Portable / Window AC

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Portable / Window AC

Post by Mr. Rumples »

For reasons I will spare you, unless asked, I am going to be without central air for up to two weeks this summer while some work goes on around the house. My plan is to get by with a window unit for the bedroom, pray for a not horrid summer and dress in natural fibers.

So, which type of AC unit to get: a window unit or one that is on wheels. I like the idea of the latter. Anyone have insights? The cost isn't the prime concern.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electron ... /314714112

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electron ... /300422895
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
prd1982

Re: Portable / Window AC

Post by prd1982 »

Consumer reports doesn’t think much of portable units.

https://www.consumerreports.org/portab ... f-hot-air/
mrc

Post by mrc »

If you choose portable, go up a size to compensate for the compressor being within the conditioned space. These are a compromise and don't work as well as window units. I'd go with the window unit even though it's a bit more difficult to install.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Dmslax45

Post by Dmslax45 »

We don’t have central air and use portable units for the front of our house, as they look a little nicer from the outside than the window units. They work fine, but in my opinion not as well as the window units. They are also less durable and have gone through 2-3 in the same time as our window units. Another downside is they take up floor space, depending on the issue.

We will hopefully be getting CAC before it becomes an issue, but if we need to replace one of the portable units, I’d probably go with the window unit.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 am For reasons I will spare you, unless asked, I am going to be without central air for up to two weeks this summer while some work goes on around the house. My plan is to get by with a window unit for the bedroom, pray for a not horrid summer and dress in natural fibers.

So, which type of AC unit to get: a window unit or one that is on wheels. I like the idea of the latter. Anyone have insights? The cost isn't the prime concern.

I have a location where I only have portable units on wheels for A/C. Window units are not an option.
I have some that are the Whynter brand and some which are Honeywell brand. Each of these comes in versions which either do or do not have an added heating function in addition to the standard cooling/dehumidifying/fan functions. I have some of each.
The Whynter models (14,000 BTU) I have are this one.
The Honeywell models (12,000 BTU) I have are this one.
The Whynter has two hoses, and all the water drawn out of the air is expelled by evaporation going out one of the air hoses. I have never had it stop functioning because of a full chamber of water that had to be emptied.
The Honeywell has one hose and yet somehow the newest one never has to have its water chamber emptied.
But some portable A/C units stop cooling and switch to fan mode somewhat often when their water chambers fill up.

Figure out how much cooling capacity you need.
Yes, they take up space, they are somewhat noisy, they aren't as good as central A/C. But they also don't put stress on your window frame. But they do cool the room and are well worth it.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:23 am For reasons I will spare you, unless asked, I am going to be without central air for up to two weeks this summer while some work goes on around the house. My plan is to get by with a window unit for the bedroom, pray for a not horrid summer and dress in natural fibers.

Generally, portable units cost much more than window A/C units of equal cooling capacity.
Cheap portable units can be dismal.
Cheap window A/C units can be loud and vibrate the wall, and also not cool effectively as does a cheap portable unit.
A good quiet and efficient window unit properly sized to the room (or somewhat oversized) is a great idea.

Best pro: of a good portable unit.
It's portable, can be moved to any room or area, can be used elsewhere later.
Con of portable unit: water has to be emptied, venting can be tricky. Expensive (for a good one). Loud.
Venting can give off tremendous heat that radiates off the vent surfaces (not just the output), so as much as it's cooling the area, it also contributes to its own heat given off.

Con of Window unit:
Depending on installation and the window, it can be an easy install or a tricky one.

Thoughts after using both of these types of units for many decades.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
eigenperson

Post by eigenperson »

Window units are strongly preferable. Use one if you can.

One-hose portable units are inferior because they use conditioned, interior air to cool the condenser and then expel it as exhaust. This reduces pressure in the house, which draws in hot, unconditioned air from the outside, undoing much of the work of the air conditioner.

Two-hose portable units are a bit better. They draw in air from the outside through one hose, and expel it through the other. But there are still significant losses compared to a window unit. The condenser is still located inside your house, and a lot of heat will leak out.

