Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

I need to replace a carpet in my walkout basement. It flooded by the sliding glass door twice and this, the second time, I pulled up the carpet and it's all moldy underneath. I want to keep the replacement cheap. I plan to sell the house in less than a year and I was going to replace that carpet anyway since it was worn, but now I want to replace it now because I don't want to live with mold. I plan to replace it with laminate, tile, or something that can get wet and will look nice enough when it's time to sell.

Anyway, are those big national carpet and flooring companies a good deal? I hate to say it, but price is more important than quality to me since I am moving and who knows if the people who move in will keep what I put down. I figure maybe they can get good deals on materials since they buy in bulk. But I am just guessing.

As for the water getting in. It's a mystery to me. I've lived here 11 years now and it's only happened twice... both in the last 6 months. I suspect it's my neighbors yard. I live in a townhouse and he regraded his yard last fall and paved the whole thing. His yard is a couple of feet away from my sliding glass door. I suspect water builds up by the door and comes in though the weep holes. But I've never been at home both times this happened to see exactly what's going on.
rebellovw
Posts: 1123
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by rebellovw »

If you are going to sell in less than a year - don't get carpet.

You should try to fix the flood issue - if the house is worth something - getting it cleaned up and some solid floor surface would be ideal - it will help selling the house.

But if it is an ongoing problem - you will have to disclose that if it isn't fixed.

I had a 900 sqft condo done in the premium waterproof vinyl. Looked great - and the place sold right away. It isn't meant for standing water - but just a bit of water - say from snow on your shoes - or possibly your situation where a little water comes in and hits the surface. That stuff cost 5K- I picked them based on reviews and trust me I worked them - they had to completely redo some sections that had a hump in the subfloor - they had to address that - in the end the job was done really well.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

rebellovw wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 pm If you are going to sell in less than a year - don't get carpet.

You should try to fix the flood issue - if the house is worth something - getting it cleaned up and some solid floor surface would be ideal - it will help selling the house.

But if it is an ongoing problem - you will have to disclose that if it isn't fixed.

I had a 900 sqft condo done in the premium waterproof vinyl. Looked great - and the place sold right away. It isn't meant for standing water - but just a bit of water - say from snow on your shoes - or possibly your situation where a little water comes in and hits the surface. That stuff cost 5K- I picked them based on reviews and trust me I worked them - they had to completely redo some sections that had a hump in the subfloor - they had to address that - in the end the job was done really well.
My goal is to fix the problem if I can figure it out. But yeah, I am not getting carpet. My idea is to replace the current carpet ASAP with something water resistant like vinyl or tile or whatever. Then, try to figure out how the water is getting in. A friend of mine I talk to suggested getting the hose and spraying the door to see if water is coming in and where. But I would want to do that after the current, moldy carpet is gone. Thanks for the price too. That helps. I have about 600 square feet to do something with so a nice, prim vinyl would be in my budget assuming the same price you paid. Thanks!
rascott
Posts: 2674
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by rascott »

I got best prices on carpet from some small local shops. Not sure exact what national company you are referring to.
JSPECO9
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:34 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by JSPECO9 »

+1 for waterproof vinyl. I paid about $600 for about 600 sq ft like 3 years ago at Home Depot and installed it myself. Took me a few days so if you're not willing to put in work you'll need to pay for labor as well. 3 years later still looks great and handles light water very well. Also looks very nice.
Last edited by JSPECO9 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

rascott wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm I got best prices on carpet from some small local shops. Not sure exact what national company you are referring to.
I was asking about places like Empire.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

