Rx home delivery?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Picasso

Re: Rx home delivery?

Post by Picasso »

I run a health insurance plan and Rx home delivery is a great option! It is easier and less expensive for you and the insurer (read - lower premiums).

Check with your insurance pharmacy benefit manager via your online portal. They'll likely have a way to opt-in to home delivery, though this is plan dependent and decided by your employer. I wouldn't have an issue with receiving refrigerated drugs via mail - they pack them with dry ice.

Happy to help as needed.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Our insurance is a Medicare Part D that lets us use local participating pharmacies and we do use them for one off prescriptions. We live in a small town and the closest one, a Walgreens, is a 5 minute walk away. Because it is a small town, there are usually not more than one or two people ahead of us, if there are any. For continuing prescriptions we use CVS Caremark mail order and have done so for many years. Doctors send scripts to them electronically and a 90 day supply is sent to the house very quickly. Refills are ordered online. With our insurance, scripts are very inexpensive - my generic statin is actually free and most generics are $5 for a 90 day supply. I recently started a specialty drug and 6 injectable pens were sent overnight to the house in an insulated container with plenty of ice packs. A $6000 prescription cost us $55. Getting 3 months worth at the local pharmacy would be $90.
We will continue to get our prescriptions this way unless things change dramatically for the worse.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

sport wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 am
DetroitRick wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:45 am A few years ago, Express Scripts acting as benefits manager for our health insurer, kept calling to convert our maintenance scripts to mail. Price was not substantively better. But I raised the issue of temperature controls, including in-transit and our mailbox (I can't guarantee it won't be in our box for a few hours). And understanding both the normal storage temps and manufacturer-specified excursions. Their answer was so vague that I didn't trust them and dropped the idea.
My Part D insurance is through Express Scripts as part of my Medicare Advantage Plan. I have a choice of mail order from them, or local pharmacies. Mail order is a little cheaper. I started using mail order. However, when I had one Rx was not right (probable temperature damage), Express Scripts would replace it unless I paid another copay. They said there was no recall on the drug so they would not replace it. They gave me contact info for the manufacturer. The manufacturer offered to replace it for free, but they are not a licensed pharmacy. So they offered to supply the drug to Express Scripts to give to me. Express Scripts refused to cooperate. In the end the manufacturer reimbursed my copay and asked me to send the bad Rx to them. I have been using local pharmacies ever since, even though I pay a little more. It is worth the difference not to deal with Express Scripts.
Thanks for the info, and I'm not surprised. While my Part D is currently thru Mutual of Omaha, that plan is administered by Express Scripts too. Anyway, I did compare prices for their mail order and my retail pharmacy, and only one instance was very marginally better via mail. With the whole temperature thing, I'm just not taking the risk. Your narrative tells me I made the right decision.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Our insurer formerly used Express Scripts and is now using Caremark as the pharmacy benefits manager. I tried both of those for the mail order prescription service years ago and was not at all satisfied. Deliveries did not always ship when promised, shipments were delayed, boxes were not well-packaged and I even had one that never showed up which was a nightmare to have replaced.

Now, USPS in our area is more unreliable and slow than ever and two recent FedEx 2nd day air shipments took over a week after shipping to arrive to me. UPS still appears to be able to deliver shipments on time and correctly.

I'll never use mail order or other shipped pharmacy services again if I can help it. Once it leaves their hands and is under the control of USPS, FedEx or UPS...good luck getting any resolution if the shipment is delayed, diverted, damaged or lost.

Our local Walmart will bring your prescription out to you in the car and most of the other local pharmacies have a drive-thru lane. At least then when they say your prescription is ready they actually have it and you can pick it up at your convenience. And any wait if you prefer not to go inside is in the comfort of your car where you can listen to music, have the AC on, drink a cold beverage and scroll through the latest posts on Bogleheads! 8-)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Update:

The Rx from Walgreens was picked up by FedEx late Monday afternoon, and I received an email with the tracking number as soon as Walgreens had processed the label. I was able to track it from the label processing, pickup, through a FedEx sorting facility one state over, back locally, out for delivery, and then it arrived on our doorstep at about noon on Tuesday.
I promptly got an email announcing it had been delivered.

It was nice to have the tracking info.
(One needs to sign up for the notifications using the tracking number.)

I don't know if there was any particular reason that the downtown Walgreens used FedEx rather than USPS, as our neighborhood CVS branches do. (It was an injectible, but *not* narcotic/controlled, but perhaps the needle/syringes?)

