new computer? Apple desktop?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nursebee

new computer? Apple desktop?

Post by 4nursebee »

Hello and thank you for weighing in.

I think the current computer we use is circa 2016. Monitor is HP 27xi LED- to me it is just 27 inches, we like it.
I think the following stuff is the current info otherwise"
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
12 core 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ
12 GB Ram
64 bit x 64

I am considering a 27" all in product from apple. https://www.apple.com/imac-27/

Why?
Current computer seems to freeze up a bit more, it certainly makes more noise. It takes up a cabinet that could be put to better use, clean up the computer area some. And just to make all our products apple and have some easy integration, I guess. We don't use lots of apps but do use it for email, entertainment, news, relaxation (or slavery). Nothing from apple has ever given us a moment of problems. I have considered just using ipad with keyboard, this was vetoed.

What do you think of this upgrade?
Should it work better, easier, faster?
Do you have an iMac, what do you think of it?
Does the rechargeable keyboard and mouse really work ok? I've had some not work on PCs and only use wired units.
Apple TV free for a year, do you like it?

Big picture, when do you replace computers?
Thanks again.
Pale Blue Dot
stan1

Re: new computer? Apple desktop?

Post by stan1 »

About once every four years for me. YMMV.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I don’t replace them often. Would you consider a Mac Mini? They are very small, and relatively cheap compared to an iMac.

The iMac is super gorgeous. And I used to own one, but it eventually died and I didn’t buy another one. I got a MacBook Pro that I use with a docking station. I really like that setup. And you might enjoy it the same way with a Mac mini.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

I prefer a laptop & docking station with a large screen attached & keyboard attached. That way I can take my computer with me when I travel.
Yesterdaysnews

Post by Yesterdaysnews »

I would wait for the new 27 inch or larger iMac rather than purchase the old model.

The new iMac will use the new Apple silicon chip, which is outstanding and much better than the intel chip. I have two MacBooks for my kids, one has the intel chip and the other the M1 chip and the Apple chip laptop is far superior.

Personally, I am waiting for the new iMac Pro version (whenever that is released) I'm hoping for some darker color option such as space grey.
CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice »

I have a Macbook Pro perched on a Roost that is also USB-C plugged into an external monitor. This gives me two screens and portability. The USB-C doubles as both a charging cable and the cable for sending signal to the monitor. I use a wireless Apple keyboard and mouse and like them both. Keeping them charged takes about 1min of my brain space very month - no big deal.

If you want less power (cheaper / lighter) go with a Macbook Air.

If you're confident you don't need portability, then just go with a Mac Mini with external monitor / keyboard and mouse. It is cheaper and your setup will be a wee bit simpler. It would also be more powerful, though you probably wouldn't use any of that added horsepower.

This external monitor is great value, btw: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078G ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by CommitmentDevice on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Normchad wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm I don’t replace them often. Would you consider a Mac Mini? They are very small, and relatively cheap compared to an iMac.

The iMac is super gorgeous. And I used to own one, but it eventually died and I didn’t buy another one. I got a MacBook Pro that I use with a docking station. I really like that setup. And you might enjoy it the same way with a Mac mini.
I saw an article recently on using the Mac Mini as a more budget alternative to the IMac or MacBook. Around $600 for the 256 / $800 for the 512 / both new M1 chip. Pair with the monitor of your choice for $100 to $200 (24 inch) plus keyboard ($25 - $100). You can get an awesome setup for not much $$.
Beardog

Post by Beardog »

I have an 8 year old 27" iMac. It has been a great computer, but is about at the end of its days. I also have a new MacBook Pro, with the new M1 Apple chip. It is the best Mac I have ever owned, and I have owned a bunch of them over the years. I love the new MacBook Pro, but I am also going to buy one of the new desktop iMacs. I think they are definitely worth the wait (for the brand new 27 inch iMac), if you want a dedicated desktop unit. I believe the new 24 inch models are available now, but I am waiting on the big boy (27 inch) to hit the market.
Beardog
bligh

Post by bligh »

I use two 27" iMacs (2017 * 2020) and have owned a third 27" iMac (2014) that I sold off last year (I upgraded it with my current primary iMac). I have been using the 27" iMac in its current form factor since 2014. It is an EXCELLENT machine and my purchase history can attest to how much I love it. Once you have used the 27" iMac's 5K Retina screen you will simply not be satisfied with anything less.

