Tesla Model Y Ride + Quality

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC

Tesla Model Y Ride + Quality

Post by RJC »

Dear friends,

I'm in the market for a Tesla Model Y and was wondering:
1. What is the ride quality like? I've heard from harsh to sporty. Does the size of the wheels matter (19 vs 20")?
2. Has the build quality improved over the past year?
3. What was the impact on your car insurance?

I'd like to pull the trigger in the next few months. Thanks in advance.
anon_investor

Re: Tesla Model Y Ride + Quality

Post by anon_investor »

RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 am Dear friends,

1. What is the ride quality like? I've heard from harsh to sporty. Does the size of the wheels matter (19 vs 20")?

Is there no way to test drive one?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:53 am

I am planning to test drive; however, I know a single drive will not give me a great idea (mapped vs real-world). How does driving in the city compare with country roads? Does the suspension soften over time? What about adjusting tire pressure? Some say the tire quality is different between the 19 and 20".
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My model X has much smoother ride on 19” vs 20” tires. I’m a little old to consider the “look” of high vs low profile tires, and I personally think an SUV/CUV looks natural with a beefier tire.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:07 am My model X has much smoother ride on 19” vs 20” tires. I’m a little old to consider the “look” of high vs low profile tires, and I personally think an SUV/CUV looks natural with a beefier tire.
Same. I'd rather have a better ride than big wheels. Did your insurance shoot up after getting the Model X?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

It’s very true for the Model 3, so I’d expect the same for the Model Y. I personally went with the base 18” wheels on the Model 3, but I don’t think that’s an option for the Model Y.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:18 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:07 am My model X has much smoother ride on 19” vs 20” tires. I’m a little old to consider the “look” of high vs low profile tires, and I personally think an SUV/CUV looks natural with a beefier tire.
Same. I'd rather have a better ride than big wheels. Did your insurance shoot up after getting the Model X?
Tbh, I don’t remember, but I think it was if anything a reduction (we insured 4 cars at the time so not so easy to tell). We lived in a very high car theft location (near Newark, NJ) and my broker told me that Teslas aren’t stolen because they can be easily located and disabled remotely.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Normchad wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:46 am It’s very true for the Model 3, so I’d expect the same for the Model Y. I personally went with the base 18” wheels on the Model 3, but I don’t think that’s an option for the Model Y.
I may consider the Model 3 if the ride on the Y is too stiff.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

The ride of both model 3 and Y is bone jarring. Very harsh. That does not seem to bother Tesla fans who like the great handling and acceleration are not put off by it. But if a comfortable ride is your thing you will not be happy. I think it is one reason that they are good short haul commuters, where you have the advantage of home charging and the ride is ok for the short time you are in the car.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Snapper wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:34 am The ride of both model 3 and Y is bone jarring. Very harsh. That does not seem to bother Tesla fans who like the great handling and acceleration are not put off by it. But if a comfortable ride is your thing you will not be happy. I think it is one reason that they are good short haul commuters, where you have the advantage of home charging and the ride is ok for the short time you are in the car.
Is it harsh coming from a 3-4 series BMW? I appreciate a tight suspension in sporty cars but some say it’s too firm.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

Snapper wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:34 am The ride of both model 3 and Y is bone jarring. Very harsh. That does not seem to bother Tesla fans who like the great handling and acceleration are not put off by it. But if a comfortable ride is your thing you will not be happy. I think it is one reason that they are good short haul commuters, where you have the advantage of home charging and the ride is ok for the short time you are in the car.
Are you speaking from experience?

