Tucson versus Sedona

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cartman

Tucson versus Sedona

Post by cartman »

My wife and I are planning a trip to Arizona this September and are having somewhat of a disagreement (surprise...surprise).
In the past when traveling out west and specifically Arizona, we typically headed to Sedona to do some hiking and enjoy the beauty of the redrock environment. For this trip my wife is suggesting we visit, hike and explore the Tucson area as an alternative.

My position is, if we're simply want desert and some hiking, we can stay in the greater Phoenix area. We would like to restrict this trip to Arizona due to a direct flight option at our airport. Any personal experiences and recommended places to stay regarding Tucson would be appreciated.
runner3081

Re: Tucson versus Sedona

Post by runner3081 »

Dove Mountain Ritz is amazing.

Check out AirBNB, they have some neat and eclectic properties in Tucson.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

My very limited experience, based on 2½ weeks in Tucson in 2019 (pre-pandemic): we loved it.

We loved the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park West, Saguaro National Park East, a hike around Brown Mountain, Tohono Chul Botanical Gardens and Tucson Botanical Gardens--which turned out to be amazingly different from each other and both great. We loved Sabino Canyon--we didn't do any real hiking to speak of, just rode the bus to the top and walked down. And a few museums. And the petroglyphs at Signal Hill. I loved visiting Kitt Peak Observatory even though the viewing session we'd booked fell through (cloudy sky--it happens, even in Arizona). Oh, and a guided birding tour through Madera Canyon.

We stayed four days at a fully-equipped guest house in Tucson Mountain Park and we thought it was great. Mind you, we'd never seen Sonoran desert before, and there was a chunk of it literally outside our door. First thing we heard when we opened the car door was white-winged doves.

We then stayed about six days each at Gilbert Ray Campground and Catalina State Park campground. After costing out various options, the way we chose to do it was to bring our compact gear in our two pieces of checked luggage, and place an order for pickup for about $250 worth of cheap camping gear at Walmart. I know that sounds crazy, but the cost of shipping has gotten very high and it was cheaper to buy junky camping stuff than to ship our good stuff.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat May 22, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
dual

Re: events that require unfreezing credit

Post by dual »

Phoenix and Tucson are both definitely desert but the Tucson desert is higher and slightly greener. By the end of September the temps should be cooling down some. Tucson is smaller and less of a Los Angeles experience than Phoenix.

Things to see: the desert museum, a world class zoo of desert animals. The bright white San Xavier church is pretty spectacular rising out of the desert. Both branches of the Saguaro National Monument allow you to get close to desert plants and bunnies and birds and other small animals. The Flandrau planetarium at the University of Arizona puts on a pretty good show. pretty good Mexican food in downtown Tucson.

edit: there's a pretty good display of old airplanes at Davis Monathan Air Force Base
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

I thought this thread was about Kia Sedona minivan versus the Hyundai Tucson SUV :)
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Tucson will still be pretty warm in September. If you can manage the heat there will be plenty to do.

You might get some exciting monsoon storms around that time, but then again maybe not.

From Sedona you can escape the heat (if still a problem) by a short drive to Flagstaff or a slower and trickier drive to Prescott.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

If you end up going to Tucson area, make sure you hike Picacho Peak. Not for the faint of heart.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

sycamore wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:01 pm I thought this thread was about Kia Sedona minivan versus the Hyundai Tucson SUV :)
:D :D Let the debate begin!! On a separate and related note; I've not spent any time in Tucson and assume it's great (or in a Tucson) but I've not been to many places more beautiful than Sedona.
IMO

Post by IMO »

cartman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:13 pm My wife and I are planning a trip to Arizona this September and are having somewhat of a disagreement (surprise...surprise).
In the past when traveling out west and specifically Arizona, we typically headed to Sedona to do some hiking and enjoy the beauty of the redrock environment. For this trip my wife is suggesting we visit, hike and explore the Tucson area as an alternative.

My position is, if we're simply want desert and some hiking, we can stay in the greater Phoenix area. We would like to restrict this trip to Arizona due to a direct flight option at our airport. Any personal experiences and recommended places to stay regarding Tucson would be appreciated.
And there is your answer:

For this trip my wife is suggesting we visit, hike and explore the Tucson area as an alternative.