For example, GrowthSeeker mentioned two units. The Honeywell one-hose unit (misleadingly labeled as 12000 BTU) actually provides 6500 BTU of cooling under the newer standard, which takes these effects into account. Almost half of the cooling performance is canceled out by the influx of warm air from the outside. The Whytner model (misleadingly labeled as 14000 BTU) actually provides 9000 BTU of cooling under the newer standard. You get the noise, energy usage, and cost of a 12000 or 14000 BTU air conditioner, but the effectiveness of a 6500 or 9000 BTU air conditioner.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I know you mentioned that you only need for a couple of weeks. You might check with a place like Rent-a-Center. Of course their rent rates will be high. And it assumes the work really is completed in a couple of weeks.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Thank y'all for your insight. While I will only need it for a few weeks, I thought I might get one anyway as a backup incase of a failure of the main unit. It seems like the window unit is the way to go, though I am still a bit fuzzy on it not draining outside, though some folks say they drill a hole or on some models there is a way to do it. I over analyze everything it seems.

But in any event, the HVAC company called today - Saturday of all days - to schedule to come out and give me a firm price on the job. They said they will probably have a window unit to loan me and they will set it up. With the exception of the time I lived in CO, I've been their customer since 1990; I guess that has paid off.

Again, thanks.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
musicmom

Post by musicmom »

We lived pretty well with window units in our very old home for decades.
Chose tiny 5000 BTU units in three bedrooms and one large unit on main floor that cooled LR, DR, kitchen.
We were able to stack the small units in a large closet in wardrobe in winter.
Large unit went in garage.
So, twice a year effort did give us excellent results.

Our small retirement house has central air. Enjoying the convenience tho electric bill reflects cooling entire house rather than rooms in use.

For a few weeks Id suggest a window unit in BR. No way we could sleep in summer heat. Maybe one other in living area. Two weeks is a pretty short time frame.
Good luck!
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 am It seems like the window unit is the way to go, though I am still a bit fuzzy on it not draining outside, though some folks say they drill a hole or on some models there is a way to do it.
Don't drill a hole in the rear housing of a window A/C to drain the pan. The water is meant to pool there and be carried up on the fan blades to splash the fin array in order to increase cooling efficiency. The hot fin array releases its heat into the ambient air, and water on it will evaporate and keep it cooler, allowing it to release more heat into the already hot outside air.

Some manufacturers offer a removable plug because owners may be annoyed by the splashing sound and attempt to have the unit warrantied. You can take the plug out (or drill your hole) if you don't like the water noise, but you'll pay for it at the electrical meter and with reduced cooling performance inside.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

The dripping window unit many of us grew up with is a thing of the past for most newer units. Dripping all the condensate away is old tech. The previous post by kevinf is spot on. Let the condensate do its thing through forced evaporation.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

You should however spray the heat exchanger fins with a coil cleaner annually to keep build-up from reducing performance.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Web-19-oz-Condenser-Coil-Cleaner-WCOIL19/301847065
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 am Thank y'all for your insight. While I will only need it for a few weeks, I thought I might get one anyway as a backup incase of a failure of the main unit. It seems like the window unit is the way to go, though I am still a bit fuzzy on it not draining outside, though some folks say they drill a hole or on some models there is a way to do it. I over analyze everything it seems.

But in any event, the HVAC company called today - Saturday of all days - to schedule to come out and give me a firm price on the job. They said they will probably have a window unit to loan me and they will set it up. With the exception of the time I lived in CO, I've been their customer since 1990; I guess that has paid off.

Again, thanks.
That's really nice service.
Glad it worked out for you.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

This may not be an issue for OP, but some HOAs do not allow window A/C units.
JustSomeGuy155

Post by JustSomeGuy155 »

I recently bought the LP1419IVSM (also available on Home Depot) after reading the recommendation on wirecutter. So far I'm very pleased. It's much quieter than both my existing window and portable units despite sitting inside. It's taller but is more compact. Also connects to the internet so I can turn it on from my phone before I get home. Delivery from Home Depot is a nightmare if you're used to more efficient online shopping.

Why portable? It's for a room which has only 2 windows in the corner, so I prefer not to block up with an AC unit that's not used ~10 months per year.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

shunkman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:30 pm This may not be an issue for OP, but some HOAs do not allow window A/C units.
Probably there wouldn't be an issue due to construction in progress.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

musicmom wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 am We lived pretty well with window units in our very old home for decades.
Chose tiny 5000 BTU units in three bedrooms and one large unit on main floor that cooled LR, DR, kitchen.
We were able to stack the small units in a large closet in wardrobe in winter.
Large unit went in garage.
So, twice a year effort did give us excellent results.

