microwave - ? - built in

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
shell921

microwave - ? - built in

Post by shell921 »

Do you like your built in microwave? If so what brand is it? My 12 year old built in Viking microwave just quit. I think it's probably best to replace-not repair.
mhalley

Re: microwave - ? - built in

Post by mhalley »

Microwaves have declined a lot in quality over the years imho, so I would get a consumer reports recommendation from the library or online trial. With a built in, you may be limited by size. When I had to replace mine several years ago I went online to purchase custom trim kit for it as there were gaps when the new one was installed.
sport

Post by sport »

We have a fancier model built-in Whirlpool. We are happy with it.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Consumer Reports entire database is often accessible by logging in via your library's website.

We have a GE Profile, installed 17 years ago with the other appliances. It works fine. Make sure you know whether you have venting now, and whether a new unit uses venting. Ours does.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Depends on what you mean by built in. I've seen built in microwaves above the stove/oven that double as an exhaust fan. That isn't good since microwaves don't make for good exhaust fans. I'd rather have a separate exhaust fan.

Overall, a lot of built in stuff I don't care for (microwaves, tvs, entertainment centers, etc.) because technology changes over the years and things get obsolete or size changes which makes changing things later more expensive.
leeks

Post by leeks »

We bought a home that has one - Frigidaire - built in over the stove with a crappy and loud exhaust "fan" of sorts. I hate having it in that position and even with a family of 4, it seems overly large.

I want to remove it, donate it to the Habitat Store, put in a real hood with a real (and quieter) exhaust fan.

Then I want to get a smaller microwave and put it on a shelf in the pantry so it is no longer a primary visual feature in the kitchen. We don't use it very often anyway.
The Frigidaire brand we also had a countertop in another rental apartment and both were fine as far as microwave function.

It is just that the one in our house is a terrible exhaust fan, and not what I want to look at above a nice stove.
Topic Author
shell921

Post by shell921 »

Thanks everyone. Yes I guess I have to go with what will fit. My microwave is built in over the oven. I have no idea if both oven and microwave use same vent.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

22 year old, original to the house, GE.

Love it!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

shell921 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 pm Thanks everyone. Yes I guess I have to go with what will fit. My microwave is built in over the oven. I have no idea if both oven and microwave use same vent.
No, they likely don't use the same vent.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

I have a Maytag model w/ built-in vent that hangs over my stove. It was almost new when I moved in about 11 years ago. It is very powerful, solid and works like a champ.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

shell921 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 pm Thanks everyone. Yes I guess I have to go with what will fit. My microwave is built in over the oven. I have no idea if both oven and microwave use same vent.
If it's like our new unit, microwave on top, oven below, there is no vent. Ovens or microwaves don't vent. You need the vent for your cooktop. Our old microwave was above the cook top and there was an exhaust intake underneath which vented outside. We removed the old microwave and installed a much better vent.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Have a 5 year old KitchenAide built in with a trim kit to match and install above a 27 inch oven. It is a high power good quality microwave. All stainless.
HyperCat

Post by HyperCat »

Installed a Samsung a few years ago and the turntable motor has already started making a rhythmic knocking noise. They don't make them like they used to.
mkc

Post by mkc »

With the exception of drawer microwaves (all of which are made by Sharp, even if they have a different brand on the front), or OTR (over the range) models, "built in" ones are actually countertop models with a trim kit.

You'll find the trim kit costs as much as the microwave itself.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

mkc wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:01 pm With the exception of drawer microwaves (all of which are made by Sharp, even if they have a different brand on the front), or OTR (over the range) models, "built in" ones are actually countertop models with a trim kit.

You'll find the trim kit costs as much as the microwave itself.
Hmmm, didn’t know this. We love our Sharp drawer microwave (got rid of over the range microwave that came with the house so we could put in a hood).

Also, this reminds me of the time renters in our condo broke the latch on a long since discontinued under the counter unit, leading to a series of unfortunate events that necessitated the purchase of a microwave, trim kit, and hiring of a contractor to do the job while we were overseas landlords. I think the damage was $2500. Good times.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

shell921 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 pm My microwave is built in over the oven. I have no idea if both oven and microwave use same vent.
Our built in microwave over the oven is a GE Profile series unit and has worked flawlessly thus far. Neither it nor the oven has a vent.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 am
shell921 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 pm My microwave is built in over the oven. I have no idea if both oven and microwave use same vent.
Our built in microwave over the oven is a GE Profile series unit and has worked flawlessly thus far. Neither it nor the oven has a vent.
Ditto. Mine is original to the house and it's 15+ years old. The plastic handle broke a year ago and I replaced it with a non-OEM handle from Amazon. GTG.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

We don't cook much with a microwave but we need one none the less.

We replaced the GE over the stove with a real hood vent and placed a very nice Kitchenaid Drawer style microwave in the island.
sport

Post by sport »

zlandar wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:17 am
lthenderson wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:08 am
Ditto. Mine is original to the house and it's 15+ years old. The plastic handle broke a year ago and I replaced it with a non-OEM handle from Amazon. GTG.
I had a GE Profile unit with a touch panel. It worked flawlessly for about 10 years until the touch panel died. The cost of a replacement part was $535 plus labor. The repair company told me to replace it rather than fix it.