As for your questions:

1) I think you will love it.
2) Speed differences in the last several years have never been noticeable for me. I have a 2013 13" MBP that is still plenty fast for my needs. A lot depends on what you use it for. For most productivity type applications, you will feel things be snappier but nothing life changing. A lot will depend on the Hard Disk/Storage on your current machine. If you are going from a regular Disk based drive with the SSD based storage in the iMac, it WILL feel incredibly faster to start apps.
3) I have 2 iMacs and I love them. As mentioned, I have owned 3 (including the ones I have right now) 27" iMacs with the 5K retina display.
4) Yes they work beautifully. Personally, I would get the Magic Trackpad over the magic mouse. It is far superior and once you have used it, you will not want to use anything else. If you have any concern about it, the latest Magic Keyboard and Trackpad can work in both wired and wireless mode. I have noticed no difference between the two modes.
5) I cancelled my Apple TV subscription after the free year. They had nothing I was keen to watch. I might sub for a bit once the Dune TV series comes out, but otherwise, I didn't care much for it.

I have no real cadence to be frank. I upgrade when a new machine tempts me to upgrade. My iMac upgrade last year was to lock in the last Intel based iMac that allow me to dual boot into Windows or Mac OS. In general I average an upgrade about every 4-5 years.

Which brings the last point to consider. Apple is currently in the midst of a transition to their own ARM based silicon that is a significant improvement over the Intel based chips that we all use. The 24" iMac has already been switched over, however the 27" iMac still runs on intel. Depending on your needs to run on Windows OS (either virtualized or as a dual boot OS) or specialized software you need that only support the intel microarchitecture, you might want to get the current iMac. Otherwise you might choose to wait for the Apple silicon based version to come out. This update is also rumored to include a redesign to the form factor.

A couple of years from now, no Intel based Macs will be sold, and all Apple computers will run on the ARM based Apple Silicon.

In short, personally, I would get the 27" iMac again in a heart beat. It will almost certainly be what I get when I replace my 2017 iMac in a year or two. If I didn't have any special need for Windows OS, and didn't need to upgrade immediately, I would definitely wait for the Apple Silicon based version.
Last edited by bligh on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

I love MacOS and use Apple exclusively wherever I have control of what machine I use. Apple computers' concern is not so much about spec, but how often you will be coerced to upgrade after having been excluded from receiving future software updates.

If you upgrade to a new computer every 5 years, this is of no concern. If you upgrade every 10, you WILL experience this frustration. Take note it doesn't matter how much money you spent in extra RAM or faster processor for a 2014 iMac, you're abandoned while someone who spent LESS on a base spec 2015 iMac will receive the update.

Straight from their website, the latest software update states:

See if your Mac can run macOS Monterey.

iMac
Late 2015 and later
Learn more

Mac Pro
Late 2013 and later
Learn more

iMac Pro
2017 and later

Mac mini
Late 2014 and later
Learn more

MacBook Air
Early 2015 and later
Learn more

MacBook
Early 2016 and later
Learn more

MacBook Pro
Early 2015 and later
Learn more
ballons

Post by ballons »

Why get rid a perfectly working monitor?

1. Dell Optiplex Micro or Lenovo - Tiny
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-a ... eries-Tiny
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/sc ... ing&~ck=mn

These things are as big as a paperback book, nearly silent, don't use much power, and should be mountable to your current monitor.

Dell has a business outlet where they sell Micro units cheap:
https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSal ... 204&~ck=mn

If you don't need anything powerful:
1. Get a chromebox
e.g. https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Deskto ... romebox-4/

2. https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
dbr

Post by dbr »

We work on desktop computers mostly only though I have two iPADS to carry around to certain places and also iPhones. My wife is iMAC and I am Dell PC. I got a new Dell this year with 2TB SSD and 16GB RAM and it is really good. I kept the old monitor. I do like the Edge browser. For my Wife the small footprint and clean use of space works very well.

I think you will really like an iMAC especially now that they have finally got all SSD hard drive. Somebody was right about the comment to wait for their own chip. The 24" iMAC already has the proprietary chip.

If you aren't already in the Apple ecosystem with iPADs and iPhones there will be a transition. I refuse to join bandwagons that are pro or anti Apple, having worked on so many computers over 55 years time. I have no interest is this is "best" and that is "best." You will have to make up your own mind but don't let people try to tell you that you should like what they like.

