Potential Relocation to Austin - Should We Do It?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AMD84

Potential Relocation to Austin - Should We Do It?

Post by AMD84 »

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This community has been such a great help to me and I am truly grateful for all the wonderful contributions that everyone makes.

I currently work at a company in the SF Bay Area and have the option to relocate to the company’s North Austin office. My spouse (33) and I (37) are hoping to have children within the next couple years and are looking to settle in a family-friendly area. Our current financials are:

Retirement account = $410k
Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
Mortgage = $650k (realtor estimates condo value is ~$870k based on recent comparable sales in the neighborhood)
No other debt.

My income = Base: $175k, Stock: $160k
Spouse income = Base: $130k

My income would decrease by 10% if we move to Austin while my spouse’s income would be unchanged. We would also sell the condo and have no interest in being out of state landlords.

We would like to purchase a newer home in a good school district that is ideally within a 30 minute commute to the office. The price for this kind of home in the Bay Area is extremely expensive and is one of the biggest factors in considering the move to Austin. On the other hand, our friends and family are in the Bay Area and one concern would be having to create a new network of friends. While we very much enjoy the food and weather here, we do not really care for the beach and mountains and rarely spend any time in nature.

Would you pull the trigger and make the move out of the Bay Area?
DarkHelmetII

Re: Potential Relocation to Austin - Should We Do It?

Post by DarkHelmetII »

From a stranger on the internet ... the financial incentives are clear. No state level income tax + somewhat lower cost of living would pretty much be a no brainer for me. At a macro level I don't think Austin is as much of a deal as it used to be but still much more reasonable than San Fran.

I'd rent for several years IMHO. 5+ years until your would be kid enters kindergarten.

Lastly - friends + family in Bay Area is a material consideration that makes the overall decision less black and white. Does family plan on staying indefinitely there, especially if grandkids?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

We're considering a relocation also, and one of the things that you need to think about is whether you will be comfortable in the new area. People in different areas of the country have different perspectives on things, and some may not necessarily match up with yours. We spent a great deal of time searching (and still searching) to find an area that may fit us, or more correctly may not not fit us, if you catch my drift.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
mkc

Post by mkc »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am

My income would decrease by 10% if we move to Austin while my spouse’s income would be unchanged. We would also sell the condo and have no interest in being out of state landlords.

We would like to purchase a newer home in a good school district that is ideally within a 30 minute commute to the office. The price for this kind of home in the Bay Area is extremely expensive and is one of the biggest factors in considering the move to Austin.
Research property taxes (especially the school tax portion) in Austin first. You may find that while Texas doesn't have an income tax, the property taxes are significantly higher than many realize. When we left in 2018, a home assessed at $375K was paying nearly $9K per year combined property tax.

The 30 minute commute will depend on where in Austin the office is/what roads and your hours. We worked in north Austin and lived just north of 1431. Commute could be anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes, occasionally longer, depending on time of day/traffic.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

The homeless situation in Austin would be a non-starter for me. You get harassed at every red light, and walking on a sidewalk feels dangerous. At least public camping has now been banned, but panhandling is business as usual. There is rampant drug abuse and the theft that goes along with it. I suppose SF has these problems as well, but don't know the extent. Also get ready for a major change in climate....hot and dry.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:51 pm We're considering a relocation also, and one of the things that you need to think about is whether you will be comfortable in the new area. People in different areas of the country have different perspectives on things, and some may not necessarily match up with yours. We spent a great deal of time searching (and still searching) to find an area that may fit us, or more correctly may not not fit us, if you catch my drift.
I know a lot of people who have gone back and forth between the Bay Area and Austin, some on multiple occasions. The weather seems to be the biggest difference between the two, rather than the people and culture.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

sailaway wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:12 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:51 pm We're considering a relocation also, and one of the things that you need to think about is whether you will be comfortable in the new area. People in different areas of the country have different perspectives on things, and some may not necessarily match up with yours. We spent a great deal of time searching (and still searching) to find an area that may fit us, or more correctly may not not fit us, if you catch my drift.
I know a lot of people who have gone back and forth between the Bay Area and Austin, some on multiple occasions. The weather seems to be the biggest difference between the two, rather than the people and culture.
What's wrong with the weather? Too hot?

I'm hearing it's not as bad as Houston where it's hot + humid, but I haven't been to either place. I am looking at Dallas though.
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

Have you lived anywhere else but the Bay Area? Austin is a nice city and growing but there is a lot of fundamental differences between the 2 places.

Have you visited the area recently? I would suggest going for a long weekend and looking around.

