Rowing Machines- Home Use

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
scguy613

Rowing Machines- Home Use

Post by scguy613 »

I plan to buy a rowing machine for home use. Does anyone have comments on the Hydrow Rower vs the Ergstta rower or Nordictrac RW900? Thanks.
anon_investor

Re: Rowing Machines- Home Use

Post by anon_investor »

scguy613 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:43 pm I plan to buy a rowing machine for home use. Does anyone have comments on the Hydrow Rower vs the Ergstta rower or Nordictrac RW900? Thanks.
Why not a Concept2?
Topic Author
scguy613

Post by scguy613 »

Thanks. I will try one out.
Always passive

Post by Always passive »

In the middle of the Covid-19, I got a Life Fitness rowing machine, https://shop.lifefitness.com/row-gx-trainer. The reason I bought it instead of the Concept2 (this seems to be the standard), is that it takes less space (it is shorter) and in the room where I placed it, the Concept2 would not fit. I like it, and on those days when I do not bike, I do 30 minutes.
pannkake

Post by pannkake »

Concept 2s are not flashy, but literally every serious rower uses one. Very solid piece of equipment, and you can compare your times to 1,000s of people around the world. Whatever you get, please study some tutorials on technique and machine settings so you can get the best workout. A hint would be to not jam the resistance to max and row at 35 stokes per minute for 2 minutes, then call it a day. :)
Always passive

Post by Always passive »

pannkake wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:55 am Concept 2s are not flashy, but literally every serious rower uses one. Very solid piece of equipment, and you can compare your times to 1,000s of people around the world. Whatever you get, please study some tutorials on technique and machine settings so you can get the best workout. A hint would be to not jam the resistance to max and row at 35 stokes per minute for 2 minutes, then call it a day. :)
Can you explain better your training strategy. Thank you
SteadyWins

Post by SteadyWins »

Any interest in exploring water-based towers? My brother in law no longer used a water rower. I picked it up from him during the pandemic and have used it nearly 5 days a week for the past several months. No electric and the water swooshing is refreshing. It is challenging to adjust resistance since it’s water based so I just leave it at one level and adjust after a few months. US based product.

https://www.waterrower.com/
grsharky

Post by grsharky »

I have a Concept2 and I love it. It's a great whole body workout for sure. Find a setting on the damper that is comfortable and then go from there, I personally like it at a 4 or 5. I've been using the workouts on Apple Fitness+ and they kick my butt, I'm dripping sweat afterwards. Just remember to use proper form to avoid injury.
grsharky

Post by grsharky »

I have a Concept2 and I love it. It's a great whole body workout for sure. Find a setting on the damper that is comfortable and then go from there, I personally like it at a 4 or 5. I've been using the workouts on Apple Fitness+ and they kick my butt, I'm dripping sweat afterwards. Just remember to use proper form to avoid injury.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I'm not seeing any benefit of the "lifestyle" marketed rowers you are listing over the Concept 2, except if you like to throw money out the window.

In response to a prior post, there's a damper setting 1-10, that is supposed to be set for your drag target (a calculation in the software). Maybe the drag target should be 110 starting out. I just keep the damper at 5.5, which is usually around 125-130 drag in our basement, and where my kids in rowing years ago had it set. As far as what I do, a 6K every other day (I alternate the other day with a treadmill or jog). This is relevant for the Concept 2, not sure how the other's compute optimal drag.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Concept 2 is the gold standard. Many, many resources regarding different types of workouts for different fitness goals.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Concept 2 is the gold standard. No reason to consider any other rower.
craigers

Post by craigers »

A Concept2 model D is by FAR the best rowing machine on the market.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

Plenty of replies but a Concept2 is the answer to this question, don't even look at anything else. They were having supply issues during the pandemic but may be caught up now, and Rogue and Amazon sell them as well.

My daily indoor routine includes 5-10 minutes on a spin bike, 2000m on my Concept2 (9 minutes, roughly), and 3 sets of upper body-focused dumbbell workouts (15 minutes) for a total of about 30 minutes. You can certainly go much further than 2000m, I just have some lower back issues that I need to manage, so I keep it moderate.