The one caveat is that Apple is expensive, though someone probably even wants to dispute that.

I think the special screen nano-tech option has been panned in reviews though.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

When it comes to Apple computers it is hard to get unbiased advice. You have some that won't ever critique Apple and others that seem to have a grudge against Apple. I think I'm fairly unbiased with things in life (which doesn't always gain me favor with friends).

I'm 50s and have been using computers since the Radio Shack TRS-80 days. Often the primary computer was Windows based (or in the old days DOS) at work and at home. I also mess around with Unix and Linux quite often.

I got my first Apple computer (macbook pro) back around 2005 and grew to like it a lot. I realized that my needs don't require laptops so my next computer was in 2008 and was an iMac 27". That was perfect for me. A huge high quality monitor and a computer that simply worked day after day. No more blue screens, no more issues with updates, etc. Currently my GF is using that same computer while I got a new one in late 2018.

Most of your normal apps are built in. If you need to scan or view a PDF you can simply use the built in Preview app. You can either use the built in Apple apps or buy Office (which I've done because I use it at work all the time).

I don't live in the Apple world full time since I prefer browsers like Chrome and FF over Safari, don't use Apple's mail program, etc. but I really dread using my Windows computer at work. In my 12+ years of using Apple computers I haven't ever had a disaster with updates, once I thought I did but the computer fixed itself and is fine.

Unless someone is tight on budget, a big gamer or have some compatibility needs with work I wouldn't recommend a Windows computer to anyone. Do some things annoy me? Sure. Many won't let you upgrade even trivial items such as internal memory (although the ones I have do) and I don't care for their small keyboard nor the wireless mouse so I don't use either.

Often they have apps built in that I never touch. Once years ago I took a bunch of photos and decided to see if I could make my parents a DVD with the photos moving like an automated slideshow with some Christmas music added. With the built in app I was able to do that quickly and easily. Of course, now the DVD is no longer built into the computer as Apple often is too quick with removing some items I think they should have left around longer but usually there are easy workarounds.

I've complained at work about the lack of computer choice but IT at my computer is horrible since the company views it as an expense/overhead item instead of a "productivity" enhancing group but it is their loss as I charge overhead while waiting for them to repair computers or watching an update boot multiple times and locking up.

(And yeah someone could get a cheap chromebook, or a computer and put Linux on it but I think for most that would be more annoying and less productive.)
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm Hello and thank you for weighing in.

I think the current computer we use is circa 2016. Monitor is HP 27xi LED- to me it is just 27 inches, we like it.
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
12 core 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ
12 GB Ram
64 bit x 64

{snip}

Thanks again.
I have an old i7 gen4. Actually very comparable to yours and had it for about 7 years now. In general, if you aren't doing bitcoin mining or gaming, there's not a reason to buy an overly pumped up machine, so I don't upgrade much (having a work computer helps).

If money isn't an issue, blow it on the $2k Apple, but oof that feels pricey - a big part of the cost is the design/monitor, just hard for me to eat.

I think someone else mentioned the MacMini - I believe it beats the iMac in performance and it's going to be almost $1000 cheaper.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

PoppyA wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 pm I prefer a laptop & docking station with a large screen attached & keyboard attached. That way I can take my computer with me when I travel.
Exactly. Even if you are completely homebound, wouldn't you want to be able to take the computer to another room or maybe outside? Not many people should be buying a desktop in 2021.

+1 for Apple.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

The new Apple silicon iMaclooks fabulous and reviews are good. 24” screen - not sure there will be a larger size. The ibm silicon iMacs used to be 21” and 27”.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Ex fighter pilot who is not very tolerant of technology that was not well thought out. I used to buy a new computer every three to four years because of obsolescence. In 2011 I bought an IMac when my computer had windows registry errors (whatever that was). Now I own a 2011 and 2018 IMAC, an Ipad, and iPhones. I had to use an IBM compatible laptop for work. Last year I was on the phone with Apple Icare (I bought a used iMac with AppleCare) and got disconnected when my phone battery went dead. 10 minutes later the apple technician called me back and said she waited 10 minutes to call me back because she figured my phone might have died and I would need a recharge. I like apple computers like i like two or three vanguard index funds /etfs. I realize other people don’t and that is OK. A few short lessons on how to get around in the Mac operating system would have been time well Spent and can be provided by the apple store.
dbr

Post by dbr »

gwe67 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:55 pm
PoppyA wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 pm I prefer a laptop & docking station with a large screen attached & keyboard attached. That way I can take my computer with me when I travel.
Exactly. Even if you are completely homebound, wouldn't you want to be able to take the computer to another room or maybe outside? Not many people should be buying a desktop in 2021.

