Honda CRV or Suburu Forrester or other SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
coastalhiker

Re: Honda CRV or Suburu Forrester or other SUV

Post by coastalhiker »

We test drove the CR-V hybrid, the Forester and the RAV-4 hybrid. The CR-V was okay, but bland and almost tacky interior and we didn't like the inflation kit that replaces a spare tire. We did like the Forester, but we chose the RAV-4 hybrid given the higher mileage and lower emissions. We are happy with that decision. It feels very zippy if you need some power, and it really does deliver on 40+ mileage. It is very roomy, with ample cargo space. And we LOVE the radar cruise control. We had a trouble-free 14 years with a 2007 Prius, so we know that the Toyota hybrid system is solid. I definitely recommend a test drive.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

rramaswa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm Hello
I am hoping for this forum to provide some advice on SUV's
I have been test driving Honda CRV and Suburu forrester and having a hard time deciding which way to go.

Some back ground information.

1) I retired this year and therefore, I hope to buy a car that I can enjoy during retirement. Comfort is key. That means smooth driving car with good power. I like quiet cars.
2) I have driven only Honda's all my life (CIVIC, ACCORD and PILOT). The car dealer is walking distance and therefore servicing is very easy for me. I have a track record and experience with this maker of car. I know what i will get
3) I am like to go for hybrid car if I can
4) The test drive of Forrester seem to be better than Honda CRV although online reviews favor HONDA CRV for its engine.
5) the Suburu Dealer is not near where I live and therefore, servicing might be challenging. The dealer said they will given me loaner if needed and they can pick up the car from my home.

The suburu sales manager and the dealer were nice while Honda did not seem to care to get my business. I can always buy HONDA CRV from another dealer.
Given this is a big investment for me. I am hoping this forum can provide their wisdom and insights.
Coincidentally, I have the same car requirements that you list above. (Also have a Toyota Tundra TRD 4wd. which is great).
(but, have been searching for a comfy "retirement car" for many years).

Must be comfortable.
Must have power to get on and off the interstates. (Highly prefer a V6. . . or at least a 4 cylinder that really moves out).
Must not have a 4 cylinder that spins up and works too hard. (depends on one's needs)
Must absolutely be reliable and have a great long term record of low maintenance, quality,, etc, etc.
(that narrowed things down to only a few automakers)
Must be quiet. No loud road, tire, wind noise.
Must be well assembled and not cheap feeling inside or out, not cheap looking either.
**Must have a full size spare tire. . . or at least "a" spare tire but the car must be worth that compromise.
No turbochargers.
No variable speed transmissions.
Must be AWD or 4wd.

What we did:

I was told by Nissan and Honda and Infinity and Lexus, that for factory recalls and warranty service, I had to go to the same vendor that I bought the car from.
For example:
That means if I bought a Lexux in the big city 2 hours away, I'd have to take the car back there for certain things "and not the local Toyota dealer".
If I bought an Infinity non locally, I could not take it to the local Nissan dealer for certain things.
**That was, unfortunately a big factor.
***** I checked with the local Honda and Toyota dealerships and others and was told this. Others may have different experiences,******

What we did:

DW and I have been test driving cars for 2 years. All of the small, mid, large suv's, subaru's, nissan, honda, toyota, etc, etc, etc.
Also did thorough "boglehead" research on all cars from the Honda CRV to the Toyota RAV 4 and the Subaru, Domestic brands, Korean brands, etc, etc, in all sizes and price ranges. Test drove most of them at least once.

Verdict, (for us)

Last month, DW = 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. 4wd.
Its was a toss up between the 4Runner and the Honda Passport but she carries heavy loads so the body on frame design of the 4runner (tacoma platform) and the 4.0 litre V6 and also solidity, quality, and reliability, won out. Price under 50k OTD, cash.

