Should I keep stick shift car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sawhorse

Should I keep stick shift car?

Post by sawhorse »

My husband and I have one car, a stick shift 2007 Honda. It runs fine. The thing is, we live in a city with infamously bad traffic, and driving a stick shift car in city traffic is really annoying. I feel mentally and physically tired from even simple outings because of the constant shifting and getting into gear from a standstill.

We can afford to trade in the car for an automatic; money isn't the issue. But I'm hesitant because I'm worried I may forget how to drive stick, and then in the future I'll be in a situation, such as in a foreign country, in which I will need to drive a stick shift and won't be able to.

Is this a legitimate reason to keep a car that I hate driving?
John Z

Re: Should I keep stick shift car?

Post by John Z »

I think it's like riding a bicycle or swimming, once you know how to do it you don't forget.
ruud

Post by ruud »

My $0.02: My wife and I both enjoy driving stick shift cars (fortunately we live in a flat area), but I switched to an all-electric car a few years ago. I occasionally drive my wife's car without any problems. YMMV (also literally).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

John Z wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm I think it's like riding a bicycle or swimming, once you know how to do it you don't forget.
I have found that to be true as well.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

You're both unlikely to forget how to drive a manual transmission and to also never have the opportunity or need to do so in the future since automatic transmissions dominate the market. The exception might be if you rent a car overseas where manual transmissions are more common, but over time electric cars with single-speed transmissions are likely to replace those anyway. Consider, too, that constantly operating a clutch in heavy traffic requiring frequent shifting may eventually impact your knee joint.
tic

Post by tic »

After 6 years with a manual, I switched to auto more than 15 years ago. The few times since when I've had to drive a manual (ie rental car in Europe), it has all come back instantly. I suspect it will be in the same until I'm demented or dead.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

livesoft wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:52 pm
John Z wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pm I think it's like riding a bicycle or swimming, once you know how to do it you don't forget.
I have found that to be true as well.
I haven’t owned one in 20 years, but have no problem driving them on the rare occasion I need to. I think you will be fine.
crossbow

Post by crossbow »

The reverse happened to me - I drove a friend's auto after years of driving a manual sports car with a heavy duty clutch. Coming up to the first red light I instinctively kicked my left foot onto what I thought was the clutch to release the transmission into neutral, resulting in the shock of my life as I lurched forward and hit my head on the steering wheel.
plog

Post by plog »

No. Get an automatic.

The week before this undefined hypothetical vacation to a foreign city that has poor public transit and mandates manual transmission rental cars; you can rent a manual car stateside and practice.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

crossbow wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:26 pm The reverse happened to me - I drove a friend's auto after years of driving a manual sports car with a heavy duty clutch. Coming up to the first red light I instinctively kicked my left foot onto what I thought was the clutch to release the transmission into neutral, resulting in the shock of my life as I lurched forward and hit my head on the steering wheel.
Yep, been there! Older car with the double wide brake pedal got me good.

Agree it’s no big thing to go back to a stick after years.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Like others have said, it's like riding a bike. I've gone many years without driving a stick but on the last trip to Italy it all came back immediately.
squirm

Post by squirm »

If you don't like the stick , sell the car or trade it in for an automatic. Why keep it if it's frustrating?? Do you really need someone to tell you that?
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

I switched from a stick to an automatic (well a dual clutch automatic which is a lot more like a stick shift than a regular torque converted automatic) for the same reasons. I got sick of rowing gears in bumper to bumper traffic.

That said now that I can WFH and don’t commute I really wish I had a stick shift again. Plus with all the cars being stolen in my neck of the woods a stick is a great anti-theft device.

As others have said no you won’t forget how to drive one.
Watty

Post by Watty »

+1

I probably had not driven a stick in 10 or 15 years and I ended up in Ireland in a rental car driving on the left side of the road. I had to shift with my left hand instead of my right hand like in the US and how to drive a stick came right back to me.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I don't know if I've forgotten, but an automatic is more practical. I wouldn't keep a 2007 car just because it has manual.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Generally speaking, a manual transmission in the US is a millennial and onward anti theft device. If you spend a bit of time in long term parking, it may be worth holding on to for just that reason.

As already mentioned, you won't forget how to drive them.