OP, I would suggest you make your way over to Tesla Motors Club forum and look through the posts there in the Model Y sub forum. You will have a much easier time finding what you are looking for in regards to the Model Y then you would here.
jgdsss

Post by jgdsss »

I just purchased one after hemming and hawing about the ride quality. I got the non-performance one with 19” wheels. I really was undecided and even did an overnight test drive. I decided to go for it and am very happy with the car. It’s NOT the ride quality (soft, plush) of a Buick or a Lincoln, so don’t think it will be. If that’s your most important thing, then you’ll need to consider another car. But it’s very fun to drive, pretty sporty, etc. I did not buy it for ride quality, I bought it for technology, electric, the fun pickup it has. I live in the burbs with relatively smooth streets.
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

I have the Model Y. Test drove the Performance with larger wheels but agree the ride was very stiff. I chose the Long Range with smaller wheels, more tire sidewall, and the ride is better, but I still think the suspension could be softer. Others are fine with it. Love the car, but the stiff suspension to support the heavy battery pack is one of the few drawbacks of EVs. The safety, the acceleration, the zero emissions, the mechanical simplicity, the software, the “American made” manufacturing, the handling, the quiet, and the cost savings in gas and oil are among the advantages. A few owners buy after-market suspension kits but I don’t think that expense is necessary.
aqan

Post by aqan »

“Bone jarring”?? I just got the model Y with bigger induction wheels. It rides stiff but I would not call it bone jarring by any means. Which one do you own?
aqan

Post by aqan »

Be sure to test drive the trim you are interested in. They generally give you the Performance to test drive. Which will blow you away. But again, if you’re going to buy LR then you want to feel the LR not performance.
fastrak99

Post by fastrak99 »

Wife and I were shopping for a midsize crossover and gave the model Y some thought. We took the car out for around an hour and here is what we came away with. Perhaps a longer drive would of given us more insight , but I felt like in this car it told us all we needed to know to cross it off our list.

Even though there are some pros to the platform and the car - we both came away unimpressed with what is offered for the pricetag and our needs.

Here are the main criticisms without getting too far into it -

1. For the category of car (small-midsize SUV) - the car rides unbelievably stiff. I have owned numerous sports sedans and sports cars in the last 20 years and this was BY FAR had the harshest ride of them all. As we are expecting to have a child or two in the backseat of this car - and this being a potential road trip car, the ride quality was absolutely unacceptable. Youtubers document suspension swaps to make the ride better (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHr6p6NoEtM)

2. Tesla does NOT offer a way to turn off regenerative braking on the model Y. Other models of Tesla offer that, it was dropped on here (see: https://insideevs.com/news/451393/tesla ... djustment/).

3. BASIC safety and technology features we got accustomed to in our other premium-luxury cars are not present and are not an option. Example - heads up display, blind spot mirror indicators (it shows up on the screen instead), OR 360 camera. For a car / company that is dubbed with so much 'technology' - that was unacceptable to us for 60K. Another quirk is that there are no garage opener buttons to be programmed in the car.

4. The blind spots out the back are BAD

5. Interior build quality is so-so.

6. Interior noise insulation is not as great as similar category of cars. Maybe it's because of how quiet this sits at red lights, but traffic noise was significantly more intrusive on here then any other premium cars we owned.

This and several other factors were strong enough deterrents to look elsewhere for a premium SUV. We tried to like the model Y, we really did but at this time it was definitely not what we expected it to be and found a much better alternative ('better' for our needs).
Last edited by fastrak99 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

jgdsss wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:27 am I just purchased one after hemming and hawing about the ride quality. I got the non-performance one with 19” wheels. I really was undecided and even did an overnight test drive. I decided to go for it and am very happy with the car. It’s NOT the ride quality (soft, plush) of a Buick or a Lincoln, so don’t think it will be. If that’s your most important thing, then you’ll need to consider another car. But it’s very fun to drive, pretty sporty, etc. I did not buy it for ride quality, I bought it for technology, electric, the fun pickup it has. I live in the burbs with relatively smooth streets.
I'm coming from a BMW 3-4 series so hopefully similar? Not expecting a smooth ride but some have returned it due to harshness which is concerning...
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

aqan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:02 pm

Be sure to test drive the trim you are interested in. They generally give you the Performance to test drive. Which will blow you away. But again, if you’re going to buy LR then you want to feel the LR not performance.
What has your experience been like in cities? The induction wheels look so nice but I wonder if they are practical (flats, potholes, road rash, etc.).
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

