Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona
Contact:

Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Sandtrap »

Ceramic Pro Car Coatings
Website explanation of this:
https://ceramicpro.com/facts-about-cera ... -for-cars/

**Example of a local detailing shop for this service:

Local estimate:
$1200 to include a clay bar buffing and exterior detailing then application multiple coatings of the "Ceramic Pro Coating".
1 year later, to be "renewed" for $200.
etc. . .
Car is not to go through car washes with chemicals and brushes but only hand wash with "the products the detailing shop sells".
If using a car wash, only use the "Touch Free" car washes.

Questions:
1. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this?
2. How?
3. Is it legit?
4. Does it work?
5. Is it a waste of money? (why?)
6. Is the alternative to just wash one's car and "wax" it as needed just as effective in keeping a new car finish looking new and "protected" etc?
7. Other thoughts and input?

Situation:
DW had the Ceramic Coating on her new Toyota 4Runner done by a specialty shop and it is gorgeous. But, I don't know about longevity and care, and having it become a hassle to take care of.
My Toyota Tundra truck gets washed maybe. . . 1x/year at the car wash, exterior detailed every few years, and still looks .. "okay".
I just bought a new Honda Passport Elite AWD with that Pearl White finish and am thinking of maybe doing better at keeping a car looking well. Maybe. . . .

*Note: (edit) Due to a few physical limitations, I can't do anything more than wax a car myself, if even that. Though I can wash my truck using a soft boat brush and a good wipedown after that using a sudsy bucket of water and Turtle Wax Shampoo because it smells good and the green color looks neat. :D :D

Thanks for your input and suggestions, etc.
j :D
Image
Image
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
VGisforme
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by VGisforme »

Well ceramic coatings are legit but it all depends on how fastidious you are on car appearance. Many Bogleheads proudly can count on one hand how many car washes their 1996 Camry has had....

Other folks wrap their entire car in film to prevent any minor chips etc.

I’m a car guy and enjoy taking care of my cars. I don’t often have the hours it takes to properly hand wash, clay, polish and wax my cars. If I had unlimited time I’d do it much more often. The reality is I daily drive my cars and I live with minor paint chips and don’t go for perfection. Ceramic can be great for shedding water and keeping a car much cleaner between washes but it won’t stop a risk chip etc.

The bottom line is do you value this or not? Most folks are fine going thru an automated car wash with horrible spinning brushes a few times a year and don’t care about swirl marks in their paint.

If you have the patience and time you can apply your own ceramic product but doing it properly takes a lot of time. I’m happy to hand wash my cars maybe twice a year and do some minor paint correction and the rest of the time I use a touch less wash.
User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by sunny_socal »

It depends. My wife's volvo came with rather soft paint, it was deeply etched after spending a night next to some municipal sprinklers. (Apparently volvo uses some 'green' eco-friendly paint that takes a very long time to fully cure... months even) Washing didn't help, vinegar didn't help - eventually buffed it with a medium compound and random orbit foam pad and got it smooth again. After that I applied ceramic coat in my garage, two kits at $120 per kit
https://www.nasiol.com/nasiol-zr53-nano ... c-coating/

But I don't think I'd do it again. If you have any water whatsoever on your vehicle at time of application this stuff becomes hard as rock. I made a couple mistakes and spent hours undoing it (more buffing.) I'd gladly have a professional apply it.

My new Tundra on the other hand sits outside and endures rain, sprinklers, mud - you name it. A simple wash gets rid of it all. I don't see the need for a ceramic coat on that vehicle.
User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 1352
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Cyclesafe »

As above, it depends on one's expectations. IMHO, these products are oversold. A car that is actually driven will show chipping no matter how careful one is. If one is fastidious and the car is "worth it" a full or partial film wrap on a dark color is the way to prevent this. But for light colors, one has to contend with eventual film discoloration and the unsightly dirt that is seemingly attracted to its edges and seams.

I am quite picky about my cars. I hand wash every month or so, and clay, polish, and wax about once a year. I have a few chips caused by gravel from vehicles driving ahead of me, a few chips due to careless parking neighbors, and a chip from me lowering my garage door on a open rear hatch. Patina.