No complaints. :happy

However, I have wondered who is absorbing these delivery fees, given that at least for now, there are no extra charges to us, even for the FedEx. There's never been any extra cost to us since the pandemic led to the new delivery situation.

RM

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:27 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 am
<snip>

A new pharmacy (Walgreens) ordered a special med that the CVS stores near us couldn't get in the past. They sent it FedEx overnight yesterday, for delivery today, with full tracking. (It's not a controlled substance.)

In the past, when DH needed specially compounded eye drops without preservatives, yet another specialty pharmacy would make up a few dozen tiny (teeny tiny!) vials, and ship them frozen with ice packs (LOTS of ice packs!), via FedEx next day delivery. The amount of insulation around the vials and ice packs was... astonishing.
Back then, pre-covid, we had to pay for the delivery, but it was little enough that we didn't bother to drive and hour round trip to get it after the first time (when we discussed the med in person dirctly with the compounding pharmacist).

Many "local" pharmacies deliver, and by now, they should have a procedure well in place.
At least for CVS, we can also see when they've received an Rx from our physician, and "click" to have it filled and sent out.
That should be close enough to "online pharmacy" for you, even though it is a physical store...?

RM
This is great info.
Thanks for taking the time for a long post.

I'll look into the RX's I pickup now to see if they can also be delivered this way.
Mahalo
j :D
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 am Our local Walmart will bring your prescription out to you in the car and most of the other local pharmacies have a drive-thru lane. At least then when they say your prescription is ready they actually have it and you can pick it up at your convenience. And any wait if you prefer not to go inside is in the comfort of your car where you can listen to music, have the AC on, drink a cold beverage and scroll through the latest posts on Bogleheads!
We had a similar process when we went for our flu shots last fall, at the local CVS mini-clinic (forget what they are called).

We could log in using our cell phones to see where we were in the queue, with the timing being the same as what we had signed up for online previously.

We were able to wait in our car near the CVS door, until we got a notification that the first of our two appointments was "ready". We both went in, despite the "no one may accompany unless assistance is needed", and told the medical staffer that we had sequential appointments and were 'together'. She smiled and said that of course we could both come in together if that's what we preferred.

SO much nicer that sitting in a crowded area right near a line of people who are waiting to drop off/pick up prescriptions,

At least *some* of the new "inconveniences" are very convenient indeed.

RM
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

My husband and I both use Accredo Mail-order pharmacy for some specialty meds, (they are the only way we can fill them, our Cigna plan requires certain tier meds to be through them). No issues during the 9 months we've had them. They overnight FedEx two of them, (one refrigerated in foam box with ice-packs, and a little paper temp warning gauge to indicate if it got too hot during transit, the other in insulated pouch with a gel-pack that isn't as cold). The third med they overnight via UPS, (I have no idea why they don't use the same carrier, when their overnighting all of them, but they've done it that way from the start).

Prior to this, we had United Healthcare for almost two decades, and our plan had a few different benefit managers over the years that they contracted with for specialty meds. Same deal, mail-order only. I recall Optum RX as the PBM at one point, and Costco at another. No issues with them either, (with the exception of taking a couple times for them to get their act together to notate our files correctly with the releases to allow us to order for each other based on our schedules).

For 'routine' lower tier meds, I do not use them. I just use Sam's Club. Mail-order I could get a slight discount, but I like the personal care our local store gives us, (asks about my mom, each other, good about checking for interactions, etc). There's also 2 (maybe 3?), of our meds that are free to use being Plus members, no cost to us.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Mail order has been around for many years, so it can be really good for maintenance meds. When I was in benefits at mega-corp, our retirees loved the convenience.

Many insurance plans offer mail order option in addition to retail. Check with yours medical/pharmacy plan and ask about specific Rx that you might be taking to see if they are eligible for mail order. (not sure if refrigerated items qualify)
ellvizzle

Post by ellvizzle »

Depending on where you live, Alto is an amazing pharmacy. You can even order day of until 5p and they’ll courier it that evening. I have had a number of expensive refrigerated meds delivered and they have been packaged so well. I’ve noticed prices are often comparable to other pharmacies, sometimes lower, higher, or same.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

calmaniac wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:26 am I switched to Express Scripts a year ago. I order meds and typically receive them within 3 days (Wash DC suburb). No lines, no waiting, no fuss.