But honestly, Sept is still pretty hot. For a change from Sedona, then head up to Flagstaff and Paige/Lake Powell as a change of pace. Lots of hiking in the high country. Still warm enough in Lake Powell to enjoy the water or even Grand Canyon hike (but suspect you've done that).

If you were looking later more into October/November, then Tuscon would be more reasonable.

Final answer.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

sycamore wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:01 pm I thought this thread was about Kia Sedona minivan versus the Hyundai Tucson SUV :)
Me too!! In fact i was about to say this

What about going to tucson in a sedona or sedona in a tucson? Mind blown!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Forget Sedona. Go to Tucson. Expand your knowledge of Arizona. (Why are you being so stubborn about this? Your wife has already figured it out.)
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

September is likely to be fairly warm in Tucson. If you're into hiking, Sabino Canyon can be fun. A nice place to stay fairly close by (maybe 10 minutes away) is The Westin LaPaloma. I'd recommend checking out The Desert Museum and Kitt Peak Observatory while you're there as well. If it turns out to be very warm, you can go up to Mt. Lemmon to cool off.

Definitely try out some Mexican food as there are many great restaurants. Also, make sure you're outside to enjoy the sunsets. If a thunderstorm happens to roll in, you don't want to miss the show. I lived in Tucson for 15 years and miss the breathtaking skies - countless stars, the lightning storms, the shades of pink and purple right as the sun went down in the evening. I don't miss the heat though and have lived in California for the past couple of decades.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:12 pm Forget Sedona. Go to Tucson. Expand your knowledge of Arizona. (Why are you being so stubborn about this? Your wife has already figured it out.)
Yah your wife is smart lady. She’s expanding your travel boundaries. I bet you have a great time.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I've been to both in side trips to Phoenix. Tucson all the way.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Me too!!

If you've already hiked in Sedona, going to Tucson seems like a great idea. I hiked near Tucson for a week several years ago and loved it. Other posters have given good trail recommendations. Have fun!
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

According to https://weatherspark.com/y/2857/Average ... Year-Round the average high temperature in the middle of September is 94 degrees.

Carry water. Stay safe.
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

Also take a trip to Sonoita/Elgin and Wilcox wineries.
https://www.sonoitaelginchamber.org/wineries
https://www.willcoxwines.com/
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

cartman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:13 pm My wife and I are planning a trip to Arizona this September and are having somewhat of a disagreement (surprise...surprise).

I learned to backpack in the Santa Catalina Mts just outside of Tucson when we lived in the greater Phoenix area for six years. Tucson is at about 2,500' so it will be a little cooler than PHX but not by much. As others suggested visiting Mt. Lemmon which is at 9,000 is an option. But honestly if you hike in the am and are out by 11am you should be fine unless they are expecting 100 degree days which can happen. In addition to some of the other sites, a couple of fun side trips are to Bisbee, Kartchner Caverns and Chiracaua Mtns.

Hope you have fun!
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I think the Yukon or Tahoe would be more worth considering, but you may want to take a 4WD during the winter time while visiting, but i can't really think of any vehicles that come with 4WD at the moment.
Last edited by Kagord on Mon May 24, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Tuscon is a surprisingly enjoyable spot to visit. I think you'll like it.

Highly recommend the Titan Missile Museum outside of town.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Tucson is nice. Sonoran Desert Museum, Mt Lemmon, Davis AF museum, Sabino Canyon - bring enough water. Stay out of the dry washes - you only need one flash flood to find yourself in a heap of trouble. September is monsoon season.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

+1
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

We hiked around Tucson in 2019 and loved it. We just got back from Sedona and hiked for 5 days. Sedona was great, but I wouldn't want to go again for awhile. My vote--Tucson!
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Sedona is one of my favorite places in the U.S. It would definitely be cooler, too. But if you've already been there a few times, try Tucson.
PSTAR7

Post by PSTAR7 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 pm Dove Mountain Ritz is amazing.

Check out AirBNB, they have some neat and eclectic properties in Tucson.
Agree. Just got back from Ritz Dove Mountain. We loved it and can't wait to go back.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

MDfan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:51 pm Sedona is one of my favorite places in the U.S. It would definitely be cooler, too. But if you've already been there a few times, try Tucson.
This.