On days when I'm just not feeling exercise in my basement or the weather is really nice, I go for a 1.5 mile outdoor walk.

Get the Concept2 and never look back!
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

I purchased a Hydrow rower this winter and have been enjoying the workouts far more than I expected to. The programming is immersive and there is an already vast and growing library of workouts to choose from.

My main love is bicycling but a rower is great for winter months and rainy days the rest of the year. The Hydrow is more expensive than a Concept II and there is a monthly subscription for the programming. However the programming is so fun that I am using the machine as a rower and not a clothes dryer/hanger.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Love my concept2. I do 20-40km / day and it’s a beast.

Easily one of my best purchases.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

Concept 2 - outstanding !
"Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't already have" - America
Aaand...it'sgone

Post by Aaand...it'sgone »

I have a concept2. Not 'cheap', but very good value. If you're going to splurge, why not splurge on something for your health?
rgramma

Post by rgramma »

Another vote for a Concept 2. I've owned two. Granted, I'm a little biased having been a collegiate rower, but I can't equate a rowing machine with anything else.

Also, if you have the room, consider getting the slides after you've gotten the technique down. A bit of a learning curve, but it more realistically simulates rowing on the water, makes it easier to hit higher rates (again better simulating being on the water), and places less strain on your back since you're not accelerating and decelerating your entire body each stroke.
Last edited by rgramma on Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

The level of agreement in this thread must be a boglehead record! I swear I've seen "should I leave Edward Jones?" threads with more debate!

Anyway, let me pile on. Former collegiate rower here. I wouldn't consider anything other than a Concept 2 model D.
captpete

Post by captpete »

We have a concept
We inherited it from my FIL
It’s probably 30 years old
It works perfectly
DW rowed 4 years club then 4 years college all indoor rowing was done on this brand of machine. It’s the go-to for rowing.
I run, but when I’m injured from running I row and it scratches the itch, not quite as good as running but it does do a more full body workout.
Its probably best to run and row.
captpete

Post by captpete »

Aaand...it'sgone wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:23 pm I have a concept2. Not 'cheap', but very good value. If you're going to splurge, why not splurge on something for your health?
The value is totally there... “cheap” is cheap and won’t work and may hurt you if you get a really cheap Walmart special. The Concept is tried and true.
As far as I’m concerned it’s the only rowing machine outside of a scull
rgramma

Post by rgramma »

Still standing by the C2, but I believe OrangeTheory uses the the gym/commercial variant of the WaterRower in their workouts, which speaks greatly to its quality. Not sure how well-built the home versions are. You won't have to make that compromise with the C2, as they're all gym/club/commercial grade. The smoothness and quietness of the water resistance action does have a certain appeal, though.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

I’ve posted on this before but I think there are many people for whom hydrow is a better choice than concept 2.

C2 is a very good rower, is cheaper, and is well-entrenched in the rowing community, but people who are new to rowing, aren’t training for crew or indoor competitions, and are ok paying more in exchange for a much more engaging experience should look at a hydrow.

Basically a lot of people have a love/love relationship with hydrow— and actually look forward to using it— while a lot of people have a love/hate relationship with the C2.

If you have the discipline to use a C2 then you should get it, but if being “on the water” with a olympic/national champion caliber athlete giving you tips and encouragement would make you more likely to get in the meters on the machine then the hydrow would be the better buy.

Look online at the dark horse rowing and training tall reviews on youtube if you want more.
Last edited by Iorek on Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Any recommended Concept 2 Model D vendors? Price, reliability, support - the usual stuff one would look for?
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Deadwood

Post by Deadwood »

Highly recommend a Concept 2. I have had one for over 15 years. Solid and reliable.
It's not far, we can walk.
buckeye7983

Post by buckeye7983 »

C2! :thumbsup :-D
rgramma

Post by rgramma »

TimeRunner wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 pm Any recommended Concept 2 Model D vendors? Price, reliability, support - the usual stuff one would look for?
My two Model D purchases were directly from Concept2. No issues.
LaborDoc

Post by LaborDoc »

I spent a little extra money for the Hydrow. I know myself and knew I’d need the programming/environment.