A family member used to get insulin by mail. Always came with cold packs. No real issues.
Also found Express Scripts mail order to be completely satisfactory.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Does anyone have experience with schedule II medications and Rx Home Delivery? Typically, schedule II medications are dispensed on a 30 month basis.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

In our area grocery store pharmacies do free home delivery. Just check in your area pharmacy.
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Raraculus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:49 pm Does anyone have experience with schedule II medications and Rx Home Delivery? Typically, schedule II medications are dispensed on a 30 month basis.
Yes.
Pre-Covid, it was apparently impossible to have those sent out, at least by USPS, and I don't think even personal courier, although I assume it could be arranged for someone truly unable to leave home with no one else (?).

But after some time with the Covid adjustments, those are just sent out like any other med, except it is still a 30-day supply, not the 90-day supply we get for other meds.
Surprisingly, there isn't even any need to sign for the package when it arrives. Yes, that makes us a bit nervous, but it's never (yet) gone astray...

Did you call your pharmacy provider to ask and get different information? If so, perhaps it is state specific as well as Federal?

RM
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:03 pm
Raraculus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:49 pm Does anyone have experience with schedule II medications and Rx Home Delivery? Typically, schedule II medications are dispensed on a 30 month basis.
Yes.
Pre-Covid, it was apparently impossible to have those sent out, at least by USPS, and I don't think even personal courier, although I assume it could be arranged for someone truly unable to leave home with no one else (?).

But after some time with the Covid adjustments, those are just sent out like any other med, except it is still a 30-day supply, not the 90-day supply we get for other meds.
Surprisingly, there isn't even any need to sign for the package when it arrives. Yes, that makes us a bit nervous, but it's never (yet) gone astray...

Did you call your pharmacy provider to ask and get different information? If so, perhaps it is state specific as well as Federal?

RM

I have used Schedule II drugs for decades. I used to be able to receive 360 pills for 3 month supply, free. When all the restrictions started happening a couple of years ago, Humana started filling only for 30 days, 120 pills. Incidentally they also started charging me $10 co-pay. So I went from $0 dollars/year to $120/year. Total rip-off. Since I could get the same drugs for my co-pay of $10 locally, I started getting them at Publix Pharmacy. Publix has to order them as I'm the only person who buys them in that particular store, according to my pharmacist.

I have to be careful how I order, time wise. Once I had a great run with less pain and my supply lasted longer, Humana wanted to make me get re-approved. Fortunately my PCP was able to keep my refills coming.

Never had an issue receiving the drugs from Humana mail-order, and, I never signed for them either. Humana periodically tries to get me to order thru them, but there is no incentive for me to do so. All my other meds are set up to refill at earliest allowable date, but the Schedule II drug requires an RX every month.

I'm sorry people overdose, but this whole issue was a PITA for legit users when things started changing. Now they send me Narcan, also. At least it is free.

The only time I ever overdosed was with fentanyl, and that was administered by the hospital I was in when repairing my broken legs in 2017. Three days in IC when I stopped breathing for a bit.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
rockylou

Post by rockylou »

I switched from local CVS to Valisure (only pharmacy that chemically tests every batch of drugs before sending out) when several BP meds were recalled due to possible carcinogen. I don’t take anything that needs to be refrigerated but I have been very happy with them. I receive within 2 days at no charge and I actually am paying less than I was at CVS. They also have great customer service, much better than local CVS
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 am A few thoughts: Your insurance might specify only one mail order service and won't pay for others.

If your choice is Express Scripts, pass and stand in line for an hour. They'll get it wrong for every single delivery and you'll spend an hour and a half on the phone trying to fix it. (we were forced into them for some time)

We get some stuff mail order through CVS. Has always been correct.

So the point is, your mileage may vary, depending on who the mail order company is.

I use Express Scripts because they have the contract with Uncle Sam for the retired military prescription plan. Under this plan I get 90 days of “maintenance meds” for the same co-pay as a single (up to 30 days) scrip at the local drug store. I have 5 different maintenance meds and I have to say I have never had a problem getting my scrips on time (via USPS). (I don’t use any that require special handling such as keeping them refrigerated.)

Philosophically, I would rather get my meds from a local, independent pharmacy. But so far I’ve seen no compelling reason to pay triple co-pays to do so.

