How long should a car last?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JonnyDVM

Re: How long should a car last?

Post by JonnyDVM »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 am That is twice what alternator should cost.

10 years is a good timeframe. We have gone 15. Too long. Plastic parts become brittle, stuff fades, rubber rots.
I agree. While you CAN run a Honda or Toyota for way more than 10 years/100k miles I look to upgrade after about 10 years.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Most vehs made within the last 10-15 yrs can do 200k without crazy repairs if taken care of. Japanese vehs have been doing it since the late 70s early 80s and they ate the American manufactures lunch during the 80s and 90s. US was playing catch up in late 90s and early 2000s.
Wash.Invest

Post by Wash.Invest »

10 yrs, 200k is pretty reasonable

That said.... My daily driver (and rider) are each 45yrs old. I do have a couple newer cars, 1996&97. (First and last yr of 52 mpg station wagon with 25 gal fuel tank = 1200+ miles between fuel stops :sharebeer
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

If you buy it new and maintain it well, I would say 20 years. My "around town" car is a 98 BMW...has never had a major issue, save AC has now failed. My other Beemer is an 08 and low mileage, so it should easily be good for 20 years. Only issue was a failed water pump.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

davebo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am
This brought up a discussion between us regarding when to throw in the towel. She thinks 10 years/100K is about when is reasonable to get rid of a car. I think that a Honda should be able to reach 150K miles easily without dealing with too many major repairs.

Any thoughts? This is primarily for those that drive cradle to grave.
We are cradle to grave car people too. We buy new, pay cash then keep our cars for around 10-12 years at least. Currently I'm driving a 2010 Ford Fusion with 120,000 miles and husband a 2006 F150 with almost 200,000 miles.

Generally I'm in agreement with your wife. At that point not only are things wearing out but as I'm noticing with my Fusion, advances in safety and convenience are substantial enough that the driving experience is going to be much improved with a new vehicle.

OTOH my husband does a lot of trash clean up around our area (Florida Keys) which means he hauls a lot of debris and junk, especially marine related stuff, in his truck. And he will definitely replace his truck with another one since he needs to haul a boat periodically. So he is genuinely pained at the thought of buying a brand new $50-$60K vehicle to load up with wet nasty ocean salvage LOL.

Right now both vehicles are running fine and it's not a good time to buy unless one absolutely needs to do so. We are probably within a year or so of replacing both of ours.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We drive Toyota/Lexus vehicles, used to drive Honda/Acura. Our cars are garaged and we live in a mild climate. Our cars are good for 15 years at a minimum, but no more than 20 for us, as at approximately 20 years much of the car's rubber and plastics - including wire insulation, connectors, and vacuum and hydraulic hoses start to deteriorate to the point where the car will have reliability issues. So we go 15 years at a min, we don't care about driving older cars as long as they are 100% reliable.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

davebo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am I drive a 2006 Honda Accord with 145K miles on it. My wife drives a 2010 Honda Oddessey with around 125K miles. We had a $500 repair on the Mini 2 weeks ago and then now we probably need the alternator replaced, which could be $700 or so. My wife is really pushing for a new car, but I'm a little hesitant because I think it's a bad time to buy.

This brought up a discussion between us regarding when to throw in the towel. She thinks 10 years/100K is about when is reasonable to get rid of a car. I think that a Honda should be able to reach 150K miles easily without dealing with too many major repairs.

Personally, anything after 10 years or 200K miles I would be ok with replacing. I do agree it's not an ideal time to buy a car, but it is certainly a better time to buy a new car rather than a used car.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

My car is 19 years old, about 240K miles (Mercury passenger car). I have had some major work done on it, but it still seems cheaper than springing for a new one.

Right now, I would be trying very hard to avoid buying a new vehicle.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo »

Thanks for the responses, I guess there is no wrong answer! I don't think that my wife would mind the repairs on a 10-15 year old car, but it does become a big hassle when you have to leave it in the shop. I can't say that I blame her, but usually think that this one repair will get us through at least 6-9 months so it's worth it. Difference of opinion I guess!!
SanAntionetta

Post by SanAntionetta »

My 2012 (bought in 2011 new) Honda Civic is right up against 200K miles and besides brakes has never needed a new thing. It also got a paint job, gratis, from the dealership a few years ago due to a paint recall so it still looks pretty sharp. Hondas will last forever.

That being said, as a wife myself I agree with "Happy Wife, Happy Life" concept. My husband drives the old Civic and I have a 2017 vehicle that just hit 50k miles. I will get a new car when the kids are old enough not to destroy the seats - well my husband will get the 2017 and I will get something nice :P
Surfcaster

Post by Surfcaster »

I use about 200k, 12-13 years as a good number unless a change of type is needed. Unfortunately I have two vehicles at this point and good late model cars almost don't exist on the private sale level right now. Note that I do most of my own maintenance though. Alternators are an easy fix for most diy.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:10 am My experience:

Most cars are pretty trouble free for the first 10 years, 100,000 miles.

In years 11-15 (100-150k), you will likely have to start putting a little money towards repairs, but these repairs are typically far less than the monthly cost of a new car.

In years 15+, 150k plus, you run the risk (not the certainty) of a major repair like a transmission, major engine problem, etc. You can continue to drive them but may be forced into a new car purchase at short notice. Or may not.

After 20 years, you are probably living on borrowed time. Still possible if you feel lucky.
This is exactly how we feel and function. I like my cars to go past 10 years/100k miles. After that we start considering upgrading because we don't want to deal with more expensive repairs that put the car out of commission for more than a day. We have yet to keep a car into the 15+ year range. I have had one Japanese car go for 14 trouble free years and sold it before upgrading to a German luxury car. The German car started giving me trouble at year 9 once it hit 100k miles. After the power steering went in year 13 I was done and donated it.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

Well, the 1996 Honda has me beat. I have a 1999 Acura TL in perfect condition. I have it checked by AAA every year and haven't put much money into it. I love this car and hope it's my last one. I'm 77 yrs old. Acura doesn't make them like this anymore.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:22 am We drive Toyota/Lexus vehicles, used to drive Honda/Acura. Our cars are garaged and we live in a mild climate. Our cars are good for 15 years at a minimum, but no more than 20 for us, as at approximately 20 years much of the car's rubber and plastics - including wire insulation, connectors, and vacuum and hydraulic hoses start to deteriorate to the point where the car will have reliability issues. So we go 15 years at a min, we don't care about driving older cars as long as they are 100% reliable.
I would say that you should drive the vehicle until you are actually experiencing some of those reliability issues. I see so many people who drive a car to say 125k miles and dump the car because they are concerned that the car MIGHT become less reliable at some point in the future. Then, they buy a brand new car that turns out to be much less reliable than the old one.

At 160k, I am still on my first alternator. When I drover GM vehicles, I would be on my third one at this point. Seriously.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

davebo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am I drive a 2006 Honda Accord with 145K miles on it.

She thinks 10 years/100K is about when is reasonable to get rid of a car. I think that a Honda should be able to reach 150K miles easily without dealing with too many major repairs.
Any car should be able to reach 150k no problem, all my cars have (all different makes/models). After 150k it's probably a different story, but that '06 Honda you have, the engine will last longer than the body will. Those old Honda's last forever, which is why they're still sought after.

My rule of thumb is 10 yr/150k miles. If I haven't had issues with the car then, I continue to drive it (I drove an old Nissan to 200k before it needed major work). Another rule of thumb is after 150k if I get to the 3rd repair, it's time to get a new car. For example, my old Mazda had to get a new muffler, followed later by a new engine mount bushings, and later new shocks. I skipped getting the new shocks and bought a new car instead. If the repair costs more than the car and the car is old, I'm done. 3rd strike you're out.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I am the original owner of a 1997 Camry with 175K miles. It has been problem free until a week ago when it started to overheat due to a cracked radiator. Cost to replace the radiator was $480 which I was happy to pay. We have 3 cars in the family and the other 2 are 2013 Subaru Outback 168K miles and 2009 Honda Civic 170K miles. The subaru had a transmission issue at around 115K miles which cost about $1800 to fix at the dealer but Subaru of America cut me a check to reimburse me. No major issues on Honda at all.
Wiki
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

You held the cars for 10 years +, it's ok to get a new one.
If you can afford it, why not.
Get rich or die tryin'
wander

Post by wander »

My car is 26-year old with 300k miles so I expect car should last 26+ years. I like to drive an old car because I can and want to keep something that is classic and getting rare (of course, I keep up with maintenance so the car is in excellent shape). I installed backup camera and Apple/Android Car Play stereo. I may add blind spot detection system when I have time.
But when I retire, I will get a modern car and stop working on car all together.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Depends on what you mean by "last". OK to limp to the grocery store on good days? Reliable and safe enough for a safety-conscious person to take on a long road trip through the desert?
4ransom

Post by 4ransom »

Many long haul semi trucks go over a million miles with regular care and maintenance;
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

It seems like even if a car "should" last say, 15 years and 200k (or whatever), the question is really: is your car actually lasting that long? Just because you can think of an average car having a certain lifespan doesn't mean that car will achieve that--some will go on in fine shape for another decade, some will become repair nightmares/money pits well before they "should."

So really the question is: whatever the expected lifespan of an average car, what shape is this car in? And this isn't an easy question to answer because you can't always know what repairs and problems are on the horizon, but I think it's more important to focus in on that question instead. So when you take it to the mechanic, that's what you want to know: what will need replacing in the next 2-3 years, if anything? The longer this list gets, the more you know your car is probably at the end of its useful life and it's time to move on.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

4ransom wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:38 pm Many long haul semi trucks go over a million miles with regular care and maintenance;
Every part of an 18 wheeler semi-tractor truck is built extra heavy for extreme duty and longevity. Notwithstanding Toyota Landcruisers getting a more run of the mill consumer vehicle to 1 million + miles is going to require a significant bit of maintenance.
Watty

Post by Watty »

MoonOrb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:01 am It seems like even if a car "should" last say, 15 years and 200k (or whatever), the question is really: is your car actually lasting that long? Just because you can think of an average car having a certain lifespan doesn't mean that car will achieve that--some will go on in fine shape for another decade, some will become repair nightmares/money pits well before they "should."
It is important to remember that pretty much by definition half of the cars will not last as long as whatever the average is.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Though I've driven 20 year old cars, cars typically develop issues which make it more economical to replace in 12-16 year age,
with about 130K to 160K miles in my experience.
WAROB

Post by WAROB »

It is all a matter of your preference and how you maintain your vehicles along with some luck. I drive a 2003 Lexus GS300 and 2001 Tundra. Both run great and are up to my standards of comfort, reliability etc. I also enjoy cars and do my own maintenance, your situation may very.

In regards to the alternator as others have posted that is a pretty steep quote. Also alternators typically either work or die and need to be replaced. You may have a bearing going bad if it is making a noise but your cost should be ~$120 or less for a good rebuilt alternator plus labor (usually a pretty simple job).

Other maintenance items to consider once you hit the 100-150k mark are the timing belt and water pump, axles (bad cv joints), oil seals such as valve cover and cam seals if leaking.

Realistically your Honda’s should both go 200k plus. I have found that things such leather seats, new stereos with Bluetooth etc. AC recharges and other things help make driving an older vehicle more enjoyable.
justlikeheaven2me

Post by justlikeheaven2me »

We had a 2011 van bad year for Honda. Turns out there is an electrical problem. The ac relay drains the battery. It still drains while the car is off. Everyone kept replacing my alternator. Then my battery. I was fed up. Got a 2011 Pilot surprise the same problems.

With new cars at a record low dealerships need used cars to keep sales up. I would sell up and try to live off one car for 6 months. However if you can snag a remaining new car now is a good time to haggle.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 am 30-35 years, 300-500K miles, you're halfway there. It's truly unfortunate Toyota's last this long, I wish I had a CD player in my oldest Toyota.
No joke. My Toyota T-100 has a cassette deck and I can’t get my phone to pair with the vehicle’s blue tooth for the life of me.
:sharebeer
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I wouldn’t buy an ICE car at this point since the technology is rapidly becoming obsolete. It’s simply not possible for ICE to compete with BEV’s +5% efficiency per year. Fix up your ICE car until a BEV comes along that can meet your needs.

I think keeping a car for 12 years / 150,000 miles is a good minimum. Every year you keep it after that effectively earns you money in your pocket (compared to buying new). You just need to balance the financial gain against 12 years of safety improvements.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

finite_difference wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 am I wouldn’t buy an ICE car at this point since the technology is rapidly becoming obsolete. It’s simply not possible for ICE to compete with BEV’s +5% efficiency per year. Fix up your ICE car until a BEV comes along that can meet your needs.
What's your definition of obsolete? There's a reason why BEV sales were only 2% of sales in 2020 in a country (OP is apparently in the US) that is 2,500+ miles in driving coast to coast.

At this point in time, and in my opinion, the chart below looks pretty dismal for the BEV value proposition. I'd argue it's still in a novelty stage, unless you live in CA, perhaps, or if you want one car just for commuting, but keep an ICE for more enjoyable longer drives. My 2 cents, if the average BEV ranges double/triple, and/or current rapid charging times go to 20% what they are now, and the cost to own is equivalent over 10 years, I might be interested in switching.

Source: https://insideevs.com/reviews/344001/compare-evs/
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Fat Tails wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:28 am
Kagord wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:14 am 30-35 years, 300-500K miles, you're halfway there. It's truly unfortunate Toyota's last this long, I wish I had a CD player in my oldest Toyota.
No joke. My Toyota T-100 has a cassette deck and I can’t get my phone to pair with the vehicle’s blue tooth for the life of me.
:sharebeer
+1

A small part of me wishes my 2001 Toyota Tundra would suffer some sort of catastrophic failure so I could justify a replacement.

It just keeps going and going!
MnD

Post by MnD »

I'm 58 and on my third truck since 1977

77 Datsun, 89 Mazda and 2005 Toyota.
Thanks to the recent frame replacement and leaf spring recalls and $9000 worth of insured hail repair and paint my Tacoma looks and runs like almost new. The headlight covers look tired and I need to get the seat foam redone, but other than that it's a great ride.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
daleddm

Post by daleddm »

Our newest car is an 01, and they go back from there (oldest a 61 VW, but admittedly that's an oddball).

The 01 model(s) are a pair of MB 320, same model as the taxi-types in use all over the world. Reliability and proven good design.

Helps to maybe think of cars compared to aircraft ... safety and reliability first. Loads of aircraft from the 60's and earlier are flying all over the world still today. People buy cars based on the looks - sheet metal (whatever). Or cupholders :-)

True, a newer model car can also be comfy, but I don't really want to be too insulated from the driving experience.

Individual components wear and need replaced. So replace them. You can replace a lot of common maintenance items for the price of a new car.

dalem
pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss »

We own two cars - one purchased in 2013 and the other purchased in 2019. Prior to the 2019 purchase, we had 2003 purchase.

We like to space out the purchasing of a car so that only one car is old at any given time. That way, we always have one car in good/great condition that we can trust to use on a long trip. It is also nice to have a beater car that can be used when driving to sketchy location.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

used 63 Rambler- sold at 15 years.
used 1974 station wagon- ran but not used, sold for $1 in 1992
used Opel 1974- running sold for parts in 1997
new 1998 Grand Caravan- worst purchase - had to wait for order as they switched to the terrible Mitsubishi transmission mid-year. Transmission failures at 70K (under extended warranty because of all the bad press from Consumer Reports on transmission) and 140K, when we exchanged for service to service station.
used 1995 Camry sedan (from Enterprise)- donated at 225K in 2012 because of suspension repairs.
used 1994 Camry station wagon- donated in 2019 at 174K because couldn't figure out the stalling problem
new 2002 subura station wagon- gifted to son who still has it at 178K.
2019 Volt- we'll see. Hope battery last 10 years
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Idea. You can get a small FM transmitter to adapter a portable CD player to your car radio.
Add FM transmitter to your portable CD player. Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=CD+fm+car+radio+adapter
Or all-in-one unit. Search: https://www.google.com/search?q=cd+play ... ransmitter

Cost. If the annual repair cost is less than new car cost (payments+license+insurance), then I'd consider keeping the older vehicle.

New features. However, if you want the newest safety/convenience features, then I'd get the newer vehicle. And be prepared to pay more for license and insurance.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Kagord wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:11 am
finite_difference wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 am I wouldn’t buy an ICE car at this point since the technology is rapidly becoming obsolete. It’s simply not possible for ICE to compete with BEV’s +5% efficiency per year. Fix up your ICE car until a BEV comes along that can meet your needs.
What's your definition of obsolete? There's a reason why BEV sales were only 2% of sales in 2020 in a country (OP is apparently in the US) that is 2,500+ miles in driving coast to coast.

At this point in time, and in my opinion, the chart below looks pretty dismal for the BEV value proposition. I'd argue it's still in a novelty stage, unless you live in CA, perhaps, or if you want one car just for commuting, but keep an ICE for more enjoyable longer drives. My 2 cents, if the average BEV ranges double/triple, and/or current rapid charging times go to 20% what they are now, and the cost to own is equivalent over 10 years, I might be interested in switching.

Source: https://insideevs.com/reviews/344001/compare-evs/
Obsolete technology as in all major car companies will end sales in less than 15 years and are basically not investing in the technology anymore.

If you need to go on a long road trip you can always rent a car.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard »

I agree with a prior post - cars last as long as you want them to. Meaning, as long as you are willing to pay for new parts/maintenance (this goes for every single brand), the car will go. I could be wrong, but I believe that toyota/honda owners are more willing to extend this upkeep period? based on expectation/advertising/perception of car immortality, though we will never know.

For me, there are three factors for trade-in: (1) I get bored of a vehicle , (2) I get tired of paying for repairs/upkeep, (3) the vehicle is not safe for some reason.

Disclosure: I owned 3 Hondas before quality tanked to current levels, and they were trouble free for most part, but eventually transmission/HVAC/suspension/brake/timing belt/etc maintenance catches up, anecdotally around 80k miles, and bank accounts start to take a hit, just when car value is dropping to new lows.
Disclaimer: I'm not very smart, and this is just my hypothesis.
TarHeel2002

Post by TarHeel2002 »

Similar situation as OP.

2006 Camry (162k miles) and 2010 Highlander (148k miles). We’ve discussed an upgrade / new car but it’s really hard to justify when these cars just keep going. I had to replace the alternator on my Camry a couple years ago …$450…totally worth it.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

viewtopic.php?p=5728175#p5728175
Refer to this Forum 3 page thread: "How Long To Keep A Car".

One post there:
<snip>
The Story of Blue Betsy
(picture is not actually of Blue Betsy but pretty close).

Blue Betsy, originally owned by a fireman friend for over 15 years in a high salt tropical climate. He bought her brand new for several thousand dollars.
Mileage 180k to unknown. Rusted floor, leaked. Rusted roof, leaked (water drained out of floor so fine).
Radiator had no fins but did not leak or overheat.
R4 4 cylinder engine, standard shift, zero extras.
Blue Betsy has original clutch and drivetrain. No repairs done or needed. Ran great.

Blue Betsy was given to me by my old best friend as an "extra car" for free. I drove Betsy for a couple years.
My son learned how to drive on Blue Betsy, then drove Blue Betsy to school every day for several years, then gave Blue Betsy back to me after buying a VW Golf.

I drove Blue Betsy for awhile then finally sold Blue Betsy to a nice retired Carpenter fellow for $800 in cash.
I had put in zero repairs except for some Bondo and blue spray paint and a set of new tires in the entire time I had Blue Betsy.

I would like to think that Blue Betsy has been restored and is still on the road.

Blue Betsy:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:23 am viewtopic.php?p=5728175#p5728175
Refer to this Forum 3 page thread: "How Long To Keep A Car".

One post there:
<snip>
The Story of Blue Betsy
(picture is not actually of Blue Betsy but pretty close).

Blue Betsy, originally owned by a fireman friend for over 15 years in a high salt tropical climate. He bought her brand new for several thousand dollars.
Mileage 180k to unknown. Rusted floor, leaked. Rusted roof, leaked (water drained out of floor so fine).
Radiator had no fins but did not leak or overheat.
R4 4 cylinder engine, standard shift, zero extras.
Blue Betsy has original clutch and drivetrain. No repairs done or needed. Ran great.

Blue Betsy was given to me by my old best friend as an "extra car" for free. I drove Betsy for a couple years.
My son learned how to drive on Blue Betsy, then drove Blue Betsy to school every day for several years, then gave Blue Betsy back to me after buying a VW Golf.

I drove Blue Betsy for awhile then finally sold Blue Betsy to a nice retired Carpenter fellow for $800 in cash.
I had put in zero repairs except for some Bondo and blue spray paint and a set of new tires in the entire time I had Blue Betsy.

I would like to think that Blue Betsy has been restored and is still on the road.

Blue Betsy:
Great story! I have to say though that is one of the most depressing looking vehicles I've ever seen. It seems to be asking to be put out of its misery.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:10 pm Depends on what you mean by "last". OK to limp to the grocery store on good days? Reliable and safe enough for a safety-conscious person to take on a long road trip through the desert?
I have been commuting between Tucson and Southern Nevada a lot with not an issue. Of course, I take the time to have the tire tread measured, the brakes checked and the battery checked between trips.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

My last car, a 1996 Toyota Corolla, lasted 21 years. I wasn’t the original owner, I might’ve been the fourth or fifth owner for all I know. I think the mileage was about 180K. And we have snow and road salt here.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

We just got rid of a 2003 with 185k miles on it a few weeks ago. It required no major repairs up to that point, but was starting to have issues with the emissions system (among other things) that would be expensive to fix. My BIL has a 2009 with 205k miles on it. My SIL has a 2009 with 255k miles on it. None of these have required major repairs. BTW...none of these cars are Hondas or Toyotas.

To me, it is not how long it could possibly last. It is when I am tired of it and want something new and won't feel guilty about wasting money on a new car. I try to keep a car 10 years. Last time I made it 13 years. My current car is 7 years old but I have an itch I am trying not to scratch.
trumpet83

Post by trumpet83 »

For me it's become about "beating" the mileage total I made it to on my last vehicle.

My previous Truck was a Ford Ranger that I got to 211k miles in about 9 years. Was riding fine and would have kept, but someone rear ended it and decided to use insurance $ to buy next one.

Current Ford Ranger (bought another) is a few months short of 12 years old (10 of them with me) and at 176k miles. I'm itching to buy a new truck honestly, but plan to keep this one and try to set a new "mileage record".

Really, I think the logical way to do it is to track your repairs vs. the expected payment or driving cost of the level of vehicle you plan to replace it with. It of course makes sense to upgrade once these numbers are the same, but it's a personal issue what percentage you will accept as the repairs creep up from 0. The last two years I've spent about $500-$1100 each on work with my truck. This is still basically nothing in comparison to stepping up to the payment of a new vehicle.

Standard for my wife's vehicles is different. Bought a new Jeep Renegade for her 5 years ago. We will probably keep a long time, but I wouldn't tell her to "try and beat her last mileage" if she was pushing for something around that 10 year mark. :happy
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:06 am 20 years or 300,000 miles are my minimum expectations.
This. My Honda Civic is at 17 years ~220K, So I have about 3 years or 80K more miles to go. It should not be a problem.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

To me mileage is somewhat irrelevant, it’s the age of the vehicle. Eventually the car starts to rattle over every little bump, electrical gremlins creep up, switches stop working, water seals start to leak, glue dries out and separates, seats wear and potentially crack, fuel economy degrades, engine power drops, etc.. 10-12 years is usually when I can’t stand a car anymore and look to upgrade.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

So many variables. I have a 20+ year old American SUV (only 125k miles) that as a model is fairly unreliable. My version fortunately has the “reliable” engine option. Other than consumables (including brake cables and rotors that rusted after 15+ hard years), I’ve had very few issues. Had a bad ECU from water intrusion from windows being used in the rain/snow and that was the worst of it. Beautiful v8 engine feel and idles like the day I picked it up. Most of my usage is temperate California, but lots of time in the mountains in winter.

Unfortunately getting rid of it soon for a newer safer vehicle but even my wife is having second thoughts. And, no, I wouldn’t buy another. Even though I got lucky, I don’t doubt the data.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

My last car was a 17 year old Toyota with 18x,xxx miles. If it had passed the state smog inspection I would have kept it.

Not being mechanically inclined I was reluctant to put $800 into it that was the ask at the dealership. Plus it was going to need a new clutch and brakes (both original) soon.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

davebo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am I drive a 2006 Honda Accord with 145K miles on it. My wife drives a 2010 Honda Oddessey with around 125K miles. We had a $500 repair on the Mini 2 weeks ago and then now we probably need the alternator replaced, which could be $700 or so. My wife is really pushing for a new car, but I'm a little hesitant because I think it's a bad time to buy.

If you have a good mechanic, they should be able to give you advice specific to your particular car and its condition.

My wife has a 2007 Subaru Forester with 67k miles on it. Our mechanic says that it's time to replace it due to some expensive repairs likely to come up soon.

I have a 2011 Forester with 129k miles on it. It will need a new exhaust system in the next year or so, but it will be worth keeping for years.

That said, you might want to consider that if buying a new car will make her happy it will be a worthwhile investment.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.