It also has great body weight exercises, yoga lessons, Pilates, etc.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rgramma wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm
TimeRunner wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 pm Any recommended Concept 2 Model D vendors? Price, reliability, support - the usual stuff one would look for?
You aren't going to find anybody selling a Concept2 under MSRP. The price is the same everywhere so you might as well just order it directly from the manufacturer.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Tattarrattat wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 am Concept 2 is the gold standard. Many, many resources regarding different types of workouts for different fitness goals.
This.
If rowing on a Concept 2 you are part of a community. OP. Go to Concept 2 website and YouTube. It is all you need to know.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm
rgramma wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm
You aren't going to find anybody selling a Concept2 under MSRP. The price is the same everywhere so you might as well just order it directly from the manufacturer.
OK, thanks.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
TJat

Post by TJat »

To pile on, I have a concept 2 and don’t think there’s a point in considering any other brand.
TSWNY

Post by TSWNY »

OP, I think you get the point, but there is nothing better than the Concept2. I love mine. Aside from being the best functioning rower, it's also super light weight and you can stand it straight up for easy out of the way storage. I keep mine in the garage and it hardly takes up any space.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Another vote for the Concept2, Model D.

Have had it a few years. The only rower you will ever need.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Buy direct.

In addition to an outstanding product, C2 provides outstanding customer service. In my 25 years of ownership I've contacted them a handful of times.

OP, whatever you buy be sure to work carefully on your technique especially starting out. Rowing is more technique dependent than an exercise bike or an elliptical and if you err you can hurt yourself.

As an aside, last week I saw a rower at a gym labelled "stairmaster." It looked so much like a C2 (except for the display) that I don't see how it isn't copyright infringement.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

tm3 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:45 am
Buy direct.

In addition to an outstanding product, C2 provides outstanding customer service. In my 25 years of ownership I've contacted them a handful of times.

OP, whatever you buy be sure to work carefully on your technique especially starting out. Rowing is more technique dependent than an exercise bike or an elliptical and if you err you can hurt yourself.

As an aside, last week I saw a rower at a gym labelled "stairmaster." It looked so much like a C2 (except for the display) that I don't see how it isn't copyright infringement.
+1 to buy direct. I doubt you will find any real discount elsewhere anyway, plus buying direct you will know you are getting the real thing and the company will hour the warranty, which I believe is quite long. The Concept2 is quite robust and basically every part is user replaceable (easy to do too) and can be purchased directly on their website.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I purchased my C2 from Amazon at the start of the pandemic. Arrived quickly and was easy to set up.

I learned technique from YT videos. Here’s a channel I liked - I’m sure there are many others.

https://youtu.be/umGWGuvtO8M
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

I’ve researched rowers in the past and Concept 2 seems like the no brained choice to me. That said, we do enjoy the immersive experience of our Peloton. Does anyone pair a 3rd part app/service for classes with their Concept 2? Does that even exist?
sam5

Post by sam5 »

I bought a Concept 2 years ago after researching machines to death and have been rowing on and off. It is a great workout and the Concept 2 is a great machine!

I had to stop rowing this spring due to lower back and hip pain. It is likely that I need to revisit my form. Can someone recommend good resources for learning proper indoor rowing form and technique?
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

2Scoops wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am I’ve researched rowers in the past and Concept 2 seems like the no brained choice to me. That said, we do enjoy the immersive experience of our Peloton. Does anyone pair a 3rd part app/service for classes with their Concept 2? Does that even exist?
I got an iPad mount for my C2 and tried watching videos and training classes on YouTube but found that I needed to focus carefully on my form and technique and keep my eyes centered and focused basically on the monitor or I had too much movement. My eyes, and then my body, drifted too much and my form slacked. I just listen to music on my AirPods now and am much happier with that. For me, at least, the full body movement is almost meditative and really helps me with managing "exercise boredom" like I get on a spin bike. The time goes by very quickly when you get into that state of total mental focus and flow.

Concept2 does have free workouts of the day you can do, or follow the Pete Plan, if you want a program to follow.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

sam5 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 am I bought a Concept 2 years ago after researching machines to death and have been rowing on and off. It is a great workout and the Concept 2 is a great machine!

