Anyone buying cars right now?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

I have been eyeing getting a new car for past few years to replace one of ours which is now 10 yrs old. While I am always seemingly waiting to see what is about to come out, right now I have been looking at some Acura SUVs either MDX or RDX. This dumb chip shortage thing is killing my buying vibe. The sales guy told me they are getting $5k-$10k OVER STICKER right now as it is a hot model and demand is high. My Boglehead DNA will not allow me to pay MORE than sticker for a car. In fact, I have always prided myself on playing the negotiation game really hard to get a number right around INVOICE and not sticker.

Anyone in the business or in the know that has a sense of when new car inventories will come back to more normal? We talking later this fall or will it be a whole 'nother year? I know it WILL move back to normal markets and won't be this way forever.
RickBoglehead

Re: Anyone buying cars right now?

Post by RickBoglehead »

No one knows.

Find another dealer.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

I would wait 'till it cools down and buy a used car not new. A lightly used car will be $10,000 under sticker easy.
100% Global Stocks / Ibond Emergency Fund
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

I'm in the exact same boat. Still driving my 91 Honda Civic. I refuse to pay over MSRP, I'd rather walk and take public transportation :x
My concern is it will never "cool off" as Dealer's may catch on that moving less cars is just as profitable. The market may become more build to order. Perhaps enough resistance to this game may reverse it but I would not count on it with America's "I want it today" attitude.

4Runners are going for 5-7K over MSRP in my area. There is no stock on Corolla's etc...

An idea if you're up for a vacation/roadtrip. Find exactly what you want nationally at the best price and drive it back home.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I bought a new car about four months ago. I had a three year old Corolla that CarMax was offering me more than I paid for it. The Subaru Forester model I was looking at was not in real short supply back then so I was about to get it for well below MSRP and 0% financing, even though I was planning to pay cash.
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:00 pm right now I have been looking at some Acura SUVs either MDX or RDX. This dumb chip shortage thing is killing my buying vibe. The sales guy told me they are getting $5k-$10k OVER STICKER right now as it is a hot model and demand is high.

To get a decent deal now you need to be flexible about which car model you buy to find one where there is a decent supply. It looks like the supply of Foresters has tighten up some since I bought mine but the dealership where I bought my Forester looks like it has a good supply of Outback's and Ascends with about 25 of each model but I do not know what they are selling them for.
Topic Author
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

MortgageOnBlack wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:31 pm I'm in the exact same boat. Still driving my 91 Honda Civic. I refuse to pay over MSRP, I'd rather walk and take public transportation :x
My concern is it will never "cool off" as Dealer's may catch on that moving less cars is just as profitable. The market may become more built to order. Perhaps enough resistance to this game may reverse it but I would not count on it with America's "I want it today" attitude.

4Runners are going for 5-7K over MSRP in my area. There is no stock on Corolla's etc...

An idea if you're up for a vacation/roadtrip. Find exactly what you want nationally at the best price and drive it back home.
I hear you but I have trouble believing the auto industry will really discipline itself enough to keep minimal inventory at all the dealers. Who knows I guess. The OEM is the one who decides how many cars to build, and while I'm sure they want a profitable dealer network, I think they would rather pump more units out of the factory and get them out to the lots if they can. They don't directly profit if dealers are scamming customers with their $10K "local market adjustment" BS.

Perhaps like toilet paper and housing, some people are willing to panic buy for a new car and pay more than sticker price. I just....cannot....do.....it..... As I tell my kids, it would be like going into Walgreens on a hot day and getting a 99 cent Arizona iced tea out of the case, and then the cashier says "that will be $2.99" and I'm like "it is 99 cents, says right here" and he says "yeah but it is really hot outside and you look like you are really thirsty so I say the price is now $2.99!!!" fuggggedddaboutitttt.....
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I ordered a 2021 Forester about a month ago, am told it will be another 6-8 weeks. 2K under MSRP and no cost to cancel. Seems to be the way to go right now.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We bought a new car at the end of May when folks already said prices were high. We found that folks were mistaken. I think the dealers have pumped up expectations for everyone to pay more. Who do you think that is good for?

Here is a thread from June discussing Acuras in particular:
viewtopic.php?t=349395

It seems a mixed message nowadays.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TOM1964

Post by TOM1964 »

I just paid MSRP for a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime. Never paid MSRP before for anything I drove, car or motorcycle, but even with this richly priced car, I paid a deposit in mid-February and got the car at the very end of July. 5 and a half months. I would have waited longer, but would not have paid a dime more.