This month, I picked up a 2021 Honda Passport Elite AWD. Under 50k OTD, cash.
The Elites have been tough to get for a good price and hard to find over the past 2 years. I was lucky to get everything I wanted at an excellent price due to "boglehead" bargaining strategy.
The Honda Passport is extremely smooth and quick with a 3.6 litre V6 and very advanced AWD with fully indep susp. Very quiet. Seats are outstanding for my bad spine. Few cars fit me. Also easy to get in and out of. Not too small or low to the ground like a CRV, Subaru, etc. It depends on one's needs.
As the area where we live is mostly open roads, I have been averaging up to 32 mpg using the "eco mode" on good days, and no less than 24 - 27 mpg if I'm in town most of the day. (mpg varies per person and car).
*For my needs, frequent trips to Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I really needed at least the space of the Honda Passport to put stuff. So, that was partially the decision maker over a smaller car. The Honda Passport and Pilot share the same load bearing platform as the RIdgeline truck, so that capability to haul things and handle weight and bulk was an added plus if needed.
*AWD or 4wd: because we do get snow and ice in our area, and I really like the way that modern full time AWD systems stick to the road all the time.

I chose the Honda Passport Elite AWD over the:
CRV because the CRV windshield was too slanted, the interior too small in the driver's seat (for me), my knees hit the dash and hawaiian big feet did not have much room below and it was hard to get in and out for my bad spine, also the visibility the rear could be better. And, most of all, the 4 cylinder engine, and trans.
Toyota RAV4, similar to above. (but, it was a great car that I test drove 3 times over 2 years and the latest model is very nice, just too small for me and the 4 cylinder is not to my liking, but okay.
Subaru, similar to above.
Honda Pilot, same mechanical platform as the Passport (also the Ridgeline) but I didn't need the larger car, also the Passport was the size limit to get into some parking places, etc.
Kia Telluride, very nice car, but. . . . uncertain long term, as long as Toyota, ratings historically way back.
Hyundai Pallasades, very nice car, but (same as above). . and both the Kia and Hyundai dealers are packing the prices horribly. way above the Moroni sticker.
Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Mazda, etc.. . . . . . (decided to stick to Honda or Toyota as we've had both historically and . . . . )

DW and I are fairly good negotiators and do extensive research (worked at dealerships before), so we were able to get excellent fair prices for our area, although sometimes it took multiple visits and contacts with the dealership and managers, etc.

Hope this helps.
j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun May 16, 2021 6:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
nura

Post by nura »

steadyhand wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:57 am I tried the forrester, like it somewhat, but its interior felt “cheap”, mpgs again weren’t great. I may given it more thought is AWD was critical to us.

That essentially left the two giants CRV and RaV4. The CRV checked cargo and interior boxes, but did not have a hybrid then. Thus mpgs were in the low 30s range.
Seems like you are comparing MPGs of AWD forester with FWD CRV.
Forrester with AWD and 2 additional inches of ground clearance delivers low 30s on the highway which is probably the best you can get with non-hybrid AWD vehicle SUV.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Bought a 2013 CRV new. 95,000 miles. No maintenance issues at all. Drive it in Colorado mountains. Has enough power. Not great, but enough.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I bought a 2020 Toyota RAV4 hybrid 18 months ago. It gets 40 mpg,is comfortable, and quiet.

Toyota now also has revived the Venza, which uses the same AWD hybrid transmission and engine - very slick.
NMBob

Post by NMBob »

"I was told by Nissan and Honda and Infinity and Lexus, that for factory recalls and warranty service, I had to go to the same vendor that I bought the car from. That means if I bought a Lexux in the big city 2 hours away, I'd have to take the car back there for certain things. So, that was, unfortunately a big factor."

that is something i never heard. Don't see that on a quick reading of the lexus website. also doesn't it for people who move, or repairs needed on road trips etc.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

I can confirm that, at least for Toyota, it's not true.