I use film only on areas most subject to damage such as the edge of the trunk, but otherwise I have balked at the cost and labor expense of the film.

In my view, these "ceramic" coatings can't really offer meaningfully more protection.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
teCh0010
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by teCh0010 »

Think about ceramic coating as a synthetic wax/sealer that works for 2 years if you take care of your car and wash it with the right products.

For a couple of hundred bucks you can get the supplies to paint protect and ceramic like three cars. After that it is just your time, with 8 to 12 hours of your time per car. Is 8 to 12 hours of your time worth $1k?

McKees 37 sells a one stop shop kit with everything including a porter cable polisher for $299, you can knock that down to $200is by going cheap on the polisher (harbor freight) and only getting exactly what you need to clay, polish, and ceramic.
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Sandtrap »

teCh0010 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 am Think about ceramic coating as a synthetic wax/sealer that works for 2 years if you take care of your car and wash it with the right products.

For a couple of hundred bucks you can get the supplies to paint protect and ceramic like three cars. After that it is just your time, with 8 to 12 hours of your time per car. Is 8 to 12 hours of your time worth $1k?

McKees 37 sells a one stop shop kit with everything including a porter cable polisher for $299, you can knock that down to $200is by going cheap on the polisher (harbor freight) and only getting exactly what you need to clay, polish, and ceramic.
Ceramic Coatings and the idea that they need at least a week to cure and not get wet reminds me of the old "Mirror Glaze" product that was hand applied and had to cure without getting wet for a couple days.
Also, once putting the "Mirror Glaze" on your car, it was tough to put car wax on it later.

Is the Ceramic Coating similar to that old stuff?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
User avatar
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Posts: 13263
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona
Contact:

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Sandtrap »

teCh0010 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 am Think about ceramic coating as a synthetic wax/sealer that works for 2 years if you take care of your car and wash it with the right products.

For a couple of hundred bucks you can get the supplies to paint protect and ceramic like three cars. After that it is just your time, with 8 to 12 hours of your time per car. Is 8 to 12 hours of your time worth $1k?

McKees 37 sells a one stop shop kit with everything including a porter cable polisher for $299, you can knock that down to $200is by going cheap on the polisher (harbor freight) and only getting exactly what you need to clay, polish, and ceramic.
Thanks for the great info.
Unfortunately, I can't do it myself.

Thanks
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
smitcat
Posts: 7637
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by smitcat »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:24 am
teCh0010 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 am Think about ceramic coating as a synthetic wax/sealer that works for 2 years if you take care of your car and wash it with the right products.

For a couple of hundred bucks you can get the supplies to paint protect and ceramic like three cars. After that it is just your time, with 8 to 12 hours of your time per car. Is 8 to 12 hours of your time worth $1k?

McKees 37 sells a one stop shop kit with everything including a porter cable polisher for $299, you can knock that down to $200is by going cheap on the polisher (harbor freight) and only getting exactly what you need to clay, polish, and ceramic.
Ceramic Coatings and the idea that they need at least a week to cure and not get wet reminds me of the old "Mirror Glaze" product that was hand applied and had to cure without getting wet for a couple days.
Also, once putting the "Mirror Glaze" on your car, it was tough to put car wax on it later.

Is the Ceramic Coating similar to that old stuff?

j :D
"Is the Ceramic Coating similar to that old stuff?"
No - not at all.
In cases where you really want great shine and protection the newer ceramic coatings are better and last longer.
For the most part with a typical user you can get very good results by sealing the surface with any good non ceramic sealer maybe 2 or 3 times a year dependent upon use and area. A typical non ceramic sealer like McGuires #21 is much easier to apply ....
Note - ceramic coatings dry very quickly.
squirm
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by squirm »

Project Farm has a video on this, I suggest you watch that.
Big Dog
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Big Dog »

Definitely legit, and popular in California. Ceramic makes washing a breeze. Personally, I don't mind washing/waxing cars, so I wouldn't do ceramic, but for my next new car, which I keep until the wheels fall off, I'll probably wrap the front to reduce dings. (ceramic doesn't help with dings, whereas wrap is supposedly self-healing).
Dottie57
Posts: 9912
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Dottie57 »

Big Dog wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am Definitely legit, and popular in California. Ceramic makes washing a breeze. Personally, I don't mind washing/waxing cars, so I wouldn't do ceramic, but for my next new car, which I keep until the wheels fall off, I'll probably wrap the front to reduce dings. (ceramic doesn't help with dings, whereas wrap is supposedly self-healing).
What is wrap?never mind. Found a video.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon May 03, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfstar
Posts: 2589
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by surfstar »

If you care about the car's appearance - personal or for resale - maybe it is "worth" it?

