Acoustic Guitar Help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
munemaker

Re: Acoustic Guitar Help

Post by munemaker »

FRT15 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:26 pm I am wanting to learn to play. I have an older guitar from a family member. Would you have recommendations for good online courses or a website containing teachers for hire. Thanks
Justinguitar.com Widely recognized and he works for voluntary contributions (or not).
Topic Author
RRJeff

Post by RRJeff »

munemaker wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 pm
FRT15 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:26 pm I am wanting to learn to play. I have an older guitar from a family member. Would you have recommendations for good online courses or a website containing teachers for hire. Thanks
Justinguitar.com Widely recognized and he works for voluntary contributions (or not).
+1 on JustinGuitar.com. Even though I had lessons 30+ years ago, I am going through Justin’s beginner courses to refresh my skills and I find them very good.
Topic Author
RRJeff

Post by RRJeff »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to take my time and find the right guitar for me. I spent last Friday afternoon trying guitars at local Guitar Center and another local music shop.

I found that most of the guitars I played were no better (to me) than my Ovation. I tried some Martin Road Series models and several Taylors, as well as Takamine, Epiphone, Gibson, Breedlove, Seagull and Guild. The Martins all sounded pretty much the same compared to each other, but different from everything else, with a nice complex tone. The best “feeling” guitar was a Taylor 214ce deluxe. It felt different from every other guitar I tried (including several other Taylors)…the strings felt live when I strummed it. The tone was not quite as good as the Martins. I would have bought the Taylor based on the feel alone, but I’m going to keep looking and trying other guitars to see if I can find equal or better.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Small Law Survivor wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 am I have a Taylor 510 that I purchased 25 years ago. Wonderful guitar that just gets better with age! I've played a lot of Martins and Taylors, and I prefer Taylor - very personal decision, but Taylors are worth checking out.
Taylor 910 here bought new in 1995. John Pearse phosphor bronze strings. Love it.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

RRJeff wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 am The best “feeling” guitar was a Taylor 214ce deluxe. It felt different from every other guitar I tried (including several other Taylors)…the strings felt live when I strummed it. The tone was not quite as good as the Martins. I would have bought the Taylor based on the feel alone, but I’m going to keep looking and trying other guitars to see if I can find equal or better.
You can put different strings on them for slight changes in tone.

I like a mix between Taylor and Martin's tone, so I brighten up my Martin with brighter sounding strings.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

RRJeff wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 am Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to take my time and find the right guitar for me. I spent last Friday afternoon trying guitars at local Guitar Center and another local music shop.

I found that most of the guitars I played were no better (to me) than my Ovation. I tried some Martin Road Series models and several Taylors, as well as Takamine, Epiphone, Gibson, Breedlove, Seagull and Guild. The Martins all sounded pretty much the same compared to each other, but different from everything else, with a nice complex tone. The best “feeling” guitar was a Taylor 214ce deluxe. It felt different from every other guitar I tried (including several other Taylors)…the strings felt live when I strummed it. The tone was not quite as good as the Martins. I would have bought the Taylor based on the feel alone, but I’m going to keep looking and trying other guitars to see if I can find equal or better.
Funny, the taylor 214ce deluxe is exactly the guitar my buddy bought after going to GC as well. Understand however the liveliness may have been due to newer strings on the Taylor vs the others. Generally stores like GC don't change the strings often and guitars can sit (and or be played for years without a string change). Playing them all in succession, where one guitar is tuned properly and the others have older "dead" strings may give this result. I will say though that my buddy has had this guitar for 6 mos and loves it. Practices almost every day now (and barely before when he had a sub $400 laminate guitar).

I agree about Martin - they offer the most mids - so you hear more of the complexities of the guitar. Personally, that's one of the guitars I own.

As you can now see - you know the feel and playability almost immediately. thus the reason for us to suggest you play these guitars before buying. If you really love one of the Martins (vs the Taylor) don't be shy to ask their Luthier to pop new strings on it so you can make a buy decision then and there. As long as you're buying, I'm sure they won't mind.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I'm a sax player so I can't help you much regarding guitars.

But I would suggest getting out of your cocoon and start playing with others. You will progress MUCH more rapidly and you will love playing much more.

It doesn't matter what level you are at. Maybe where you live they have student ensembles that you can pay to join. Maybe you could just find local jam sessions or friends to play with. Maybe you could find a workshop to jump into. Playing and interacting with a bassist, drummer and other musicians will teach you much more than you can ever learn playing on your own. Plus it's way more fun and it will force you to practice more.

