Ear Buds - problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Laurencita

Ear Buds - problems

Post by Laurencita »

Wondering if I can be the only one?

I have tried about 6 different sets of earbuds in order to listen to podcasts and music and none of them will stay in my ears - not even for a few seconds - even when I try to smallest ear tips in the set that come with the package - not even when I attempt to secure them with the ear hooks that come as part of the design - the hooks are way too big to even sit on my ears.

Has anyone else had this problem? did you resolve it? find a model that worked for you?
Mel Lindauer

Re: Ear Buds - problems

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Laurencita wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:36 pm Wondering if I can be the only one?

I have tried about 6 different sets of earbuds in order to listen to podcasts and music and none of them will stay in my ears - not even for a few seconds - even when I try to smallest ear tips in the set that come with the package - not even when I attempt to secure them with the ear hooks that come as part of the design - the hooks are way too big to even sit on my ears.

Has anyone else had this problem? did you resolve it? find a model that worked for you?
I've experienced problems with them falling out of my ears, but just not quite as fast as you.

I do product reviews for Best Buy's Tech Insider Network, so I've tested a lot of different sets, and have experienced the same problems falling out of my ears with all of them. Finally got an over-and-behind-the-ear set. They still fall out, but because they're over and behind the ear, they just don't get lost like the others have on occasion. So again, I don't seem to do well with things that go into my ear.

The latest product that I reviewed was JLabs JBuds Frames. Instead of going into your ears, they clip onto the frames of your eyeglasses or sunglasses and direct the sound into your ears without anything actually going in your ears. They've become my go-to earbuds.

Here's the full description of the product: JLab - JBuds Frames Wireless Audio for Your Glasses - Black

Hope that helps.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
shess

Post by shess »

My earbuds stay in. Mostly. I wouldn't run in them, but walking seems to work. Eating doesn't work, they fall right out :-).

Anyhow, I saw something like this:
https://vavolo.net/products/anti-fallin ... 4050522305
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Falling ... 092HXYR9Y/
in an advert a few months ago, and was wondering if it would be helpful. You can find them at varying price points on eBay and the like, and they look pretty much the same.
mrc

Post by mrc »

I have to wear Apple AirPods upside down. Inserted in the normal orientation (battery tube down), they fall right out. I wedge them with the tube at an upward angle, about 45 degrees. I might look like Shrek, but they stay in pretty well. If someone posts an over-the-ear product whose reviews don't suggest the units break after a couple uses, I'd sure try it. During the winter walks, my watch cap holds them in great!
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You could also try some different ear tips and see if that makes a difference. I switched out the tips on my Airpods for these memory foam tips that are more comfortable and stay in better:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087NY9T66
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

mrc wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm I have to wear Apple AirPods upside down. Inserted in the normal orientation (battery tube down), they fall right out. I wedge them with the tube at an upward angle, about 45 degrees. I might look like Shrek, but they stay in pretty well. If someone posts an over-the-ear product whose reviews don't suggest the units break after a couple uses, I'd sure try it. During the winter walks, my watch cap holds them in great!
Take a look at Epic AIF Sport ANC True Wireless. They worked for me when none of the other earbuds did. However, I do prefer the JLabs JBud Frames because I don't like things in my ears.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I have the same issue and use the ones that have over the ear loops. No problems anymore.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I have never liked ear buds, just go with over the ear.
dstac

Post by dstac »

I have similar problems with most in-ear options. Whenever possible I’ve gone with headphones that have some type of ear wrap or clasp, typically listed as “sport.” Have the AUKEY EP-T32 currently. They are fine and got them for ~$35 on Amazon, though can’t find them now. A review instead: https://headphonesaddict.com/aukey-ep-t32-review/
Bogle64Pilot

Post by Bogle64Pilot »

I use the Powerbeats pro for workouts such as lifting, riding my Peloton, etc. They are the best earbuds I’ve ever had.
ironman

Post by ironman »

Me too. I have ran thousands of miles in Sennheiser’s PMX 686 SPORTS, they are fantastic. I normally get three or four years out of a set. I'm on my third set now.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/sport-earb ... s-pmx-686g
Ozonewanderer

Post by Ozonewanderer »

I guess we all have the same problem on this thread. Me too. I bought fancy, expensive B&W earphones and one of them kept falling out. Apple earphones do not stay.

I found earphones that works for me with the smallest earpiece:
Monoprice True Wireless Earphones Bluetooth 5 (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42010)

They work great for my purposes which is mostly riding my bicycle and listening to Planet Money podcasts. I don't use them for high quality music because I have a fancy, expensive stereo system, but they sound good anyway.

And guess what? They cost $14.99! You cannot go wrong just trying them out: 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Free Shipping, and1 Year Replacement Warranty.

I guess I sound like an ad, but I am just that impressed and happy with them.

ps.
If you are not familiar with Monoprice they are well known for their good quality and low prices.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

You are not alone!

DH uses the earbuds without trouble about them falling out.