If it were me, I would think that life is too short to drive a vehicle I didn't enjoy. Buy a newer vehicle.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

delete
Last edited by Kagord on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angst

Post by Angst »

One good thing about having a manual transmission vehicle is that no one's ever going to steal it, because they won't know how to drive it. :D
Last edited by Angst on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I drove a stick shift for about 25 years. Haven't in the last 10 years. I don't miss it at all. I feel pretty confident I could pick it back up quickly if needed.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Watty wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:47 pm
+1

I probably had not driven a stick in 10 or 15 years and I ended up in Ireland in a rental car driving on the left side of the road. I had to shift with my left hand instead of my right hand like in the US and how to drive a stick came right back to me.
I never thought about it before but I'm glad the pedals aren't also inverted. That would seriously mess with muscle memory.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've owned many cars with a proper manual transmission, including my current Subaru Crosstrek. I live near Boston and have contended with traffic quite often. I've never found it to be any problem myself. Perhaps you live somewhere with worse traffic like maybe DC or LA or Manhattan.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I alternated stick-shift and automatic several times. When I began a job where I needed to commute 40 miles to work, each way, the car I was driving, which was an automatic, died and I bought a stick-shift. Even though I had been driving an automatic for something like six years, I had no trouble adapting to stick-shift. I drove stick-shift for maybe five years, then switched to automatic transmission as part of a complicated series of swaps and exchanges involving our kids.

But my opinion is that if you are regularly driving in stop-and-go traffic, even for only part of the trip, a stick-shift is hell, fatiguing, and because it is so fatiguing, possibly dangerous. It is very hard to maintain patience. Especially if you are a stick-shift driver trying to hold station within a long line of automatic drivers who are all smoothly stopping and starting and expect you to do the same.

My experience with regard to skill is that you don't lose the basic skill, at least not quickly. Or, at least, you re-learn it within about half an hour, once you get used to the feeling of the particular gears and clutch of that particular car. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

I live in Los Angeles and I drive a stick shift. I agree with the above poster that after a while it becomes second nature like riding a bike or swimming. I live in an area with a lot of hills and it did take a while for me to get used to though.

If you really can't stand it, I suggest you trade-in, but bottom line is commuting in heavy traffic is terrible irrespective of transmission.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Your infamously bad traffic will still be infamously bad traffic, just with an auto. A new vehicle may not solve what is really the issue. Once you switch to an auto, you lose that connected feeling you have with the road and car. This is why most people don't care about vehicles anymore.

You will not forget. There is a high probability you never drive a stick shift again considering how few are made now.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

ballons wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:22 pm Your infamously bad traffic will still be infamously bad traffic, just with an auto. A new vehicle may not solve what is really the issue. Once you switch to an auto, you lose that connected feeling you have with the road and car. This is why most people don't care about vehicles anymore.

You will not forget. There is a high probability you never drive a stick shift again considering how few are made now.
I suppose a self driving car would mean that you'd be in infamously bad traffic but could want Netflix while letting the car inch along safely.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Nobody drives manuals anymore, how would they play on their phone while driving.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

None of my cars were automatic, DW's were all automatics.

Since I was the one giving driving lessons to the daughters, they all knew how to drive atick shifts. Their first vehicles were stick shifts.

Now in middle age the fun of driving a stick is over for them.

Besides, their spouses didn't know how to drive stick shifts.

I always thought a stick shift was kinda sporty. If I were driving today I would only have a stick shift if I owned an actual sports car.

Florida is flat, but owning a car in a hilly locale would preclude me from owning a stick shift for sure. The fun aspect would wear thin quickly.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

sawhorse wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:48 pm My husband and I have one car, a stick shift 2007 Honda. It runs fine. The thing is, we live in a city with infamously bad traffic, and driving a stick shift car in city traffic is really annoying. I feel mentally and physically tired from even simple outings because of the constant shifting and getting into gear from a standstill.

We can afford to trade in the car for an automatic; money isn't the issue. But I'm hesitant because I'm worried I may forget how to drive stick, and then in the future I'll be in a situation, such as in a foreign country, in which I will need to drive a stick shift and won't be able to.

I have no problem switching back to a stick after driving an automatic for a long time. I have a harder time switching from stick to auto. My foot keeps coming up to depress the clutch and hitting the brake instead. Get an automatic, just watch your foot.
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

It's always good to learn how to operate a clutch with a manual transmission. You never know when it might come in handy. But one suggestion. If you don't know how to operate a manual transmission - practice where there is very little traffic and don't get stuck upward on the middle of a steep hill. You could easily cause an accident. I trained in an old industrial areas on the weekends when the businesses were closed - our in large open parking lots after business hours.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Rudy Tooty wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:53 pm It's always good to learn how to operate a clutch with a manual transmission. You never know when it might come in handy. But one suggestion. If you don't know how to operate a manual transmission - practice where there is very little traffic and don't get stuck upward on the middle of a steep hill. You could easily cause an accident. I trained in an old industrial areas on the weekends when the businesses were closed - our in large open parking lots after business hours.
Realistically you have to find extremely steep areas to practice on, and the choices may be limited. Especially where there is no automatic roll-back prevention or hand-operated brake, as was the case for some of my cars. And if there isn't much traffic, the road maybe covered in material that will make it very difficult to gain traction (pine needles were a problem for me.) Learning will take a toll on the vehicle and tires so you may want to avoid doing that with a car you care about. Obviously as with all things some people learn quickly, and some like me take months.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

As others have said, it's unlikely you will forget. It is also unlikely you'll really need to drive manual transmission again. Even in many third-world countries abroad and Europe, automatic transmissions cars are becoming the most common.

I've been driving my manual transmission car for the last ~14 years (2004 Honda Civic) and live in a hilly location. To me it seems that is just becomes 2nd nature now even in bad traffic. I am just sad that it is unlikely I can get a family-friendly car with manual transmission anymore when it's time to replace my car.
galectin

Post by galectin »

The DW and I went through a period where we shifted ( :D ) from a manual to automatic transmission in our only car. About five years later we got a new car with a manual and had no problems driving it.

However, if the shifting is a pain to you in your commute, it makes sense to seriously consider getting an automatic.
danaht

Post by danaht »

I prefer to drive a stick shift (manual transmission)- and do drive one. But you may soon be forced to drive something else soon since the industry has been moving away from manual transmission and also is moving towards electric as well. One of the benefits of manual transmission is that I think your brakes last longer - and to me it's just funner to drive than a boring automatic. I also like coasting in neutral with a manual - and other things that are tougher or impossible to do with an automatic.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I loved my stick-shift Saab, but I will admit driving rush hour traffic in LA was a bear. And yes, I found that an automatic is less stressful for rush hour. My Tesla with one-pedal driving is even better!

Your car is ~15 years old. Treat yourself to a new one.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

sawhorse wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:48 pm My husband and I have one car, a stick shift 2007 Honda. It runs fine. The thing is, we live in a city with infamously bad traffic, and driving a stick shift car in city traffic is really annoying. I feel mentally and physically tired from even simple outings because of the constant shifting and getting into gear from a standstill.

You'll never forget.

But the best reason to keep it is to teach your kids how to drive a stick (if you have kids).

It's probably my biggest failure as a father. I was going to teach my kids how to drive a stick when they turned 15 on my Dad's truck, but I never told him my plan, and he sold it one summer when the oldest kid was still only 13.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”
Peebs

Post by Peebs »

I just reserved to reserve (yes) a 2022 VW Golf R, which might prove to be the last of the most desirable manual transmission cars sold in America going forward. I have a 32 year old right hand drive Land Rover Defender, which is a 5 speed manual, but I will probably sell that to make room for the Golf. There is no greater joy than driving a manual transmission car in the proper setting. It makes me sad to think that in a few years, there will be no manuals sold in USA. What a loss for future generations. Only those who drive one now will understand this. I will cherish and preserve the Golf. So keep the stick shift if you can.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

No, today's automatic transmissions are nice to drive although personally I would not get a CVT. Three speed transmissions from the 80s are long gone as are the Chrysler K-cars and minivans that they came in.

It will come back to you quickly. What will be more fun is any kids you have who have never driven a stick shift before will need to be take out to a large, vacant parking lot or deserted street to learn.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Peebs wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:57 pm I just reserved to reserve (yes) a 2022 VW Golf R, which might prove to be the last of the most desirable manual transmission cars sold in America going forward. I have a 32 year old right hand drive Land Rover Defender, which is a 5 speed manual, but I will probably sell that to make room for the Golf. There is no greater joy than driving a manual transmission car in the proper setting. It makes me sad to think that in a few years, there will be no manuals sold in USA. What a loss for future generations. Only those who drive one now will understand this. I will cherish and preserve the Golf. So keep the stick shift if you can.
Just get an Aston Martin Vantage...

In any case, you can get a 2021 Civic Type R today...

And if we're looking at 2022 models the WRX gets a revamp...if the STI gets 400 horses and 361 lb-ft...

And the 2022 Civic Type R is getting a new suspension and other updates that Honda is being tight lipped about.

And honestly, I'm more inclined to buy a used Type R than a used Golf. I guess one point in its favor is that the Golf R is actually made in Germany. Then again, so was my Porsche.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Another vote for "it all comes back when you need it". I hadn't used a manual for about 10 years when we rented one in Italy. Took a few minutes to get used to the 6 speed shift pattern (I was used to 5 speeds) and then all was good.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I had never owned an auto in my life until 3 years ago. I really enjoyed manuals. But I developed back issues and needed an SUV with good seat comfort, so the manual was out. Now I wonder why I was such a stickler about manuals. I think it's because autos weren't as good as they are now. Autos shift faster, get better mpg, and have better 0-60 times than manual transmissions. None of that was true about 10 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about forgetting to drive a stick. By the time you forget, there will be no sticks because of electric/hybrid drivetrains. If you think you need practice get a car with paddle shifters and it will allow you to do upshift/downshift manually (of course, with no clutch).
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

You wont forget - I bought a car in 2018 with a stick - easy peasy - and my wife wanted to drive it - been years for her - since likely 2002 or so - she had no problem - and I was a bit freaked with her driving my new baby - but she did well - even on the freeway.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

I drove a 1960s pickup truck in LA rush hour a couple times; shifting wasn't such a big deal when there were only three gears. :D The next time I drove a stick, many years later, I stalled a couple times, but not a big deal, it happens, take a breath and get back to it. Unfortunately, I haven't had the occasion to buy a vehicle with a manual, so only driven on friends and family, but maybe one day.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Just remember to push in the clutch to start the car and you will be fine.
eric321

Post by eric321 »

Newer stick shifts are easier than older stick shifts with hill start assist.a stick shift transmission lasts longer and is the bogglehead thing to do.

See if you can rent a newer stick shift from a site like turo and see if the transmission is really the problem.

Fewer stick shifts out there now. Most are in two camps, performance cars and budget (Boglehead specials).

I got my 2018 jeep at the end of the model year. The dealer advertised it as new for 17.5k to get people in the door. Oh you want an automatic, that's an extra 1.5k, awd another 1.5k, the extra 3k off, only for this no option stick shift and all the auto awd we have are higher trims. So you thought you could buy for 17.5k and you are out the door for 30k. I bought it for 17.5k cash and skipped the dealer add ons.

Save the manuals.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

+1. Agree. I have not driven a stick shift in 20 years but am confident I could do it when needed.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

John Z wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:51 pmI think it's like riding a bicycle or swimming, once you know how to do it you don't forget.
+1.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I grew up driving a stick, my first couple of adult cars were stick shift, dad drove a stick until the day he died, and brother still has dad’s old car.

I replaced my stick with an automatic 15 years ago, when I was giving myself knee problems from commuting in heavy traffic with a stick shift. No regrets. So much better. And yes, I can still drive dad’s old car. It comes right back.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

Just jumped back to a stick after 7 years away. Not a problem at all.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Lol, I can relate! Learned to drive stick shift in Manhattan, NYC. I still have flashbacks of sitting at red lights, counting down the seconds to green, rehearsing in my mind how to get into 1st gear within the 0.1 nanosecond it will take before the guy behind me starts honking. Oh and the horror of stalling out on a green light, the deafening silence of bewilderment of the cars behind me, before the cacophany of blaring horns begins. Good times.
I miss driving manual, and am seriously considering a Miata or Mini Cooper as a weekend driver for my last ICE car.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I took a seven year break from having a manual transmission, and I didn't forget. (And I've been driving stick ever since, because it's the best! :D :D :D :D )

I do realize I'm on borrowed time until electric cars takeover, with no transmissions.