JSPECO9 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm +1 for waterproof vinyl. I paid about $600 for about 600 sq ft like 3 years ago at Home Depot and installed it myself. 3 years later still looks great and handles light water very well. Also looks very nice.
Good idea! I can't install it myself, I have no idea how and I am not that good of a handyman (and I know I can't move some of that heavy oak furniture on my own). But I think Home Depot hires installers. I'll add them to my list of quotes to get.
JSPECO9
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:34 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by JSPECO9 »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm
JSPECO9 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm +1 for waterproof vinyl. I paid about $600 for about 600 sq ft like 3 years ago at Home Depot and installed it myself. 3 years later still looks great and handles light water very well. Also looks very nice.
Good idea! I can't install it myself, I have no idea how and I am not that good of a handyman (and I know I can't move some of that heavy oak furniture on my own). But I think Home Depot hires installers. I'll add them to my list of quotes to get.
Yeah definitely buy it at Home Depot or Lowes and get the installers through them. Because flooring companies charge A LOT more for the floors themselves PLUS installation on top of the high prices. I remember they tried to sell me on "oh but this quality is much better than the ones you'll get at Home Depot or Lowes." But I, like yourself, wasn't too concerned with quality, as my wife is constantly wanting to change things around.
rascott
Posts: 2674
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by rascott »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:22 pm
rascott wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm I got best prices on carpet from some small local shops. Not sure exact what national company you are referring to.
I was asking about places like Empire.
Way, way higher than a basic local shop. You've got sales people that need paid, etc.

Find a small local place where you are dealing directly with the owner/ operator.
Last edited by rascott on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rascott
Posts: 2674
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by rascott »

JSPECO9 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm
Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm
JSPECO9 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm +1 for waterproof vinyl. I paid about $600 for about 600 sq ft like 3 years ago at Home Depot and installed it myself. 3 years later still looks great and handles light water very well. Also looks very nice.
Good idea! I can't install it myself, I have no idea how and I am not that good of a handyman (and I know I can't move some of that heavy oak furniture on my own). But I think Home Depot hires installers. I'll add them to my list of quotes to get.
Yeah definitely buy it at Home Depot or Lowes and get the installers through them. Because flooring companies charge A LOT more for the floors themselves PLUS installation on top of the high prices. I remember they tried to sell me on "oh but this quality is much better than the ones you'll get at Home Depot or Lowes." But I, like yourself, wasn't too concerned with quality, as my wife is constantly wanting to change things around.

I would never buy carpet/ flooring from a big box store.... unless it's in stock and ready to go. If they have to order it.... forget about it. They may tell you it's 1 week....and you'll be sitting there 8 weeks later with nothing.

Last time I attempted Lowe's I finally gave up after like 6 weeks of them missing their estimated date..... and they could never pin down any good reason.

Went to a local shop, talked with the owner. He called the mill and got the piece of carpet in 1 day. Installed two days later for less money than the "free" installation from Lowes.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

rascott wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:54 pm
JSPECO9 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm
Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm
JSPECO9 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:21 pm +1 for waterproof vinyl. I paid about $600 for about 600 sq ft like 3 years ago at Home Depot and installed it myself. 3 years later still looks great and handles light water very well. Also looks very nice.
Good idea! I can't install it myself, I have no idea how and I am not that good of a handyman (and I know I can't move some of that heavy oak furniture on my own). But I think Home Depot hires installers. I'll add them to my list of quotes to get.
Yeah definitely buy it at Home Depot or Lowes and get the installers through them. Because flooring companies charge A LOT more for the floors themselves PLUS installation on top of the high prices. I remember they tried to sell me on "oh but this quality is much better than the ones you'll get at Home Depot or Lowes." But I, like yourself, wasn't too concerned with quality, as my wife is constantly wanting to change things around.

I would never buy carpet/ flooring from a big box store.... unless it's in stock and ready to go. If they have to order it.... forget about it. They may tell you it's 1 week....and you'll be sitting there 8 weeks later with nothing.

Last time I attempted Lowe's I finally gave up after like 6 weeks of them missing their estimated date..... and they could never pin down any good reason.

Went to a local shop, talked with the owner. He called the mill and got the piece of carpet in 1 day. Installed two days later for less money than the "free" installation from Lowes.
Thanks for the tips. I found a one man shop, so to speak. I will get a quote from him too, but from what my neighbor told me, he tells the client to buy the flooring at whatever supplier (my neighbor did Home Depot) and he installs. I'll check out what HD has in stock. It can't hurt and they are just up the road from me.