I am very happy I left the Bay Area and starting a family you can find some nice places north of Austin with great schools. I really like west of Austin in the hills. I know a great real estate agent in Austin I would recommend if you need someone you can count on. PM me if you like.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I wouldn't assume you can easily find a great school and an easy 30 minute commute. Austin is growing fast and probably still has significant traffic issues.

Weather will be hotter, and will be humid/muggier compared to someone from the west coast.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. This community has been such a great help to me and I am truly grateful for all the wonderful contributions that everyone makes.

I currently work at a company in the SF Bay Area and have the option to relocate to the company’s North Austin office. My spouse (33) and I (37) are hoping to have children within the next couple years and are looking to settle in a family-friendly area. Our current financials are:

Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
Mortgage = $650k (realtor estimates condo value is ~$870k based on recent comparable sales in the neighborhood)
No other debt.

We would like to purchase a newer home in a good school district that is ideally within a 30 minute commute to the office. The price for this kind of home in the Bay Area is extremely expensive and is one of the biggest factors in considering the move to Austin. On the other hand, our friends and family are in the Bay Area and one concern would be having to create a new network of friends. While we very much enjoy the food and weather here, we do not really care for the beach and mountains and rarely spend any time in nature.

financially it seems to make sense
10% less income
but you no longer have the state income tax

As you indicate - homes are more affordable in Austin. Overpriced in my opinion right now but even overpriced it is more affordable than California. Keep in mind property taxes are more but you can see how much property taxes are when searching for homes.

Gas prices better in Texas, energy prices cheaper as well (but you're likely aware of the price we paid as a result of deregulation, poor weatherization etc....)

Big question is the family piece - it helps so much to have family around with you. will you move to Texas, miss family, then in a few years decide to move back? that's hard to say up front but my only thing to really consider beyond the financial piece.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:13 pm

I'm hearing it's not as bad as Houston where it's hot + humid, but I haven't been to either place. I am looking at Dallas though.
Hot and Humid. Not as humid as Houston but more humid than San Francisco. But people drive everywhere, parking is good so you just walk from car to wherever you're going. Depending on if you live downtown or other very walkeable areas it doesn't matter that it's hot and humid since people drive everywhere.
When you do decide to spend time outside, lots of sunblock, be prepared to sweat and stink, you never get "used to it" but you just tolerate it. Also you avoid outdoor stuff during the peak sun hours.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

helloeveryone wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:28 pm Hot and Humid. Not as humid as Houston but more humid than San Francisco. But people drive everywhere, parking is good so you just walk from car to wherever you're going. Depending on if you live downtown or other very walkeable areas it doesn't matter that it's hot and humid since people drive everywhere.
When you do decide to spend time outside, lots of sunblock, be prepared to sweat and stink, you never get "used to it" but you just tolerate it. Also you avoid outdoor stuff during the peak sun hours.
Thank you. Weather is definitely important. PNW is too cold and Austin might be too hot & humid lol.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Austin (and Dallas) are actually hotter than Houston in the summer, albeit marginally less humid. It's really not any better or worse (in my opinion), and you don't have the easy escape to Galveston from Austin (which is often 10* cooler with sea breezes).

However, I would point out that it's only REALLY bad for about 2 months, and bad for 4. The other 8 months of the year are generally pretty good. That said, coming from the Bay Area, you are most likely going to consider Texas weather a downgrade. It would be less clear from the Midwest or Northeast. Some parts of Houston (within ~20 miles of Galveston bay) get sea breezes around sundown in the summer that can make summer evenings relatively tolerable for a few hours.

IMO, the biggest problem with Austin is that the city has grown so fast the infrastructure hasn't kept up. The roads are a mess, and getting across town can take a very long time. Real estate is cheap relative to the Bay Area, but it has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. Many of the cool outdoor stuff that used to be uncrowded and freely accessible now requires reservations weeks in advance.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

Moved from California to Texas (San Antonio), lived there for 10 years, traveled a bit, now back in the Bay Area to be closer to family.

Personally I don't care for Austin, it is not my kind of city. I much preferred Houston. That being said, the biggest problem for me was being so far from family. It is a 4 hour flight from Austin to SFO plus the time difference.

Yes Austin is a liberal city but it is a very conservative state and the seat of a conservative state legislature. That can be a plus or minus I suppose. The weather in Austin is miserable in the summer but if you are mostly in the air conditioning then that doesn't matter much. Think of a steam sauna, that is a TX summer.

Pre-pandemic traffic was miserable. About the same as SF traffic.

