Exercise during visit to Manhattan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Exercise during visit to Manhattan

Post by leftcoaster »

Going to be in the East Village for a week. Staying with family and no gym in building.

At home I ride a spin bike, hike, and swim.

What are my options while I’m in NY? Do they have those short term bike rentals so I could get to Central Park to walk without stop signs?

I’m not a runner.
bob60014

Re: Exercise during visit to Manhattan

Post by bob60014 »

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

With all the interesting sites in NYC, you'll get tons of exercise walking for miles.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

If you really want to go to Central Park to walk, consider taking the subway.

Alternatively, you can walk all over Manhattan from the East Village. Put in as many miles as you want. If you find that you get somewhere and don't want to walk back, take the subway.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

WillRetire wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:15 am With all the interesting sites in NYC, you'll get tons of exercise walking for miles.
Yes but sightseeing isn’t a cardio workout. Not planning on much sightseeing anyway. Family visit.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Stinky wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:17 am If you really want to go to Central Park to walk, consider taking the subway.

Alternatively, you can walk all over Manhattan from the East Village. Put in as many miles as you want. If you find that you get somewhere and don't want to walk back, take the subway.
Are there stretches (along the perimeter?) that are uninterrupted by streetlights and stop signs ?
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:41 am
WillRetire wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:15 am With all the interesting sites in NYC, you'll get tons of exercise walking for miles.
Yes but sightseeing isn’t a cardio workout. Not planning on much sightseeing anyway.
Use a Citibike but bring your own helmet. The rentals do not include helmets and some NYC drivers are not courteous if you get my drift.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:42 am
Stinky wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:17 am If you really want to go to Central Park to walk, consider taking the subway.

Are there stretches (along the perimeter?) that are uninterrupted by streetlights and stop signs ?
Central Park begins at 59th and 5th Avenue. Depending where exactly in the East Village you are - you can ride your bike west on Houston Street to the West Side Highway (Hudson River) bike path and then proceed north to 57th Street completely uninterrupted before getting out and crossing east through 6 or 7 avenue blocks to 5th Avenue where the park begins. That ride will be at least 5 miles if not longer.

Alternatively and I’m not sure on this but the path from the FDR Drive on the East River I believe will hook up in a continuous loop to the path that starts at Battery Park and heads up the West Side Highway I describe above.

Walk or bike, it’s going to be a long trip. Have fun.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

What did your NYC hosts suggest?

Maybe take the stairs to the top of the Empire State Building?

Also folks with gym memberships at a national chain have reciprocity, don't they?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

The east river park has nice paths and a track for running.
You could also play tennis there if you get a court.

The west-side has the Hudson River greenway that has a long path for running and biking, too.

Or, ask a place like crunch fitness for a day/week pass.
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
liynus

Post by liynus »

Was just there.
Run.
Brooklyn bridge.
West side highway.
Or even now east side via basketball city.
All areas without cars and amazing sites.

Do be aware I got in 30k steps in 1 day walking don’t underestimate how tired ur legs will be.

Or buy classes and soul cycle

Just watch the bikes.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Yes but sightseeing isn’t a cardio workout. Not planning on much sightseeing anyway. Family visit.
Howdy

Hike in Central Park and every 200 yards do 20 jump squats until you have had the amount of cardio you deem sufficient. Then you can enjoy the sights.

Works for me.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Walk on the High Line. It's not far from the West Village.

https://www.thehighline.org
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Also, have you thought about doing bird dogs, dead bugs, squats, planks, lunges, and other exercises that don't require any equipment?
WS1

Post by WS1 »

You are visiting one of the only cities in the U.S. where a person can accidentally walk 10 very interesting miles a day doing nothing but looking at things and hopping between bars and coffee shops.