OTOH, I cannot get them to fit such that they even have a chance to stay in. And they feel awful, which could obviously be because they aren't fitting "right"... but that's the problem to start with.
There were some little Bose buds that had some sort of extra "bit" that supposedly caused them to wedge in nicely. I could not get them situated right, no matter how many times I tried. (DH had no trouble with these either.)

I only use earphones when not active, such as listening on Zoom (especially for our opera lessons) or when traveling. I find the "bulky" Bose "over the ear" nicely padded earphones to be incredibly comfortable, plus they avoid any sound bleed through the back of the ear, etc.
And I don't seem to have trouble falling asleep with them on, for example on airplanes, even when in a nice flatbed.

I've given up even trying any sort of earbud, with "hook" or not, etc.
I just hate them all. Uncomfortable and they just don't work for me.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:52 pm

You are not alone!

DH uses the earbuds without trouble about them falling out.

OTOH, I cannot get them to fit such that they even have a chance to stay in. And they feel awful, which could obviously be because they aren't fitting "right"... but that's the problem to start with.
There were some little Bose buds that had some sort of extra "bit" that supposedly caused them to wedge in nicely. I could not get them situated right, no matter how many times I tried. (DH had no trouble with these either.)

I only use earphones when not active, such as listening on Zoom (especially for our opera lessons) or when traveling. I find the "bulky" Bose "over the ear" nicely padded earphones to be incredibly comfortable, plus they avoid any sound bleed through the back of the ear, etc.
And I don't seem to have trouble falling asleep with them on, for example on airplanes, even when in a nice flatbed.

I've given up even trying any sort of earbud, with "hook" or not, etc.
I just hate them all. Uncomfortable and they just don't work for me.

RM
That is funny, the Bose earbuds with a in the ear hook are one of the few that stay in my ear and I can exercise with.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I am old school, metal and have an earlier version of Marley Headphones, they seem the only one who makes headphones with metal headband. This will stay on your head.

Of course you may need to get lighting adapter to use with current Iphone 12.

https://www.amazon.com/House-Marley-EM- ... B01LXWLMXJ

Here is Skull candy's Bluetooth version with cable and plug, I have not used this

https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluet ... GMZK&psc=1
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:03 pm I have never liked ear buds, just go with over the ear.
Me too.
Topic Author
Laurencita

Post by Laurencita »

Unscientifically, it would appear there is a certain percentage of the population that will likely never be able to get a good fit with earbuds. :(
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

Bogle64Pilot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:26 pm I use the Powerbeats pro for workouts such as lifting, riding my Peloton, etc. They are the best earbuds I’ve ever had.
I’ll second this. My wife uses these and I’ve tried them too. I would focus on earbuds with over the ear loops.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Can anyone recommend a noise cancellation over the ear Bluetooth for mowing the lawn? I have same issues with earbuds falling out. Monoprice would be great!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

BashDash wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:27 am Can anyone recommend a noise cancellation over the ear Bluetooth for mowing the lawn? I have same issues with earbuds falling out. Monoprice would be great!
I think Bose came out with this a few years ago.

I love the over-the-ear (with nice padding) for the noise-cancelling feature. There's no noise bleeding in from behind the ear.
But I haven't tried the Bluetooth version.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Thanks research med. I didn't explain properly....I was thinking little "hooks" over each ear instead of the bigger headphones I think bose makes.....
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I have an older set of bose wired buds that have a clip of sorts that fits inside the outer ear and keeps them in place, they work well if I can avoid catching the wire. If I do they just come loose but don't fall out. The current rev is wireless BT with noise canceling. Yet even more $$$.
Regards | Bob
mrc

Post by mrc »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:43 pm
mrc wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:39 pm I have to wear Apple AirPods upside down. Inserted in the normal orientation (battery tube down), they fall right out. I wedge them with the tube at an upward angle, about 45 degrees. I might look like Shrek, but they stay in pretty well. If someone posts an over-the-ear product whose reviews don't suggest the units break after a couple uses, I'd sure try it. During the winter walks, my watch cap holds them in great!
Take a look at Epic AIF Sport ANC True Wireless. They worked for me when none of the other earbuds did. However, I do prefer the JLabs JBud Frames because I don't like things in my ears.
This thread's going in the reference file for when my current pair die. Much thanks.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

I have problems with most earbuds not fitting in my ears, causing a lot of discomfort and the earbuds falling out. However, the (relatively junky) earbuds that have come for free with my last two Samsung phones (s6 and s10) have, for whatever reason, not had this problem and fit comfortably with minimal falling out. It may be a matter of trying different ones to see if you can find any that fit well.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch »

Aftershokz bone conduction headphones! My wife had the same problem as you so I bought her a pair. I tried them out and liked them so much that I bought a pair. They're fantastic! Easy to buy on Amazon.

