Tires for 2012 Subaru Forester

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
justlearnin

Tires for 2012 Subaru Forester

Post by justlearnin »

Hello,

Just went to have air put in my tires and employee said my tires were showing dry rot, so need to replace. Any suggestions on what tires I would need. I mostly do city and some freeway driving. Never off road.

Car, otherwise is in good condition.

Thank you
dbr

Re: Tires for 2012 Subaru Forester

Post by dbr »

Do you live in a winter climate where traction on snow and ice is important? If so look up "all weather," not "all season," tires with a severe snow and ice rating. If you do not live in a climate where traction on unstable surfaces is important, then I don't know. All wheel drive and high clearance isn't a particular benefit in that case.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

When I buy tires, I just buy what the local tire place has in the size that fits my car. I really don't think it matters. If they have more than one tire or brand, then I pick Michelin over other brands, but I do not have Michelins on my car now since the place did not have Michelins that fit my car and I wasn't going to wait a week to get them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
justlearnin

Post by justlearnin »

Yes, I live in the pacific northwest, western Washington. Thank you for that suggestion, I would not have known the difference. Any ideas of brands, which ones are better than others. Last tires were bought at Discount Tires, and will be fine buying from them again, but not wedded to them.
dbr

Post by dbr »

justlearnin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:29 pm Yes, I live in the pacific northwest, western Washington. Thank you for that suggestion, I would not have known the difference. Any ideas of brands, which ones are better than others. Last tires were bought at Discount Tires, and will be fine buying from them again, but not wedded to them.
No, I don't have brand recommendations. I would imagine you can screen at DT or at Tire Rack for sure. I am getting close to new tires on a 2015 Outback and will probably try Tire Rack, but I don't know anything special. My guess is that you will run across Michelin and Nokian among others.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If you have "dry rot", then you have not changed your tires on this car in ages, if ever. How many miles do the tires have on them now? What brand and model are they? Are they M+S rated? I would think so. I don't think anyone would sell you a tire that was unsuitable for your car.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

livesoft wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 pm When I buy tires, I just buy what the local tire place has in the size that fits my car. I really don't think it matters. If they have more than one tire or brand, then I pick Michelin over other brands, but I do not have Michelins on my car now since the place did not have Michelins that fit my car and I wasn't going to wait a week to get them.
Couldn't disagree with this strategy more. All tires are not the same.

Michelin Defenders have advantages over most tires.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

justlearnin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm Hello,

Just went to have air put in my tires and employee said my tires were showing dry rot, so need to replace. Any suggestions on what tires I would need. I mostly do city and some freeway driving. Never off road.

Thank you
This is concerning. Dry rot indicates a lack of attention on your part and very risky driving. Places like Discount Tire will do a free inspection of your tires. Never go more than 6 years without inspecting annually, and always check the date code before you buy any tire. I won't buy a tire that is more than a few months old.

Consumer Reports rates tires. Their database is free from most library websites.

Consumer Reports TESTS tires. Many sites on the internet have consumer reviews. 99% of consumers don't know a thing about what they're reviewing. Did they conduct tests of the exact same road conditions, with the exact same car setup, on multiple sets of tires? No. Consumer Reports did.

The internets have led us down a path where opinions, many based on zero actual knowledge, are taken as facts. Think carefully when you look at a 5 star review of something that a person can't possibly have "tested".
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Tire Rack has good reviews of tires. Worth checking out.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm Michelin Defenders have advantages over most tires.
That's good because I have Michelin Defender on my other car that are less than a month old.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm
livesoft wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 pm When I buy tires, I just buy what the local tire place has in the size that fits my car. I really don't think it matters. If they have more than one tire or brand, then I pick Michelin over other brands, but I do not have Michelins on my car now since the place did not have Michelins that fit my car and I wasn't going to wait a week to get them.

Defenders aren't available for many cars, including mine. Going by TireRack, Michelin only produces snow tires for my car. So I don't think it's helpful to focus on only one brand.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Defenders aren't available for many cars, including mine. Going by TireRack, Michelin only produces snow tires for my car. So I don't think it's helpful to focus on only one brand.
I was making a point against someone saying basically that tires are all the same.

Michelin makes more than just the Defender. It's a premium brand, there are other good brands also. There's also brands that product good tires as well as lousy tires. That's why people need to look at a testing resource like Consumer Reports.
Gort

Post by Gort »

If you are a member, talk to the folks at Costco.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Tire Rack and CR are both good sources - you could use both...