Get what you want if you can afford it. New cars are lots of fun, and fun is why we are on this planet. Don’t let some Bogleheads lay a guilt trip on you. [Offensive comment removed by Moderator Misenplace.]
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I bought a new 2021 Lexus RX350 for $4K under sticker end of May.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I am always car shopping. What I find most interesting is that dealerships that wouldn't think of putting a 100+K mile car on their lot, now have tons of them, even some with 200K miles.

All for more than 10K.

Crazy times! Just trying to baby along my 16 year old car for another couple of years.

With that said, there are still tons of people buying new cars. The number of temp plates I see driving around is pretty insane.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Besides the general market conditions that created the shortage (customers cancelling orders or even forcing Force Majeure to reject non-cancellable orders), then the instant demand.....Japanese cars likely are very tied to Renesas, who is a Japanese chip company (used to be called Hitachi) and they had a fab fire early in the year. Even if they were on track to be back on line now, they have to have a huge backlog. They are not just in cars and likely looking at business like all chip companies are now, and low margin automotive customers don't have much leverage at the moment.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

10 years doesn't seem that old. Mine was just getting broken in at 10 years. I have the coffee stains just where I want them now.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Prices will come down when chip supplies outnumber sales. My guess is 6 months or so minimum. People seem to be impulse buying whatever is left on the local lots. Local dealers who normally have 500+ cars and trucks in stock have 50ish right now and generally only models at the highest trim levels.
Topic Author
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

yeah I originally used to believe "it is always better to buy a 2-3 year old good used car like a Toyota or Honda" and then I decided that with Hondas at least, the 2-3 year old used cars held their value to the point that if you wanted to really negotiate hard with dealers, you could get a brand new car for only 10-15% more than that 2-3 year old used car with 20K miles on it and someone else's foot on the pedal for 2-3 years. So I bought new for the past 5 cars.

Maybe that relationship will be different at the moment though.

Anyway I CAN keep on keeping on with my current cars until things find a better equilibrium. I am just starting to get to that point especially on the 11 yr old minivan where I am starting to do that rationalization calculation of "you are probably going to live for X more decades, and you tend to keep your cars for 7-12 yrs at a time, so you only have so many "new cars" left to buy in life, so what is the big deal if you don't get the 100% optimal deal but get to enjoy a new car for the next year rather than waiting waiting waiting"
TJat

Post by TJat »

Chip and auto manufacturers suggest that new manufacturing will start to recover in Q4 with inventories taking until mid 22 to recovery. Prices might be permanently 5% higher. Used car prices are starting to turn and should fall through q1 22.

I’d wait until next year if you can
Topic Author
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

TOM1964 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:55 pm I just paid MSRP for a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime. Never paid MSRP before for anything I drove, car or motorcycle, but even with this richly priced car, I paid a deposit in mid-February and got the car at the very end of July. 5 and a half months. I would have waited longer, but would not have paid a dime more.

Get what you want if you can afford it. New cars are lots of fun, and fun is why we are on this planet. Don’t let some Bogleheads lay a guilt trip on you. [Offensive comment removed by Moderator Misenplace.]
Best post of this thread so far haha!

Yeah the funny thing with me personally is while I may have plenty of money, I get huge personal satisfaction from finding "THE DEAL" on things. I can probably stomach paying MSRP if things persisted for a while and I really wanted the car, but I can't pay MORE than MSRP.
Samueul

Post by Samueul »

Paid MSRP on 2022 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum. First time in my life paying sticker for a vehicle.
student

Post by student »

As others have said, it depends on the model. I see many Buick models on sale. Even some Lexus models are on sale. If you are wondering, I am not buying a Lexus right now, just daydreaming.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:09 pm
TOM1964 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:55 pm I just paid MSRP for a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime. Never paid MSRP before for anything I drove, car or motorcycle, but even with this richly priced car, I paid a deposit in mid-February and got the car at the very end of July. 5 and a half months. I would have waited longer, but would not have paid a dime more.

Yeah the funny thing with me personally is while I may have plenty of money, I get huge personal satisfaction from finding "THE DEAL" on things. I can probably stomach paying MSRP if things persisted for a while and I really wanted the car, but I can't pay MORE than MSRP.
OP don’t over look there are often two transactions to the deal; buying a car abs selling a car. Maybe your satisfaction can come from selling.