I have friends who live in Wells Branch and it seems like a very family friendly neighborhood.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:33 pm Austin (and Dallas) are actually hotter than Houston in the summer, albeit marginally less humid. It's really not any better or worse (in my opinion), and you don't have the easy escape to Galveston from Austin (which is often 10* cooler with sea breezes).

However, I would point out that it's only REALLY bad for about 2 months, and bad for 4. The other 8 months of the year are generally pretty good. That said, coming from the Bay Area, you are most likely going to consider Texas weather a downgrade. It would be less clear from the Midwest or Northeast.

IMO, the biggest problem with Austin is that the city has grown so fast the infrastructure hasn't kept up. The roads are a mess, and getting across town can take a very long time. Real estate is cheap relative to the Bay Area, but it has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. Many of the cool outdoor stuff that used to be uncrowded and freely accessible now requires reservations weeks in advance.
I see. I'm from CA and now in PNW, it's cold here but I need to decide if Texas would be a good choice. While I haven't been to Austin, my sentiment is the same - it has grown so fast already that other places such as Dallas might make more sense.

The only issue with Dallas is the tech industry isn't as strong as Austin.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 pm
alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:33 pm Austin (and Dallas) are actually hotter than Houston in the summer, albeit marginally less humid. It's really not any better or worse (in my opinion), and you don't have the easy escape to Galveston from Austin (which is often 10* cooler with sea breezes).

However, I would point out that it's only REALLY bad for about 2 months, and bad for 4. The other 8 months of the year are generally pretty good. That said, coming from the Bay Area, you are most likely going to consider Texas weather a downgrade. It would be less clear from the Midwest or Northeast.

I see. I'm from CA and now in PNW, it's cold here but I need to decide if Texas would be a good choice. While I haven't been to Austin, my sentiment is the same - it has grown so fast already that other places such as Dallas might make more sense.

I have to admit I'm a bit biased as a Houstonian (the cities have a bit of a rivalry), but I have to admit the appeal of Dallas mystifies me (other than for specific job opportunities). It has the undifferentiated sprawl of Houston, but without the International flavor or proximity to the ocean. It also gets winter weather more often and is subject to tornadoes, though I suppose Houston has to deal with hurricanes (but that's more of a once a decade thing)
TomWambsgans

Post by TomWambsgans »

Love these SF Bay Area threads. There has been a lot of Austin vs SF Bay Area chatter generally--so Google it, if you haven't already. A few things to bear in mind:
1. For the uninitiated: San Francisco (and its attendant homelessness, filth, drug use, etc.) is not necessarily the same as the SF Bay Area.
2. Austin has bugs. The Bay Area generally does not.
3. Bay Area has proximity to mountains, ocean, etc. Austin doesn't, but that won't matter if you don't care anyway.
4. As others have mentioned, the property taxes in Austin can be a bit of a shock.
5. You may--don't know your specific situation--sacrifice career prospects if you move to Austin. For some of us, being in the mix is part of the allure of the Bay Area. Austin has developed its scene more, but it isn't the same.
mkc

Post by mkc »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Austin (and Dallas) are actually hotter than Houston in the summer, albeit marginally less humid.
We lived in the DFW area for 12 years (after 13 in Austin). One thing we noticed about NTX is that after daytime highs around 100F, it would still be 90-95F at 9 PM. It just didn't seem to cool off very fast, even after the sun went down.

Anything yard work or exterior maintenance we needed to do in the summer, we did between 6 and 8 AM.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:48 pm I have to admit I'm a bit biased as a Houstonian (the cities have a bit of a rivalry), but I have to admit the appeal of Dallas mystifies me (other than for specific job opportunities). It has the undifferentiated sprawl of Houston, but without the International flavor or proximity to the ocean. It also gets winter weather more often and is subject to tornadoes, though I suppose Houston has to deal with hurricanes (but that's more of a once a decade thing)
While I have nothing against Houston, two reasons I prefer Dallas are humidity and hurricanes. Some winter weather in Dallas is OK, just not 8-months-long like here in PNW.

