Google voice to d/c sms forwarding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mhalley

Google voice to d/c sms forwarding

Post by mhalley »

Everyone that uses google voice probably got the email, but just putting this out there if anyone missed it. Google voice will be discontinuing sms forwarding Aug 1, 2021. So if you use GV for 2FA you will need to use the app, voice.google.com, or enable forwarding to email to get your 2FA pin.
bagle

Re: Google voice to d/c sms forwarding

Post by bagle »

The email I got from Google stated they will discontinue "text message forwarding to linked numbers" on or after Aug. 1.

But does that mean they will discontinue text messages from "linked" or "forwarding" phone numbers to a Google Voice number?
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

Never rely on Google for any service. Even if you pay them they’ll end up discontinuing it.
bagle

Post by bagle »

adestefan wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:36 am Never rely on Google for any service. Even if you pay them they’ll end up discontinuing it.
OK, I agree that Google isn't a reliable company.

But let's say you rely on Google Voice to forward text messages (e.g., from Vanguard) from your US carrier when you're abroad. It's worked so far. What are good alternatives?
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

Nothing to worry about here. They will no longer FORWARD sms to your linked phone number. They still come though the Google Voice app in your GV number. Personally I have never done this -- they have always come through the app for me for the last 10 years.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.