I had to stop rowing this spring due to lower back and hip pain. It is likely that I need to revisit my form. Can someone recommend good resources for learning proper indoor rowing form and technique?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ82RYIFLN8

If there is a college near you with a rowing program, you also might contact them to see if anyone would do a coaching session with you.

I have a lumbar strain issue that will come up if I'm not aware. I had a session with a physical therapist who suggested some specific exercises, one of which is called the bird dog, which strengthen some of the stabilizing muscles in your back. You might book a few sessions with a PT and work on the back/hip pain for a month or two and then ease back into rowing with 1000 or 2000 meter distances.

I mentioned it higher in the thread, but I also do circuit exercise now, with time split between a spin bike, 2000m on the Concept2 and upper body focused free weights. This has been very effective thus far in strengthening my core, stabilizing muscles and preventing lower back pain.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

We have have a Waterower for over 20 years. We choose it over the air resistance units because I found the noise created by the fans to be irritating. The Waterower has been a quality product. The only maintenance it has needed is that the bolts that hold it together get loose over time as the wood shrinks and swells, so it needs periodic tightening. For more resistance, add some water, and for less, take some out. Highly recommended.
DAKn2

Post by DAKn2 »

After I started having hip pain after 25 years of running I too researched rowing machines for several months and tried several in store and by friends. To me the Concept 2 seemed the best engineered, and had a long history of performance without breakdowns/issues being detailed on various forums. It was also very easy to take apart and move.

Another good sign is resale value; I was and still am amazed how close to the current MSRP used units go for - both pre and now post (if we are truly there) pandemic.
My goal is to live forever - so far so good!
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

2Scoops wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am I’ve researched rowers in the past and Concept 2 seems like the no brained choice to me. That said, we do enjoy the immersive experience of our Peloton. Does anyone pair a 3rd part app/service for classes with their Concept 2? Does that even exist?
You can buy access to Hydrow’s app (which has tons of “immersive” on the water workouts) and I know some people consider a C2 plus streaming hydrow to a tv or tablet to be “the best of both worlds”.

I’ve also heard some people like the asensei app but I don’t know as much about it.

For form I would definitely check out the you tube channels of dark horse rowing and training tall. Austin Hendrickson (who runs training tall) also does form reviews and small group coaching via video (for like $50-100 which seems very reasonable). I think hydrow may also offer personal coaching via video.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

sam5 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 am I bought a Concept 2 years ago after researching machines to death and have been rowing on and off. It is a great workout and the Concept 2 is a great machine!

The C2 is a great piece of exercise gear but as noted it is technique dependent and improper technique can lead to injuries. I read somewhere that about 40% of rowers have reported back pain problems and I've had it myself; I've also managed to get a groin pull. So why fool with it? Well, because it enables a great workout and is a real challenge unlike going through the motions on an elliptical while checking email.

As far as form and technique I concur with finding a good coach, but that advice is often like the punch line of the old joke "just assume a can opener." Lacking a coach, I think the best thing to have is a mirror. You can get a 2'x5' or so mirror for around $100 and when laid on its side you can have a good look at your form. With the mirror you can know what you are doing during the stroke rather than think what you are doing, and coupled with YouTube videos from Concept2, TrainingTall, and Dark Horse Rowing you can "monkey see, monkey do" on the form. Training Tall and Dark Horse have follow along workout videos on YT in which they isolate different parts of the stroke for short periods of time, they set the pace, they provide tips, etc. -- lots of fun. But beware ...... those guys make it look easy and when you see what kind of output they have accomplished with what looks like so little effort it can be humbling.

When you are ready for a real challenge, give this plan a try:

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I have a C2 as well and it's great. My favorite part is the community and company support as it gives me confidence it will last me a while.
sam5 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 am I had to stop rowing this spring due to lower back and hip pain. It is likely that I need to revisit my form. Can someone recommend good resources for learning proper indoor rowing form and technique?
Check out Cassi Niemann's YouTube videos on rowing and technique. She is a great resource.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Love the Hydrow. Has me working out 5 days a week and I enjoy it much more than the Peloton that we had (and sold for a very good price). It's a fantastic workout and I love the variety of classes and locations. Expensive for sure, but it's been well worth it for me.