Glad I asked because I always figured those big nationwide companies like Empire might be cheaper because they can buy in bulk. I'll get a quote from one big company like that, but I don't want to waste my time asking the others like 800 Carpet and Luna, etc if they aren't going to save me money.
presto987
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by presto987 »

I got the best pricing from a small local shop that had "Discount" in their name. They had a shop where they sold flooring, and you could also hire them to install it at a good price.
tibbitts
Posts: 13984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by tibbitts »

Is this thread referring to materials only or to materials plus installation?

My inclination is that if the original flooring is carpet, the floor is somewhat likely to have to be leveled before applying any kind of hard flooring, only based on my very limited experience. So if hiring someone I'd be concerned that installers wouldn't be budgeting for the extra materials and especially time required for leveling (including drying of the surface.)
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:48 pm Is this thread referring to materials only or to materials plus installation?

My inclination is that if the original flooring is carpet, the floor is somewhat likely to have to be leveled before applying any kind of hard flooring, only based on my very limited experience. So if hiring someone I'd be concerned that installers wouldn't be budgeting for the extra materials and especially time required for leveling (including drying of the surface.)
I am going to need someone to install for me. So it's both. Thanks for asking. And thanks for the tip about the floor maybe needing to be leveled. I hope that's not the case. I need to look up what that is and what it involves. If it's any help, the floors in all the basements of all the townhouses are finished walkout basements. It's how they were all built. It's not something upgraded later. Would the builder have leveled things?
tibbitts
Posts: 13984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by tibbitts »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:08 pm
tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:48 pm Is this thread referring to materials only or to materials plus installation?

My inclination is that if the original flooring is carpet, the floor is somewhat likely to have to be leveled before applying any kind of hard flooring, only based on my very limited experience. So if hiring someone I'd be concerned that installers wouldn't be budgeting for the extra materials and especially time required for leveling (including drying of the surface.)
I am going to need someone to install for me. So it's both. Thanks for asking. And thanks for the tip about the floor maybe needing to be leveled. I hope that's not the case. I need to look up what that is and what it involves. If it's any help, the floors in all the basements of all the townhouses are finished walkout basements. It's how they were all built. It's not something upgraded later. Would the builder have leveled things?
My home is a slab and the floors where not exactly level when new. You can't tell with padded carpet but when you put in tile with grout lines (real or imitation) it's obvious. With actual separate tiles you can do some leveling as they're installed but it's better to at least know the scope of the problem if any before starting. There are self-leveling compounds that can be used, but a lot of installers would probably just go over whatever is there whether the results looked exactly right or not.
rebellovw
Posts: 1123
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by rebellovw »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm
rebellovw wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 pm If you are going to sell in less than a year - don't get carpet.

You should try to fix the flood issue - if the house is worth something - getting it cleaned up and some solid floor surface would be ideal - it will help selling the house.

But if it is an ongoing problem - you will have to disclose that if it isn't fixed.

I had a 900 sqft condo done in the premium waterproof vinyl. Looked great - and the place sold right away. It isn't meant for standing water - but just a bit of water - say from snow on your shoes - or possibly your situation where a little water comes in and hits the surface. That stuff cost 5K- I picked them based on reviews and trust me I worked them - they had to completely redo some sections that had a hump in the subfloor - they had to address that - in the end the job was done really well.
My goal is to fix the problem if I can figure it out. But yeah, I am not getting carpet. My idea is to replace the current carpet ASAP with something water resistant like vinyl or tile or whatever. Then, try to figure out how the water is getting in. A friend of mine I talk to suggested getting the hose and spraying the door to see if water is coming in and where. But I would want to do that after the current, moldy carpet is gone. Thanks for the price too. That helps. I have about 600 square feet to do something with so a nice, prim vinyl would be in my budget assuming the same price you paid. Thanks!
Sure thing - mine was 5K because it was an entire condo - 2 bedrooms 2 closets, hallway and living room.
Flyer24
Moderator
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

Flyer24 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 am Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Thanks! That's where I thought I posted it, but I must have clicked on the wrong link.
User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 6003
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by lthenderson »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm My idea is to replace the current carpet ASAP with something water resistant like vinyl or tile or whatever. Then, try to figure out how the water is getting in.
So you are going to put down new flooring and then possibly create another mold situation while solving the leak problem? You should solve the problem first and THEN put down flooring. Just putting down flooring that isn't easily damaged from water doesn't mean mold won't grow.