Our small retirement house has central air. Enjoying the convenience tho electric bill reflects cooling entire house rather than rooms in use.

For a few weeks Id suggest a window unit in BR. No way we could sleep in summer heat. Maybe one other in living area. Two weeks is a pretty short time frame.
Good luck!
A "large unit" might require more current than is available, so sometimes two smaller units on separate circuits are the only choice.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Again, thanks. No, I don't live in an HOA so that's not an issue.
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

I recently purchased a small 8k unit to have as a backup if power goes out or our ac goes out. After testing with our generator we are going to leave it out master bedroom for the summer because my SO likes to sleep in an icebox.

We chose a midea u shape and it is much quieter than I expected and didn’t stress my little 2200 watt generator when testing. These u shape are like mini split units and I think the compressor is variable speed so it doesn’t clunk on and off hence being able to work better with a generator.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Reamus294 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 pm I recently purchased a small 8k unit to have as a backup if power goes out or our ac goes out. After testing with our generator we are going to leave it out master bedroom for the summer because my SO likes to sleep in an icebox.

We chose a midea u shape and it is much quieter than I expected and didn’t stress my little 2200 watt generator when testing. These u shape are like mini split units and I think the compressor is variable speed so it doesn’t clunk on and off hence being able to work better with a generator.
I had a decent size house in Maryland with multiple stories and my bedroom was upstairs. Since I was usually the only one living in the house I put in a window unit in my bedroom because I like to sleep with the temperature cool. This way I kept the house around 78 on the main level (where the thermostat was location) and then the window AC kept the bedroom nice and cool. Otherwise I would need to really crank the temperature down because upstairs was always a few degrees warmer and I would have been cooling the entire house while only using a small part of it.

One of many reasons why I prefer single story homes.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
ZIP2C

Post by ZIP2C »

kevinf wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:48 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 am It seems like the window unit is the way to go, though I am still a bit fuzzy on it not draining outside, though some folks say they drill a hole or on some models there is a way to do it.
Don't drill a hole in the rear housing of a window A/C to drain the pan. The water is meant to pool there and be carried up on the fan blades to splash the fin array in order to increase cooling efficiency. The hot fin array releases its heat into the ambient air, and water on it will evaporate and keep it cooler, allowing it to release more heat into the already hot outside air.

Some manufacturers offer a removable plug because owners may be annoyed by the splashing sound and attempt to have the unit warrantied. You can take the plug out (or drill your hole) if you don't like the water noise, but you'll pay for it at the electrical meter and with reduced cooling performance inside.
We purchased a similar window unit (Frigidaire FFRE0833S1E) in 2019. At first I was confused why there was water being expelled between the external fins. I soon figured out the reason was efficiency. My unit has a drain hole, but it is 1-2 inches above the water reservoir. It expels excess water. Rain will enter the unit through external vents and has to drain out somewhere. A word of caution if you remove the unit at the end of the season – Make sure to do it after an extended dry period when the AC has not been run. If you don't, you will will find a puddle of water on the floor at your feet from the remaining water sloshing around the water reservoir. I found out the hard way.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Portable AC units have their place, but they're much, much less efficient than window units for the reasons explained in this video. Short version: window units keep all of the heat exchangers on the exterior, so they don't warm up the room you just tried to cool. Portable units are contained within the room they are trying to cool, and in fact uses the same air it just cooled to blow the excess heat outside with a duct.
Topic Author
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Project is done and was without central AC for just one night - the vendors* were able to coordinate. Borrowed a window unit. I forgot how easy they were to install. I'll get one to keep for an emergency.

(The old septic tank not used since the 1960's collapsed - put in the 50's; the house was flipped and they put the heat pump where the backhoe was going. For those with old septic tanks, all the septic tank companies I talked to said they are getting calls more and more about these old tanks (concrete) failing. Fortunately, no one was walking on it.)
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

prd1982 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 am I know you mentioned that you only need for a couple of weeks. You might check with a place like Rent-a-Center. Of course their rent rates will be high. And it assumes the work really is completed in a couple of weeks.
+1

https://www.rentacenter.com/en/applianc ... ers/c/2010

$30 per week in my area-they will install and pick up.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)