Just my humble opinion based on my own experience....

Now I'm going to practice myself.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Find a local teacher. They are everywhere. Check at your closest music store.
A local teacher can correct what you might be doing wrong. If you focus on online lessons you might just wind up engraining the same bad habits. Especially if you are just starting to play.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

OK, my favorite insider musician joke that you finance people can relate to:

A week after the next G7 conference they should schedule a C major conference. That way they can get everything resolved.
Topic Author
RRJeff

Post by RRJeff »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:35 pm I'm a sax player so I can't help you much regarding guitars.

But I would suggest getting out of your cocoon and start playing with others. You will progress MUCH more rapidly and you will love playing much more.

It doesn't matter what level you are at. Maybe where you live they have student ensembles that you can pay to join. Maybe you could just find local jam sessions or friends to play with. Maybe you could find a workshop to jump into. Playing and interacting with a bassist, drummer and other musicians will teach you much more than you can ever learn playing on your own. Plus it's way more fun and it will force you to practice more.

Thanks for this suggestion. I would love to get together with others just to jam and learn. I need to find something in my area where I can do this.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

I agree that the social aspect of playing is important.

There are a lot of ways to connect with other players in your area. What has worked for me is to look for open mics, group guitar classes and local adult music camps. See if there are any bluegrass music organizations in your area. They tend to promote getting people together to play. Even if bluegrass is not your preferred genre it is an easy way to get into playing with others. You should be able to meet some like-minded musicians.

A side benefit is that you'll be able to check out other people's guitars which will help you in your guitar shopping.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

RRJeff wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:34 am
protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:35 pm I'm a sax player so I can't help you much regarding guitars.

Thanks for this suggestion. I would love to get together with others just to jam and learn. I need to find something in my area where I can do this.
Do you have a local music store or music school? They may be able to connect you.
And if you have the time, there are workshops all over the country (and world!), especially in the summer, that make for really fun vacations.
Also, depending on where you live, you may be able to find local musicians via social media, like maybe a Facebook group or some such thing. My main purpose of using Facebook is connecting with local musicians.
LinearRange

Post by LinearRange »

RRJeff wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:33 pm
Strummer wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:06 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:17 pm 1. Do you really need the electronics if you only play for yourself or (maybe) record at home? For around the same price premium you might pay for the pickup/preamp etc., you can buy a cheap import condenser microphone which will give much better recorded sound than an under saddle pickup or sound hole mic. I’d say, if the electronics are included, then fine - but it’s absence wouldn’t deter me from buying an otherwise great guitar.
This is an excellent point. Unless you're playing live with a drummer, the sound will be much better with a mic on the guitar rather than any sort of electronics. (Once you involve drums, you need some type of device that won't pick them up.) Pickups are useful for what they do, but they just can't capture all the overtones and harmonics you get from a good acoustic guitar.

I was assuming I needed an acoustic/electric in case I record, but getting a mic is a good suggestion. Now, how am I going to convince my wife that I NEED a new guitar? :wink:
I'm in the opposite camp. If this is going to be your one good guitar and you think you want to get into recording, then a pickup is nice to have.

I do some home recording. I have a K&K pickup in my guitar. For recording, using just the pickup is convenient and good enough if you're just trying to record a demo-quality track.

If you ever do play out it gives you some flexibility - sometimes it's simpler to plug in rather than mic it. Many of the modern pickup systems sound pretty decent.

For the price range you're looking at, looking only at guitars with electronics doesn't really limit your choices.
FRT15

Post by FRT15 »

Thanks for the Justin guitar recommendation. One other question. I am currently renting an apartment out of state for work so I am wondering if there is a way to practice with less sounds. I currently have an acoustic but was wondering if a non amplified electric or potentially other strings on the acoustic would help in volume reduction.
reader79

Post by reader79 »

I highly recommend the Martin GPC series: https://acousticguitar.com/guitar-revie ... -the-road/

I had one of those and loved it. Excellent guitar at a great price.

I have a Martin D42 now, which is amazing but a bit more money. (Before COVID, I gigged several times a month.)
VTI: 50%, QQQM: 30%, VO: 10%, VB: 10%
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

FRT15 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm Thanks for the Justin guitar recommendation. One other question. I am currently renting an apartment out of state for work so I am wondering if there is a way to practice with less sounds. I currently have an acoustic but was wondering if a non amplified electric or potentially other strings on the acoustic would help in volume reduction.
You could use an electric with a headphone amp like this one. (Monoprice is currently out of stock but I'm sure other manufacturers offer something similar.)