusn

Post by Dusn »

They didn’t test your water for giardia?
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:23 pm True. I'm trying to move out.

Is there any way I can move out without paying the $6k and have it be held in a neutral account instead? This way if the health department investigates I don't lose any money.
Not unless the landlord agrees. You are asserting that the premises are unfit for habitation yet the water quality testing you had performed did not establish the contamination that you are alleging. Have you considered getting a second opinion from an accredited drinking water laboratory? Here is a resource to locate a lab in your state: https://waterboards.maps.arcgis.com/app ... 7bd2a4ebfa

Despite the title of your thread, this is not a case where "landlord won't fix contaminated water in the apartment", rather, it is a case of "I am having issues that I suspect are caused by the water in my apartment, but it tests normal. What can I do?"

Viewed objectively, it does not appear that you have any recourse at this point. As I see your current best options, they are:
  • Move out in accordance with the early termination provisions of your lease. Any early termination costs, if not in conflict with state or local law, would apply.
  • Obtain a second test from an accredited laboratory and see whether that result changes any options you may have.
Good luck!
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

livesoft wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:14 pm This reminds of something that happened more than 25 years ago. A bottled water delivery driver lost his job, but kept delivering bottled water to the customers on his usual route. It turns out that he just filled old bottles with water from the ditch that was clear enough and not really from the bottled water company.
could you please tell us how this bedtime story ends?

I'm hoping for something along the lines of...and then the unemployed fraudulent delivery driver went to jail and lost the trust of his entire community for ever and ever?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^I know he was charged, but I moved away before the case was decided. For something like this, I expect the sentence would have been a fine, maybe parole, and a promise not to do it again.

But another water-related story from this week: Students at a local high school were spotted spitting into the big water containers sitting on a cart that were prepared for the football team before a game. They thought no one was looking, but video cameras do not lie.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:23 pm
RM
True. I'm trying to move out.

[/quote]

If you move back to one of your previous buildings, do they still want to charge you a large penalty? If they would let you move within the complex for $500 or so, I think I would pay that.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

carolinaman wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:28 pm Contact the Health Dept and have them test the water. If the water is contaminated, your landlord will fix the problem.
+1
ASAP

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

galawdawg wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:46 pm
yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:23 pm True. I'm trying to move out.

Not unless the landlord agrees.
The landlord has stopped responding to any of my emails.
mary1492

Post by mary1492 »

I would suggest some decent water filters which do not require any plumbing changes. See if that helps the situation.

We have this one in all of our showers and it is wonderful:
https://www.amazon.com/Culligan-WSH-C12 ... B0006VVN1S

For your sinks try the Brita filter or similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Brita-Filtration ... B00006IV0P
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:16 pm
+1
ASAP

j🌺
Should I have the Health Dept test or should I have a private accredited laboratory test?
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

FreeAtLast wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:37 pm OP -

Before I retired, part of my responsibilities was to take water samples according to EPA drinking water standards from a building supplied only by a well. People don't realize the large number of contaminants (90?) that the EPA requires to be tested....your testing only covered a few of them. I think you need to test for the complete EPA list of inorganic and organic chemicals, both from your kitchen tap and your shower head. However, this will cost you hundreds of dollars. Call your local city or county health department and see if they would do it for you and cover the costs.

BTW, your water samples did not test for lead, arsenic or pH (level of acidity or basicity). Your doctor could take blood samples to test you for lead and arsenic toxicity. Finally, no one else in your apartment complex has issues with the water like you do?

Good luck with your investigation.
Thanks. Do you happen to have a link for the EPA contaminants I should test? The EPA website has so much information its overwhelming.

One thing to add, when I boil the apartment water for at least 5 minutes before I use it to brush teeth or rinse vegetables and fruit, I get no issues.
mrc

Post by mrc »

To set your mind at east, you could obtain your own test. You can get results in a couple days from ETR Labs, probably a week with shipping times both ways of the kit. I've used this test several times (I'm on a well).

GI problems suggest bacterial contamination, and this test checks for Total Coliform, Fecal E. coli and Total Bacteria Count.

There are two more complex tests available at higher cost.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

stan1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:42 pm Also check with neighbors in the apartment complex to see if they have similar. If multiple people call health department it may bump it up in priority.

It is very unlikely that the water to just one apartment is contaminated.

Unless there is a source of contamination inside a pipe in your unit, the water is supplied under pressure and leaks go out.

You can get the water tested again, but it is doubtful they will find anything, especially if it is a public water supply.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

yosemite_mountain wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:28 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:16 pm
+1
ASAP

j🌺
Should I have the Health Dept test or should I have a private accredited laboratory test?
Call the local Health Dept.
They might be able to get an inspector out right away in your case.
Docoment everything.
Get the Persons name you talk to and the inspector as well
J🌺

I’ve had experiences with this.
PM me as you wish.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know