+1 for Apple.
I don't. I like an office area with the computer and the things in that area set up to do what I do. My wife is the same. I like at least a 21' screen, but might step up a little larger. When we go out NOT taking a computer with us is part of what that going out means.

I have a phone and a Kindle for the things not done on the desktop. The Kindle is the smallest and lightest one they have and I can lie on my back in bed and read and when I drop it I don't get a broken nose. The Kindle is the tool of choice for reading on an airplane and an iPAD mini for those places I might go that need bigger than a phone internet work. The mini is a step down from the bigger iPAD I used to carry. The size and weight of an actual laptop is a non-starter. For people needing an actual work computer on the road the situation is different and laptops serve that role very well.

In any case lots of people prefer an option anywhere along the spectrum from a phone you can put in a shirt pocket to a relative of mine that does tax accounting with two 27" monitors in front of him. There isn't a should.

PS The first computer I used weighed several tons and the issue was how to get to it rather than how to take it somewhere else.
catdude

Post by catdude »

I've got the new Mac mini with the M1 chip and I really like it. A cool little computer. I can strongly recommend it. OP, since you've already got a good monitor, the mini might work well for you. BTW, it's on sale at Costco ($599.99) till June 13th. Amazon evidently has the mini for the same price... their page says the price is $659, also says "Save $59.01 at checkout", which would bring it down to $599.99.
Last edited by catdude on Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
ClassII

Post by ClassII »

As someone who is waiting for Apple's pro laptop line to make the jump to their own CPUs I agree in holding out on a larger screen iMac. That said its worth it to go look at the new 24" model in person. I thought the colors and such looked way better in the Apple store than they do online. The fronts aren't as annoyingly pastel, for instance. Also the white bezel looked weird to me online but didn't bother me at all in person.

Also the screen quality on the iMacs (current and former) are better than basically any other consumer-grade display out there. They market it as "retina-class" meaning that the pixel density is high enough for most people to not even see the individual pixels. Its hard to really describe but after having used their Retina display in my laptop for a few years I find it really difficult to use a standard monitor for any length of time. As I see it (pun) displays shouldn't be skimped out on considering how much time I spend in front of it. So if you take the cost of the mini into account it's almost impossible to find a screen as good for the price of the iMac.

tl;dr - If at all possible, give it a few more months and see what Apple releases that replaces the higher-end Intel iMacs. The going consensus in the rumor mill is it will not disappoint. However the 24" model recently released is quite good. Also: I'd strongly recommend an iMac over a mini + 3rd party display unless you already have one that's extremely good.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

Macs are fantastic, and you might consider either getting a Mac mini to use with your current 27" display that you like, or getting a 24" iMac.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • Warning: you will succeed at whatever you focus on, good or bad
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I'm using an iMac from 2011. My parents are using my previous iMac from 2006. So 15 years so far. How's that for longevity on a daily use machine?
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
12 core 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ
12 GB Ram
64 bit x 64

I am considering a 27" all in product from apple. https://www.apple.com/imac-27/

Why?
Current computer seems to freeze up a bit more, it certainly makes more noise. It takes up a cabinet that could be put to better use, clean up the computer area some. And just to make all our products apple and have some easy integration, I guess. We don't use lots of apps but do use it for email, entertainment, news, relaxation (or slavery). Nothing from apple has ever given us a moment of problems. I have considered just using ipad with keyboard, this was vetoed.

Does the rechargeable keyboard and mouse really work ok? I've had some not work on PCs and only use wired units.

Thanks again.
5 years old computer. Too soon to replace, me thinks.

I bought a computer in 2014 for my kid who has has been playing games ever since. Still going strong.