I'm still thinking if moving to Dallas makes sense at all though. I'll have to take a pay cut, and relocation expenses would be out of pocket. The tech job market is weaker. I don't like the PNW weather but it might just make sense to stay here despite that.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

TomWambsgans wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:52 pm Love these SF Bay Area threads. There has been a lot of Austin vs SF Bay Area chatter generally--so Google it, if you haven't already. A few things to bear in mind:
1. For the uninitiated: San Francisco (and its attendant homelessness, filth, drug use, etc.) is not necessarily the same as the SF Bay Area.
2. Austin has bugs. The Bay Area generally does not.
3. Bay Area has proximity to mountains, ocean, etc. Austin doesn't, but that won't matter if you don't care anyway.
4. As others have mentioned, the property taxes in Austin can be a bit of a shock.
5. You may--don't know your specific situation--sacrifice career prospects if you move to Austin. For some of us, being in the mix is part of the allure of the Bay Area. Austin has developed its scene more, but it isn't the same.
Austin does have "hills"...like little tiny non-mountain type of hills. (just google Mount Bonnell.... a tiny, oh so tiny but very popular 775 foot hill) Nice State Parks with rivers and beauty within a few hours drive as well. Not nearly as beautiful scenery as California though
staustin

Post by staustin »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Uncontrolled, explosive growth has created a difficult situation in our fair city. Traffic has returned to pre-pandemic levels; it's now necessary to plan trips beyond your area of town around traffic, otherwise it's impossible to go. For example, my daughter attends UT, we're in the southwest part of town. Normally it's a 15 minute trip, but, increasingly during a 2pm/3pm to 7 'rush hour', it's well over an hour. Restaurant reservations are hard to come by. Homes are on a bid basis due to ZERO (not limited) inventory. Zero. Just last week, a 2,000 sf home in our neighborhood was listed for a reasonable 430,000. Two days and 30+ bids later, the home sold for 596,000. 3500 sf houses are now selling above 1mm.. Homes are on a bid basis well above asking price. And, as others have noted, there is a complicated homeless situation in the area due to the city council having rescinded a camping ban a few years back. Tent cities popped up on the town lake trail and under many overpasses. A local grass roots referendum was recently successful to re-instate the ban but it will take some time to be resolved. The DW and i never thought we'd leave Austin but as we approach retirement, are leaning more and more towards moving. It's not the easy going, outdoor lifestyle, college town anymore. On a positive note the weather is dry but moderate most of the year. Extremely hot and dry from late July till the end of September. It's not unusual to have 100 degree days well into September. We're used to it and actually have come to enjoy the heat in many ways. And, lastly, no doubt a tremendous of wealth creation in the city the past few years.. it's a dynamic economic environment.

edited to remove a comment regarding state of texas regulatory environment that, upon reflection, is not relevant to the conversation.
UM2009

Post by UM2009 »

Been here 5 years. Moved from DC. No regrets.
The homeless situation in Austin would be a non-starter for me. You get harassed at every red light, and walking on a sidewalk feels dangerous. At least public camping has now been banned, but panhandling is business as usual. There is rampant drug abuse and the theft that goes along with it. I suppose SF has these problems as well, but don't know the extent.
Not my experience at all. And I live in Central Austin. The homeless congregate in certain areas, but I've never been harassed at a red light or on the sidewalk. I do avoid the areas in which they congregate.
Hot and Humid. Not as humid as Houston but more humid than San Francisco.
Definitely hot during the summer. Not humid, except when compared to certain places with very low humidity. Almost always a dry heat, from which the shade offers considerable relief.
Totally agree about the infrastructure. Traffic is bad. But DC was worse. Outdoor activities are all about avoiding the hot spots. Lots of hidden gems. Same was true in DC.

The WORST, ABSOLUTE WORST thing about Austin: prevalence of daytime mosquitos (Aedes aegypti); way worse than in northern locales.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Texas isn’t as cheap as it likes to portray itself as, and Austin is very expensive and has way too many people.

A 30 minute commute in Austin likely puts your residence about 5 miles from the office. I kid, but only a little.

To each their own, but I have never understood the hype and appeal of Austin.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

I lived in both places for a number of years, but it's been a long time. Your primary motivation is cost of living and real estate - check the prospective houses in Austin because it has shot way, way up, in no small part due to the many Californians relocating there. It's no longer the relative bargain it was 5, 10, years ago.

That aside, the food scene is every bit as good (or better). The weather is the most tolerable of the big 3 Texas regions, but I personally still find it *oppressive* in the summer.