As Tom said, fun is why we are on this planet (maybe not totally but we try to maximize it). To that end we ordered a new wakeboard boat that was just delivered. Paid far made than I would have ever anticipated pre-Covid; but the dealers gave me guaranteed price for my current boat and encouraged me to try to sell on my own while the new one was being built. We did, I got $4k less than I paid for that boat several years earlier.

Boats and cars aren’t similar, but I wonder if the trend we have seen in wakeboats for the past decade will occur in cars. Basically as new boats command higher prices the used boat market is dragged right up behind it. I know 2 people who sold 15 y/o boats this summer, that they bought used 10 & 12 years earlier, for $4500 and $6000 less than they paid. These boats are still getting insane values.

10 years ago there were 2-3 models that could command $100k. Now there are 10 models getting $250k…absurdity.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

I am not in the car business, but I am in the Covid business and my guess would be we are at least 2 years away from dealer lots packed with cars. I think dealers will try to keep prices up even when they get back to full stock, that will probably play out for a quarter or two before they give up and start moving inventory.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

The car market always “feels high”.

Wait for the next car market crash. 🤭🤔
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I'm happy that I bought a 2020 Rav 4 Hybrid in May 2020 just before the car buying experience went crazy. I'm good for the next 10 years or so.
Topic Author
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

DoubleComma wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:43 pm

OP don’t over look there are often two transactions to the deal; buying a car abs selling a car. Maybe your satisfaction can come from selling.

As Tom said, fun is why we are on this planet (maybe not totally but we try to maximize it). To that end we ordered a new wakeboard boat that was just delivered. Paid far made than I would have ever anticipated pre-Covid; but the dealers gave me guaranteed price for my current boat and encouraged me to try to sell on my own while the new one was being built. We did, I got $4k less than I paid for that boat several years earlier.

Boats and cars aren’t similar, but I wonder if the trend we have seen in wakeboats for the past decade will occur in cars. Basically as new boats command higher prices the used boat market is dragged right up behind it. I know 2 people who sold 15 y/o boats this summer, that they bought used 10 & 12 years earlier, for $4500 and $6000 less than they paid. These boats are still getting insane values.

10 years ago there were 2-3 models that could command $100k. Now there are 10 models getting $250k…absurdity.
awww mannnn

Now you are throwing water on my lifelong secret "crush" of buying a lakehouse and a ski boat to go with it haha. Always something I think I'd like to do, but weekends and kids' sports and other activities get in the way enough that I've held off for now. That is more than I would have guessed for a boat. I was thinking for $50K I'd get a nice one. Shows what I know haha

Maybe if a lot of these purchases were for "COVID retreats" then there will be an unwinding of all that in a few years when people get busy again and decide they can't afford the lakehouse and the boat. And then I will be there ready to pounce and get a "deal" Or maybe there will be a permanent shift in work from home and all those people will be living the dream while I am still watching and waiting
SR II

Post by SR II »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:49 pm I ordered a 2021 Forester about a month ago, am told it will be another 6-8 weeks. 2K under MSRP and no cost to cancel. Seems to be the way to go right now.
Took our 2019 Forester in for servicing last Friday and they only had a couple of new cars and a few more used cars on their "normally" full lot. I was shocked!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We have an order placed for a Ford Maverick at MSRP, not expecting it before the end of the year.

Interestingly, my neighbor is a CarMax sales manager who attempts to flip cars as a side hustle (from what I gather from his wife over the last 5.5yrs, very unsuccessfully). Today he brought home a '98 911 Carrera 4s. He was bragging to my wife that he got it for $72k and thinks he'll be able to sell it for 6-figures. I'm no expert on air-cooled Porsches, but his history doesn't bode well for his family's finances on this one. Looks like a clean car though.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:23 pm We have an order placed for a Ford Maverick at MSRP, not expecting it before the end of the year.