4nursebee - questions for you. Do you ever open the computer case and try to dust off? Do you perform disk defragmentation? Dusting off could help with the noise. Defragmentation could help with performance.
“Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” — John C. Bogle
dbr

Post by dbr »

On the mouse and keyboard, yes they work fine though my wife finds a logitech mouse with a battery more comfortable while won't use any keyboard except the Apple one. Mice and keyboards can need to be replace. For keyboards your coffee drinking and snacking habits are a factor.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Just do it...nothing better really...yea you might spend a little more money up front but over the long haul its value is worth it. Nothing better in the world for service either and support...you actually get to talk to a real live human being...how cool is that huh? Get it today so you have the weekend to enjoy it. And yea I have a bunch of Macs...the new M1 chip is crazy good....
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
12 core 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ
12 GB Ram
64 bit x 64

Why?

Thanks again.
Apologies if I missed this in comments above but

My understanding is most Personal Computers are on allocation. There is a global shortage of components.

In other words, your lead time can be 2+ months (or indefinite).

We have a large order (several hundred machines) and one of the big manufacturers has told us no possibility before the autumn. It's been "in 6 months" now for most of this year, in fact. We happened to get 1000 in before the Covid crisis hit, so half the organisation is on the new machines and the rest of us are struggling on the old ones.

Literally, when someone finally is upgraded, they have to ship their 2-4 year old machine back to IT, so it can be used as spare parts to repair existing machines).

If you can wait for next year, and pray that your computer doesn't go on the fritz in the meantime.
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
12 core 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ
12 GB Ram
64 bit x 64

Why?

Thanks again.
If you are set on Apple and money is not a issue ok. But me. I still use my 10 year old Dell Device name DESKTOP Windows 10 home edition
Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 6.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
It does get slow and problematic every couple of years. Its simple to go into settings and restore to a new windows 10 and it its like new again. I don't do any gaming. Its good for browsing, email, streaming. I have never replaced a single part in this machine. That said, it will probably die before i click submit. When that happens I will likely get another windows 10 machine. I am familiar with windows and its not as restricted as Apple products when getting apps and repairs.
Taxapalooza

Post by Taxapalooza »

I have an Iphone, Powerbeats Pro (owned by Apple), and a few other small Apple accessories and really like them all.

By contrast, I tried out a MacBook Air and also Pro a few years back after having used a Windows laptops/computers my entire life and returned both within the return policies. I could not get used to the OS setup and I am a youngin' whom is fairly adaptable. I also trade as a hobby so that had something to do with it as well. Others in my family have gotten them and love them. Try them out. YMMV.
Don't give up the ship.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Normchad wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:48 pm I don’t replace them often. Would you consider a Mac Mini? They are very small, and relatively cheap compared to an iMac.

The Mac mini is currently the hands down most cost effective Mac desktop.

I will likely get an Air instead because I hope to travel a bit and the slight loss in performance matter less and less to me these days.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

If you are 100% certain that you no longer will be staying with the existing platform, before spending the cash on a Mac, you might try putting Linux Mint on the existing machine. It handles the tasks you mentioned, and it’s pretty easy to learn. I run it at home, and use it for everything, including interfacing with my Apple devices via the Chrome browser and iCloud.com. And it’s free.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I can and do own pretty much any computing device I want, but it is the two iMacs that are head and shoulders the best devices I've ever owned. One is now 12 years old and doesn't really do much of anything but isn't worth enough for me to expend the effort to get rid of. The other is a 2019 top-spec 27" I use for work and it has been absolutely flawless. Never a single hiccup in my heavy multi-tasking workflow and a year-plus of remote conferencing work. If you value a computer where everything just works in a clean aesthetic, an iMac is a bargain.
ballons

Post by ballons »

sureshoe wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:44 pm
4nursebee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
12 core 4C+8G 3.5 GHZ
12 GB Ram
64 bit x 64
I have an old i7 gen4. Actually very comparable to yours and had it for about 7 years now. In general, if you aren't doing bitcoin mining or gaming, there's not a reason to buy an overly pumped up machine, so I don't upgrade much (having a work computer helps).
What you have is way better:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AM ... s896vs1907

Even i7 gen3 is better. You can find these older i7 based PC's for <$150, at your local goodwill store, or most likely in the trash can for free.
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

I get a new Macbook Air every 5 years or so, so I can have the latest version of MacOS (for one reason, Turbotax always seems to require close to the newest).