Please embrace the joy of activity and put a spike through the heart of “cardio”
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You will not lose any fitness by skipping your cardio for a week. Chill out and enjoy your family.
Lars_2013

Post by Lars_2013 »

I wouldn't bother going up to central park, just bike or walk on the east river greenway down to battery park then up the hudson river greenway then go back home either directly or the way you came. Lovely, protected from cars, etc. (Walking might give you a better workout than biking, since it's pretty flat and I wouldn't go that fast since walkers / joggers use the same path.)

Manhattan riverfront greenways: http://www.nyc.gov/html/edc/pdf/greenway_mapside.pdf
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Lars_2013 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:28 pm I wouldn't bother going up to central park, just bike or walk on the east river greenway down to battery park then up the hudson river greenway then go back home either directly or the way you came. Lovely, protected from cars, etc. (Walking might give you a better workout than biking, since it's pretty flat and I wouldn't go that fast since walkers / joggers use the same path.)

Manhattan riverfront greenways: http://www.nyc.gov/html/edc/pdf/greenway_mapside.pdf
Perfect, Thank you !
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 pm You will not lose any fitness by skipping your cardio for a week. Chill out and enjoy your family.
What moves someone to be so judgmental? Chill out indeed!
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:44 pm Also, have you thought about doing bird dogs, dead bugs, squats, planks, lunges, and other exercises that don't require any equipment?
Yes and a good reminder, Thank you !
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I live 4 blocks north of the East Village. West side bike paths, running paths and general walking paths are superior, longer and better maintained. On the West Side you also have the Chelsea Piers. I am not sure if you can a weekly pass or not.

https://www.chelseapiers.com/fitness/

As mentioned earlier you could rent a bike near Ave C/D and just go on the various East River bike paths (not completely continuous) all the way to 59th street and then head West to Central Park.

While there are LOTS of street bike paths (some are physcially separated from traffic, most aren't); they can be intimidating if your not used to them.

While most of lower Manhattan is completely flat; there are parts of Central Park with reasonably decent hills. Great fun to bike up the hills.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Rob5TCP wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:08 pm I live 4 blocks north of the East Village. West side bike paths, running paths and general walking paths are superior, longer and better maintained. On the West Side you also have the Chelsea Piers. I am not sure if you can a weekly pass or not.

https://www.chelseapiers.com/fitness/

As mentioned earlier you could rent a bike near Ave C/D and just go on the various East River bike paths (not completely continuous) all the way to 59th street and then head West to Central Park.

While there are LOTS of street bike paths (some are physcially separated from traffic, most aren't); they can be intimidating if your not used to them.

While most of lower Manhattan is completely flat; there are parts of Central Park with reasonably decent hills. Great fun to bike up the hills.
Thank you!
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 pm
Please note the east river bike path ends on 23 street, there isn't much of a developed path from the east side above 23th street to 57 street, so you would have to take the path from the avenues, 1st or second avenue up.

Or take the Hudson River bicycle path as others suggested, but that means you have to go westside from the east.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

retire2022 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:19 pm
leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 pm
Please note the east river bike path ends on 23 street, there isn't much of a developed path from the east side above 23th street to 57 street, so you would have to take the path from the avenues, 1st or second avenue up.

Or take the Hudson River bicycle path as others suggested, but that means you have to go westside from the east.
This will give you an idea of what the east side river bike way looks like

https://www.spinlister.com/blog/east-ri ... -the-ugly/

While it does end a few blocks north of me -- it does continue further up
Mape of the bike paths in Manhattan

http://www.nycbikemaps.com/maps/manhattan-bike-map/
Valjean

Post by Valjean »

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

you can go without cardio for a week visiting family :D
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

+1
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 pm You will not lose any fitness by skipping your cardio for a week. Chill out and enjoy your family.
+1
🤭
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:37 pm
If you haven't already looked into this, perhaps you should research into cardio exercises vs. resistance training. Your body adapts to cardio exercises so much that you have to spend an hour a day consistently to get any benefit from cardio exercises. If you love cardio exercises (walk, bike, hike, etc.), keep doing those things by all means. But try to incorporate resistance training into your workout program. Most people will need to do resistance training 2 days a week for most of their fitness needs.

Aside from that, you can visit any big box gym (LA fitness, 24h fitness, platnet fitness, etc.) if you feel like you really need to do cardio exercise without stopping at street lights. But I gotta to ask: why such a requirement? Does stopping at traffic lights affect your "groove" or something? I visit NY a few times and I have all my steps in visiting all the places. I was on my feet most of the day....
Time is the ultimate currency.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

This. We walked 12 miles per day. And still took the subway too!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

A little touchy, maybe? I’m sorry that you think that’s judgmental, because that’s not my intent. I should have elaborated. I’m just stating a fact. You really are not going to lose any fitness on a week’s family vacation. You might want to get out to get away from family for an hour or two, that’s totally understandable, but unless you’re in the middle of trying to peak for some event, it’s unnecessary to keep your normal routine.

I’m a professional athlete (teach and coach martial arts) and I have to be very fit 50 weeks a year. What I find when I take short breaks like that is that it gives any nagging injuries I might have a chance to heal, and also gives my brain a change of pace and helps with burnout.

I’m actually visiting family right now. I haven’t been to the gym all week, but I’m enjoying getting out and hiking and having some alone time with a brother I haven’t seen since before the pandemic. When I get back home next week, my regular routine will all still be there.

When I had family in NYC, we used every trip as an opportunity to get out and walk. Lots and lots of walking…
Wade Garrett

Post by Wade Garrett »

Burpees. You can do them anywhere and they're a great workout.
"I'm not an inventor. I'm an improver. I see things that are wrong, and I improve them." - Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

H-Town wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:39 am
If you haven't already looked into this, perhaps you should research into cardio exercises vs. resistance training. Your body adapts to cardio exercises so much that you have to spend an hour a day consistently to get any benefit from cardio exercises. If you love cardio exercises (walk, bike, hike, etc.), keep doing those things by all means. But try to incorporate resistance training into your workout program. Most people will need to do resistance training 2 days a week for most of their fitness needs.

Aside from that, you can visit any big box gym (LA fitness, 24h fitness, platnet fitness, etc.) if you feel like you really need to do cardio exercise without stopping at street lights. But I gotta to ask: why such a requirement? Does stopping at traffic lights affect your "groove" or something? I visit NY a few times and I have all my steps in visiting all the places. I was on my feet most of the day....
The big box gyms are closed. Soul cycle has some limited (outdoor?) stuff, but spots are booked immediately.

I’m on my feet all day most days. 30k steps yesterday. I’m a couple of weeks away from doing a 32 mile hike with 6k feet elevation gain.

I’m quite active and combine “exercise” (cardio, yoga, body weight HIIT and strength) with sports (various) and functional activity (shopping by bike or on foot).

Obviously I can go ambling around the city, and I will. However …

1) by being specific in my question I got some specific and very useful pointers about routes on the east and west sides, bike rental, bringing a helmet, etc. Had I been less specific, I would probably have only gotten the less useful responses that I wonder why people bother writing.

2) given a choice between an uninterrupted path and stop and go, I don’t know anyone who prefers the latter. Even when doing an interval workout, I want to control when I start and stop.

3) I’m visiting a senior who walks with a cane and am not going to see the sights. When we venture out together, we will go at her pace and comfort.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Wade Garrett wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 am Burpees. You can do them anywhere and they're a great workout.
Good one, Thank you
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

leftcoaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:18 am

The big box gyms are closed. Soul cycle has some limited (outdoor?) stuff, but spots are booked immediately.

I’m on my feet all day most days. 30k steps yesterday. I’m a couple of weeks away from doing a 32 mile hike with 6k feet elevation gain.

I’m quite active and combine “exercise” (cardio, yoga, body weight HIIT and strength) with sports (various) and functional activity (shopping by bike or on foot).

1) by being specific in my question I got some specific and very useful pointers about routes on the east and west sides, bike rental, bringing a helmet, etc. Had I been less specific, I would probably have only gotten the less useful responses that I wonder why people bother writing.

2) given a choice between an uninterrupted path and stop and go, I don’t know anyone who prefers the latter. Even when doing an interval workout, I want to control when I start and stop.

3) I’m visiting a senior who walks with a cane and am not going to see the sights. When we venture out together, we will go at her pace and comfort.
I understand now. With more details provided, I agree with what quantAndHold said above. It's a chance for your body to rest and recover when you travel.

Maybe just walking around the cities are enough cardio for you for the week. Then some yoga and active stretching for your mobility work, and maybe some meditation time for yourself. The main point is take your mind off exercises during traveling. Let your body rest and recover. Being on your feet and walking NYC is enough to prepare for the 32 mile hike in a couple of week.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

quantAndHold wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:09 am
A little touchy, maybe? I’m sorry that you think that’s judgmental, because that’s not my intent. I should have elaborated. I’m just stating a fact. You really are not going to lose any fitness on a week’s family vacation. You might want to get out to get away from family for an hour or two, that’s totally understandable, but unless you’re in the middle of trying to peak for some event, it’s unnecessary to keep your normal routine.

I’m a professional athlete (teach and coach martial arts) and I have to be very fit 50 weeks a year. What I find when I take short breaks like that is that it gives any nagging injuries I might have a chance to heal, and also gives my brain a change of pace and helps with burnout.

I’m actually visiting family right now. I haven’t been to the gym all week, but I’m enjoying getting out and hiking and having some alone time with a brother I haven’t seen since before the pandemic. When I get back home next week, my regular routine will all still be there.

When I had family in NYC, we used every trip as an opportunity to get out and walk. Lots and lots of walking…
As I posted just now, I have an event five days after I get back.

I reacted to “chill out” because in my experience it’s an order given to someone who’s borderline hysterical. Telling someone that they need to change their emotional state is about as judgmental as it gets. It sounds like you meant to say “hey, maybe this is an opportunity to recuperate,” which is insightful but answers a question that I didn’t ask.

It’s great that you are able to reconnect with your brother by hiking. I’m visiting an octogenarian with serious mobility issues. We will be reconnecting in other ways and I will be taking care of myself while she is resting thanks to the many helpful replies I got here. Perhaps you will find some of them inspiring for your next trip too.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

All of the big box gyms in NYC are open. I mentioned crunch because it is near the east village, but there are equinox, NYSC (or it’s new brand) and others. Planet fitness and 24 hour fitness are here too, but maybe less convenient for your location
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

muffins14 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:38 am

All of the big box gyms in NYC are open. I mentioned crunch because it is near the east village, but there are equinox, NYSC (or it’s new brand) and others. Planet fitness and 24 hour fitness are here too, but maybe less convenient for your location
Oh cool! I only looked at PF and 24h web sites. Glad to be wrong !
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

leftcoaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:15 pm Oh cool! I only looked at PF and 24h web sites. Glad to be wrong !
Yeah I would definitely check around or call directly. maybe the websites are out of date bc the planet fitness seems open, but 24 hour fitness does seem closed, at least according to Google maps. There’s also a couple of Blink fitness places, which are very cheap
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

If your cycling experience is solely spin classes, I would not bike in NYC. It's a city with traffic, people and who knows what else, that is not biker friendly. Do you really want to be frazzled? Go for a long walk and take in the sites. There is also some elevated walkway/park on the Lower West Side. Forgot what it's called.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Billionaire wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 pm If your cycling experience is solely spin classes, I would not bike in NYC. It's a city with traffic, people and who knows what else, that is not biker friendly. Do you really want to be frazzled? Go for a long walk and take in the sites. There is also some elevated walkway/park on the Lower West Side. Forgot what it's called.
Agree that I wouldn’t ride a bike in traffic.
I’d recommend biking in Central Park. I’ve done it a couple of times. It was easy to rent a bike around that area.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

H-Town wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:44 pm
Billionaire wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 pm If your cycling experience is solely spin classes, I would not bike in NYC. It's a city with traffic, people and who knows what else, that is not biker friendly. Do you really want to be frazzled? Go for a long walk and take in the sites. There is also some elevated walkway/park on the Lower West Side. Forgot what it's called.
Agree that I wouldn’t ride a bike in traffic.
I’d recommend biking in Central Park. I’ve done it a couple of times. It was easy to rent a bike around that area.
I ride in the Bay Area where it is now a thing for cyclists to be held up at gunpoint for their bikes, sigh. I do ride in traffic though I prefer not to where I can. The other thing that keeps one sharp here is that the streets, including the so called bike boulevards, are so bad that I have gotten really really good at changing flats. Contra Costa County is a lot better, with monster climbs, but it’s super hot this time of year.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op

Avoid the ride through the Brooklyn Bridge due to large amounts of pedestrian tourists.

see link which tells this story

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html

One is better taking the Manhattan or Williamsburg bridges.
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Wrapping up a great trip! I did a lot of biking. Those Citi bikes ended up being free to me thanks to a credit card arrangement. So I rode all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. The Hudson River Trail is great! Central Park too of course. TImes square by bike is much better than on foot.

Brooklyn Botanical garden is a must visit and I really enjoyed an exhibit at the Japan Society.

Honestly bike paths though a lot of the city were pretty good and the streets are well maintained. Traffic law compliance is somewhat impressionistic for pedestrians and cyclists, but if you go with the flow it works out. Definitely a good call to BYO helmet.

There are, of course, no hills here. Those citi bikes are pretty damn heavy, so that’s probably a good thing.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m due to check out the botanical gardens, too
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:57 am Going to be in the East Village for a week. Staying with family and no gym in building.

At home I ride a spin bike, hike, and swim.

What are my options while I’m in NY? Do they have those short term bike rentals so I could get to Central Park to walk without stop signs?

I’m not a runner.
Take the opportunity to walk the neighborhoods. I'm a live long New Yorker and I never get sick of walking Manhattan. Grant it I live in Staten Island, but go there a lot to just walk around. The East Village is one of my favorite places, but definitely to the West Village and Walk the High Line, which I'm sure you will fall in love with.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I would advise against biking in NY City, in general and especially if you are a tourist. Between the hordes of pedestrians looking at their phones or upwards, psychopathic taxi drivers and equally reckless bicyclists, you are signing up for imminent disaster.

It's a pity that most gym classes - Soul Cycle and so on - are closed, as that is what I would otherwise recommend for exercise during the week.

On the other hand, the city is a great place for running, since it is entirely walkable. There are miles of uninterrupted walkways along the rivers (west side is better) and beautiful and dramatic sights within any of the city's large parks.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

leftcoaster wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:43 am Wrapping up a great trip! I did a lot of biking. Those Citi bikes ended up being free to me thanks to a credit card arrangement. So I rode all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. The Hudson River Trail is great! Central Park too of course. TImes square by bike is much better than on foot.

Brooklyn Botanical garden is a must visit and I really enjoyed an exhibit at the Japan Society.

Honestly bike paths though a lot of the city were pretty good and the streets are well maintained. Traffic law compliance is somewhat impressionistic for pedestrians and cyclists, but if you go with the flow it works out. Definitely a good call to BYO helmet.

There are, of course, no hills here. Those citi bikes are pretty damn heavy, so that’s probably a good thing.
Can you share more info about the free Citi bikes with a credit card? Which card?
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Summer time.in Mamhattan= Walk everywhere
Topic Author
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Saving$ wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:04 pm
leftcoaster wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:43 am Wrapping up a great trip! I did a lot of biking. Those Citi bikes ended up being free to me thanks to a credit card arrangement. So I rode all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. The Hudson River Trail is great! Central Park too of course. TImes square by bike is much better than on foot.

Can you share more info about the free Citi bikes with a credit card? Which card?
Lyft Pink, which I got for free for a year with Chase Sapphire Reserve.