My guess is that the salesmen were lying to you, trying to convince you to pay extra for the local dealers.
RIP, Mr. Bogle.
staustin

Post by staustin »

I can only add that we love, love, love our 2019 Subaru.... And we've owned said Honda's and Toyotas.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

OP - If you are open to American automobiles, test drive Chevy Traverse or GMC Acadia or Buick Enclave. These 3 are made by GM. These are literally same vehicle but under 3 different label... I drive one. Love it. V6 engine - a lot of horsepower. A lot of legroom. Huge cargo room. Can seat 7/8 people. Great for long road trip.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Emilyjane wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:08 pmSure. I’m not a great negotiator, so probably not the best deal...
CRV Hybrid EX-L, $33,601 ....
Many thanks! That is very helpful. I showed my spouse the "My New Car Buying Tips" thread of /u/denovo and to my surprise she actually is trying it out. And to her surprise, she already got some e-mails back from sellers. :happy
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

NMBob wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 pm "I was told by Nissan and Honda and Infinity and Lexus, that for factory recalls and warranty service, I had to go to the same vendor that I bought the car from. That means if I bought a Lexux in the big city 2 hours away, I'd have to take the car back there for certain things. So, that was, unfortunately a big factor."

that is something i never heard. Don't see that on a quick reading of the lexus website. also doesn't it for people who move, or repairs needed on road trips etc.
Definitely not true for Nissan or Subaru. I constantly get mail from all the local dealers listing recalls on the car and offering to perform them. I have also had these recalls done by said local dealers.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

duplicate
oops
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun May 16, 2021 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

duplicate
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun May 16, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

duplicate
drat
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun May 16, 2021 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Am currently looking at a similar group of cars and (to my surprise) liked the Hyundai Tucson best. More comfortable ride than the others IMO. And loaded with good tech. Consider adding it to your test drive list.
Best thing that ever happened to me was being too busy in 2008 to pay attention to my portfolio.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

NMBob wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:23 pm "I was told by Nissan and Honda and Infinity and Lexus, that for factory recalls and warranty service, I had to go to the same vendor that I bought the car from. That means if I bought a Lexux in the big city 2 hours away, I'd have to take the car back there for certain things. So, that was, unfortunately a big factor."

Ervin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:27 am I can confirm that, at least for Toyota, it's not true.

My guess is that the salesmen were lying to you, trying to convince you to pay extra for the local dealers.
mpnret wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:48 am

Definitely not true for Nissan or Subaru. I constantly get mail from all the local dealers listing recalls on the car and offering to perform them. I have also had these recalls done by said local dealers.
I corrected my post to clarify.
I was told by the local Toyota Dealers that if there was certain work under warranty or recall that needed to be done on a "Lexus" that I bought at the closest Lexus Dealer 2 hours away, that I needed to go there for that. But for normal servicing, the Toyota welcomed my Lexus.
I verified this several times with calls to the Lexus and Infinity service departments 2 hours away, then the local Toyota and Honda service departments. They said that for regular service, etc, it would be fine, but for factory recalls, certain warranty work, etc, then I might have to return to Lexus or Infinity's service departments (any).
j :D
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Along with the wording of "nearest Toyota dealer "(often the selling dealer) Toyota states that recall/customer support program work can be done at any authorized dealer. I suspect they would run afoul of the NHTSA and other agencies if there were any limits.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

DW drives '17 CR-V & I like it. But a bit more vehicle than I want to lug around every day. Test drove a CX-5 & CX-30. CX-5 felt like CR-V: too much. So bought CX-30 turbo in March. Fits my needs.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

bob60014 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:21 am Along with the wording of "nearest Toyota dealer "(often the selling dealer) Toyota states that recall/customer support program work can be done at any authorized dealer. I suspect they would run afoul of the NHTSA and other agencies if there were any limits.
Good point.
I wonder if there's the same continuity as Toyota to Toyota as Toyota and Lexus.
Or, maybe it depends on the nature of the work to be done, factory recall, etc.
Perhaps tangental and off course on this thread but a good thing to know when buying a car.

Thanks
outbackcountry

Post by outbackcountry »

Also consider Subaru Outback and Rav4 Hybrid. If you are looking at Hybrid, there is nothing to beat a Rav4 Hybrid in that segment. Forester is coming with its own hybrid next year though but Toyota is the go to brand for a hybrid vehicle.