Social aspect is a personal topic, although the generally "vibe" in Austin is young and friendly - and now you'll be amongst transplants.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

No state income tax but very high property taxes. Austin summers are brutally hot and very long. Traffic in the city and suburbs is a nightmare but not that much different than Bay area. The recent population explosion has left infrastructure significantly under-capacity - attending public events can be a hassle as you will be with tens of thousands of your fellow citizens - not that different than bay area. Austin is supposedly a liberal city but that is mostly compared to other places in the state of Texas - so expect a very different sociopolitical culture than the Bay area. Also very different from the bay area, folks there tend to be more religious than average, some to an extreme degree. We had 2 kids attend UT Austin - a great school especially for engineering (but gigantic). We were shocked by how much theft and petty crime occurs downtown. Local thieves will steal anything of value almost immediately that isn't secured under heavy lock and key. Having said all that if I was forced to move to Texas I'd likely choose Austin or a close in suburb rather than any other cities in Texas. For seriously horrible places to live check out Midland or Odessa Texas...yikes.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Random Poster wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:51 pm Texas isn’t as cheap as it likes to portray itself as
This is an important point. There is no state income tax, sales tax and property taxes are high. There are a lot of folks whose property tax bills exceed their mortgage (especially if they've been in their house a long time). But a high income individual who lives below their means will come out on top in Texas from a tax standpoint.
Nightowl99

Post by Nightowl99 »

A lot of people in Houston consider Dallas to be the armpit of Texas. You couldn't pay me $0.50 to move to Dallas. Just sayin'-- people in Dallas may have a different opinion, though.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I'm disappointed. Seems like Austin is already super expensive and my Dallas is being bashed as the armpit of Texas. I'm stuck in PNW.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Plan a week vacation in Austin in July or August. Experience the temp/humidity and decide for yourself if you are ok with it. You can also get some idea about housing by contacting a real estate agent. Get some feel for the city. DW and I have done this with other cities that appeared to be perfect on paper and then after only a couple vacation days, we crossed them off our list.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:13 pm
Random Poster wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:51 pm Texas isn’t as cheap as it likes to portray itself as
This is an important point. There is no state income tax, sales tax and property taxes are high.
This is an important point. Other states have similar sales taxes and property taxes. Here's a map fo the USA:
https://files.taxfoundation.org/2020011 ... s-2020.pdf and Texas seems about average and less than California. While the property tax rates may be higher, since property values are lower, the actual property taxes are not too bad.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CaptainSaver

Post by CaptainSaver »

Not sure that I would.

Your income would drop by 10%, are you sure you are going to net more than that with cost of living decreases?
If so, by how much?

Austin is farther from family, and has worse weather.

Trying to buy a house in Austin right now is unlike any time in its history, the housing market is absolutely crazy.

That said, you likely could find a decent single family home near the workplace campus for cheaper than elsewhere in the Bay Area.

Zooming out some, with a household income of over $450k the world really is your oyster and in my opinion you should do whatever you think would result in the highest quality of life.

And, while Austin's housing market has been wild, it has been on a long term tear with no real indication of what is going to stop it. I am guessing the tech company you work for has been experiencing something similar.

On the point about the rough summers, it is certainly true. That said, how much vacation time do you get? Summer is a great time to 'get away' to cooler climes. If you do visit Austin during the summer, try to visit Barton Springs. It is a naturally cool spring fed pool (~70 Fahrenheit) and swimming in it in the summer is one of life's great pleasures :)
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:50 pm I'm disappointed. Seems like Austin is already super expensive and my Dallas is being bashed as the armpit of Texas. I'm stuck in PNW.
Horses for courses but between those 3 PNW is the top pick
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:47 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:50 pm I'm disappointed. Seems like Austin is already super expensive and my Dallas is being bashed as the armpit of Texas. I'm stuck in PNW.
Horses for courses but between those 3 PNW is the top pick
Ever lived here? It's good these days, but oh my goodness. The winter was ridiculous - dark, cold and rainy every day.
Watty

Post by Watty »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
I am not familiar with the Austin housing market but I would suspect that you could pay cash for a nice house if you really wanted to.

One thing to give you some perspective is that with a $650K mortgage you are likely paying over $18K a year in interest right now. If you eventually buy a single family home in the Bay Area you will likely pay even a lot more in mortgage interest each year. If you move to Austin and have a $10K property tax bill you could still come out ahead.

Even with the property taxes Austin would be an easy choice from a financial point of view.
AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am On the other hand, our friends and family are in the Bay Area and one concern would be having to create a new network of friends.
If by family you mean your parents then it would be good to talk to them to see if they might have any interest in retiring in Austin some day. That would not work for many people but if they own an expensive house in the Bay Area then they might be tempted to retire in Austin if that would mean they could sell their house, buy a much nicer house in Austin, and retire ten years sooner.

It would be really good to talk with them since they might feel that they can't leave the Bay Area because you live there, and you feel you can't leave the Bay Area because they live there.