We goy our MY last August, my older BMW 530i have better, more quiet & smoother ride.
The AC is way too weak when we were at Austin, Texas, the fan and cool air couldn't keep up with the 99 degree heat. We have to try park under tress and cool the interior 5 minutes before we get in.
The car is great at passing on the highway.
The mileage is terrible for long cross country trips, too many stops of 20 to 60 minutes long charges.
I feel the car is in beta, not really ready for prime time maybe in couple of more year it would be better.
CAinGA

Post by CAinGA »

RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:01 am

I am planning to test drive; however, I know a single drive will not give me a great idea (mapped vs real-world). How does driving in the city compare with country roads? Does the suspension soften over time? What about adjusting tire pressure? Some say the tire quality is different between the 19 and 20".
We got a Model Y in December. I like it - my biggest complaint is visibility out the back isn't great.

Before deciding to make the purchase, we rented one for a long weekend road trip on the app, "Turo." We basically rented one from an individual who had purchased one and was renting it out for extra income. Renting it for a few days allowed us to see what it was like using the charging network, as well as what the overall ride was like. It helped us make the final decision to purchase.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

fastrak99 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:06 pm Wife and I were shopping for a midsize crossover and gave the model Y some thought.

Even though there are some pros to the platform and the car - we both came away unimpressed with what is offered for the pricetag and our needs.

Here are the main criticisms without getting too far into it -

1. For the category of car (small-midsize SUV) - the car rides unbelievably stiff. I have owned numerous sports sedans and sports cars in the last 20 years and this was BY FAR had the harshest ride of them all. As we are expecting to have a child or two in the backseat of this car - and this being a potential road trip car, the ride quality was absolutely unacceptable. Youtubers document suspension swaps to make the ride better (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHr6p6NoEtM)

2. Tesla does NOT offer a way to turn off regenerative braking on the model Y. Other models of Tesla offer that, it was dropped on here (see: https://insideevs.com/news/451393/tesla ... djustment/).

3. BASIC safety and technology features we got accustomed to in our other premium-luxury cars are not present and are not an option. Example - heads up display, blind spot mirror indicators, OR 360 camera. For a car / company that is dubbed with so much 'technology' - that was unacceptable to us for 60K. Another quirk is that there are no garage opener buttons to be programmed in the car.

4. The blind spots out the back are BAD

5. Interior build quality is so-so.

6. Interior noise insulation is not as great as similar category of cars. Maybe it's because of how quiet this sits at red lights, but traffic noise was significantly more intrusive on here then any other premium cars we owned.

This and several other factors were strong enough deterrents to look elsewhere for a premium SUV. We tried to like the model Y, we really did but at this time it was definitely not what we expected it to be and found a much better alternative.
Tesla Model 3 owner and agree with some of your points, but would suggest that: (2) regen is one of the best features of an EV. It only takes a short time to understand how to feather the throttle. 3. The Display and blind sport indicators are there -- just in a different place (on the screen), but yes, not heads-up. 4. Blind spots are pretty bad on all aerodynamic cars. OTOH, 1) what some consider harsh or bone jarring, others consider sporty. (It gets a little better if you drop the tire pressure a few pounds. 6. yes, one of the noisier cars in its class, primarily due to the all glass roof and rimless windows. Plus, Elon is frugal on interior insulation.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

I got my Model 3 with the standard 18" wheels specifically to improve the ride. Didn't care for the hub caps that came with 18" wheels but oddly enough there are some nice wheels underneath those hub caps. All I had to do is order the Tesla center caps from Amazon. The 42 psi recommended tire pressure doesn't do much for the ride either. Lower it a bit for a better ride.
Also helped reading some posts on the Tesla forums about owners of performance wheels who went back to standard after they realized how easy and expensive it was to hit a pothole and bend your wheels.
Last edited by mpnret on Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

CAinGA wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 pm
RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:01 am

We got a Model Y in December. I like it - my biggest complaint is visibility out the back isn't great.