:happy

116 listed for a 2012 Forester 2.5x limited
Top 4 consumercustomer rated were a Michelin CrossClimate, a Continental CrossContact, a Bridgestone and a Pirelli

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSear ... 0#allTitle

Tire Rack test results available for each.

Antidotally, a friend of ours has the GoodYear ASSURANCE WEATHERREADY on his 2014 Forester and really likes it. He has to drive in snow for work. Rated right after the Pirelli
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

livesoft

Post by livesoft »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:19 pm I was making a point against someone saying basically that tires are all the same.
That's an interesting interpretation of what I wrote. :) I do not believe that tires are all the same and I didn't write that. I do believe that all tires that would fit my car at the tire shops that I go to are excellent tires for my car. Tire places know that people look at tire ratings and reviews and the places that I have been to do not stock tires rated below the top 3 or 4 recommended tires. Yes, if one wanted a specific tire that was not in stock and one had time for them to get those tires - sometimes it only takes a few hours, sometimes more than a week --, then go ahead and wait.
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

justlearnin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 pm Hello,

Thank you
Went down rabbbit hole of research for my Forester and I bought Pirelli P6 (?) All Season. Very highly rated and good price. My local Goodyear mechanic ordered them for me. Waited 3 days or so. Very happy.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I second the idea to get all weather tires. I ran Firestone Weathergrip on our Forester purchased off Tirerack .
rgramma

Post by rgramma »

I installed the General Altimax RT43 almost two years ago on my 2011 Forester.

I had Michelins Premier LTXs before, but I can't seem to tell the difference. Well, other than the Michelin's wore out super fast...but that was before I fixed some alignment issues.

The RT43's are well reviewed on the Subaru forums and they beat out competitors in Tire Rack Testing among its price point peers.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=251

I got mine thru Tire Rack, but I'm pretty sure you can get them through Discount Tire. Free rotations are harder to come by when you don't purchase the tires from a brick and mortar location. The installer I chose won't do free rotations since I didn't purchase through them. Everybody should be able to price match Tire Rack or any other retailer.
Topic Author
justlearnin

Post by justlearnin »

I want to thank many of you for your insight and help. I really appreciate it. I have an appt for Sat to get my tires changed, and at least I can go there with some knowledge before I buy.

I do have to say I was stunned with some responses that were full of unwarranted assumptions. After all, I came on to this site for guidance, not derision

"If you have "dry rot", then you have not changed your tires on this car in ages, if ever. How many miles do the tires have on them now? What brand and model are they? Are they M+S rated? I would think so. I don't think anyone would sell you a tire that was unsuitable for your car." livesoft

Livesoft, a bit presumptive wouldn't say? In fact I bought these tires in Dec 2016. Oddly enough the receipt didn't show my mileage, so today I called Discount Tires and they hadn't recorded the mileage of tires. So I looked at the repair receipt from the mechanic that repairs my car which occurred in April 2017, and at that time I had 43,463 miles. Today I have just over 71,000 miles, so these tires have -30,000 miles on them! They are Yokohama tires. And, yes, they are M+S rated. These tires are warrantied for 60,000 miles.

Then Rickboglehead gives his two cents

"This is concerning. Dry rot indicates a lack of attention on your part and very risky driving. Places like Discount Tire will do a free inspection of your tires. Never go more than 6 years without inspecting annually, and always check the date code before you buy any tire. I won't buy a tire that is more than a few months old." RickBoglehead

Rick You don't know me from Adam. I am pretty religious at following my mechanic's advice. I certainly don't know much about cars, but that's why I hire good mechanics to care for my car, and I follow their advice. They put a sticker on the window of my car suggesting the month or mileage of when to next bring the car in. I generally bring it in every 5,000. Which generally averages somewhere between every 6-8 months that my car is being maintained. And each time i bring it in, whether I have a problem, or just regular maintenance I ask them to look at all my belts, filters and rotate my tires, which they do.

So a professional is looking at my tires every 6-8 months! That you infer a "lack of attention and risky driving" is simply offensive. Because of Covid, I haven't reached 5,000 miles from the last time I took my car to the mechanics. But I did take my car into the very same tire company that is close to my home in Feb, when I had the "low tire pressure symbol" flashing at me and they said nothing about dry rot at that time. It was only two days ago that they mentioned dry rot, only 4 months later since I was last there. Furthermore, when I bought these tires in Dec 2016 i Insisted they put on new tires with the date showing on the outside so I could verify they were new, which they did, they were manufactured in Oct 2016--the 41st week of that year.

For the rest of you who responded to this request, thank you very much. I appreciate your advice and guidance, and I can go to Discount Tires on Sat with some information I wouldn't have had without this site, to help me make the appropriate decisions on the best tires for this car.
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

I would go with some Michelin's. We have been buying defenders for my wife's SUV around every 70,000 miles, and they are outstanding!
For the love of God, stick to your plan!!!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

If the tires are less than 5 years old, they should not have dry rot. Discount Tire will properly assess them. They may disagree with the prior assessment, you don't say where you went for air. If they are bad, DT can do the warranty claim. If they have no rot, avoid the place you went for air.

DT is very good. I recommend you go there at least annually, they do free rotation and balancing and inspection. They will also do a free air check anytime.
Gort

Post by Gort »

justlearnin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 am I want to thank many of you for your insight and help. I really appreciate it. I have an appt for Sat to get my tires changed, and at least I can go there with some knowledge before I buy.

I do have to say I was stunned with some responses that were full of unwarranted assumptions. After all, I came on to this site for guidance, not derision

"If you have "dry rot", then you have not changed your tires on this car in ages, if ever. How many miles do the tires have on them now? What brand and model are they? Are they M+S rated? I would think so. I don't think anyone would sell you a tire that was unsuitable for your car." livesoft

Livesoft, a bit presumptive wouldn't say? In fact I bought these tires in Dec 2016. Oddly enough the receipt didn't show my mileage, so today I called Discount Tires and they hadn't recorded the mileage of tires. So I looked at the repair receipt from the mechanic that repairs my car which occurred in April 2017, and at that time I had 43,463 miles. Today I have just over 71,000 miles, so these tires have -30,000 miles on them! They are Yokohama tires. And, yes, they are M+S rated. These tires are warrantied for 60,000 miles.

Then Rickboglehead gives his two cents

"This is concerning. Dry rot indicates a lack of attention on your part and very risky driving. Places like Discount Tire will do a free inspection of your tires. Never go more than 6 years without inspecting annually, and always check the date code before you buy any tire. I won't buy a tire that is more than a few months old." RickBoglehead

Rick You don't know me from Adam. I am pretty religious at following my mechanic's advice. I certainly don't know much about cars, but that's why I hire good mechanics to care for my car, and I follow their advice. They put a sticker on the window of my car suggesting the month or mileage of when to next bring the car in. I generally bring it in every 5,000. Which generally averages somewhere between every 6-8 months that my car is being maintained. And each time i bring it in, whether I have a problem, or just regular maintenance I ask them to look at all my belts, filters and rotate my tires, which they do.

So a professional is looking at my tires every 6-8 months! That you infer a "lack of attention and risky driving" is simply offensive. Because of Covid, I haven't reached 5,000 miles from the last time I took my car to the mechanics. But I did take my car into the very same tire company that is close to my home in Feb, when I had the "low tire pressure symbol" flashing at me and they said nothing about dry rot at that time. It was only two days ago that they mentioned dry rot, only 4 months later since I was last there. Furthermore, when I bought these tires in Dec 2016 i Insisted they put on new tires with the date showing on the outside so I could verify they were new, which they did, they were manufactured in Oct 2016--the 41st week of that year.

For the rest of you who responded to this request, thank you very much. I appreciate your advice and guidance, and I can go to Discount Tires on Sat with some information I wouldn't have had without this site, to help me make the appropriate decisions on the best tires for this car.
Derision is not an uncommon finding on this site. Such is the unfortunate nature of anonymous internet forums. Good luck with your tires!
dbr

Post by dbr »

Nate79 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:53 pm I second the idea to get all weather tires. I ran Firestone Weathergrip on our Forester purchased off Tirerack .
Right. The key designation is "3 Peak Mountain Snowflake certified" That is where there is a distinction between all weather and all season.

I suggest anyone who wants to know more to research the topic for themselves and decide if there is advice there.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

justlearnin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:43 amLivesoft, a bit presumptive wouldn't say?
I'm laughing because your tires probably don't have "dry rot." :) I was trying to help you determine if what you heard was legit or not.

The Internet is a harsh mistress, isn't it?
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkc

Post by mkc »

<question on date code answered while I was posting>