But, I would think that $1200 could be used to pay for 2-3 well-done professional detailings during your vehicles life. The last being before selling/trading. That might get you a higher resale, so perhaps economically this would be a better strategy?

We just wax the car 2x year and wash it every few months. That amount of waxing is enough for protection and our paint is better than 90% of the cars out there, without too much cost or too much time invested.
smitcat
Posts: 7637
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by smitcat »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:12 am
Big Dog wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am Definitely legit, and popular in California. Ceramic makes washing a breeze. Personally, I don't mind washing/waxing cars, so I wouldn't do ceramic, but for my next new car, which I keep until the wheels fall off, I'll probably wrap the front to reduce dings. (ceramic doesn't help with dings, whereas wrap is supposedly self-healing).
What is wrap?
A clear or colored plastic 'wrap' intended to protect and enhance the existing paint. Used on high impact/wear areas or on the entire car/truck/boat.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/graphics-signage-us/wraps/
adamthesmythe
Posts: 4149
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by adamthesmythe »

Interesting that it is called a "ceramic" coating while the web says it is a polymer. I am interested to know more about the chemistry here.

Personally I wouldn't do it on my recently purchased Rav4, which gets used on the forest roads sometimes. It does have some clear wrap on vulnerable areas. The cost of which got negotiated way down, by the way.

$1200 pays for a lot of oil changes, and I get a wash along with the oil change at the dealer.
mervinj7
Posts: 1776
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by mervinj7 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:24 am
teCh0010 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:04 am Think about ceramic coating as a synthetic wax/sealer that works for 2 years if you take care of your car and wash it with the right products.

For a couple of hundred bucks you can get the supplies to paint protect and ceramic like three cars. After that it is just your time, with 8 to 12 hours of your time per car. Is 8 to 12 hours of your time worth $1k?

McKees 37 sells a one stop shop kit with everything including a porter cable polisher for $299, you can knock that down to $200is by going cheap on the polisher (harbor freight) and only getting exactly what you need to clay, polish, and ceramic.
Ceramic Coatings and the idea that they need at least a week to cure and not get wet reminds me of the old "Mirror Glaze" product that was hand applied and had to cure without getting wet for a couple days.
Also, once putting the "Mirror Glaze" on your car, it was tough to put car wax on it later.

Is the Ceramic Coating similar to that old stuff?

j :D
I got CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coating done on two cars. Once on my Honda CRV back in 2018. Even 3 years later, it still makes the car relatively easy to clean. I don't have a garage so it's parked outside and it really helps with pollen and other cr*p in the air from sticking. Since I had such a good experience, I repeated it on my Nissan Leaf as well. That said, I didn't use a detailing shop to do it. I had a home detailer do it for $500 per car. Well worth it for about 6 hours of labor per car. I rate my own hourly time higher than that and I would not do as thorough a job. I would NOT do it for $1200.
illumination
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by illumination »

At that price ($1200 +$200 annually) I personally think it's a waste. I'm not doubting it doesn't have benefits, I just think conventional waxing would be 80% the same thing. A car being garaged is going to be more of a game changer than any wax.

Also, since you are looking for opinions, I don't think every car "deserves" such an elaborate paint treatment. If this was say a new Porsche 911, I get it. A more run of the mill vehicle (which is what I now drive) I guess I just don't see the value. I wax and garage my car, and after several years, it still looks like new. Would it look better 20 years from now with some treatment like this? Maybe, but it will also be a $4000 vehicle.
joebruin77
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by joebruin77 »

Here is a very helpful and informative video on ceramic coatings:

https://youtu.be/KY-8KyRrOuE

and here is a very helpful video from the same guy on Paint Protection Film (aka PPF):

https://youtu.be/ND4vE9vmQWE

If you want to keep the expense down, you can wash your car and apply a spray sealant once every 3-4 months. A bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine will set you back about $8. Keep in mind that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. For example, steer clear of F11. This sealant costs about $60 for 16 oz. There are a ton of videos on youtube showing that the $8 TWSS outperforms many more expensive sealants. The F11 degraded after just one wash!