Before deciding to make the purchase, we rented one for a long weekend road trip on the app, "Turo." We basically rented one from an individual who had purchased one and was renting it out for extra income. Renting it for a few days allowed us to see what it was like using the charging network, as well as what the overall ride was like. It helped us make the final decision to purchase.
What size wheels did you get? The ride wasn't too stiff?
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

What PotatoPotahto said. I purchased the X with the big tires. Ignoring diminished battery life, the tires are not what I'll get in my next one.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

i have not driven it, but, i have been thinking about cars lately and can answer about the insurance prices.

if i log in at geico and do the self-service quote to change my car, holding all else equal, the model Y costs $100 per month more. the X5 would be about the same. in contrast, the lexus rx450h was $40 or 50.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

jgdsss wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:27 am I just purchased one after hemming and hawing about the ride quality. I got the non-performance one with 19” wheels. I really was undecided and even did an overnight test drive. I decided to go for it and am very happy with the car. It’s NOT the ride quality (soft, plush) of a Buick or a Lincoln, so don’t think it will be. If that’s your most important thing, then you’ll need to consider another car. But it’s very fun to drive, pretty sporty, etc. I did not buy it for ride quality, I bought it for technology, electric, the fun pickup it has. I live in the burbs with relatively smooth streets.
+1. This sums up Tesla cars perfectly.

My Lexus RX feels nice to travel in. Tesla is much more fun and tech is what every car maker should emulate.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I've owned my Model Y Standard Range for 3 months - 5000 miles now and can share some insights.
RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 am 1. What is the ride quality like? I've heard from harsh to sporty. Does the size of the wheels matter (19 vs 20")?
It was harsh when we test drove the Model Y with 20" wheels. We end up getting the 19" and it feels much better. It's now a non-issue.
RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 am 2. Has the build quality improved over the past year?
I had very minor issues. It does feel like Internet forums and FB groups tend to make the quality issues but in reality, I think there are many very happy customers out there. I didn't care much about the panel gaps but it is also because ours is blue which isn't as apparent as say white. I had a small tear in my headrest and an alignment issue which they resolved right away. I haven't had any issues since.
RJC wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 am 3. What was the impact on your car insurance?
We pay $58 / month in California for full coverage for our Model Y. This is through Wawanesa.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
squirm

Post by squirm »

How much is the extended warranty?
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

mpnret wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:01 pm I got my Model 3 with the standard 18" wheels specifically to improve the ride. Didn't care for the hub caps that came with 18" wheels but oddly enough there are some nice wheels underneath those hub caps. All I had to do is order the Tesla center caps from Amazon. The 42 psi recommended tire pressure doesn't do much for the ride either. Lower it a bit for a better ride.
Also helped reading some posts on the Tesla forums about owners of performance wheels who went back to standard after they realized how easy and expensive it was to hit a pothole and bend your wheels.
This is my concern as well. I'm sure it depends on what car you came from but it's still a family car/daily driver.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

I drove a performance Y with 21"s and was surprised at how compliant it was. It was a little harsher than my Model 3 with 18's.

If I was buying one for myself I would get the 20's for looks and the 19's for ride.

Smaller wheels will get better efficiency and be cheaper to replace. EVs are not nice on tires.
tdmp

Post by tdmp »

I would rent one on Turo … probably cost > $100 ; but you are going to spend close to $60k on a mid-size SUV; this way you can take rides for a prolonged period of time and also at different highway speed. This way you can judge the ride and the noise; and see if those are acceptable to you or not.
ankzap

Post by ankzap »

Be prepared for a long wait. Customer service is generally quite bad unless you get an exceptional SA. The estimated delivery dates will change twice a day, from as early as the next day to something 3 months out.