But I also have a 9 year-old Mac Pro "tower", which shall remain at ElCapitan forever. I use it to host scanners and printers and Photoshop CS5 and it kicks butt; in many ways, I prefer using it to the Macbook. Oh, and I got the Pro off craiglist for about $500 and spent another couple hundred$ on additonal memory, SSD for the OS, and bigger HDD for user files.
NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ »

I have a late 2013 27" iMac that has been great. By pure coincidence I just spent some time researching today and found I could replace it with the 2019/2020 27" model, but most of the advice I was seeing (I like MacRumors) was saying to wait for the 27" M1 model that would hopefully come out later this year.

My machine had a crisis about 6 months ago that I solved by upgrading its RAM from 8GB to 24GB (something you can't do with the M1 models, FYI -- RAM is basically built onto the motherboard). Now its main issue is that it doesn't support the latest version of OS X, which will become more and more of a problem as time goes by.

Typically I used to upgrade my computers every 2 years, just because I wanted to. I was a bit shocked to realize I've had this one for almost 8 years!

So for now, I guess I will wait and hope the new 27" model comes soon and is something I like.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I wouldn't get the 27" Intel iMac. With everything in Apple's product lineup switching to Apple Silicon… You're essentially paying full price for legacy technology.

Get the 24" iMac or wait for the 27" M1 iMac.
Cyrix6x86

Post by Cyrix6x86 »

Wait. Apple is transitioning to a new platform, and the 27" has not been refreshed yet. It is already not going to get features on the newest macOS, even though they are still selling it as new.

Intel Macs are dead.

Keep your monitor and get the new Mac mini with Apple Silicon (M1) processor. Or just wait a few months for the 27" iMac's replacement.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

Just got the mac mini with apple processor. its grrrrrreat
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

See MacRumors Buyer's Guide

They do a good job informing of what models are getting long in the tooth.

Sign me,

Mac Fanboy
63 yo,1y til go part-time. AA 70/30: 30% S&P, 16% value, 14% intl, 10% EM, 30% short/int govt bonds. My mil pension + DW's now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm
...I am considering a 27" all in product from apple. https://www.apple.com/imac-27/
1. Wait for the new 27" iMac with the Apple M1 or maybe M2 chip. vastly superior.

2. Keep your old monitor and connect it to the iMac, for a dual monitor system. You will love the extra screen space. (Upgrade the graphics card slightly to get maximum benefit.)

3. The thing that will make most computers feel a lot faster is a SSD storage drive. Spring for one of those.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Sam_78

Post by Sam_78 »

Another vote for new Mac mini. You have the monitor so good to go!
nura

Post by nura »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:28 pm I am considering a 27" all in product from apple. https://www.apple.com/imac-27/
27" iMac costs $1800, for less than half you can buy M1 Mac Mini and 27" monitor .
Danielle896

Post by Danielle896 »

I would review applications carefully before moving from Windows to Apple.
Last edited by Danielle896 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Have this one. It’s a great Mac.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

+1 for Apple.
Well if you want a lot of memory and storage, a desktop can be better. As best I can tell, the apples with the M1 chip only go up to 16 GB of RAM.

If you are doing things like photo or video editing, you'd perhaps want more RAM.

Not that a good laptop with a large monitor for desktop use is a bad solution. But there are reasons to go with a desktop.

What's interesting is that the new Mac Minis and 24" iMacs with the M1 chip only support up to 16 GB of RAM. Which pending some research (see what people using the new macs think of them for memory-intensive apps), might keep me from buying one. I really like lots of RAM.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

TN_Boy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:35 pm

+1 for Apple.
Well if you want a lot of memory and storage, a desktop can be better. As best I can tell, the apples with the M1 chip only go up to 16 GB of RAM.

If you are doing things like photo or video editing, you'd perhaps want more RAM.

Not that a good laptop with a large monitor for desktop use is a bad solution. But there are reasons to go with a desktop.

What's interesting is that the new Mac Minis and 24" iMacs with the M1 chip only support up to 16 GB of RAM. Which pending some research (see what people using the new macs think of them for memory-intensive apps), might keep me from buying one. I really like lots of RAM.
Apple is running a RAM scam, gouging customers for what should be inexpensive RAM upgrades.

May 30, 2020, "Apple today doubled the price for upgrading the RAM on the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro, with customers in the United States now being charged $200 to move from 8GB to 16GB compared to the previous $100 upgrade price."

They also do the same with iPhones. And their hard drive storage upgrade pricing is outrageous as well.
RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford »

gwe67 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:19 pm Apple is running a RAM scam, gouging customers for what should be inexpensive RAM upgrades.