Now that I’ve gone on record with this, I’m sure my next order will be screwed up, late and billed incorrectly.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:34 pmI'm sorry people overdose, but this whole issue was a PITA for legit users when things started changing.
A few years ago, we (me and my GF) could travel all over the U.S. We could fill Rx's for Schedule II medications in other states, other than the one we ordinarily live in.

The music stopped abruptly sometime in late 2018. We were in Louisiana and we could not fill a Rx there. We had to drive 300+ miles roundtrip to get the medication. A few months later, we travelled to Tennessee and we could not fill a schedule II Rx. The last few days of our Tennessee vacation were a little bit tense. :shock:

Then 2020 happened, and our travel plans were shelved. Now, we're looking forward to extensive travelling later this summer, but we have to plan it around Rx refill dates. Hence, my curiosity around Rx home delivery of schedule II Rx's.

I was wondering if a pharmacy could mail out schedule II Rx's to an address other than our home? For example, they could mail it to a FedEx center or hotel and we could pick it up.

If that's possible, then travel planning becomes easier, knowing that we can get a refill of medications that we need.
Broken Man 1999

Raraculus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:34 pmI'm sorry people overdose, but this whole issue was a PITA for legit users when things started changing.
A few years ago, we (me and my GF) could travel all over the U.S. We could fill Rx's for Schedule II medications in other states, other than the one we ordinarily live in.

The music stopped abruptly sometime in late 2018. We were in Louisiana and we could not fill a Rx there. We had to drive 300+ miles roundtrip to get the medication. A few months later, we travelled to Tennessee and we could not fill a schedule II Rx. The last few days of our Tennessee vacation were a little bit tense. :shock:

Then 2020 happened, and our travel plans were shelved. Now, we're looking forward to extensive travelling later this summer, but we have to plan it around Rx refill dates. Hence, my curiosity around Rx home delivery of schedule II Rx's.

I was wondering if a pharmacy could mail out schedule II Rx's to an address other than our home? For example, they could mail it to a FedEx center or hotel and we could pick it up.

If that's possible, then travel planning becomes easier, knowing that we can get a refill of medications that we need.
As legit as your need, I can't imagine anyone would mail to anywhere except your address on record.

What if you had an RX at a national drugstore chain, perhaps the drugstore where you might be at the time could pull it up and refill.

I would talk to a national chain drugstore where you live and see if they could fill it wherever you are.

There are folks who spend months in different locations, I'm sure some might need pain meds.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

brian91480 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:58 am Everyone should look into Costco. Even if you are not a member, I think non-members have access to the pharmacy. I am stunned how much cheaper my prescriptions are at Costco compared to other places. (they have some common pet medications too)
Have you used their online pharmacy?

I'd rather take a beating than deal with the lines at my Costco's pharmacy.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No need for refrigeration here
Part D Medicare
Humana Walmart Value Rx Plan PDP
17.20 a month
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

boglegirl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 am
brian91480 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:58 am Everyone should look into Costco. Even if you are not a member, I think non-members have access to the pharmacy. I am stunned how much cheaper my prescriptions are at Costco compared to other places. (they have some common pet medications too)

I went from paying $70/ month on a prescription... to $14 FOR 3 MONTHS. No exaggeration.

I live in a medium size city... population around 150k. My longest wait is 10 minutes... most of the time even less. I can live with that for the extreme savings.
hudson

Post by hudson »

I use CVS for 4 ongoing and non-refrigerated prescriptions.
At the right time, every 90 days, I get a text saying that it's time.
I use the iPhone app to pay and request shipment.
I usually get the pills in one or two days by US Mail.
No issues.

My wife gets refrigerated meds from Humana Pharmacy every two weeks.
They call every time before they ship it.
It comes in a medium sized box with ice packs and insulation.
No issues.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

boglegirl wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:05 am

This also depends on pharmacy networks. If Costco is not in the preferred tier, drugs from there will not be covered or will have higher cost shares than preferred pharmacies.
Kompass

Post by Kompass »

I switched to independent pharmacies 15 years ago and never looked back. Three different states and insurances (not Medicare, PPO) all offered delivery in their own vehicle (or would mail it if I was traveling out of town) to surrounding areas, price competitive. The one I use now cannot deliver controlled substances but all others okay, it may have to do with being in Ca, I don't take any so it's fine but you should ask.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