You can apply a ceramic coating yourself, but you have to first polish and maybe even compound the paint, as a ceramic coating will seal in any imperfections. Ceramic coatings will make the car easier to wash and keep clean, but it can still be scratched and will not protect against rock chips.

Paint Protection Film or PPF is a very unique product in that it has self healing properties. In the video above, the guy purposely scratches his clear coat with a wire brush and then by applying heat from either the sun or hot water, the scratches just disappear. No other product will self heal like this. The disadvantage of PPF is that it is expensive. It can cost $5,000 to apply PPF to an entire car. That is why many people choose to only apply it to smaller, more vulnerable sections of the car. You can apply PPF first and then apply a ceramic coating over the PPF.

One last point. If you get PPF, you don't really have to worry about the film yellowing or lifting on the edges. Most major films come with a 10-year warranty to protect against such things.
Cycle
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by Cycle »

VGisforme wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 am Well ceramic coatings are legit but it all depends on how fastidious you are on car appearance. Many Bogleheads proudly can count on one hand how many car washes their 1996 Camry has had....
This BH gets one car wash per vehicle, and that is a detail before trade-in or sale. Car washes are completely optional and a personal preference thing. The cars get washed when driven in the rain. And I live in a state that liberally applies salt to the roads in winter. No issues in my 22 years of driving.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
bogledogle
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by bogledogle »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 pm Questions:
1. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of this?
2. How?
3. Is it legit?
4. Does it work?
5. Is it a waste of money? (why?)
6. Is the alternative to just wash one's car and "wax" it as needed just as effective in keeping a new car finish looking new and "protected" etc?
7. Other thoughts and input?
1. Yes.
2. I got ceramic coating (opti-coat pro) professionally applied on a couple of cars.
3. Yes. But, depends on what you are planning to get out of it. It will not make your car bullet proof. Ceramic coatings are like a permanent coat of wax and they are great if you like washing your car at home or at a self car wash - it makes the process very easy. Sometimes you just need to spray water and the car is clean.
4. Yes. I am happy with the results.
5. It depends on what it's worth to you. Are you emotionally attached to your car? Does a clean car and scratch free paint bring you joy? Do you have a desirable car that will lose value of you have scratched on it? - if the answer is yes, maybe it is worth.
6. You need to pick a good shop that does quality work. Anyone can apply the coating, getting it right is very important. Also, you need to do this when your car is new and does not have any paint damage yet.

Other thoughts:

I have an almost 8 year old car that has been coated once and the coat is still good. Some of the panels that have been repainted due to damages and have not been ceramic coated and you can tell the difference when you look closely. I highly recommend opti-coat pro. I have not spent a dime on waxing or paint detail since the coat. Just wash it and it's good to go. Car paint looks new like the day I got it, except for the rock chip on the front bumper.

Your detailing shop wants you to come back to them for washes and to buy products. The whole point of ceramic coating is to be able to go through car washes and take some accidental abuse without getting scratched. The $200 refresh is probably crap they are up-selling. My understanding is that a cured ceramic coating will repel everything including a fresh coat of the same ceramic coating, that's why you have to apply quickly before it dries and apply it panel by panel individually. You would have to polish away the old ceramic coat and put a fresh one if you wanted to "refresh" and &200 for that is really cheap.

If you have a lot of dust, sand, tree sap, bird droppings ..etc, or commit bug genocide with your front bumper when you drive around in your area, it may be worthwhile. If your garage your car, wash & wax at home regularly, it may not be worth it for you.
g2morrow
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by g2morrow »

ceramic coatings are so last year! its all about graphene coatings now :sharebeer
smitcat
Posts: 7637
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by smitcat »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:51 am Interesting that it is called a "ceramic" coating while the web says it is a polymer. I am interested to know more about the chemistry here.