Sedona* beats Tucson... But if you've already done Sedona and never been to Tucson, then go to Tucson. It's very cool too (as in "neat", not as in "not hot")

*Oh, but don't go to Sedona on a weekend if you can help it.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
dognose

Post by dognose »

Sedona’s “red rock” scenery is truly spectacular, but the allure of the town quickly wears off after you realize that Sedona is about 95 percent a tourist trap. A beautiful tourist trap, but a tourist trap nevertheless. Clogged roads, over-crowded restaurants, way too many t-shirt shops. It’s fun for a couple of days at best.

Tucson has much, much more to offer over Sedona: great hiking in Sabino Canyon, Mount Lemmon, Saguaro National Park east and west, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a world-class zoo, an endless list of great restaurants, the truly unique Pima Air Museum, easy day trips to the Tubac art colony, historic Tombstone, etc. etc. etc. Or you can head up to Sedona, sit in a long, long line of traffic, and buy some t-shirts. This choice is a true no-brainer.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Compromise with Prescott or Payson...little elevation to take the heat down a notch.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Can anyone tell the difference between Kia and Hyundai?

Oh, wait. You mean the cities.
I vote for Tucson for the Warthog viewing potential.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

dognose wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm Sedona’s “red rock” scenery is truly spectacular, but the allure of the town quickly wears off after you realize that Sedona is about 95 percent a tourist trap. A beautiful tourist trap, but a tourist trap nevertheless. Clogged roads, over-crowded restaurants, way too many t-shirt shops. It’s fun for a couple of days at best.

Tucson has much, much more to offer over Sedona: great hiking in Sabino Canyon, Mount Lemmon, Saguaro National Park east and west, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a world-class zoo, an endless list of great restaurants, the truly unique Pima Air Museum, easy day trips to the Tubac art colony, historic Tombstone, etc. etc. etc. Or you can head up to Sedona, sit in a long, long line of traffic, and buy some t-shirts. This choice is a true no-brainer.
This times a thousand. Sedona is good for a day at most but it is a HUGE tourist trap. Tucson has wayyyy more to offer. It is also pretty cool to do some outdoor hot activity in morning (personally I always do the Sabino Canyon hike every day I visit Tucson) and then be able to cool off by visiting Mount Lemmon in afternoon. And if you pick Tucson makes sure to go to Eegee's. Seriously my favorite "slushy" type drink out there. I like there subs also but those are more average. University of Tucson is also a very very solid campus and nice to talk a walk around (I get looking at college campus is not a traditionally tourist attraction per se but I like to do it).
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

dognose wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm Sedona’s “red rock” scenery is truly spectacular, but the allure of the town quickly wears off after you realize that Sedona is about 95 percent a tourist trap.
Yes, but if you've never seen that "red rock" scenery... you HAVE to see it. It's amazing.

Once you've done Sedona once, then Tucson definitely.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
vested1

Post by vested1 »

jayk238 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:12 pm
Me too!! In fact i was about to say this

What about going to tucson in a sedona or sedona in a tucson? Mind blown!
Me too, and I drive a Hyundai Santa Fe! Having been to both Tucson and Sedona, AZ, I would definitely pick Santa Fe, NM.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

dognose wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:22 pm Sedona’s “red rock” scenery is truly spectacular, but the allure of the town quickly wears off after you realize that Sedona is about 95 percent a tourist trap. A beautiful tourist trap, but a tourist trap nevertheless. Clogged roads, over-crowded restaurants, way too many t-shirt shops. It’s fun for a couple of days at best.

I've only been to Sedona in the off-season (April and October) so I must have avoided the crowds everyone is talking about. Didn't feel overly crowded to me in the town or on the roads. I would never go in the summer.
Sidnaw_kid

Post by Sidnaw_kid »

Wife and I have been to Sedona, White Mountains, Phoenix, and Tucson. We spent January of 2020 at an Airbnb in Tucson and never got bored. Superb hiking in Saguaro N. P., Sabino Canyon, Mount Lemmon, and the mountains around Tucson proper. If you bicycle, there are dedicated multi-purpose paths almost completely encircling the city. You can rent bikes at a few locations. As others have mentioned, there are several other interesting attractions. If you are nature lovers, you must experience Desert Museum of the Southwest. If you enjoy airplanes, see the Pima Air & Space Museum.Then there is historic San Xavier Mission south of the city. There are lots of interesting coffee shops and restaurants - something for everyone.