I have an old dog with chronic arthritis who requires routine anti-inflammatory medications. Costco charges much less for the medication than my vet. Does anyone ever ask the vet to write a script that can be filled at an outside pharmacy, rather than buying it directly from the vet at a substantial markup? I know it's more difficult for a vet to make a buck than a human medical doctor. He has a staff to pay and he works darn hard to make a go of it in his practice that required many years of education. I want to support his practice. But his price for meds is over twice the amount I'd pay at Costco. How do other pet owners handle this situation?
egrets

Post by egrets »

4nursebee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am I really do not like waiting in line, especially with people that might be sick. Pharmacies seem to take longer. I am somewhat aware that perhaps we could start doing business virtually and have medications delivered. Do any of you do this? What is the process like? Are meds properly refrigerated? Who do you suggest to use or avoid and why? What else is there to know? If it matters, nothing is controlled, one med needs not freeze or get too hot.
Thank you!
I use Walgreens curbside pickup. They have a reserved parking spot in the lot next door, you call in when you arrive, and they bring the prescriptions out to you. So you can wait in the car until you see them approaching, a good thing if you have arthritis, etc.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Just wanted to do a followup regarding home delivery of schedule II medications.

The local pharmacist was willing to refill them a few days early, provided that we supply proof of travel, i.e., airline ticket, hotel reservation... It can give us a little breathing room when it comes to trip planning.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Independent pharmacies have been offering home delivery via an employee driving to your house for many decades. (This was once my job.)

I do a combination of mail order for maintenance meds and contactless drive thru for everything else. In the drive thru, I call them via my cell phone, and my med comes out a chute.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Raraculus wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:56 pm Just wanted to do a followup regarding home delivery of schedule II medications.

The local pharmacist was willing to refill them a few days early, provided that we supply proof of travel, i.e., airline ticket, hotel reservation... It can give us a little breathing room when it comes to trip planning.
Are you only referring to getting extra quantities if traveling, or are you still asking about home delivery?

Our CVS has been able to mail controlled meds to us for quite a while now, although it wasn't possible at the beginning of the pandemic when all other meds could be mailed out at no extra cost.

What we haven't had to deal with - yet - is what if we are traveling for much more than 30 days, say 60 days or such? That's not looking likely these days, but until the pandemic, we had been thinking that we might start thinking about trips longer than our usual max of 3-4 weeks.
(We've been able to get a bit of extra quantities in case of any delay getting home, etc., by having our physician write on the script to fill extra "due to travel". But to date, that has only been for about 10 days extra, and then once home, the new scheduling starts with the adjusted date when more would truly be needed per the regular dosing and larger supply.)

We still haven't had any of the meds go astray while in the USPS, which is a real surprise, and it would no doubt cause real aggravation if it were either a controlled substance or a med where the non-insurance cost was in the thousands, per month. I don't know what happens if a delivery goes astray in either of those situations, and I hope we never need to find out.)

RM
sport

Post by sport »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pm
Our CVS has been able to mail controlled meds to us for quite a while now, although it wasn't possible at the beginning of the pandemic when all other meds could be mailed out at no extra cost.

What we haven't had to deal with - yet - is what if we are traveling for much more than 30 days, say 60 days or such? That's not looking likely these days, but until the pandemic, we had been thinking that we might start thinking about trips longer than our usual max of 3-4 weeks.
(We've been able to get a bit of extra quantities in case of any delay getting home, etc., by having our physician write on the script to fill extra "due to travel". But to date, that has only been for about 10 days extra, and then once home, the new scheduling starts with the adjusted date when more would truly be needed per the regular dosing and larger supply.)
RM
If you are travelling within the US, perhaps you can to other CVS stores for refills. That would be an advantage to using a pharmacy with a wide network of stores.
miyaraj354

Post by miyaraj354 »

I am using Amazon pharmacy for my parents' medication and I find it super convenient. They don't deliver medications on the weekends, so you'll have to plan your refill requests mindful of that. Also, another downside to Amazon, their quickest turnaround would be 2-3 days from the day the doc prescribed the medication, whereas you could pick it up from a local pharmacy the same day. But using the app to request for refill and is super easy and access to a customer care rep is very quick as well. My mom's insulin comes in a very well insulated dry-ice box.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

sport wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:30 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pm

RM
If you are travelling within the US, perhaps you can to other CVS stores for refills. That would be an advantage to using a pharmacy with a wide network of stores.
I'm not sure about having controlled meds mailed across state lines, but that's not been relevant (yet).