If I bought the house after you by law disclosed the leak and said it was fixed, pulled up the new flooring and found mold underneath, I would probably come after you for remediation.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:24 am
Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm My idea is to replace the current carpet ASAP with something water resistant like vinyl or tile or whatever. Then, try to figure out how the water is getting in.
So you are going to put down new flooring and then possibly create another mold situation while solving the leak problem? You should solve the problem first and THEN put down flooring. Just putting down flooring that isn't easily damaged from water doesn't mean mold won't grow.

If I bought the house after you by law disclosed the leak and said it was fixed, pulled up the new flooring and found mold underneath, I would probably come after you for remediation.
Thanks for the cautionary info. The problem is I don't know what's causing it. It only happened twice, yesterday and once six months ago. Both times during flash floods and both times I wasn't home to witness anything. It doesn't happen during normal rain or even heavy rain and it never happened before during hurricanes and such. I am 99% sure the sliding glass door needs to be resealed and I am going to do that when I get the floor replaced. The only way I would be sure is to wait and see if we get a flash flood again or a hurricane and I can watch. But the floor is in terrible shape and I don't want to keep it 6 more months while I wait for a freak storm again.

I pulled up all the carpet and the concrete slab is dry. Even with continued rain, nothing is coming up though the slab or though the sliding glass door BUT right up next to the door, at the threshold, it looks damp. I can't tell since there is rotted wood there too that is soaked... it may be wicking out, but I wonder if it's moister from under the threshold. You'd never be able to see it if the carpet is down.

I am not selling the house until next May so if I seal the door and it doesn't leak again, I will assume it's fixed. If it does leak again, I will pull up the vinyl flooring and dry it out so it doesn't mold. I don't want to live with mold either. I just got back from a flooring store and it looks like the stuff just locks into place with a mallet, no glue or anything. So it seems easy to remove and replace. Well, relatively easy.
User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 6003
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by lthenderson »

Calico wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 am The only way I would be sure is to wait and see if we get a flash flood again or a hurricane and I can watch. But the floor is in terrible shape and I don't want to keep it 6 more months while I wait for a freak storm again.

I pulled up all the carpet and the concrete slab is dry. Even with continued rain, nothing is coming up though the slab or though the sliding glass door BUT right up next to the door, at the threshold, it looks damp. I can't tell since there is rotted wood there too that is soaked... it may be wicking out, but I wonder if it's moister from under the threshold. You'd never be able to see it if the carpet is down.
It sounds to me like the wooden frame of your sliding door has rotted out. (Assuming it is sitting on the same slab as the carpet and not on some adjacent wooden structure against the slab.) If so, sealing it is a short term solution at best and you probably need to replace the entire door. As others have mentioned, you don't have to wait for a storm to check things. Get a garden hose and soak it from the outside. But again, now that you know there is rot, it needs to be disclosed to buyers or it will look like you tried to hide it with new flooring and opens yourself up to lawsuits. Disclosing rot and a leak that may or may not be fixed will probably drive the value of your house down more than just purchasing a new door and getting the problem fixed.
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am
Calico wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 am The only way I would be sure is to wait and see if we get a flash flood again or a hurricane and I can watch. But the floor is in terrible shape and I don't want to keep it 6 more months while I wait for a freak storm again.