Subaru Outback is more quieter vehicle than the Forester because of its long wheel base (and is more sedan than SUV). However, you will be more comfortable in a Honda CRV as you are used to the Honda vehicles (instrument clusters, maintenance minders, etc). For that specific reason, I didnt want to get another Honda when I upgraded from Civic, four years ago (and CRV wasnt compelling either as it had become stale). I chose the Outback, primarily due to its safety features (eyesight), 8.7inch ground clearance, 6 cylinder AWD engine, quieter interior. If I'm in the market for a small SUV today, Toyota Rav4 Hybrid will be on the top of my list alongside Outback and Forester. Make sure to test drive all the vehicles you are considering. If you are looking at reviews, check out Alex-on-Autos at Youtube. His reviews are comprehensive, not the 10 minute type you see in most review sites.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Toyota RAV 4 hybrid...best bang for buck, best quality too I think. Will hold resale well and you visit the dealer every 10K for service. I think other car worth at least driving is a Highlander hybrid...might be too big or expensive but a great ride....good luck!
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

outbackcountry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 pm Also consider Subaru Outback and Rav4 Hybrid. If you are looking at Hybrid, there is nothing to beat a Rav4 Hybrid in that segment. Forester is coming with its own hybrid next year though but Toyota is the go to brand for a hybrid vehicle.

Subaru Outback is more quieter vehicle than the Forester because of its long wheel base (and is more sedan than SUV). However, you will be more comfortable in a Honda CRV as you are used to the Honda vehicles (instrument clusters, maintenance minders, etc). For that specific reason, I didnt want to get another Honda when I upgraded from Civic, four years ago (and CRV wasnt compelling either as it had become stale). I chose the Outback, primarily due to its safety features (eyesight), 8.7inch ground clearance, 6 cylinder AWD engine, quieter interior. If I'm in the market for a small SUV today, Toyota Rav4 Hybrid will be on the top of my list alongside Outback and Forester. Make sure to test drive all the vehicles you are considering. If you are looking at reviews, check out Alex-on-Autos at Youtube. His reviews are comprehensive, not the 10 minute type you see in most review sites.
The Subarus use the Toyota hybrid system. Last year Toyota increased their share of Subaru to 20% and made Subaru part of the Toyota Motor Group.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

Many thanks Bogleheads!

This could be my last car and large investment. Thank you very much for all the advice.

Do you have comments on electric cars ? my concern is insufficient infrastructure to charge these cars.
I have no idea on the costs to service these cars.
I know the future will be electric cars.

I will appreciate comments :happy
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

rramaswa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 pm Many thanks Bogleheads!

This could be my last car and large investment. Thank you very much for all the advice.

Do you have comments on electric cars ? my concern is insufficient infrastructure to charge these cars.

We had similar concerns.
Also the added cost of putting in a charging system in our garage.

Perhaps it depends on how the car will be used (long vs short drives, city vs rural, etc)
And, where: IE: in a city where there are charging stations and its EV "friendly" vs not so.

Also, the size of the car, etc.

Perhaps a hybrid is a good middle ground for now?

Several senior friends I know are shopping for EV's right now.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm

We had similar concerns.

Perhaps it depends on how the car will be used (long vs short drives, city vs rural, etc)
And, where: IE: in a city where there are charging stations and its EV "friendly" vs not so.

I saw an interesting article that in some countries, might have been Asia somewhere, EV "gas stations" operate not by charging the batteries but by swapping them out. The changeover time is minutes. Doing that at home is less likely as one would have to own and store the extra battery and charge it.

We are probably on the cusp of going EV for urban dwellers and short commuters. I can't feature how this would really work for cross country travel right now. Also, lots of car owners park on streets and lots that don't have electric service for charging, at least yet.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

outbackcountry wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 pm I chose the Outback, primarily due to its safety features (eyesight), 8.7inch ground clearance, 6 cylinder AWD engine, quieter interior.
Alas, Subaru stopped putting the 6 cylinder engine into the Outback a year or two ago.
Watty

Post by Watty »

rramaswa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:59 pm Do you have comments on electric cars ?
We are a two car couple and likely always will be as long as both of us are still driving.