Our longer trips (those 3-4 week trips) have thus far all been foreign, or we might have looked into that.
I haven't asked our physician about it, but I wonder what could be done if someone wanted to travel for, say, two months. A six-month round the world cruise would probably be quite difficult for this, but I don't know for sure how it could/would be handled.

A different problem is that some countries have VERY strict policies forbidding bringing in certain meds. In some cases, those restricted substances aren't even "controlled" here in the USA. Original-formula Sudafed is absolutely not allowed in Japan, or wasn't about 3 years ago. NO special approvals could be arranged for that, but USA controlled meds were quite easy to arrange for approval, surprisingly easy.
Different countries might have different policies, obviously, but if we can't get the proper quantity due to restrictions here in the USA, then that's not much help.

Until we ever decided to travel farther than our front porch again, this won't be a problem :annoyed

RM
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:21 pmAre you only referring to getting extra quantities if traveling, or are you still asking about home delivery?
Home delivery. I don't think extra quantities are allowed for schedule II medications.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

miyaraj354 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:41 pmI am using Amazon pharmacy for my parents' medication and I find it super convenient.
Do they deliver to Amazon lockers? I recently went on a month-long trip and I could see Amazon lockers set up in rural areas, usually at gas stations. My thinking was that a person could travel and still get the medications they need via delivery to Amazon lockers.
bacon4retirement

Post by bacon4retirement »

My employer health plan just switched to Express Scripts, and they have been a pain to switch all medications over to a 90 day supply. I had to contact each doctor I had a 30 day prescription from, and ask them to resubmit it as a 90 day supply.

Before that I used the AllianceRX. Unfortunately, they do not have an interface that allows easy billing to one address and shipping to another address. Prepandemic, it took several phone calls for them to set up shipping to my spouse's workplace to avoid porch pirates. Once the pandemic hit and we started working from home, it took several phone calls to switch back to home delivery.

Although both these experiences sucked, they were both marginally more convenient that picking up 30 day supplies a local pharmacy.
MJS

Post by MJS »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am
4nursebee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:39 am
Do they deliver?
Only via Instacart.
According to their website, https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/about-h ... ivery.html , Costco will also deliver via mail. However, the Instacart line may be a safer choice for refrigerated RX.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:29 am A few thoughts: Your insurance might specify only one mail order service and won't pay for others.

If your choice is Express Scripts, pass and stand in line for an hour. They'll get it wrong for every single delivery and you'll spend an hour and a half on the phone trying to fix it. (we were forced into them for some time)

We get some stuff mail order through CVS. Has always been correct.

So the point is, your mileage may vary, depending on who the mail order company is.
I've used express scripts for years for all maintenance drugs. Never had any issues.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

bacon4retirement wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:11 am My employer health plan just switched to Express Scripts, and they have been a pain to switch all medications over to a 90 day supply. I had to contact each doctor I had a 30 day prescription from, and ask them to resubmit it as a 90 day supply.
How can you blame Express scripts for following the law?
sport

Post by sport »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am I've used express scripts for years for all maintenance drugs. Never had any issues.
sport wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 am My Part D insurance is through Express Scripts as part of my Medicare Advantage Plan. I have a choice of mail order from them, or local pharmacies. Mail order is a little cheaper. I started using mail order. However, when I had one Rx was not right (probable temperature damage), Express Scripts would replace it unless I paid another copay. They said there was no recall on the drug so they would not replace it. They gave me contact info for the manufacturer. The manufacturer offered to replace it for free, but they are not a licensed pharmacy. So they offered to supply the drug to Express Scripts to give to me. Express Scripts refused to cooperate. In the end the manufacturer reimbursed my copay and asked me to send the bad Rx to them. I have been using local pharmacies ever since, even though I pay a little more. It is worth the difference not to deal with Express Scripts.
Express Scripts is fine, until there is a problem. Then, good luck.
Broken Man 1999

sport wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:32 am
wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am I've used express scripts for years for all maintenance drugs. Never had any issues.
sport wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:04 am My Part D insurance is through Express Scripts as part of my Medicare Advantage Plan. I have a choice of mail order from them, or local pharmacies. Mail order is a little cheaper. I started using mail order. However, when I had one Rx was not right (probable temperature damage), Express Scripts would replace it unless I paid another copay. They said there was no recall on the drug so they would not replace it. They gave me contact info for the manufacturer. The manufacturer offered to replace it for free, but they are not a licensed pharmacy. So they offered to supply the drug to Express Scripts to give to me. Express Scripts refused to cooperate. In the end the manufacturer reimbursed my copay and asked me to send the bad Rx to them. I have been using local pharmacies ever since, even though I pay a little more. It is worth the difference not to deal with Express Scripts.
We had problems "turning off" MIL's auto-ship RXs when she passed. Even though notified of her death, Express Scripts kept shipping.

