Android Forums to solve problems?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
international001

Android Forums to solve problems?

Post by international001 »

I'm trying to install some apps (like youtube) in an old 4.0.4 Android tablet
What is a good forum to get some type of support. Google AI just merge my thread with another thread (incorrectly). I tried to subscribe to Android Central, but it seems their user management is broken and I never get an authentication email.
PineappleGoesOnPizza

Re: Android Forums to solve problems?

Post by PineappleGoesOnPizza »

The 4.0 line of Android is almost a decade old and I'd be surprised if Youtube supports it at all, honestly. You might be able to install the F-Droid alternative store and get NewPipe (alternative Youtube app) running though. Official Google apps... maybe less so.

I'm no longer an Android guy, but when I was, the best place I've found for straying off the beaten path was the XDA Developers forum.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

howardforums
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

international001 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:30 pm I'm trying to install some apps (like youtube) in an old 4.0.4 Android tablet.
In a word, fergetaboutit, it's a antique! Move on.
Topic Author
international001

bob60014 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:52 pm
international001 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:30 pm I'm trying to install some apps (like youtube) in an old 4.0.4 Android tablet.
In a word, fergetaboutit, it's a antique! Move on.
From other posts, it's possible. I need to get the right Google Play Services, but it seems I'm having problems with that one.
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

international001 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:04 pm From other posts, it's possible. I need to get the right Google Play Services, but it seems I'm having problems with that one.
I'm sure it's possible, but the number of people who could figure out the answer that would actually want to must be astronomically low. I thought I'd be able to help you, but troubleshooting an Android 4.0 tablet just isn't worth the trouble. It isn't old enough to have the antique cool factor, and it's too old to be cost effective to fix.

Unless you have a specific reason, the most cost effective Android tablet right now is probably the latest Amazon Fire 2021 tablet. Get it on sale for black Friday or Prime day prices of about $90, then hack it to run vanilla Android so it doesn't have the Amazon bloatware. I can't stand FireOS, but the hardware is good for the price and you can always wipe it. I'm guessing you're in the budget tablet category if you're trying to fix a 10+ year old tablet.
Topic Author
international001

Gadget wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:15 pm
international001 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:04 pm From other posts, it's possible. I need to get the right Google Play Services, but it seems I'm having problems with that one.
I'm sure it's possible, but the number of people who could figure out the answer that would actually want to must be astronomically low. I thought I'd be able to help you, but troubleshooting an Android 4.0 tablet just isn't worth the trouble. It isn't old enough to have the antique cool factor, and it's too old to be cost effective to fix.

Unless you have a specific reason, the most cost effective Android tablet right now is probably the latest Amazon Fire 2021 tablet. Get it on sale for black Friday or Prime day prices of about $90, then hack it to run vanilla Android so it doesn't have the Amazon bloatware. I can't stand FireOS, but the hardware is good for the price and you can always wipe it. I'm guessing you're in the budget tablet category if you're trying to fix a 10+ year old tablet.
Actually, I was just trying to be cool and get some pride fixing it ;-)
Topic Author
international001

runner3081 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:41 pm howardforums
I created an account. How do you create a post. For the life of me, I cannot see an option. Do I need something special?