Interestingly, my neighbor is a CarMax sales manager who attempts to flip cars as a side hustle (from what I gather from his wife over the last 5.5yrs, very unsuccessfully). Today he brought home a '98 911 Carrera 4s. He was bragging to my wife that he got it for $72k and thinks he'll be able to sell it for 6-figures. I'm no expert on air-cooled Porsches, but his history doesn't bode well for his family's finances on this one. Looks like a clean car though.
Widebody 993s (C2S and C4S) are selling well in to the six figures, even ones with high miles and accident histories. If he really got it for 72k, then he is going to make out like a bandit.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 pm
DoubleComma wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:43 pm

awww mannnn

Now you are throwing water on my lifelong secret "crush" of buying a lakehouse and a ski boat to go with it haha. Always something I think I'd like to do, but weekends and kids' sports and other activities get in the way enough that I've held off for now. That is more than I would have guessed for a boat. I was thinking for $50K I'd get a nice one. Shows what I know haha

Maybe if a lot of these purchases were for "COVID retreats" then there will be an unwinding of all that in a few years when people get busy again and decide they can't afford the lakehouse and the boat. And then I will be there ready to pounce and get a "deal" Or maybe there will be a permanent shift in work from home and all those people will be living the dream while I am still watching and waiting
Don’t get me wrong, you can absolutely get a really nice boat for $50k. There are even some new I/O runabouts in that range.

The insanity comes when you are looking at purpose built surf boats. Something about needing 400HP V drives that can take on 4000# of water ballast, more surf tabs than anyone can actually figure out and never go faster than 12 MPH 😉.

Even empty and running down the lake to your favorite cove you might break 40 MPH and burn $50 of fuel.

We landed on a very surf capable 22’ V drive with 350 HP, but are still wakeboarding 50% of the time.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I ordered a 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum about 2 weeks ago. Dealership had nothing on the lot and nothing I wanted in their current pipeline. They found it in another dealer’s “to be built soon” pipeline and did a dealership trade to get it for me. I had to pay full MSRP. I was happy with the trade in they gave me on my current vehicle. They tell me I should get the new car sometime in September. I too have never paid MSRP for a vehicle, but I wanted this one. So there you go.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

bogledogle wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:46 pm I am not in the car business, but I am in the Covid business and my guess would be we are at least 2 years away from dealer lots packed with cars. I think dealers will try to keep prices up even when they get back to full stock, that will probably play out for a quarter or two before they give up and start moving inventory.
That's about right. Even OPEC caved after a while.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:45 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:23 pm We have an order placed for a Ford Maverick at MSRP, not expecting it before the end of the year.

Widebody 993s (C2S and C4S) are selling well in to the six figures, even ones with high miles and accident histories. If he really got it for 72k, then he is going to make out like a bandit.
I just walked across the street to get a closer look, it's a C4(not S). Maybe he will make a bundle; I hope he does as it would begin to make up for all the money he has lost attempting to flip cars.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

Not a good time to buy a car, I would wait.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

Some care more about about getting a "deal", and some care more about driving new cars, regardless of buyer/seller market.

In this market, not replacing mine unless absolutely necessary.
teuton33

Post by teuton33 »

I bought a new BMW 3 series fairly loaded (m sport + premium packages) with sticker of 51.5 in June. I got it for 45k after negotiation + incentive.

I greatly prefer sedans to SUV. I think the market is significantly softer for sedans so you could give some sedans a look.
fposte

Post by fposte »

My 2003 Honda was struggling, so I was already looking around; when the A/C went I decided it was time. I went for a Prius and the dealer didn't have the lower-priced trim sizes on the lot. There was, however, a manufacturer's discount so I at least got some off of MSRP and paid close to what I had intended anyway. It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't a tragedy either, and I like the car and its working A/C.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Bought three since lockdown.

Ordered two relatively upscale cars and paid below sticker (sticker + available incentives) with no fuss in a major metro market.

On third, I got a very rare and sought after car, Negotiated to the lowest over sticker I could get in the country, paid it, flew to Vegas to pick it up, drove the car for a few months / 2,000 miles on a Route 66 road trip, and sold it for a profit when I got back home.

You only have to pay over sticker if you are buying off the lot.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
ram

Post by ram »

I tried to replace our 3rd car but chickened out when some dealers asked for up to 5K over MSRP.
Ram
Topic Author
Hogan773

Post by Hogan773 »

ram wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:29 pm I tried to replace our 3rd car but chickened out when some dealers asked for up to 5K over MSRP.
Yeah that certainly doesn't feel like the normal situation I like, where I feel like I can play dealers off each other to negotiate a bare bottom price. What is next, BIDDING WARS on a delivery slot for a certain car coming off the factory line in October? Am I buying a 787 delivery slot or am I buying a freakin car?
jetstayeat

Post by jetstayeat »

Just bought a new RDX about a month ago. Dealer had plenty of the premium models (Tech Package, A Spec) in stock but very few AWD base models. In any case, dealer tried to start the negotiation at $2K over MSRP. I laughed and got up from the chair to start walking out...They quickly adjusted their starting point to MSRP and not over MSRP.