Big Dutch
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Big Dutch do you think those aftershocks would be good for mowing the lawn listening to a podcast? Amazon reviews said they would be with earplugs in.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I have the Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling earbuds and they feel like a dream compared to the original AirPods. I also periodically borrow my wife’s AirPod Pros. The Bose is superior to both in staying in the ear, it is far more comfortable, and the sound quality is better. It is not as quite as smooth with regard to connection to the device as the Apple products but that is the only negative I’ve experienced with them.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Big Dutch wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm Aftershokz bone conduction headphones! My wife had the same problem as you so I bought her a pair. I tried them out and liked them so much that I bought a pair. They're fantastic! Easy to buy on Amazon.

Big Dutch
Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. I bought and have been using the Aftershokz and like them a lot so far.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
njdealguy

Post by njdealguy »

I have Samsung Galaxy Pro Buds that are prone to becoming loose or falling off my ears eventually.

And it has a dumb feature that can't be disabled where during calls if touched in the wrong way if I'm trying to adjust them to secure in ear it hangs up the call, happened a few times during work meetings which was very embarrassing. I only use them for listening to music now and use Bose QC35 headphones for work meetings!
Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch »

HootingSloth wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:54 pm
Big Dutch wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:00 pm Aftershokz bone conduction headphones! My wife had the same problem as you so I bought her a pair. I tried them out and liked them so much that I bought a pair. They're fantastic! Easy to buy on Amazon.

Big Dutch
Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. I bought and have been using the Aftershokz and like them a lot so far.
I'm glad you like them! I just bought a pair for my brother.

Enjoy!
Big Dutch
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Custom earmolds will do the trick, but make economic sense only for quality earbuds used on stage where you're moving around and might dislodge universal-fit models, or for earbuds used for serious critical listening to recorded music. You'd go to an audiologist to obtain impressions.

Here are a few vendors/models:

https://pro.meeaudio.com/products/custo ... itors.html

https://alclair.com/product/esm-13-driv ... e-monitor/

https://www.64audio.com/pages/iems

https://inearz.com/collections/custom-fit

https://pro.ultimateears.com/collections/pro
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I like the wired Etymotic Research ER4XR earphones. They are inserted into the ear canal. https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Researc ... 86B4&psc=1
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:13 pm I like the wired Etymotic Research ER4XR earphones. They are inserted into the ear canal. https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Researc ... 86B4&psc=1
I heartily agree! They are fantastic and they will NOT fall out of your ears. However, some caveats:

1. They are inserted very deeply into your ear canal. Some people don't like this.
2. They're wired.
3. Some people complain about cable noise when using this while active.

But, oh the sound....

If you want to spend less and get a lot of the same benefits, try the ER2XR, they also get very good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Researc ... op?ie=UTF8
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

chuckb84 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:32 pm
Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:13 pm I like the wired Etymotic Research ER4XR earphones. They are inserted into the ear canal. https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Researc ... 86B4&psc=1
I heartily agree! They are fantastic and they will NOT fall out of your ears. However, some caveats:

1. They are inserted very deeply into your ear canal. Some people don't like this.
2. They're wired.

But, oh the sound....

If you want to spend less and get a lot of the same benefits, try the ER2XR, they also get very good reviews.

Yes, and also, because of the design of the tips and the deeper insertion, their noise-reduction is better than that of active noise-cancellation. And because they’re not Bluetooth you get the full benefit of noiseless hi-def music streaming that’s become more common, if you’re a streamer, I am. Also I bought a DAC to plug them into. (It’s not possible to stream at the higher bitrate over Bluetooth).

I was able to snag a pair for only $139 seven months back from Adorama but that sale is over. But you could watch their website in case the sale is ever repeated. So now I have two pair. Actually one pair of the ER4XR (extended bass response) and one pair of the ER4SR (studio reference).

One drawback is that if you wear them for a long time your ear canals get itchy. So I take them out briefly when that happens. But it’s worth it for the superb sound.

I had an older pair of Etymotics for 15 years before I bought these.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:54 pm
chuckb84 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:32 pm

2. They're wired.

But, oh the sound....

Yes, and also, because of the design of the tips and the deeper insertion, their noise-reduction is better than that of active noise-cancellation. And because they’re not Bluetooth you get the full benefit of noiseless hi-def music streaming that’s become more common, if you’re a streamer, I am. Also I bought a DAC to plug them into. (It’s not possible to stream at the higher bitrate over Bluetooth).

I was able to snag a pair for only $139 seven months back from Adorama but that sale is over. But you could watch their website in case the sale is ever repeated. So now I have two pair. Actually one pair of the ER4XR (extended bass response) and one pair of the ER4SR (studio reference).

One drawback is that if you wear them for a long time your ear canals get itchy. So I take them out briefly when that happens. But it’s worth it for the superb sound.

I had an older pair of Etymotics for 15 years before I bought these.
You're spot on with every comment, including the itchy ear canals. I have a 15 year old pair of ER4P (with the resistor adapter that makes it an ER4s). The ER4XR is even better. I just got the THX Onyx DAC/Amp, and WOW. With high bit rate streams and this tiny DAC and the ER4XR the sound is both portable and just overwhelmingly good. The Onyx is worth a look if you are in the market....