We have been waiting for our car since early April. They finally assigned a VIN last week, but the one day they could deliver or let us pick up, we were traveling. Now we wait another 3 months for our turn. Really makes me appreciate the dealership model.

If there is even a 1% chance that you want to buy the car, order it today. It costs $100, but puts you in line for the car. The price has been going up every other week, but you are locked in once you place an order.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

ankzap wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 am Be prepared for a long wait. Customer service is generally quite bad unless you get an exceptional SA. The estimated delivery dates will change twice a day, from as early as the next day to something 3 months out.

We have been waiting for our car since early April. They finally assigned a VIN last week, but the one day they could deliver or let us pick up, we were traveling. Now we wait another 3 months for our turn. Really makes me appreciate the dealership model.

If there is even a 1% chance that you want to buy the car, order it today. It costs $100, but puts you in line for the car. The price has been going up every other week, but you are locked in once you place an order.
I appreciate the heads up. Can you change the wheels once your deposit is in?
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

We bought a Y in March 2021. If you'd like to drive one, check for Facebook Groups in your local area. There's usually a "Tesla Owners of [State]" Facebook group, although interaction levels can vary quite a bit.

We did this & submitted a post in the FB Group that said something like "Would anyone with a [Insert Configuration here: e.g., Model Y LR with 20" wheels] be willing to meet up with me in the [Insert metro area] area to check it out? I'll be glad to use you referral code for my order and buy you a cup of coffee for your time." We got multiple offers to meet-up in the first 24 hours & actually managed to arrange seeing a LR & Performance from 2 different people at the same meetup location/time.

We got the 20" induction wheels. Randos on the internet can have a wide variety of takes. Personally, I think the fit/finish/quality/ride of the MY are all fine, coming from a Lexus NX 200t. Quality can vary with Tesla, so do a thorough checklist/review at delivery (especially if your timing works out to be near the end-of-quarter push when stuff gets crazy).

Our insurance rates increased about 10% coming from a 2015 Lexus NX 200t to 2021 MY LR.
Last edited by NoProbLlama on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ankzap

Post by ankzap »

RJC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am I appreciate the heads up. Can you change the wheels once your deposit is in?
You can, but any change in the config (except for maybe adding FSD) resets the price to the current price. It might even push you to the back of the line, but no one really knows how they prioritize orders.
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

ankzap wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:30 am
RJC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:21 am I appreciate the heads up. Can you change the wheels once your deposit is in?
You can, but any change in the config (however minor, except for maybe adding FSD) resets the price to the current price.
In addition to price locks/changes, ordering now will also get you in line & start the clock on your 3-month wait. And be cautious about changes to your configuration because that might lose your spot in line & re-start the clock on your wait.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

ankzap wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:16 am Be prepared for a long wait. Customer service is generally quite bad unless you get an exceptional SA. The estimated delivery dates will change twice a day, from as early as the next day to something 3 months out.

I believe this is more of a high demand issue than a Tesla issue. We had the exact same issues when waiting for our Kia Telluride we ordered back in December 2020. The demand was so high for this vehicle that you had to order it and wait approximately 4- 6 months with zero updates. Our vehicle ended up arriving about 2 months after Dealer initially said it would show up. Also, don't get me started on the dealer negotiating, surprise charges, price increases during the wait, misinformation from the dealer, time spent in the dealer, etc.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

squirm wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:59 pm How much is the extended warranty?
Tesla does not offer one.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

cchrissyy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:20 pm i have not driven it, but, i have been thinking about cars lately and can answer about the insurance prices.

if i log in at geico and do the self-service quote to change my car, holding all else equal, the model Y costs $100 per month more. the X5 would be about the same. in contrast, the lexus rx450h was $40 or 50.
Every carriers is different. Adding my new Tesla 3 to my USAA policy was essentially the same premium as my Audi A3, which was two years old at that time.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Big Dog wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:08 am
I have heard since there are less moving parts, there's less of a chance for things to break down?
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

RJC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 am
I have heard since there are less moving parts, there's less of a chance for things to break down?
Be ready to replace tires more frequently. But no oil changes. And one-pedal driving will save your brakes as well.