I suspect that when we need another car it will be electric.

For now the best combination for us is likely to have one gas car an one electric car so that we can take the gas car for longer drives.

They are still a long time off but I am hoping at some point self driving cars will be practical and we will be able just call some sort of self driving Uber type of service and have a self driving car pick us up when we need to go somewhere. This could be at a lot lower cost than when you need a driver in today's Uber cars.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

We had similar concerns.

A plug in hybrid such as the RAV4 Prime straddles this middle ground pretty well.

Charge at home for 42 miles of EV only range and 500+ mile range with a full tank of gas for longer trips.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Alas, Subaru stopped putting the 6 cylinder engine into the Outback a year or two ago.
At the age of 82 two years ago I looked for what I think will be my last new car purchase. I definitely wanted a mid-size SUV with a 6-cylinder engine for power and quietness while driving, excellent all-around visibility, comfortable and easy to get in and out of seating, and with all the current safety features.

Knowing that the 2020 version was doing away the the larger engine and instead going to a 2.4L turbo-charged engine as the larger one, I ended up buying a 2019 Subaru Outback, Touring trim line, 3.6L engine. It is coming up on two years old in July and I can honestly say I am very pleased with it. I get 21 mpg in strictly local around town traffic and 30 mpg on the open road at a constant 70 mph. My daughter has the identical vehicle and loves hers (but she wears a heavy shoe and does not do as well on the mileage). :wink:

This car replaced a 2010 4-cylinder Toyota Venza and it has as much cargo space as the Venza did (quite large for a two-row SUV). The new Venza is only in the hybrid form and has a lot less cargo space than the old one.
Tom D.
outbackcountry

Post by outbackcountry »

OldBallCoach wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 pm Toyota RAV 4 hybrid...best bang for buck, best quality too I think. Will hold resale well and you visit the dealer every 10K for service. I think other car worth at least driving is a Highlander hybrid...might be too big or expensive but a great ride....good luck!
Yes, and the RAV4 Hybrid is competitively priced than the regular. At the most, the difference between the regular and hybrid version would be about $2500.
adestefan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:27 pm The Subarus use the Toyota hybrid system. Last year Toyota increased their share of Subaru to 20% and made Subaru part of the Toyota Motor Group.
Until few years ago, Camry used to be manufactured at Subaru's Indiana manufacturing plant. This would have have stopped by now to accommodate Subaru's growing sales.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

bubbadog wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:16 pm

We had similar concerns.

A plug in hybrid such as the RAV4 Prime straddles this middle ground pretty well.

Charge at home for 42 miles of EV only range and 500+ mile range with a full tank of gas for longer trips.
This would be an excellent choice. They can be charged using a regular outlet (takes about 12 hours for full 42-mile charge). There is a Federal tax credit of up to $7,500 available, as well as whatever tax rebate your state may offer (in my state it's $1,500). Availability is an issue. While production was going to be very limited last year (the first year of production) anyway, the current chip shortage situation hasn't helped. I would have purchased one a couple of months ago if one were available.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

We have a Forester and CR-V; both are pre-owned.

I test drove the MazdaCX-5 and found the seats to be much too firm for me. But I loved the zoom zoom. We also test drove the Rav-4 and didn't care for it because it seemed to have a lot of road noise.

I much prefer the Forester and my partner prefers the CR-V. Both meet our needs A test drive is really the best way to identify which works best for you. You probably can't go wrong with either of them.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

Colorado13 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:50 am We have a Forester and CR-V; both are pre-owned.

I test drove the MazdaCX-5 and found the seats to be much too firm for me. But I loved the zoom zoom. We also test drove the Rav-4 and didn't care for it because it seemed to have a lot of road noise.