Personally I wouldn't do it on my recently purchased Rav4, which gets used on the forest roads sometimes. It does have some clear wrap on vulnerable areas. The cost of which got negotiated way down, by the way.

$1200 pays for a lot of oil changes, and I get a wash along with the oil change at the dealer.
"Interesting that it is called a "ceramic" coating while the web says it is a polymer. I am interested to know more about the chemistry here."
Polymer coatings containing SiO2 have typically been refferred to as 'ceramic'
VGisforme
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 2:08 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by VGisforme »

Cycle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 pm
VGisforme wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:28 am Well ceramic coatings are legit but it all depends on how fastidious you are on car appearance. Many Bogleheads proudly can count on one hand how many car washes their 1996 Camry has had....
This BH gets one car wash per vehicle, and that is a detail before trade-in or sale. Car washes are completely optional and a personal preference thing. The cars get washed when driven in the rain. And I live in a state that liberally applies salt to the roads in winter. No issues in my 22 years of driving.
Yes and showers are also optional for some folks.... you don’t ever need to power wash your driveway or house or clean your windows for that matter all completely optional.

Same goes for vacuuming carpets etc.

Death and Taxes all else is optional!

Others enjoy nice hot shower, a clean house and a clean car (inside and out). As the ancient Greeks said, all things in moderation...
hunoraut
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by hunoraut »

Depends on your objectives. Are you trying to preserve the paint? Wanting to reduce the car care? Trying to maximize the shine and appearance?

The way I think of it, particularly driving in multi-climate area, car will accumulate dust and dirt for large part of the year, that the coating wont significantly reduce.

$1200 = 1 year of monthly mid-high grade detailing, or 2 years of basic-mid grade detailing. I would rather get this service than pay for the coating.

If you had a car with a paint you really wanted to cherish, pay for a partial (e.g. "clear bra") or full paint protection film.
teCh0010
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by teCh0010 »

illumination wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:24 pm At that price ($1200 +$200 annually) I personally think it's a waste. I'm not doubting it doesn't have benefits, I just think conventional waxing would be 80% the same thing. A car being garaged is going to be more of a game changer than any wax.

Also, since you are looking for opinions, I don't think every car "deserves" such an elaborate paint treatment. If this was say a new Porsche 911, I get it. A more run of the mill vehicle (which is what I now drive) I guess I just don't see the value. I wax and garage my car, and after several years, it still looks like new. Would it look better 20 years from now with some treatment like this? Maybe, but it will also be a $4000 vehicle.
I did a ceramic coating myself on my Honda Accord, the most run of the mill car in the world, but it was a practice run before I did the Porsche.
GmanJeff
Posts: 741
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by GmanJeff »

I had a hydrophobic paint protection film (PPF) applied to the front of my vehicle (front bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood, fenders, and kick panels back to the rear wheel arches) and ceramic on the rest, including a specialized coating for the wheels and calipers. Both make washing easy, since dirt tends not to adhere to the paint's surface as much as it would otherwise, but only the PPF provides a measure of impact protection.

Newer do-it-yourself spray coatings, such as this: https://www.turtlewax.com/products/ice- ... ax-16fl-oz can go a long way towards achieving results which are similar to a professionally applied ceramic coating, but are not as durable. Typically, a do-it-yourself spray must be applied at least every 6 months to remain effective, while a professional coating should last 5 years or so, perhaps more if a maintenance spray is used from time to time.
newyorker
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by newyorker »

Waste of money. Better to get the whole car ppf if you plan to spend money. If not, just leave it as is.
wolingfeng
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: WNY, New York

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by wolingfeng »

It's definitely legit, if done correctly. But it's expensive compared to other type of car detailing products/services. There are youtube videos you can watch. The question you need to ask yourself if you needed it, like others have said, how much do you enjoy and care to drive a shinny and nice looking car? It's worthless if you don't care at all. If you have time, you may get similar results by washing/detailing yourself. There are some joys about having a nice shinny car (regardless of its age), that only you can answer.
illumination
Posts: 1412
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by illumination »

teCh0010 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am
illumination wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:24 pm At that price ($1200 +$200 annually) I personally think it's a waste. I'm not doubting it doesn't have benefits, I just think conventional waxing would be 80% the same thing. A car being garaged is going to be more of a game changer than any wax.