Tesla upset a lot of people when they argued the MCU was a wearable part (like tires). They’re great vehicles with a LOT of benefits, but can sometimes border on bleeding-edge technology.
Last edited by NoProbLlama on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

While Tesla doesn’t offer this directly, I was offered an extended warranty from Tesla’s preferred lender. I believe the preferred lender varies geographically, but was Alliant Credit Union for my purchase.
Last edited by NoProbLlama on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

RJC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 am
Definitely fewer parts. In two years, I've changed the wipers once and added windshield fluid, bot DIY.

btw: I would have assumed that extended warranties are very un-BH like.
Be ready to replace tires more frequently.
For those that drive it hard (and fun?), but I'm on year 2+ and still have plenty of tread left.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

clutchied wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:56 am

I drove a performance Y with 21"s and was surprised at how compliant it was. It was a little harsher than my Model 3 with 18's.

If I was buying one for myself I would get the 20's for looks and the 19's for ride.

Smaller wheels will get better efficiency and be cheaper to replace. EVs are not nice on tires.
Good points. I am now leaning toward the 19s since I will be driving the family around.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I test drove it twice. Not a bad ride, neither harsh or sporty, more of a low key luxury feel. It was for my wife, but she changed her mind and decided to keep her car.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

RJC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Good points. I am now leaning toward the 19s since I will be driving the family around.
Also, a lot really depends on the types of roads where you live. Where I live, the roads are well maintained, and they are all asphalt. So I have no problems or complaints with the ride.

OTOH, I might feel very differently if all our roads were straight up concrete with expansion joints. I can’t imagine how horrific it would be to drive on Michigan freeways, for example.

Obviously though, the test drive is the key.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

Normchad wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:21 pm
RJC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Also, a lot really depends on the types of roads where you live. Where I live, the roads are well maintained, and they are all asphalt. So I have no problems or complaints with the ride.

OTOH, I might feel very differently if all our roads were straight up concrete with expansion joints. I can’t imagine how horrific it would be to drive on Michigan freeways, for example.

Obviously though, the test drive is the key.
Scheduled a test drive for this weekend. Will report after! :beer
AnotherMike

Post by AnotherMike »

Good luck! Bought a Model Y performance in March and love the car. Haven’t noticed anything significant in your areas of concern.
Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC »

AnotherMike wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:57 pm Good luck! Bought a Model Y performance in March and love the car. Haven’t noticed anything significant in your areas of concern.
Thanks. No complaints from the family? Do you use it as a daily driver?

I think if it was just me and I use it on occasion, a stiff/sporty ride would be preferable. But that is not my life right now. :happy
anoop

Post by anoop »

I test drove a Model Y a while back with 20” wheels (that is all they had available that day). The ride comfort is comparable to a BMW 3/4 series with a sport suspension (and the BMW running on RFT). In other words, it’s ok for smooth pavement but transmits a lot of the road’s imperfections to the cabin so not comfortable on bad pavement. The seats are soft and well designed so that makes up for something. I was intending to go back and try a car with 19” wheels but haven’t had the chance to do it yet.

There were 2 other weirdnesses —

1/ I was not able to adjust the driver side mirror to eliminate blind spots. I have seen that discussed in many forums. Most people seem to depend on the cameras/center display when checking for vehicles around them.

2/ There was a weird electrical whine from the rear of the car. The sales person claimed that could be fixed.

Based on reviews I’ve seen the Mach-E has a more comfortable ride quality. But when I sat in one (did not drive it) I did not think the seats were as comfortable as the Model Y. I think if I had to get one, the Model Y would be my choice.
Last edited by anoop on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.