I much prefer the Forester and my partner prefers the CR-V. Both meet our needs A test drive is really the best way to identify which works best for you. You probably can't go wrong with either of them.
Dear Bogleheads,
Thank you for all great comments and input.
I test drove Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Mazda Cx5 and Forrester

I am going with Honda CRV silver EX-L AWD model
Hybrid is what sold this for me. I liked Forrester also but Forrester does not have hybrid.

I did not feel Mazda CX-5 and Toyota RAV4 were my type of cars. too many nobs on Mazda Cx5 and Toyota RAV4 did not seem to be giving anything special compared to Honda CRV. Besides Honda service i 5 minutes walking distance from where I live. Also I dont drive much on highway and I like quiet cars. I think Honda CRV hybrid has everything I need. Only issue is I have only owned Honda cars no other brands :? May be I dont like change!!

Many thanks for amazing comments and advice
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Spouse just drove home in a 2021 Honda CR-V EX Hybrid. She said it drove "rougher" than the test drive she took in it a few days ago. I have not driven the car yet, but will tomorrow.
BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker »

Owner of a CR-V HYBRID EX (2020) here.

I shopped FORESTER / RAV-4 HYBRID / CX-5, as well.
- CX-5 dropped off early because -- despite the driving-fun factor -- it seems front-seat-centric: rear seats & back cargo area just along for the ride.

- FORESTER was a v. strong contender but I was bothered by frequency of mechanical complaints, recalls, Tech Service Bulletins I saw on the NHTSA vehicle search pages for recent Foresters -- despite unwavering praise from Consumer Reports. Exhibit A: see cracked windshield complaints, which require costly glass replacement + recalibration of Eyesight System [NOTE: for 15+ yrs. I owned a *wonderful* LEGACY Wagon (precursor to OUTBACK), so I've been a Subie Lover in the past]

- RAV-4 HYBRID ...difficult because it has many plusses compared to the CR-V HYBRID -- but for me (6' 2" tall) the driver experience feels cramped & its AWD system is less capable than the CR-V HYBRID's direct mechanical AWD [for evidence, see YouTube roller tests comparing the 2 cars]

So, back to the CR-V HYBRID:
PROS:
- Open, airy driver feel / good visibilty / excellent safety suite / composed/grippy AWD maneuvering on hairpins / great cargo room / upscale interior / good-not-super MPG / torque-y off the line (followed by power drop-off)
CONS:
- No trailer hauling allowed / no spare tire / groans on uphill challenges / infotainment unit is dated (but Android Auto/Apple Carplay work fine) / most HYBRID owners (see the CR-V Owners Forum) find real world MPG averages 32-35, not 38. -- Note, that also appears true for most HYBRID RAV-4 owners as well, 34-37-ish, not 40+.
Last edited by BespokeBiker on Thu May 20, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

BespokeBiker wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:14 am
CONS:
- No trailer hauling allowed
Woah, didn’t know this. Was shopping for one but I guess I’ll have to do gas only. I have a small utility trailer that I sometime use for towing.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

My 2016 Acura RDX has been very reliable and is comfortable. I get it serviced at a Honda dealership.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

BespokeBiker wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:14 am no spare tire
Yikes! Is that also true of the conventional CRV, or is it unique to the hybrid CRV? What about RAV4, Forester, and CX5?
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:19 am
Yikes! Is that also true of the conventional CRV, or is it unique to the hybrid CRV? What about RAV4, Forester, and CX5?
I have a conventional CR-V and there is a spare tire in the trunk. Love that car.
BespokeBiker

Post by BespokeBiker »

Gas CR-V has a spare. Hybrid RAV-4 does, as do Forester and CX-5. Can't remember details now but some of those spares are full but some are limited use "doughnut spares" (my term)

Instead, for the HYBRID CR-V, Honda includes a portable electric inflator/tire sealant injector. Problem is that if you get a cut in, or near, the sidewall you're SOL.