Broken Man 1999
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

What is "probable temperature damage"?
sport

Post by sport »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:42 am
The Rx was a nasal spray. When I used it, I could tell it was different than in the past. My Dr. told me not to use it. The package specified a temperature range. That range was "probably" exceeded while in the custody of the post office system, but there was no way to prove it. There did not seem to be any other likely explanation.
Opinika

Post by Opinika »

4nursebee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:55 am Anyone use this?
https://pharmacy.amazon.com/
I used Amazon pharmacy this spring for my maintenance drugs while waiting for my Medicare drug benefit to be processed. Amazon did a great job. Prices were low and it was easy to get a pharmacist on the phone. Needless to say, delivery was less than 48 hours.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

sport wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:10 pm
wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:42 am
The Rx was a nasal spray. When I used it, I could tell it was different than in the past. My Dr. told me not to use it. The package specified a temperature range. That range was "probably" exceeded while in the custody of the post office system, but there was no way to prove it. There did not seem to be any other likely explanation.
Well let's hope I don't have that issue. Seems like they should have resolved that. Sad thing is I pay cash for a lot of my scripts because it's cheaper to do so. My nasal spray (Generic flonase) is like $45 for 6 bottles.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

4nursebee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am I really do not like waiting in line, especially with people that might be sick. Pharmacies seem to take longer. I am somewhat aware that perhaps we could start doing business virtually and have medications delivered. Do any of you do this? What is the process like? Are meds properly refrigerated? Who do you suggest to use or avoid and why? What else is there to know? If it matters, nothing is controlled, one med needs not freeze or get too hot.
Thank you!
My doctors transmit my prescriptions electronically to my pharmacy, and my pharmacy sends me a text when my prescription is ready for me to pick up. I go to the pharmacy, spend two minutes picking it up, and then leave. I don't wait in lines. I am not exposed to sick people.
sport

Post by sport »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:58 pm
Thank you!
My doctors transmit my prescriptions electronically to my pharmacy, and my pharmacy sends me a text when my prescription is ready for me to pick up. I go to the pharmacy, spend two minutes picking it up, and then leave. I don't wait in lines. I am not exposed to sick people.
My pharmacy has a drive up window. I do not have to go in if I do not wish to.
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

I use ExpressScripts, which is what BlueCross/BlueShield of TN wants people on chronic meds to use. Always quick, automatic refills (3 months at a time), have options to split payments if your meds are expensive, etc. Never had a problem. Only issue is when a shipment is sent in the summer (Georgia heat), my wife has to listen for the mail truck to get them. If not, they probably are exposed to 150 degree heat sitting inside our black mailbox.
bacon4retirement

Post by bacon4retirement »

wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:26 am
bacon4retirement wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:11 am My employer health plan just switched to Express Scripts, and they have been a pain to switch all medications over to a 90 day supply. I had to contact each doctor I had a 30 day prescription from, and ask them to resubmit it as a 90 day supply.
With my previous mail order pharmacy, all I had to do was contact the mail order pharmacy to switch my prescriptions from a local pharmacy with a 30 day supply over to a 90 day mail order pharmacy. Since my doctor's office seemed pretty annoyed with Express Scripts, it seems like Express Scripts was doing something different than other pharmacies.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

bacon4retirement wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:31 am
wfrobinette wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:26 am
With my previous mail order pharmacy, all I had to do was contact the mail order pharmacy to switch my prescriptions from a local pharmacy with a 30 day supply over to a 90 day mail order pharmacy. Since my doctor's office seemed pretty annoyed with Express Scripts, it seems like Express Scripts was doing something different than other pharmacies.
The old mail order pharmacy probably called the doctor on your behalf. No pharmacy can just change a script without a doctors order.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

A Costco employee told me that all their U.S. pharmacies are open to non-members (something about Federal law). If your Costco checks cards at the door, just say you're using the pharmacy. However, I did not find my cost to be any less than CVS. That's probably a factor of your insurance, co-pays, and your insurance negotiation with the pharmacy. The service at my D.C. area Costco pharmacy is exceptional.