Roku - Last Ditch Effort

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Roku - Last Ditch Effort

Post by Barefootgirl »

I'm fresh out of ideas with respect to troubleshooting a new Roku device and I thought I'd check in here for any last minute suggestions before I return it to the retailer.

Background:

I'm a light user of television, mostly using it for some news programs and movies.

I recently moved into an annual rental home where internet service is included with the rent. There is a TV here, but no TV subscription services are provided. It appears to be very minimal programming provided by XFinity.

Rather than order an XFinity plan, I purchased a basic Roku device.

I am able to connect the Roku with the television and bring up the Roku introduction screen, but I have been unable to connect the Roku with the WiFi here.

Details:

I have had no problems connecting my cellphone or my laptop to the WiFi here.

The WiFi router is sitting only a couple inches from the Roku box, so no issue there.

I can see other nearby networks in the list that Roku finds, when attempting to select mine. I am able to select private network and enter the same User ID and password as I do for the phone and laptop.

The router channel is set to 2.4 GHz which Roku indicates is necessary for their device to operate on.

I have restarted the Roku device a few times.

I have unplugged and plugged back in the router.

The Roku remote is communicating with the TV without issue.

I cannot think of anything else to try to get the Roku to light up via the Wi Fi.

I believe the previous renters used a Fire Stick (or similar) to watch programming here, FWIW.

If there are any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Re: Roku - Last Ditch Effort

Post by 123 »

Does your router have a limit (setting) on the number of wi-fi connections allowed?

Are there restrictions in your router on the mac addresses that allowed (doubtful if you could connect other devices without adjusting router limitations)?

Does the Roku have an ethernet port (maybe run an ethernet cable between router and Roku)?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

My first thought is the Roku signal is being overloaded (it happens) by being "too" close to the wifi router. Try moving the router a few feet away, reset all devices.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing I would try is updating your router software if you have not recently done that.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Try moving the roku further from the router. It's possible to be too close. Worth a shot.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I had a Roku stick for a very long time, I replaced it with an Amazon Firestick when the Roku stick died on me.

My garage TV has Roku built in, but it is very slow, so I am going to add a Amazon Firestick to it.

Having had both, I much prefer the Amazon Firestick. Just a better experience for me. Although my living room TV is a Samsung smart TV, I am going to add a Firestick to it as well.

That way every TV operates the same, nice when people are using different TVs, all standard.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

If you do not solve the WiFi problem, given the location of the modem and the TV, the easiest solution is probably to get a Roku that connects with ethernet to the Roku box.

Alternatively, you can stream to your phone and your laptop and not use the TV at all.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Thank you for the ideas, making a list.

The router belongs to my landlord, so I am not familiar with the settings or limitations of it...

I did try disconnecting the Wi Fi from the phone, with only the laptop being the other device - so with the Roku, only 2 in total and I still could not connect.

Ethernet cord is a good suggestion, thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
yohac

Post by yohac »

I assume the Roku is accepting your password but just isn't getting an internet connection.

If your phone is hotspot-capable, you might try connecting the Roku to the hotspot as a test. If that works, it at least suggests the problem is not with the Roku.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

How are you powering the Roku? If it is plugged directly into a USB port on the TV, try changing it to a charger in a wall outlet. Not all TV USB ports can supply enough current for the Roku to function properly.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

How are you powering the Roku? If it is plugged directly into a USB port on the TV, try changing it to a charger in a wall outlet.

It is plugged into a USB port on the TV. How else can it "talk" to the TV if not connected?
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:55 pm How are you powering the Roku? If it is plugged directly into a USB port on the TV, try changing it to a charger in a wall outlet.

It is plugged into a USB port on the TV. How else can it "talk" to the TV if not connected?
It should be plugged into both. You should have a smaller port on the device that connects to a power plug. By the way, it should be connected to the HDMI port on your TV. That is how it “talks”. The USB port on your TV is just for a little power.
Dakotah

Post by Dakotah »

A Roku with an ethernet port would be the easiest solution.

Regarding your current issue, though...I've seen similar issues caused by a router transmitting on non-US channels. The 2.4 Wifi standard technically has 14 channels, but here in the US we only use channels 1-11. If a router is transmitting on channels 12-14, some US-built devices may not see it because they may only bother to look at channels 1-11.

I'd recommend downloading a WiFi analyzer app on your phone. Use that to see what channel the router is operating on.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Flyer24 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:03 pm
Barefootgirl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:55 pm How are you powering the Roku? If it is plugged directly into a USB port on the TV, try changing it to a charger in a wall outlet.