It is a long way off but when you are thinking of the family considerations you may also want to consider how where you live will impact your future kids when they grow up and are adults. A long time ago I lived in the Bay Area(Sunnyvale) which has always been expensive and even back then some of my older coworkers had grown up kids that were well into their 20s who were still living with them. The problem was that even with roommates they could not afford to move out an apartment since they did not have high paying tech jobs. In contrast I have moved around and I am retired in a medium to low cost of living area(Atlanta) and my grown up son was easily able to afford to buy a nice house that is about ten minutes away from us which is especially nice since we frequently get to see our grandkids. Virtually all of his high school and college classmates who stayed in the area were able to afford to buy nice homes when they were in their 20s.
AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am My spouse (33) and I (37) are hoping to have children within the next couple years and are looking to settle in a family-friendly area.
Moving to Austin could allow you to go down to one income when you have kids so you could have a stay at home parent. If you buy a more expensive single family home in the Bay Area that might be real hard to do.

Even if you do not plan on that people often change their minds when it comes down to actually dropping an infant off at daycare. If one of your kids has even minor and temporary health issues then daycare may not be a desirable or even possible option.
AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:38 am We would like to purchase a newer home in a good school district that is ideally within a 30 minute commute to the office.
When I moved to Atlanta I bought a house that was a pretty consistent 30 minute commute to my office. By the time I retired 13 years later it was up to 45 minutes on a good day and it was inconsistent and there were often not so good, bad, really bad, and commute from hell days. This was because there had been a lot of development and traffic had gotten worse. I retired when I was 58 and if the commute had not gotten so bad I might have worked another year or two.

If at all possible it would be good to buy a house that has a much shorter commute even if it is a lot more expensive. Even with the pay decrease you would still be making fantastic money for Texas.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Poster wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:51 pmTo each their own, but I have never understood the hype and appeal of Austin.
Ditto, I totally thought it would be my kind of place, but I was not sad to leave. The negatives (COL, traffic, crowded recreational activities) have gotten substantially worse since I left in '10. It's popular to hate on Houston, but I much preferred my time there over Austin.

If the alternative is the Bay Area though, I would already be packing my bags.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

According to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_A ... mographics

Greater Austin roughly doubled in population from 1960 to 1980, then ~doubled again to 2000, then nearly doubled again to 2019. (Also a double from 1920 to 1940, and a more than double from 1940 to 1960).

An area that ~doubles in population every 20 years, and keeps doing that, has pluses and minuses.

On the plus side, yes, it's good for housing prices.

On the minus side, it's pretty hard to expect infrastructure to really keep pace with the rapid growth, perhaps moreso with a low-ish tax environment like Texas.

I'm not an Austin-ite, so only guessing, but the difficulty of growing infrastructure to keep pace with the booming population probably manifests especially in state/city-provided infrastructure (roads, schools, etc.), but might also show up in areas like private businesses (i.e. good restaurants and entertainment areas being overcrowded), and perhaps cultural institutions (parks, zoos, museums, etc.).
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I went through this question 10 years ago and I am happy I decided not to move to Austin.
My main reasons were: 1. less companies and jobs available in case of a contraction 2. the unbearable weather for 6 months 3.nature: no mountains, ski, ocean etc.
Friends were not an issue, I have some in Austin.
Except housing there is no significant cost of living advantage. And housing in BA is not really cost of living, but a leverage investment (until now). True, Austin RE is crazy now.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

So, this is a financial forum, and yes, on the surface of it, you can probably do a bit better financially in Austin.

At your income, though, I’m thinking you can probably live wherever you want and do fine either way. Leaving family and friends for a financial situation that wouldn’t really be life changing would give me pause. I’ve never lived in Austin, but I wasn’t super impressed the times I visited. It just seemed like a hot place where people spent all their time in the car.

So the one thing I have to add that might be useful is that i know you don’t want to be a landlord, but when we went through this particular circus a few years ago (it was Seattle, not Austin, but basically the same thing), we were mighty glad we’d kept the California house and it’s property tax basis. When we moved to Seattle, we weren’t sure what we wanted, so we leased the CA house out, with the idea that when we made up our minds for sure, we would sell the house. We ended up being massively homesick, and moving back into our old house four years later.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
AMD84

Post by AMD84 »

Thanks to everyone who has responded, we really appreciate it. To answer some of the questions that have been posed:
Lastly - friends + family in Bay Area is a material consideration that makes the overall decision less black and white. Does family plan on staying indefinitely there, especially if grandkids?
This has come up in conversation and my in-laws would consider moving to Austin when grandkids are in the picture. Some other family members have expressed interest but are still very much in fact finding mode.
Have you lived anywhere else but the Bay Area? Austin is a nice city and growing but there is a lot of fundamental differences between the 2 places.
I went to college in Southern California and my spouse went to graduate school in the Midwest. One potential concern is that my spouse can tolerate hot weather but does not particularly love it. We do assume that we would get used to the weather as we did during our school days.
Have you visited the area recently? I would suggest going for a long weekend and looking around.
Thanks for the suggestion, we plan on visiting for five days in July. I have spent three weeks (2 weeks in summer, 1 in winter) in Austin over the last 4 years for work and have enjoyed it whereas my spouse has never visited.
Not sure that I would.