I pulled up all the carpet and the concrete slab is dry. Even with continued rain, nothing is coming up though the slab or though the sliding glass door BUT right up next to the door, at the threshold, it looks damp. I can't tell since there is rotted wood there too that is soaked... it may be wicking out, but I wonder if it's moister from under the threshold. You'd never be able to see it if the carpet is down.
It sounds to me like the wooden frame of your sliding door has rotted out. (Assuming it is sitting on the same slab as the carpet and not on some adjacent wooden structure against the slab.) If so, sealing it is a short term solution at best and you probably need to replace the entire door. As others have mentioned, you don't have to wait for a storm to check things. Get a garden hose and soak it from the outside. But again, now that you know there is rot, it needs to be disclosed to buyers or it will look like you tried to hide it with new flooring and opens yourself up to lawsuits. Disclosing rot and a leak that may or may not be fixed will probably drive the value of your house down more than just purchasing a new door and getting the problem fixed.
Thanks! Do you mean there is a wood piece between the door and the concrete that might be rotted? I tried to look, but it seems to me it's the vinyl door on concrete with some sort of caulking between. There is no wood that I can see except the wood pieces that the carpet was nailed to and they don't even touch the door, there is a good 1/4 inch gap. But I really don't know how these things are done. When it stops raining, I will do a hose and test the door too. That's a good idea.

Even if I fix it in good faith, which I intend to do because, I need to disclose this to buyers next year? Is there a limit on that? I had a leaky window that I replaced earlier this year. In that case, I replaced the window and surrounding wood. It hasn't leaked since then, do I need to tell them I had a leaky window? It just seems like the list of things I fixed would be awfully long and how far back do you make such a list?
ralph124cf
Posts: 2699
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by ralph124cf »

Calico wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:52 am
lthenderson wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 am
Calico wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 am The only way I would be sure is to wait and see if we get a flash flood again or a hurricane and I can watch. But the floor is in terrible shape and I don't want to keep it 6 more months while I wait for a freak storm again.

I pulled up all the carpet and the concrete slab is dry. Even with continued rain, nothing is coming up though the slab or though the sliding glass door BUT right up next to the door, at the threshold, it looks damp. I can't tell since there is rotted wood there too that is soaked... it may be wicking out, but I wonder if it's moister from under the threshold. You'd never be able to see it if the carpet is down.
It sounds to me like the wooden frame of your sliding door has rotted out. (Assuming it is sitting on the same slab as the carpet and not on some adjacent wooden structure against the slab.) If so, sealing it is a short term solution at best and you probably need to replace the entire door. As others have mentioned, you don't have to wait for a storm to check things. Get a garden hose and soak it from the outside. But again, now that you know there is rot, it needs to be disclosed to buyers or it will look like you tried to hide it with new flooring and opens yourself up to lawsuits. Disclosing rot and a leak that may or may not be fixed will probably drive the value of your house down more than just purchasing a new door and getting the problem fixed.
Thanks! Do you mean there is a wood piece between the door and the concrete that might be rotted? I tried to look, but it seems to me it's the vinyl door on concrete with some sort of caulking between. There is no wood that I can see except the wood pieces that the carpet was nailed to and they don't even touch the door, there is a good 1/4 inch gap. But I really don't know how these things are done. When it stops raining, I will do a hose and test the door too. That's a good idea.

Even if I fix it in good faith, which I intend to do because, I need to disclose this to buyers next year? Is there a limit on that? I had a leaky window that I replaced earlier this year. In that case, I replaced the window and surrounding wood. It hasn't leaked since then, do I need to tell them I had a leaky window? It just seems like the list of things I fixed would be awfully long and how far back do you make such a list?
It sounds like you are talking about the thin wooden carpet nailing strips that are probably nailed to your concrete floor. They are probably rotted from the water in the carpet.

I'm going to go against many other posters and recommend that the new flooring be ceramic tile set with mortar, NOT thinset or mastic. If thinset or mastic gets wet, your tiles will come up. Mortar, on the other hand, chemically bonds to the concrete of your basement floor and the tile, providing a very strong, and almost waterproof bond. This does not mean that it should be used for underwater applications, but a day or two of standing water will not hurt it. If you want something more waterproof, you could use porcelain tile, but this is more expensive and requires more skill to install right, so the installation will cost more.

