Plan to change the way you tip when the minimum wage goes to $15 per hour?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ependytis

Plan to change the way you tip when the minimum wage goes to $15 per hour?

Post by Ependytis »

Where we live, next year the minimum wage is going up to $15 per hour for employers with more than 26 employees. This is considered a livable wage in some areas. Does anyone plan to change the way they tip? I mostly tip restaurants where my standard tip is 15% for decent service. What I don’t tip for is when I have to pick up the food, and get my own utensils, water, and napkin.

My SO is a general manager of a golf club. The golf club includes a restaurant. At the restaurant, one of the waiters has a masters degree. He works as a waiter because he makes six figures and doesn’t have any pressure. I can’t help but wonder if some people are under employed because of the tips they get. By the way, the restaurant is not very expensive maybe $15 per entree and is a great value.
Last edited by Ependytis on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Californiastate

Re: Plan to change the way you tip when the minimum wage goes to $15 per hour?

Post by Californiastate »

18% percent if they did their job. 99% qualify. 20% or more if they went over and beyond the call of duty. Their wage has nothing to do with it.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Here we go again…
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

No I don't plan to change the way I tip unless the restaurant has a no gratuity policy.. I can afford to tip.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Will your local minimum wage include tipped employees? The federal one does not.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I plan to stop tipping all the waiters I can verify make over 100k. The rest I plan to continue tipping generously.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

prd1982 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:33 pm I plan to stop tipping all the waiters I can verify make over 100k. The rest I plan to continue tipping generously.
Haha. Yeah. Me too.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

sailaway wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:31 pm Will your local minimum wage include tipped employees? The federal one does not.
The minimum wage for tipped employees where I live is currently $14 per hour. This will go up to $15 per hour next year.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

No plan to change, but of course, this response is meaningless. We only find ourselves in a tipping situation 6-7 times per year. We simply don't eat out.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Agree that you must know what jobs are included. In the past, it was not uncommon for wait staff to be paid much less than minimum wage because they were expected to make it up in tips.
yohac

Post by yohac »

I doubt anyone will change because that would be a rational response, and the tipping mindset has nothing to do with rationality.
desconhecido

Post by desconhecido »

Ependytis wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:39 pm
sailaway wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:31 pm Will your local minimum wage include tipped employees? The federal one does not.
The minimum wage for tipped employees where I live is currently $14 per hour. This will go up to $15 per hour next year.
My plan is to withhold the tip percentage from the extra dollar. So, when I would normally tip $25, I'll reduce the amount to $24.80. That will show them. Also, I'm going to start demanding that the prove they don't have advanced degrees in a STEM subject or I'll drop the tip a whole quarter.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

That extra dollar an hour is unlikely to even keep up with inflation. So no, I would feel like a cheap jerk if I cut their tips because they’re bringing home an extra $30 or so per week.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Ependytis wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:24 pm Where we live, next year the minimum wage is going up to $15 per hour for employers with more than 26 employees. This is considered a livable wage in some areas. Does anyone plan to change the way they tip? I mostly tip restaurants where my standard tip is 15% for decent service. What I don’t tip for is when I have to pick up the food, and get my own utensils, water, and napkin.

My SO is a general manager of a golf club. The golf club includes a restaurant. At the restaurant, one of the waiters has a masters degree. He works as a waiter because he makes six figures and doesn’t have any pressure. I can’t help but wonder if some people are under employed because of the tips they get. By the way, the restaurant is not very expensive maybe $15 per entree and is a great value.
We don't eat out that often... so whether we change our tipping habit, it doesn't matter much. We'll keep doing what we're doing: tip 5%-20% based on the service that we receive at the dine-in restaurant.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

desconhecido wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:51 pm My plan is to withhold the tip percentage from the extra dollar. So, when I would normally tip $25, I'll reduce the amount to $24.80. That will show them. Also, I'm going to start demanding that the prove they don't have advanced degrees in a STEM subject or I'll drop the tip a whole quarter.
If my dividends go down, I'll cut back because interest rates have nowhere to go but up so why bonds?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Intrepyd

Post by Intrepyd »

No. Please keep tipping service workers.
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Ependytis wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:24 pm My SO is a general manager of a golf club. The golf club includes a restaurant. At the restaurant, one of the waiters has a masters degree. He works as a waiter because he makes six figures and doesn’t have any pressure. I can’t help but wonder if some people are under employed because of the tips they get. By the way, the restaurant is not very expensive maybe $15 per entree and is a great value.
With all due respect, I can't help but wonder if it's ethical for a manager to be gossiping about an employee's pay. I wouldn't be too thrilled if my boss were doing that to me (it's one thing for me to disclose to other people, but it's not for my boss to disclose).

Regardless, it sounds like this person has a job they enjoy and are good at.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.