Your income would drop by 10%, are you sure you are going to net more than that with cost of living decreases?
If so, by how much?

Austin is farther from family, and has worse weather.

Trying to buy a house in Austin right now is unlike any time in its history, the housing market is absolutely crazy.

That said, you likely could find a decent single family home near the workplace campus for cheaper than elsewhere in the Bay Area.

Zooming out some, with a household income of over $450k the world really is your oyster and in my opinion you should do whatever you think would result in the highest quality of life.

And, while Austin's housing market has been wild, it has been on a long term tear with no real indication of what is going to stop it. I am guessing the tech company you work for has been experiencing something similar.
The home we are looking for is ~2,200 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and within 10 miles of the office. Looking at homes that have closed in the past month that fit this description, we see this:

Santa Clara: average = $2.36M, min = $1.75M, max = $2.94M
Cedar Park: average = $521k, min = $441k, max = $625k

We tend to be more conservative and would only consider our base salaries when assessing our budget for purchasing a home.
I should be clear here as well and mention that in this case, the only two options for my company are the Bay Area or Austin as permanent remote is not viable. It's hard to imagine purchasing in the Bay Area at these prices but perhaps we should be more open to either renting for the long term or compromising on the home.
I went through this question 10 years ago and I am happy I decided not to move to Austin.
My main reasons were: 1. less companies and jobs available in case of a contraction 2. the unbearable weather for 6 months 3.nature: no mountains, ski, ocean etc.
Friends were not an issue, I have some in Austin.
Except housing there is no significant cost of living advantage. And housing in BA is not really cost of living, but a leverage investment (until now). True, Austin RE is crazy now.

Does anyone think with the influx of companies moving to Austin that reason 1 is not as big of an issue as it was 10 years ago? I am very happy with my current company but cannot predict what the future will hold.
So the one thing I have to add that might be useful is that i know you don’t want to be a landlord, but when we went through this particular circus a few years ago (it was Seattle, not Austin, but basically the same thing), we were mighty glad we’d kept the California house and it’s property tax basis. When we moved to Seattle, we weren’t sure what we wanted, so we leased the CA house out, with the idea that when we made up our minds for sure, we would sell the house. We ended up being massively homesick, and moving back into our old house four years later.
In terms of keeping our Bay Area property, it is not a place that we live in the long term due to space considerations. Would that change your thinking in this case?
beyou

Post by beyou »

My employer is forcing a move to a similarly fast growing town far from our HCOL home. I turned it down in favor of severance, not going to uproot the family to pay lower taxes, and/or get a bigger home.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
No other debt.

I'd move out of the Bay Area if I could work work remotely. I live in Texas and Austin is a great city.

TravelforFun
rascott

Post by rascott »

Hard pass IMHO.

Have yet to understand the appeal of basically anywhere in the state of Texas. San Antonio the only city that's been the least bit appealing.

Austin was great like 20 years ago. I don't see your quality of life improving by this move in any way.

The bay area is beautiful and has weather conducive to humans actually living there. Yeah it's crazy expensive real estate, but that's for a good reason.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:18 am

Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
No other debt.

I'd move out of the Bay Area if I could work work remotely. I live in Texas and Austin is a great city.

TravelforFun
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

consider your career options if you leave your current employer. Are there other firms in AUS that are attractive to you? One of the plusses of the SCV is that you can roll down the street to another firm and rock on. The catch for those doing the "work from anywhere" thing is that this will be less easy.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

leftcoaster wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:39 am consider your career options if you leave your current employer. Are there other firms in AUS that are attractive to you? One of the plusses of the SCV is that you can roll down the street to another firm and rock on. The catch for those doing the "work from anywhere" thing is that this will be less easy.
Probably not an issue for Austin as they have Google, Zoom, Twilio just to name a few.

I do think about this when considering Dallas; some tech companies are there but not as strong as SCV / Seattle / Austin.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 pm
In terms of keeping our Bay Area property, it is not a place that we live in the long term due to space considerations. Would that change your thinking in this case?
If you’re sure you wouldn’t want to come back to the same house, then yeah, sell it. Being a remote landlord is a pain.