It should be plugged into both. You should have a smaller port on the device that connects to a power plug. By the way, it should be connected to the HDMI port on your TV. That is how it “talks”. The USB port on your TV is just for a little power.
As the Roku splash screen is seen, seems like it connected to both.

Barefootgirl...
"I am able to connect the Roku with the television and bring up the Roku introduction screen, but I have been unable to connect the Roku with the WiFi here."
atlgenxennial

Post by atlgenxennial »

Barefootgirl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 pm
I can see other nearby networks in the list that Roku finds, when attempting to select mine. I am able to select private network and enter the same User ID and password as I do for the phone and laptop.
So when you enter the user ID and password, what happens?
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

So when you enter the user ID and password, what happens?

It gives me an error message telling me it cannot connect to the Wi Fi. It then lays out suggested steps to take - of which I described in my original post.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Barefootgirl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 pm I can see other nearby networks in the list that Roku finds, when attempting to select mine. I am able to select private network and enter the same User ID and password as I do for the phone and laptop.
Looks like it will never work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... nterprise/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... nterprise/

Use an ethernet adapter if possible:
https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813

or convince your landlord to switch the router to WPA2 personal. i.e. Ask them to change your wifi to just require a password.

Always use a wall plug whenever it is an option and avoid USB power. The device uses HDMI to "talk" to the TV.
student

Post by student »

If the router is an issue, perhaps getting your own router and use a daisy chain arrangement but it could be tricky.
mattsm

Post by mattsm »

Hello,

If you are able I would hotspot with your phone and see if it connects that way. Then let the device update and see if it will work with your Wifi again after that.

-Matthew
student

Post by student »

mattsm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:56 pm Hello,

If you are able I would hotspot with your phone and see if it connects that way. Then let the device update and see if it will work with your Wifi again after that.

-Matthew
This is a very good suggestion.
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

Barefootgirl wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 pm I can see other nearby networks in the list that Roku finds, when attempting to select mine. I am able to select private network and enter the same User ID and password as I do for the phone and laptop.

The router channel is set to 2.4 GHz which Roku indicates is necessary for their device to operate on.
I think you meant SSID not User ID. Roku's private network option lets you connect to routers that do not broadcast their SSID so do not show up on the list of available networks. It prompts you for both the SSID and password. Both are case sensitive. I sometimes have trouble finding the shift key on Roku's on-screen keyboards.

Routers can be set up to have different SSIDs and/or passwords for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. That way you can connect the device to the band you want it to use. Check that your phone or laptop is using the 2.4 GHz band. This site tells you how.
https://getnexx.com/pages/how-to-tell-i ... fi-network
If both are on the 5 GHz band, check with your landlord to see if there is a different SSID/password for the 2.4 GHz band.

Try the tethering suggestion above. Or take the Roku to a friend's house and see if it works there.

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If the hotspot test proves the issue is with the router… Is it an option to unplug landlord’s router and use your own? Or get a newer router from landlord’s internet provider that you offer to set up?
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

I think you are confusing HDMI and USB ports. HDMI is the larger port that transmits the picture to the TV on all modern streaming devices. The Roku still needs a power source. Roku Sticks are designed to plug directly into the HDMI port and be hidden behind the TV. Since most TVs also have a standard USB port the Roku Stick is designed to use that as a power source with a micro-USB cable instead of having to run a power cable back to a wall outlet. Problem is some TVs can't provide enough power and the device will act flaky, but will still work to some extent.

I believe the Roku Ultra is the only one that has a Ethernet port these days. It also uses a dedicated wall power supply and connects to the TV with a HDMI cable instead of plugging directly into a port.

It was mentioned you are using the Private Network setup. Are you sure you are entering the network name exactly the same as your other devices, including capitals? The SSID is case sensitive, so if you enter "mynetwork" when the name is really "MyNetwork" it will not connect. Same goes for the password - make sure you are not missing any capitals, swapping 0/O/o, using a wrong symbol, etc. "Typing" with a Roku remote is a pain.

Are you the only one that uses the router/internet? Since you have physical access to it you could reset the router by holding the reset button on the back/bottom for 10-15 seconds. This will reset it to factory defaults. You can find the default information online by googling for model number. This will reset the network name and passwords so you will have to reconnect all devices. It may also leave it wide open with no security so make sure you find the instructions to perform a new setup for the router. Don't do this if it is shared with other tenants or the landlord would be angry.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I would not reset the router because it will "erase" everything.

HDMI from Roku.
AC adapter from Roku to wall outlet.

Some Rokus have a USB port which allows you to connect a USB flash drive for playing video and audio files that are stored on the USB flash drive.
This USB port is not connected to the TV.