Enjoy your trip!
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Planning a trip to AZ mid-January, with two nights in Tucson - what part of the city/area to stay in? We're budget travelers, so the Dove Mountain Ritz is totally out of our price range. :wink: :!: Looking for something near attractions but not too seedy. Planning on outdoor activity.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Sidnaw_kid wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:44 amYou can rent bikes at a few locations.
Can you share which shop you rented bikes from?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I can't compare Tucson with Sedona. We spent 2½ weeks in Tucson in the spring of 2019 and it was just magical. Part of it was just the luck of one of those vacations where everything goes right and almost everything you do seems enchanted.

High points included strolling through the patch of desert that is adjacent to the Cat Mountain Lodge, where we stayed for the first few days. The Arizona-Sonoma desert museum. Just the drives (with frequent stops and pullouts) up Kinney Road and through Gates Pass. Loved Tohono Chul. Also loved the Tucson Botanical Gardens which we hadn't planned to visit, you know, two botanical gardens? Very different from each other, both wonderful.

Loved the highly accurate sundials of various kinds that every institution or park seemed to have. They had various curved and cam-like surfaces and nomogram-like readout grids that built in the "equation of time" correction, so you could just read off the time, accurate to better than ±5 minutes.

Loved Sabino Canyon.

Even though they might not be "best-in-the-US" type supermuseums, we loved the Flandrau Science Center...

...and the Arizona State Museum and a weird little museum of optics that had--a wonderful miscellaneous collection. Cameras sliced in half so you could see all the lens elements in profile. Display cases of old cameras in which I found the cameras I'd used as a kid (Baby Brownie special, Brownie reflex, Kodak Pony 135).

I loved Kitt Peak National Observatory, about sixty? miles west of Tucson, even though our scheduled night viewing session was canceled due to clouds. I booked the whole three-session tour. My wife was a bit bored, and actually relieved that we could leave in the afternoon.

Loved Saguaro National Park, of course. The western section more than the eastern section. Signal Hill was cool.

We booked a guided birding tour with AZ-Birding and it was sensational. My wife's the birder, not me, but I loved it. Very thoughtful guide.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

For budget accommodations, Motel 6 has a separately named chain of motels (same color scheme on the signs) with rooms that have tiny kitchen setups in them-- a mini-refrigerator, bar sink, some type of one or two burner stove and a pan or two, of course a coffee maker, etc. The Tucson one backs to the freeway (a block or more from an exit) and was near the gentle curve where south bound I-10 East finally heads southeast after the interstate to Nogales has headed south. I-10 East runs north/south through more than the north half of Tucson, to that slow curve.

Get a good city map to find the Catalina Highway (its name in town) aka Mt. Lemmon highway (the name of the same road when it is inside of the national forest). Drive it to the very end, from the low desert to the big Ponderosa pine trees, noting which places you want to stop and explore on the your way back.

Ride the Sabino Canyon trolley to its turn-around, noting the announced names of where you want to step off of the trolley on the way back. Wear shoes that you can get wet on that excursion. You may need advance reservations for that trip.

Do your homework about Tucson food places before your trip since you will need a larger display for the maps that show so many locations that are worth visiting.

On one visit at opening time at the Sonoran Desert Museum, the amphibians in the glass cages were being fed. A cup full of live crickets was put in the giant bull frog's cage. The frog would flinch and a cricket disappeared, again and again, sometimes with a cricket leg left hanging out of the frog's closed mouth but never seeing the tongue go 6-8 inches to the cricket filled dish and return. On the same trip, I was the first visitor to the ramp to the underground window of the beaver's den. When I pushed the button for the light in the den, the sleeping beaver put its paw over its eyes and rolled over, same as a human does in the same situation. Take your lunch in your vehicle to the Desert Museum, as their snack bar is expensive, and you can leave and come back in, but it was a 20-30 drive going south, through open desert, back to any food places, in those days. Gates Pass, on the way into the Desert Museum, was a popular place to view a sunset over the desert but the roadside was heavily cordoned off, due to that popularity. Do try to catch a desert sunset on the horizon, away from Tucson's surrounding mountains. Towards the observatories might be a good direction for that.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

How about both? Why the either/or? Locations aren't that far from each other (about 3.5 hour drive time).
When we went to AZ many years ago, we hiked both areas in the week we were out there.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein