Home Depot appliance installation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Home Depot appliance installation

Post by Nyc10036 »

Our over-the-range microwave oven bit the dust.
We have been using a countertop one.

I am not the least bit handy and I am looking at buying one online from HomeDepot.com and having them install it.

Has anyone done something similar and can explain the process?
Kenkat

Re: Home Depot appliance installation

Post by Kenkat »

You can select installation when you check out. They will arrange installation as part of your order. More details can be found here:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/Appliance_D ... stallation
stan1

Post by stan1 »

You measure it to make sure it fits in the space. Maybe find a friend or relative to help if you aren't comfortable doing this. If there's a built in vent you'll need to match the size of the vent. Helpful if you still have the manual for the old microwave. If you take the old manual into the store someone will help you find a good replacement. You buy it. You tell them you want installation. Someone calls you to set up an appointment. They may charge extra to haul away the old appliance. If it doesn't fit you return it and start over.
Bogle7

Buy Smarter

Post by Bogle7 »

Home Depot subs out installation.
Buy from a local appliance store that has their own crew.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Compare between Lowes and HD. Just select install when checking out. This is very simple job to farm out, I wouldn't sweat it.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Ancient microwaves that bit the dust rarely (as in never) are the same size (width, height, depth) as new ones. While I was away my family's microwave died and they just bought a countertop one that in no way resembled the size of the built-in one. When I looked, there is no microwave made anymore that will nicely fit in the space above the oven to replace the old one. It will take a custom carpentry job to get anything that will match what was there.

That is, a "Home Depot" installation is probably not going to be what you want unless you are quite handy about measuring and get lucky.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

OTR microwaves are a pain. Even among the same manufacturer there is no standardization over the U bracket in the back and more importantly the hole positions on top so you have to keep drilling new holes in your top cabinets every time you get a new one until they look like swiss cheese. I installed the last one myself so can't comment on installation.
abner kravitz

Re: Buy Smarter

Post by abner kravitz »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:09 pm Home Depot subs out installation.
+1, if they have the product. Wait times have been horrific at my go-to store.
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

stan1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 pm You measure it to make sure it fits in the space. Maybe find a friend or relative to help if you aren't comfortable doing this. If there's a built in vent you'll need to match the size of the vent. Helpful if you still have the manual for the old microwave. If you take the old manual into the store someone will help you find a good replacement. You buy it. You tell them you want installation. Someone calls you to set up an appointment. They may charge extra to haul away the old appliance. If it doesn't fit you return it and start over.
The current microwave oven is a GE.
The new one I am considering purchasing is also a GE.
I asked on HomeDepot.com and the GE person who answered assured me that all their OTR microwaves are compatible.
I am buying another GE just to increase the chance that new one will fit better.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:46 pm Our over-the-range microwave oven bit the dust.

I am not the least bit handy and I am looking at buying one online from HomeDepot.com and having them install it.

Just had a refrigerator installed in the kitchen (third floor condo) from Best Buy. Priced Home Depot, Lowes, and Brands Mart in our area. Brands Mart had the lowest price on a "for members" deal by nearly $700 so we walked into Best Buy and told them to price match, deliver, install and haul away the old. Put it on my Best Buy card and got another $120 in coupons and bought my wife a gimbal with it for her video cell shoots. They were in at 8:30 AM and gone by 9:15 AM. Could not have been easier.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

+1

In my previous dealings with this, there was a lot of finger pointing about problems. I will gladly pay a little more to have my local store do everything (sell it to me, delivery and setup and service).
Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

midareff wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:12 pm
Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:46 pm Our over-the-range microwave oven bit the dust.