SO...the lack of towing + lack of spare is a deal killer for some HYBRID CR-V shoppers. Interestingly Honda Europe permits some light duty towing by HYBRID CR-V owners. Not sure why Honda USA issued the total ban (warranty void). That said, USA owners do quietly install trailer hitch bars + bike carriers so they can carry bikes on the rear.
Last edited by BespokeBiker on Thu May 20, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Lack of spare on hybrid CR-V almost killed the deal for my spouse. But in reality, she would very likely never change a spare tire herself anyways. She would make use of roadside assistance, family, or friends to deal with it.

In 2020 my Outback had a sidewall slash on a jeep road in a remote desert location out of cell tower contact. I changed to the spare tire and eventually got to a tire shop about 120 miles away and bought a set of tires. Our hybrid CR-V would never be taken on such a road or to such a place.

Re: Towing. Towing a trailer is not the same as having a bike rack.

You know how a truck beeps when it is in reverse, the CR-V produces a warning noise when in reverse. I don't know if that is now standard for all cars or not, but our older cars do not do that. Added: Reading the manual, it seems the "Reverse Alert Tone" is customizable, so I'll have to go do something about it.

Added even more: Found out that the Reverse Alert Tone is unrelated. This car has to make a sound when moving under low speed due to the new Federal law. Different manufacturers have different names such as Acoustic Vehicular Alert System or Audible Pedestrian Warning.
Watty

Post by Watty »

My 2021 Forester has what the salesman called a full size temporary spare. I would think that a smaller "doughnut" temporary spare would not be possible with AWD.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Watty wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:10 pm
My 2021 Forester has what the salesman called a full size temporary spare. I would think that a smaller "doughnut" temporary spare would not be possible with AWD.
Is the temporary spare the "skinny" spare?
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

I've been reading good things about the new 2022 Tucson hybrid. Supposed to be roomy, smooth, quiet and peppy. The MPG numbers are a little down compared to the RAV4 hybrid but still respectable. Looks pretty decent, too.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

Emilyjane wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 am I have a 2021 Honda CRV hybrid, happy with it, mileage between 36-39 mpg. I would value the service within walkable distance.
I am OP I am thinking of Honda CRV hybrid 2021 (silver exterior, gray interior).

$34375 MSRP

2000 premium

699 documentation fee

498 total loss protection

2489.15 tax

5.50 online processing fee

7.50 NJ tire tax

401.00 motor vehicles (estimated)

$40475.15 total

Due to inventory issues the dealer is charging extra 2k. Are these prices reasonable ? I am not a car expert nor a savvy negotaitor.

I will truly appreciate help and advice.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^What model of CR-V hybrid? There are at least 3.

In May 2021, we bought a CR-V EX hybrid for $31,249 or more than $9,000 less than what you have shown. You are getting RIPPED OFF in a BIG WAY.

Think about this: If you had to go 1,000 miles away to save $9,000 would you do that and drive the car 1,000 to get home? I would. Fortunately though for us, the closest Honda dealer to us was the one we bought our car from.
philpill

Post by philpill »

forester, superb and i have owned many. check consumer reports.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

livesoft wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:12 pm ^What model of CR-V hybrid? There are at least 3.

In May 2021, we bought a CR-V EX hybrid for $31,249 or more than $9,000 less than what you have shown. You are getting RIPPED OFF in a BIG WAY.

Think about this: If you had to go 1,000 miles away to save $9,000 would you do that and drive the car 1,000 to get home? I would. Fortunately though for us, the closest Honda dealer to us was the one we bought our car from.
The model is Honda CRV EX-L
Did your total cost include taxes and other expenses
I checked the Kelly Blue Book the MSRP is same as what my dealer gave me
z91

Post by z91 »

2k markup on a mid-tier SUV is ridiculous, yes, even in this market IMO. I'd check out at least 2-3 more dealers to see what their pricing is.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

:sharebeer
z91 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:22 pm 2k markup on a mid-tier SUV is ridiculous, yes, even in this market IMO. I'd check out at least 2-3 more dealers to see what their pricing is.
completely agree