Toyota 4Runner out of stock?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtmingus

Toyota 4Runner out of stock?

Post by mtmingus »

Anyone noticed that there is no new Toyota 4Runner in dealers inventories?
They got only “certified preowned”. At least that’s the situation in the dealerships near me.
dbr

Re: Toyota 4Runner out of stock?

Post by dbr »

I have been told that inventory of all new vehicles is suffering from supply chain problems with chips used in the electronics, across all brands and nations of origin, except maybe China.

This could be an urban legend and the actual problem is just general transients in supply.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

:shock:

Wait, there's a Toyota 4Runner shortage? Only that model? :oops:

There is a mass shortage of all models of all vehicles made by all manufacturers. Chips, coupled with resin shortages.

My Ford dealer has 7.7% of the physical inventory that he had 2 years ago.

Ford is paying people $1,000 (rebate upon delivery) to order a vehicle to keep their plants running, because people aren't buying because they see no cars on lots. There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of vehicles in parking lots around the country waiting for chips.

I ordered a vehicle a few weeks ago with an estimated 6 month delivery. Dealer called me this week for something, and I asked if he had any confidence on the accuracy of that timeline and he laughed. A lot.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

Buying a new car with the color, options and price you want is a joke right now due to shortages. I've tried to get a Rav4 Prime SE to no avail. Too many idiots willing to pay way over MSRP.

Hopefully everything gets straightened out and it settles down. Wouldn't mind seeing a glut from over supply.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Our Toyota Dealer has 2 new 4Runner.

https://www.corwintoyota.com/new-invent ... el=4Runner

Maybe a road trip to a dealer in the region or farther?. :D
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

AutoTrader showing 33 within 50 miles of me in North Jersey

Noticed yesterday that the BMW and Infiniti dealerships had cars on the lot - about normal - parking lot was full.
Nissan across the highway was pretty much bare, they were getting a delivery of a few of the new Sentras
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

That does a lot to explain why the Edmund's value estimate for my 2005 Lexus GX470 (basically a fancy 4Runner) increased $5000 so far in 2021. Folks wanting to pull campers or at least get deep into the boonies are likely putting a premium on capable vehicles.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Bought a new Honda CR-V recently, so I have spent more time than I would like at my local dealerships the past month. In my area, Toyota and Subaru had almost no new inventory, Honda seemed less than normal but still ok, and Mazda was almost full. Salesman at Mazda said the chip shortage was not hurting them because 'Mazda planned for it'. I do not know if I believe that, but their dealership is half the size of Honda, Toyota, and Subaru, yet they had more vehicles.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

mtmingus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:53 am Anyone noticed that there is no new Toyota 4Runner in dealers inventories?
They got only “certified preowned”. At least that’s the situation in the dealerships near me.
The Toyota dealership in my neck of the woods currently has 14 new vehicles to sell, down from the 400 they typically have on the lot before the chip shortage.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I bought a new Subaru Forester about a month ago and the supply was not a problem and I was able to get a decent deal. I just looked and there are still some available but only something like 25 percent of the inventory they had a month ago.

Outbacks still seem to be in good supply.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I just put down a deposit for supposed delivery at the end of the month for MSRP on a white off road premium with KDSS. The dealer already had this one in their allotment so it would have been much longer if i needed something they didnt have alloted.

A few dealers around here (seattle area) had a few SR5s in stock though
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Watty wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm I bought a new Subaru Forester about a month ago and the supply was not a problem and I was able to get a decent deal. I just looked and there are still some available but only something like 25 percent of the inventory they had a month ago.

Outbacks still seem to be in good supply.
What happened to the Corolla? :wink:
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.