May 30, 2020, "Apple today doubled the price for upgrading the RAM on the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro, with customers in the United States now being charged $200 to move from 8GB to 16GB compared to the previous $100 upgrade price."

They also do the same with iPhones. And their hard drive storage upgrade pricing is outrageous as well.
Probably because - according to the excellent site https://eshop.macsales.com/ - the memory on newer Macbook Pros (and probably most other late-model Macbooks) was not user-upgradable, being directly soldered in.

Apple makes wonderful products - I would not own a non-Apple computer - but their business practices are predatory. I don't believe iPhones are as distinctly superior to the alternatives (Android), so I refuse to pay $1000 for an iPhone.
NancyABQ

Post by NancyABQ »

+1 for Apple.

I agree that the RAM can be an issue. I run a browser with lots of windows, Preview, Discord app, stuff like that. I leave the machine on for weeks. Some of these apps (looking at you, Firefox!) seem to be real memory hogs. 8GB RAM was way insufficient. 24GB RAM is enough. I don't think 16GB would really be enough (I mean probably barely, but no future-proofing).

I am hoping the 27" M1 (which wouldn't technically be the M1, but maybe M1X or M1Z or something -- I haven't been paying too close attention) will have a base of 16GB and be upgradeable to 32GB at purchase time. I don't expect it to be user upgradeable so if I can't configure it with at least 32GB, I probably won't buy it.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

RustyShackleford wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:45 pm
gwe67 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:19 pm Apple is running a RAM scam, gouging customers for what should be inexpensive RAM upgrades.

Probably because - according to the excellent site https://eshop.macsales.com/ - the memory on newer Macbook Pros (and probably most other late-model Macbooks) was not user-upgradable, being directly soldered in.

Apple makes wonderful products - I would not own a non-Apple computer - but their business practices are predatory. I don't believe iPhones are as distinctly superior to the alternatives (Android), so I refuse to pay $1000 for an iPhone.
On my older Macbook, I bought the model with the lowest amount of RAM, and installed more myself. Can't do that any more.

Looks like 8GB RAM can be bought on Amazon for about $30. Apple probably gets it for much less. And they charge $200 for this nice (and necessary) upgrade.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

For email, entertainment, relaxation, you should get an iPad Pro. Maybe one for your SO too.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

NancyABQ wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:56 pm

+1 for Apple.

I agree that the RAM can be an issue. I run a browser with lots of windows, Preview, Discord app, stuff like that. I leave the machine on for weeks. Some of these apps (looking at you, Firefox!) seem to be real memory hogs. 8GB RAM was way insufficient. 24GB RAM is enough. I don't think 16GB would really be enough (I mean probably barely, but no future-proofing).

I am hoping the 27" M1 (which wouldn't technically be the M1, but maybe M1X or M1Z or something -- I haven't been paying too close attention) will have a base of 16GB and be upgradeable to 32GB at purchase time. I don't expect it to be user upgradeable so if I can't configure it with at least 32GB, I probably won't buy it.
“ In one experiment I did yesterday, I tried to push it to the absolute limits to see at what point it would slow down. So I opened up 12 apps at once. No sign of slowing down. Added 2 x86 apps emulated with Rosetta 2. No sign of slowing. Added an app running full screen to see if it would drop frames switching between screens. Nope. Added a Safari window with 24 tabs. Nothing. So I added six Safari windows, each playing videos at 2160p, Spotify in the background, and tried to take a screenshot. Only then did the computer finally grind a halt. I was greeted with the familiar rainbow spinning wheel of death.”

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/opinion- ... h-for-you/

Seems like the integration of software and hardware has resulted in a highly performant machine even with 8GB RAM. Pretty much anyone not doing photoshop on big images (or similar workflows) will be fine with 8GB and 16GB works well for most of those as well as folks editing multiple 4K streams based on what I’ve seen in other articles:

“His experiments focused on Xcode, video exporting and Lightroom. In all three tests, the 8GB version lagged behind its 16GB big brother, but it was only the 8K export to 4K in which it was comprehensively crushed.

In that scenario (which is, incidentally, pretty niche), the 8GB M1 took eight minutes longer to complete the task than the 16GB model.”

https://markellisreviews.com/8gb-vs-16g ... en-matter/

Note that it took longer, not didn’t work.

Given that the most arduous thing I do is 4K FCPX Im betting that 16GB is future proof enough.