Wimbledon 2022 - Tips

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jaydub71

Wimbledon 2022 - Tips

Post by jaydub71 »

Our family takes, for us, a big trip every 3 to 5 years. Our son is a big tennis fan and is graduating HS next year. I was thinking that big trip to London for Wimbledon would be a great experience. Any tips on where and how to get tickets?

I am also looking for recommendations for where/how to stay. We would either need to get two hotel rooms or rent a VRBO of some sort. A vacation rental company work work as well (we had a great experience in Spain few years ago). I have not had good experience with AirBNB in the past. Any recommendations would for this would be welcomed as well!
kaudrey

Re: Wimbledon 2022 - Tips

Post by kaudrey »

You have to enter the ballot to get tickets the "regular" way.

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/tickets ... allot.html

Otherwise, you'll end up having to buy a package through a "hospitality provider". You can also try to buy tickets on the day of the event, or online the day before - do a quick Google search for "Wimbledon 2022".

We used vbro.com in Dublin a few years ago and loved the apartment we rented.
PSM

Post by PSM »

My wife and went to Wimbledon in 1993 and 2005, on two days each trip. The only time we had advance tickets was through the ticket lottery ballot for one of the days in 2005…which ended up being Center Court tickets for matches of Roger Federer and Andy Murray. However, the other days we showed up and waited in the long line to get a grounds pass. A grounds pass is great too, especially since the first 4 days of the tournament, there are top matches going on all over the place. By the second week, most of the singles matches are in Center Court and Court One (tickets). There are still doubles matches and junior matches on the outside courts. So….if you enter the ticket ballot following all their instructions, you may know in the spring whether you will have reserved seats. You could also take the trip knowing that if you are willing to get up early enough and get over to the line, you can still get in for a grounds pass.
golf101

Post by golf101 »

I went 10 years ago, so things could have changed. My cousin and I stayed in London and took the train to Wimbledon on opening day. We waited in the same day ticket line (I would say we got there 2 hours early) and we ended up with tickets to No. 2 court. That gave us access to that stadium along with all the smaller venues for the day. At that time, they also had a great feature, that as people in other stadiums (ie Centre Court) left for the day, they would turn their tickets in. They would then get resold for $10 (I think) to those already on the grounds. It had started to rain so all the other courts couldn't play, so we waited in line and were able to secure Centre Court tickets for the rest of the day. We had an amazing time. Well worth going.
Topic Author
jaydub71

Post by jaydub71 »

Thank you everyone for your insight!
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

I'd recommend at least checking out the smaller outer courts. Everyone can play, and you can be a lot closer.