Streaming TV services?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Streaming TV services?

Post by Barefootgirl »

I just moved into a one year rental home with a landlord arrangement (not a corporate owned complex).

The internet service here is through Xfinity. The television service here is something called Smart Hub. I admit up front to being a very light TV watcher, so I am way out of my zone here.

There are no real channels on this TV, per se lol.....except I can enter my own credentials for Netflix, for example.

I don't watch television except for the major news channels and the occasional movie.

Before calling Xfinity to pay for a package - are there any other services that offer news in a plug and play type situation??

Please bear with my television ignorance. Prior to this location, I have been living in housing where TV with major news outlets just came with the place.

Thanks
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
tj

Re: Streaming TV services?

Post by tj »

There are several free streaming news apps. NewsOn, LocalNOW, CBS News, ABC News, NBC News
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

How important is getting news from a network? If it's important, you'll likely need to pay for a cable TV package or streaming via YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, etc.

If you get a Roku (and probably other streaming hardware), you can watch news on a bunch of free channels, but it won't typically be the same as what you would get on the networks.

If Locast is supported in your region, you can stream broadcast channels on Locast. If not, and you are in range of broadcast channels, you can get an antenna and watch network news.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

"Smart Hub" is not a television service, it's Samsung's built in software to do streaming.

There are in fact real channels on your TV. Push the Source button, top right of your remote, and then the arrows to scroll sideways until you reach "TV".

If you get no channels, it's either because a) the coax is connected to the Xfinity feed, awaiting you to select and pay for a TV package or b) there is no coax connected.

One option would be to buy or make (multiple Youtube videos on how to make a great TV antenna with a small piece of wood and coathangers, I have one in my attic and it works great) a TV antenna, which would be hooked up to the coax port.

Or, you can stream. You can find your TV's manual here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Can you get a signal with an antenna? If so, you can avoid a monthly cable charge and maybe find enough of what you want to watch OTA (over-the-air). Add a Roku for even more options, if the Samsung Smart Hub doesn't offer the streaming apps you want.

I recently replaced my Radio Shack rabbit ears with a little (7" tall) 360 degree antenna that sits next to my tv. Great reception. The antenna cost under $20. The Roku, under $25. One-time cost, no subscriptions -- unless I want to add something like Netflix or Amazon Prime.

You can use this FCC site to find out how far you are from the broadcast antennas: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Have you considered an antenna? They make good indoor antennas these days https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Curve-30-An ... 5149aa9081

But of course highly depending on your location. https://www.antennaweb.org/
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

For whatever it is worth, some local tv stations stream their newscasts for free as well. Just search for the local station on the streaming service (like Roku) and add the channel/app to the home screen.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

For your viewing requirements, there should be no need to sign up for a TV package or even a pay streaming service. I do not know anything about the Samsung apps or how easy the it is to use. You can try it. If it is insufficient for your needs, then buy a Roku or Amazon Firestick. They start at around $25.

CBSN is the 24/7 news channel offered by CBS. They also show other CBS news programs like 60 minutes and CBS Sunday Morning after they have aired live on broadcast TV.

There are a few apps that aggregate local news programming. I think I have used NewsON or Locast for this.

With the Roku, the Roku Channel is actually not a channel but a large collection of channels and on demand content. Included are many news options, such as ABC, NBC, Reuters, Bloomberg Quicktakes, etc. I assume most of these are available on other platforms elsewhere.

Tons of older movies available for free by streaming, especially if you are willing to watch commercials.

I found some great info on Reddit for cord cutters when I canceled cable the first time..
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Pluto.TV and Youtube
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:47 pm Have you considered an antenna? They make good indoor antennas these days https://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Curve-30-An ... 5149aa9081

But of course highly depending on your location. https://www.antennaweb.org/
Definitely try an antenna. Digital TV delivers stunning pictures.

I stream YouTubeTV, but I also have an indoor antenna on the TV in my room, so I can watch many stations if the 'net is down.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Oicuryy

Post by Oicuryy »

Some streaming services with cable channels.
Sling, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu+Live TV

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Depending on where you are located you may be able to stream the local stations using Locast.

https://www.locast.org/
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

You will see recommendations for YouTube TV here. It is a good service (though the price tends to go up regularly). Be aware that if you buy a Roku device for streaming, you will NOT be able to download the YouTube TV app anymore due to an ongoing disagreement between Google and Roku.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Oicuryy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:39 pm Some streaming services with cable channels.
Sling, Fubo, YouTube TV, Hulu+Live TV

Ron
These are all great and I have used several. But if the OP’s needs are as limited as stated in the first post, I do not think she needs to spend the $25-$45/month on these services.

If you are willing to watch on a computer or from a laptop with the TV acting as a monitor, there are even additional options not available on the streaming devices.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

If you are willing to watch on a computer or from a laptop with the TV acting as a monitor, there are even additional options not available on the streaming devices.

In this sort of interim period, I've been watching movies using my Amazon prime subscription. Additionally, whatever news casts or downloaded shows available on YouTube, again on the laptop.

Please excuse my ignorance, but how would I use the TV as a large monitor, in this case, with my laptop?

I am contemplating getting a Roku device - but I do watch a lot of things on YouTube - so no app there as mentioned above. Thanks.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

ChannelMaster has been making antennas for 50+ years and are considered some of the best in the business. Enter your zip code into the website...and it will give you a sense of which stations would be available to you via antenna (and recommendations on which antenna to purchase):

https://www.channelmaster.com/

I have a STEALTHtenna 50, located behind my TV set, and can get 10+ local channels...it's great. No need for a 3rd party service.

For movies, my family and I share Prime, Netflix and Hulu accounts, all of which stream via apps on my Smart TV (or you can get a cheap Roku or Fire Stick). Easy way to gain access to a lot of programming. And, my AT&T account comes with free HBO Max (a good deal, IMHO).

Best of luck.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 am Please excuse my ignorance, but how would I use the TV as a large monitor, in this case, with my laptop?

I am contemplating getting a Roku device - but I do watch a lot of things on YouTube - so no app there as mentioned above. Thanks.
Any TV made since 2008 or so will have an HDMI port. Any laptop made since then either has an HDMI port or a USB-C port that can be easily adapted. There are other ways to cast via wifi but the simplest is just a cable, and that'll depend on what ports your laptop has.

Also please note there is No issue with YouTube on Roku. The dispute involves YouTubeTV, the approximately $60/mo paid package of live TV channels.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Similar to roku, fire TV has worked for me pretty well. Their News app (free) has also started providing local news. Also has cbs, abc, NBC 24/7. A lot of the 24/7 is what you would expect if you're watching on an airport or public place, repeats every hour or so. But will cut into live pressers and also has some daily news programming at various times. Pluto tv can be downloaded as well that gives you more free channels, including some more news offerings. You can also download the YouTube app, it might have been pre-downloaded as well.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

https://pluto.tv/ is a completely free tv experience that includes hundreds of channels.

If you're a light viewer, I think it will cover your needs.
NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan »

Barefootgirl wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:22 am

Please excuse my ignorance, but how would I use the TV as a large monitor, in this case, with my laptop?

If you have any Roku connected to TV, you can cast via Wifi from your laptop or phone (assuming phone/laptop are on same Wifi network). On Android phone, from settings, select Smart View (Not sure what it is called on Apple). Roku will show up there in the list of devices.
You can do casting similarly from Windows (laptop) also.

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928