We kept the house because we bought it in the 90’s and it has a Mills Act contract, so we have low, low property taxes. Also, we love the house, and will live here until we can’t anymore. We also love the neighborhood, but if we had to pay property taxes based on current values, we probably wouldn’t be able to justify living in this neighborhood.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Marseille07 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:51 pm Ever lived here? It's good these days, but oh my goodness. The winter was ridiculous - dark, cold and rainy every day.
im in higher latitude - our winters are the same, but even colder and darker :)

that said, between PNW - Austin - Dallas, you can dress more for the cold and wet, but you cant undress more against the sticky persistent heat. The natural geography is also much more inspiring. You get a small flavor of that in west of Austin in the hill country. And absolutely none of that in suburbanville DFW
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

helloeveryone wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Hot and Humid. Not as humid as Houston but more humid than San Francisco. But people drive everywhere, parking is good so you just walk from car to wherever you're going. Depending on if you live downtown or other very walkeable areas it doesn't matter that it's hot and humid since people drive everywhere.
Hot. Yes. But on average, less humid than SF, not more so

San Francisco's average humidity is 75%
https://weather-and-climate.com/average ... of-America

Austin's average humidity is 67%
https://weather-and-climate.com/average ... of-America
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Taxable account = $520k
Cash = $50k
No other debt.

Is your username a hint at the company you work for? If so, I spent 22 years there in Austin.

I've been here in Austin since '84 and, honestly, probably not another city in TX I'd live in, at least while I'm working. In my career, I've also declined every opportunity to move to the Bay Area, primarily due to overall cost-of-living. Though I've enjoyed my frequent work & conference visits and occasional vacations there.

Traffic, pre-covid- was pretty bad and I can already see it returning to where it was. That can be worked around via a combination of hybrid working or shifting your work day to accommodate traffic patterns.

School districts here vary, but even within the school districts there's a lot of variation. It's possible to live somewhere that has a great high school, mediocre middle schools, and poor elementary. So you need to do some homework regarding exact neighborhoods you're looking at. Personally, in terms of where to live, I'd start with school districts first and commute (within reason) second. Unless you're 100% certain that you'll never work for another company in Austin and that they might never relocate the office somewhere else in town, I would not weight highly the office location in choosing an area of town in which to live. This is primarily from experience with both situations.

As others have mentioned, while there is no state income tax, "the man" still needs to get paid. And here, it's a combination of sales tax and real estate tax. Inside the city of Austin, sales tax is 8.25% total (city + state). For real estate taxes, to get an idea, you can go to www.traviscad.org and look up addresses in different neighborhoods to get an idea of the annual real estate tax for houses of a certain value in different parts of town. Many people live in Williamson County to the north or Hays County to the South and they both have similar property tax websites. In TX, the majority of real estate tax is for the local school district, but you'll have others on top of it the details of which depend on whether you live inside or outside of a city and whether your neighborhood is in a MUD (Municipal Utility District), for example.

Regarding the 10% reduction in pay, this is common. At previous large employers where I was a manager, there was a 9-10% salary difference between Bay Area employees and Austin employees, primarily due to income tax differences. But unless you go crazy on the house you'll purchase here, you're likely to come out ahead overall financially - probably very much so.

I attend a conference annually in SF and yes, like SF, Austin also has a homeless problem which appears to be a political football at the moment - Most notably visible in the downtown area and parts of East Austin.

Politically, Austin has traditionally been a blue island in a red state. But it's by no means homogenous - so if that's important to you, you can easily find parts of town that swing in whatever direction you care most about.

As others have mentioned, it can be hot. Mid July through August you can expect most days to be above 100F with very little rain. Winters are generally mild, though we had the freeze to end all freezes this year (low single digits) which also included a significant amount of snow. Both very, very rare here. Depending on where you lived, there were power and water outages that lasted for days. Lots of news articles on the whole thing if you wish to google it.

That's off the top of my head - if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Cheers.
mkc

Post by mkc »

AMD84 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 pm
The home we are looking for is ~2,200 square feet, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and within 10 miles of the office. Looking at homes that have closed in the past month that fit this description, we see this:

Cedar Park: average = $521k, min = $441k, max = $625k

We tend to be more conservative and would only consider our base salaries when assessing our budget for purchasing a home.

the only two options for my company are the Bay Area or Austin as permanent remote is not viable.
Where in Austin would the office be located?

Cedar Park to Braker/Burnet/Mopac area can be an hour commute during rush hour.