Ralph
LittleMaggieMae
Posts: 865
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:22 pm
rascott wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm I got best prices on carpet from some small local shops. Not sure exact what national company you are referring to.
I was asking about places like Empire.
I'm gonna go with Buyer Beware as a response:

I was pressured (by relatives who had used Empire) to use Empire to quickly get carpeting into a rental. Not one of my better decisions. The cost "looks and feels" less expensive but it's not. When I priced out carpeting, padding, installation from other local sources my final bill from Empire was a tad bit higher than if I had contracted with another "dealer" or source. The problem was that the level of carpeting I chose from Empire was of lower quality than the level of carpeting I was comparing it to at the other dealer/sources.
They also did a crappy job of installing the carpet in one of the bedrooms - because the room was not a rectangle or square. They had to cut the carpeting to fit and they did it in the fastest easiest way - which meant there was seam in the middle of the "foot path" as you entered and moved around the room - rather than where the head of the bed would be. And yes the seam pulled apart over time.

The lower quality carpet and padding didn't matter so much in the bedrooms (I did get 5 years out of it) the carpet in the living room/high traffic daily use was another story. I wound up replacing it 2 years in. If I had chosen high end Empire carpeting I would have paid more than if I had shopped around and contracted with a local dealer (or Big Box store). :(

If all you care about is price, how fast it can be installed,have a square/retanglur room (no need to cut around anything or fit the carpet to the room shape) and that it look really good for a short period of time - go with Empire and have their cheapest/least expensive carpeting installed. It might also help if you are handy and spot fix any issues after they are done with the installation - because you will NEVER be able to get them to come back and fix anything.

FYI: A sibling used Empire (or a company like it) to install a "hardwood floor" - and he replaced it a few years later (because it had gotten damaged and looked terrible from routine use) with a "hardwood floor" that lasted 15 years. Both of the installations were some sort of vinyl or composite or "pella" or whatever "something" (I have real 75 year old hardwood floors and I live in the land of houses with real, old hardwood floors - I know what a well cared for hardwood floor looks and feels like. so I'm biased.)
Topic Author
Calico
Posts: 739
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Calico »

Thanks again!

I think my neighbor and I discovered a big part of the problem. We discovered it when it started pouring rain hard again and I saw a small torrent of water streaming from his side of the fence right by my sliding glass door. A downspout in his yard that had tubing on it somehow, when his deck and pavers and such were put in, got tucked up under the deck and was pointed towards the fence and the corner of my townhouse. Basically all the water from a roof was being deposited right in the corner in front of my sliding glass door. It would be the same effect as if I had no gutters, rain just pooling at the base of my house. He moved the tubing so it's directed to the back of the property (holding the tubing in place with cinder blocks) and now I am getting less water in my yard. That corner seems a lot dryer even though it's still raining.

I am still going to get the caulk between the sliding glass door and the cement resealed (I see no wood there and my door isn't wood either, so I don't think anything is rotted except the seal/caulk). I also have to replace some molding that I think might be rotted (I think the seeping was going on for months, but it never rained this hard and with this much water for me to notice before).

Anyway, you were right... I had Empire come out today and they wanted $4700 to replace the floor and stairs with luxury vinyl plank (again, to be clear after I get the damage and caulking fixed). I also went to a flooring store and contacted a handyman and materials from the store and his labor will cost under $2000. I am still going to check out Home Depot too. It's funny, the Empire guy came over and saw the samples I picked up from the flooring store and asked me about it. I told him that I was getting multiple quotes. He actually came out and said they would be the highest priced... but then he went on to tell me it was because of all of their great warranties. I don't think any warranty is worth twice the price though.
tibbitts
Posts: 13984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by tibbitts »

Calico wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 pm
Anyway, you were right... I had Empire come out today and they wanted $4700 to replace the floor and stairs with luxury vinyl plank (again, to be clear after I get the damage and caulking fixed). I also went to a flooring store and contacted a handyman and materials from the store and his labor will cost under $2000.
I think you're somewhat missing the appeal of having Empire or HD or whoever install the floors. You went to "a handyman" and got a quote for labor. First just finding a handyman who would give a quote could be problematic, but if you did, you could easily have gotten a labor-only quote for three times the amount you did. I've actually gotten quotes that varied by a factor of more than three for similar work. In one case I got six quotes, where all of them except one where between two and three times the amount of the lowest quote. So if I hadn't persisted and gotten that one last quote, I'd have paid double or more. But for each quote you may be taking time off work or otherwise inconveniencing yourself. I've repeated a similar process over and over with handyman work, electrical, hvac, etc. And almost invariably, when I find someone who does a good or outstanding job at a reasonable price, within a few years they're no longer in the business, so the whole process starts over. So while it may have worked out well for you in this case, I don't think we can take too much from the experience except that... it worked out for you in this case.
mptfan
Posts: 6603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by mptfan »

Calico wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:51 pm Glad I asked because I always figured those big nationwide companies like Empire might be cheaper because they can buy in bulk.
Do you know how much it costs to produce and air a national television ad campaign? Hint: it's very expensive.
pshonore
Posts: 7233
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by pshonore »

Have you considered Costco? They contract with Shaw and local flooring companies to install hardwood, carpet, tile, LVP, etc. You get a Costco cash card for 10% of the pre-tax cost and another 5.25% of the cost for BOA credit card rebate (assuming you have large balance at Merrill Edge). Their price before the discounts beat another local flooring company by a couple hundred $. And the local installer was great. YMMV.
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 6296
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

If you decide on LVP, you really, really need a level surface to install on

Leveling our floors were a real chore for our installers. Thankfully they put the time in and did a great job.

They also spotted some dampness on the previous floor padding. Slowed them down while we had a wall opened and repaired. a leak.

In your situation, OP, I would absolutely go with tile.If your issue does return, it shouldn't mean floor replacement.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
quantAndHold
Posts: 5716
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by quantAndHold »

I have a basement floor that floods once every five years or so. We intend to get it fixed when the foundation needs to be done, but the foundation doesn’t need to be done yet. Also, we’re not selling anytime soon and are capable of living with it this way for awhile. But it desperately needs a new floor. The tile that was installed in 1939 is pretty ratty. So, I asked a contractor I trust what to install. His suggestion was laminate flooring, because if the basement floods, the laminate can be pulled up to allow things to dry out, then just put back down.

We had half the basement done with the laminate they have at Costco. We waited until it went on sale, and had it done then. It looks great. When it goes on sale again, we’ll buy enough to do the rest of the basement.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 6003
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Are those big, national carpet and tile companies money savers?

Post by lthenderson »

Calico wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:52 am Thanks! Do you mean there is a wood piece between the door and the concrete that might be rotted? I tried to look, but it seems to me it's the vinyl door on concrete with some sort of caulking between. There is no wood that I can see except the wood pieces that the carpet was nailed to and they don't even touch the door, there is a good 1/4 inch gap. But I really don't know how these things are done. When it stops raining, I will do a hose and test the door too. That's a good idea.

Even if I fix it in good faith, which I intend to do because, I need to disclose this to buyers next year? Is there a limit on that? I had a leaky window that I replaced earlier this year. In that case, I replaced the window and surrounding wood. It hasn't leaked since then, do I need to tell them I had a leaky window? It just seems like the list of things I fixed would be awfully long and how far back do you make such a list?
Now that you have clarified it further, you aren't seeing rotten wood on the door at all, just the carpet tack strips. So in that case, it is probably just the seal that is failed and it sounds like you found out the problem and fixed it.

As for the disclosure, I haven't sold a house in awhile but I think when I did, it asked questions within a given timeframe, i.e., have you had any leaks/other issues in the last year and provides space for your remediation. But I'm sure this varies wildly depending on local laws.
Post Reply