Wasp repellant?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tenkuky

Wasp repellant?

Post by tenkuky »

Have had yellow-jacket and mud-daub wasps make nests in eves, behind shutters etc last 2 years.
Needed to pay an exterminator at least twice to clear them out.
Apart from randomly hitting them with Raid/other jet sprays, how can I PREVENT this from happening?
Any tried and tested repellants vs. reactionary killing agents?
Someone mentioned garlic oil, but that is more for rabbits/deer.

Any guidance appreciated, thanks!
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Wasp repellant?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

we had the same problems. then I found a wasp decoy and have used them for the past 2 years with very good results.

wasps are territorial and if they see what appears to be a significant nest they will set up their nests elsewhere (won't build where you are). The trick is to get it up early in the season before they start building.

I bought mine at walmart (also on amazon):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FMI-Brands-I ... /467921132

you can also supposedly make your own with a crumpled paper bag (I haven't tried this):
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +paper+bag

let us know how it goes for you.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Spray but leave old nests up for a bit. They will avoid that entire area seeing the old nest. Wasps are beneficial. I leave regular concrete blocks standing upright for them to build nests away from the house.

Yellow-jackets you can kill; they sell traps for them.
Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 »

I am extremely pleased with Demand CS. Mix it in a sprayer with water and apply (try ordering from domyown.com - the name says it all).
It has a very mild odor and very reasonable safety requirements (spray outdoors on your house is fine). I am a chemical sensitive nut/person, and this one doesn't bother me at all (YMMV).

The product repels bugs/bees/insects, and if the silly bee/fly/spider/scorpion is so dumb as to crawl or land on the surface, it will die. Slowly. :D (my love of nature does not extend to creepy crawlies coming in the house). This is not a quick knockdown product, so don't use it to defend yourself from angry bees. I sprayed it around eaves, wooden shed eaves/surface, patio, edges of the siding/windows/doors and we have NO mud daubers, carpenter bees, wasps, scary huge red wasps, flies...loads of dead bugs the next day... i had no idea how many wolf spiders were on the front patio. It's been 60 days and lots of rain and we still get dead insects falling off the patio umbrella. I used it last year and 1-2 applications lasted the 6 month bug season.

One of the reviews for Demand described insect/spider/scorpion Armageddon in their yard. I agree.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I looked up Demand CS. It is just lambda-cyhalothrin which is a common synthetic pyrethroid. Any other synthetic pyrethroid will be equivalent. For instance, one could use high quality odorless permethrin. Or Triazicide which is gamma-cyhalothrin.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

I also recommend Demand CS. A pro did my house about 10 years ago for carpenter bees and I noticed on the receipt he used Demand CS. I purchased the concentrate online and have been using ever since. It can be used for many different situations and pests by varying the concentration when mixing. All in the directions.
If your looking for something more natural in the past I used NBS 30. It's all natural using citronella. It doesn't kill but is a very good deterrent. Very popular with log home owners.
brandy

Post by brandy »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:12 pm you can also supposedly make your own with a crumpled paper bag (I haven't tried this):
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +paper+bag
let us know how it goes for you.
I made my own several years ago, using brown school lunch bags and crumpled newspaper, tied closed with a long string, and hung as close to a "ceiling" as i could. They worked well for years. There was a time or two I had to spray some later with wasp repellant, but that did the trick for several more years.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

We used those yellow traps that have attractant (not repellant). Worked well for us but took a couple of seasons. They draw out the wasps from the nests and we had literally hundreds of dead wasps in days. Had to empty out the dead wasps multiple times. The trick was you had to refill the attractant when it ran out, and just wait. For some reason they all go into the trap at the same time. Nothing for days, then all of a sudden the whole thing is full in a single afternoon.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RESCUE-WHY- ... 18#overlay
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

In my experience, if you allow the bees to make a nest under your eaves they will come back year after year. I took a nest down in the very early stages last year with wasp repellant and they didn't come back this year. I would be a little chicken to spray wasp repellant on a fully formed hornet's nest even at night. It may work, but if it doesn't you'd better be a 9 second 100 meter world-class sprinter. And that might not even save you. I'm no bee expert. It may be doable but I sure wouldn't risk it. I'd call an expert to come by and take it down first.

We Americans are really scared of bees for some reason. When I lived in Germany - the outdoor pastry shops attracted yellow jackets. They were all over the vendors as they served their customers. Nobody seemed to care. I never saw any of them stung. I was fascinated by the sight. Maybe the German bees are trained not to sting.
Neuron

Post by Neuron »

I have had success with the liquid sevin formulation and applying it to nests or the eaves with a squirt gun (the simple kind the is just a tube and a plunger). I can stay 20 feet from the nests and can get the sevin right up inside the hole of the nest. I apply the solution to the eaves in spring and fall to prevent more nests and to prevent the queens from wintering in the attic. We have German yellowjackets, an invasive species in the northeastern US, and it took a few years to figure out a good control regimen. Before that we would have multiple hives in our eaves or shed each year and in the spring a lot of the wasps would find their way into the house.
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Rudy Tooty wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:39 pm In my experience, if you allow the bees to make a nest under your eaves they will come back year after year. I took a nest down in the very early stages last year with wasp repellant and they didn't come back this year. I would be a little chicken to spray wasp repellant on a fully formed hornet's nest even at night. It may work, but if it doesn't you'd better be a 9 second 100 meter world-class sprinter. And that might not even save you. I'm no bee expert. It may be doable but I sure wouldn't risk it. I'd call an expert to come by and take it down first.

We Americans are really scared of bees for some reason. When I lived in Germany - the outdoor pastry shops attracted yellow jackets. They were all over the vendors as they served their customers. Nobody seemed to care. I never saw any of them stung. I was fascinated by the sight. Maybe the German bees are trained not to sting.
Well, anaphylaxis deaths from wasp/bee venom are very real and I wouldn't want to be either on the receiving end of it or be a store or home owner on whose property one happened. From a financial aspect, cost of treating far outweighs prevention.