Just had a refrigerator installed in the kitchen (third floor condo) from Best Buy. Priced Home Depot, Lowes, and Brands Mart in our area. Brands Mart had the lowest price on a "for members" deal by nearly $700 so we walked into Best Buy and told them to price match, deliver, install and haul away the old. Put it on my Best Buy card and got another $120 in coupons and bought my wife a gimbal with it for her video cell shoots. They were in at 8:30 AM and gone by 9:15 AM. Could not have been easier.
Were you able to find the same exact model of refrigerator at all four stores?
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

We've used both HD and Lowes... HD for water heater (twice), Lowes for appliance (once), and local appliance(once). Never encountered an issue with any of them, nor a delay in service. The only waiting time was availability of the appliance, not the install.
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

Do you tip the installers? and if so, how much? And does it depend on how smooth or complicated the actual install was?
ie. say the installer comes in with a new washer or a new dishwasher, installs it and hauls away the old one, all done in 20-30min. HD already has a installation and haul-away fee that we would have paid.
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:52 pm
stan1 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 pm You measure it to make sure it fits in the space. Maybe find a friend or relative to help if you aren't comfortable doing this. If there's a built in vent you'll need to match the size of the vent. Helpful if you still have the manual for the old microwave. If you take the old manual into the store someone will help you find a good replacement. You buy it. You tell them you want installation. Someone calls you to set up an appointment. They may charge extra to haul away the old appliance. If it doesn't fit you return it and start over.
The current microwave oven is a GE.
The new one I am considering purchasing is also a GE.
I asked on HomeDepot.com and the GE person who answered assured me that all their OTR microwaves are compatible.
I am buying another GE just to increase the chance that new one will fit better.
The chances are very high that it will fit right in. My original one was a GE - there had not been a Micro there, so I had to run power, which made it quite a job, along with the fact that I had never installed one. That micro lasted about 8 years and bit the dust while I had a houseful of guests. Went to Best Buy, bought an open box that did not have any mounting hardware, but was also a GE. That one fit perfectly - used the same mounting bracket, and the same holes in the upper cabinet as the previous on. Took two of us about 5-7 minutes to remove the old one and put the new one in as it was just loosen the screws while someone held it, unplug it, and lift it out, then do the revers with the new one. That new one has lasted about 15 years and is still going strong.
I recently installed an OTR micro at a friends. It was a new GE and installed exactly like my original GE.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:22 pm
midareff wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:12 pm

Were you able to find the same exact model of refrigerator at all four stores?
Yes... seems like a popular model. Samsung 22.6 cu ft counter depth black stainless French style 3 door.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:46 pm I am looking at buying one online from HomeDepot.com and having them install it.
As mentioned above a couple times, go to an appliance store instead where they have their own crew. Big Box Stores sub their installations out to contractors who aren't busy and do things cheaply. In a time where contractors are hard to get, this means one of two things:

A: The contractor is so terrible they can't get enough business to make ends meet or remain self sufficient.
B: The contractor is just starting out and doing these sorts of job to gain experience until they can move on to more lucrative jobs.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

It's a simple process, one that most any handyman can do unless you have an unusual situation. Probably not an issue with a minor install such as this. However, HD uses contractors and farms out such things, possibly at higher cost. The comment is based on a friend who recently had gutters replaced. HD gave a price of $6,300, he obtained a local firm for just under $3,000 which included a gutter an inch wider and who charged only a small amount for more rotten wood replacement found during installation than the contract with HD would have required.

Tim
grok87

Post by grok87 »

could not agree more
https://www.nj.com/news/2020/12/couple- ... -says.html
RIP Mr. Bogle.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Have you checked to see if the microwave is on a dedicated circuit which has tripped? Perhaps it has not actually bitten the dust.

If it is not on a dedicated circuit, you should consider having on installed at this time. I don't think that Home Depot will do that kind of work.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Our experience: Our local guy is more reliable, does a better job and is ready and able to help us out on shorter notice.
Comes out, measures orders himself (gets stuff a bit cheaper somehow) and guarantees it will fit and work or comes back for free.
Go local.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

Would take too long to go into all of the details, but I'd be very wary of using the Lowe's or Home Depot services since they hire a 3rd party to do the work and you don't know the quality of their work. I used Lowe's to install a new toilet and it was a nightmare that took about 2 months (and many emails/phone calls) to resolve.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We purchased a stove and over the stove venting microwave thru Costco replacing existing appliances. With the added warranty and included haul away and installation we couldn't have been happier.
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

A HD installer told me he "did not know" how to install their over-the-range hood.
Ended up doing the install myself. This is the extent of my experience with using their installer as I never bothered again.