FWIW, I live in a big market with quite a few Acura dealers.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:32 pm
ram wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:29 pm I tried to replace our 3rd car but chickened out when some dealers asked for up to 5K over MSRP.
Yeah that certainly doesn't feel like the normal situation I like, where I feel like I can play dealers off each other to negotiate a bare bottom price. What is next, BIDDING WARS on a delivery slot for a certain car coming off the factory line in October? Am I buying a 787 delivery slot or am I buying a freakin car?
Lotus will sell you a spot in line for the upcoming Emira for 2000 British pounds. No, the money isn't a deposit and won't go towards the purchase. The car won't be here for maybe a year or so.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I fear that the inflated prices will only be prolonged by all the buyers who are "waiting out" this market.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Hogan773 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:00 pm I have been eyeing getting a new car for past few years to replace one of ours which is now 10 yrs old. While I am always seemingly waiting to see what is about to come out, right now I have been looking at some Acura SUVs either MDX or RDX. This dumb chip shortage thing is killing my buying vibe. The sales guy told me they are getting $5k-$10k OVER STICKER right now as it is a hot model and demand is high. My Boglehead DNA will not allow me to pay MORE than sticker for a car. In fact, I have always prided myself on playing the negotiation game really hard to get a number right around INVOICE and not sticker.

Anyone in the business or in the know that has a sense of when new car inventories will come back to more normal? We talking later this fall or will it be a whole 'nother year? I know it WILL move back to normal markets and won't be this way forever.
It appears that the seller that you have been working with has identified you as a mark (a sucker).

I am currently in the process of purchasing new and multiple dealers are flocking to me to make a deal.

Phone calls, voicemails, emails, text messages. Constantly.

Best of luck.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Trader Joe wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:16 pm
Hogan773 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:00 pm I have been eyeing getting a new car for past few years to replace one of ours which is now 10 yrs old. While I am always seemingly waiting to see what is about to come out, right now I have been looking at some Acura SUVs either MDX or RDX. This dumb chip shortage thing is killing my buying vibe. The sales guy told me they are getting $5k-$10k OVER STICKER right now as it is a hot model and demand is high. My Boglehead DNA will not allow me to pay MORE than sticker for a car. In fact, I have always prided myself on playing the negotiation game really hard to get a number right around INVOICE and not sticker.

It appears that the seller that you have been working with has identified you as a mark (a sucker).

I am currently in the process of purchasing new and multiple dealers are flocking to me to make a deal.

Phone calls, voicemails, emails, text messages. Constantly.

Best of luck.
You're having this experience with the same make/model of new vehicle the OP is interested in buying?
thirdman

Post by thirdman »

Buy a Tesla. No dealer, no dickering. :happy
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I checked my local Mazda dealer's internet sales site and saw the model I wanted (CX5 AWD Signature Turbo) at $1700 below MSRP. I got another $1000 off by asking for one of their so-called "loyalty incentives." The car was in stock but I had a real battle with the "sales manager." I rejected the maintenance contract even when the price was lowered from $3500 to $1500. My shut'em up argument was that I was self-insured and had money in the bank. The dealer never loses however as add-on items such as GPS anti-theft device, door edge guards, cup holder guards, all weather mats and nitrogen gas in tires are in the MSRP price. I bought this car in April, 2021 with no trade-in.

The Mazda CX5 has been highly recommended in a previous BH post. It replaces my Acura RDX which cost $8,000 more bought at MSRP and a $3000 maintenance contract.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

jebmke wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:59 pm 10 years doesn't seem that old. Mine was just getting broken in at 10 years. I have the coffee stains just where I want them now.
Give it time the coffee stains will fade :D
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

hi_there wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:05 pm I fear that the inflated prices will only be prolonged by all the buyers who are "waiting out" this market.
It most definitely will. Normal inventory won't immediately return once chip industry normalizes. There will be a lag.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

yes, because my trade in was much higher than the increase price I had to pay on a new vehicle.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Yes, I just got a sweet 2021 BMW Z4 convertible. They had one on the ship that was on its way to Japan, and I grabbed it, knowing that waiting a month might mean waiting a year. I couldn't be happier with it.
onourway

Post by onourway »

If you’ll be selling your current vehicle, you may just want to get over your aversion to paying msrp and buy what you want. The inflated price you’ll get in trade or private sale will likely make up most of the difference vs. ‘normal’ times.