Also, since you are looking for opinions, I don't think every car "deserves" such an elaborate paint treatment. If this was say a new Porsche 911, I get it. A more run of the mill vehicle (which is what I now drive) I guess I just don't see the value. I wax and garage my car, and after several years, it still looks like new. Would it look better 20 years from now with some treatment like this? Maybe, but it will also be a $4000 vehicle.
I did a ceramic coating myself on my Honda Accord, the most run of the mill car in the world, but it was a practice run before I did the Porsche.

But I'm guessing it didn't cost $1,200 (plus $200 annually) when you did your Accord yourself. I'm not against the tech, it sounds like its trickled down to affordable levels for average cars. I'm still using Nu Finish, Once a Year Polish on mine, it just goes on easy and seems to last. And available everywhere. I probably need to get with the times. :sharebeer
teCh0010
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by teCh0010 »

illumination wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 am
teCh0010 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am
illumination wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:24 pm At that price ($1200 +$200 annually) I personally think it's a waste. I'm not doubting it doesn't have benefits, I just think conventional waxing would be 80% the same thing. A car being garaged is going to be more of a game changer than any wax.

Also, since you are looking for opinions, I don't think every car "deserves" such an elaborate paint treatment. If this was say a new Porsche 911, I get it. A more run of the mill vehicle (which is what I now drive) I guess I just don't see the value. I wax and garage my car, and after several years, it still looks like new. Would it look better 20 years from now with some treatment like this? Maybe, but it will also be a $4000 vehicle.
I did a ceramic coating myself on my Honda Accord, the most run of the mill car in the world, but it was a practice run before I did the Porsche.

But I'm guessing it didn't cost $1,200 (plus $200 annually) when you did your Accord yourself. I'm not against the tech, it sounds like its trickled down to affordable levels for average cars. I'm still using Nu Finish, Once a Year Polish on mine, it just goes on easy and seems to last. And available everywhere. I probably need to get with the times. :sharebeer
I posted the price upstream. Ceramic from McKees 37 is $75. You can get enough for three cars and all the assorted clay mits and polish you need to do basic paint protection with a porter cable DA polisher for $300.
joebruin77
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by joebruin77 »

teCh0010 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:13 am
illumination wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:05 am
teCh0010 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am
illumination wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:24 pm At that price ($1200 +$200 annually) I personally think it's a waste. I'm not doubting it doesn't have benefits, I just think conventional waxing would be 80% the same thing. A car being garaged is going to be more of a game changer than any wax.

Also, since you are looking for opinions, I don't think every car "deserves" such an elaborate paint treatment. If this was say a new Porsche 911, I get it. A more run of the mill vehicle (which is what I now drive) I guess I just don't see the value. I wax and garage my car, and after several years, it still looks like new. Would it look better 20 years from now with some treatment like this? Maybe, but it will also be a $4000 vehicle.
I did a ceramic coating myself on my Honda Accord, the most run of the mill car in the world, but it was a practice run before I did the Porsche.

But I'm guessing it didn't cost $1,200 (plus $200 annually) when you did your Accord yourself. I'm not against the tech, it sounds like its trickled down to affordable levels for average cars. I'm still using Nu Finish, Once a Year Polish on mine, it just goes on easy and seems to last. And available everywhere. I probably need to get with the times. :sharebeer
I posted the price upstream. Ceramic from McKees 37 is $75. You can get enough for three cars and all the assorted clay mits and polish you need to do basic paint protection with a porter cable DA polisher for $300.
I love McKees 37 products in general. If you want to get a DA polisher, I recommend going with the Griot's Garage G9, as it comes with a lifetime warranty.
olyveoil
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:47 am

Re: Ceramic Pro Car Coatings: (other car coatings by detailing shops) Legit or waste of $$$$ ????

Post by olyveoil »

To get a feel for how Ceramic looks try this.

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybr ... x-26-fl-oz

Will last a couple months is my experience. $13 has done my Highlander twice and 2011 Lexus ES350 once.
Post Reply