Who will install non-OEM parts I bought for my car?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I have ordered some replacement side mirrors (that fold in) for my 2017 Nissan Maxima that are exact replacements for the original OEM part #s.
(At least that's what the place I bought them from claims and I checked the exact part #s on Nissan's site.)
Will a Nissan dealer install them? Or a body shop? Or someone else?
Thanks.
[The new mirrors fold in so the car will fit in my garage, just fyi.]
cheese_breath

Re: Who will install non-OEM parts I bought for my car?

Post by cheese_breath »

I doubt a Nissan dealer would do it. Check the auto repair shops, not body shop.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

You'll need to call around and ask (and probably should have before you ordered). Many, if not most, automotive service places will not install customer-provided parts.

If you can't find a service retailer willing to install them, you may have to do it yourself or ask a mechanically inclined buddy. Hopefully you'll have success in locating an installer rather than being stuck with parts you ordered but can't install. :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I installed a mirror that my wife destroyed backing out of the garage. I expect any handy person could do it. Maybe you have a friend, relative, neighbor, or know someone at work who can do this for you?

In another instance, we were filling the car with gas and struck up a conversation with a guy in a glass repair truck on the neighboring pump. He cut a mirror right there for our car and stuck in on with double-sided tape. Didn't charge us anything.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun May 02, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks. Really, a body shop won't? Isn't that the kind of thing they do for collisions?
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

rgs92 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:27 pm Thanks. Really, a body shop won't? Isn't that the kind of thing they do for collisions?
The point is that many or most body shops don't want to work with customer-supplied parts. So yes, they do that for collisions - for parts they supply themselves.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

livesoft wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 pm I installed a mirror that my wife destroyed backing out of the garage. I expect any handy person could do it. Maybe you have a friend, relative, neighbor, or know someone at work who can do this for you?

In another instance, we were filling the car with gas and struck up a conversation with a guy in a glass repair truck on the neighboring pump. He cut a mirror right there for our car and stuck in on with double-sided tape. Didn't charge us anything.
Unless you did this work on the same exactly year/model vehicle, you can't really comment on the difficulty. I too have replaced a mirror with an aftermarket alternative, but wouldn't make blanket statements one way or the other. Usually removal of some amount of interior trim is involved, and in some cases more than others, there's a knack required for doing that without damaging the trim.

Personally I absolutely wouldn't feel comfortable asking "any handy person" - relatives, neighbors, etc. to do this, partly because what will happen if there's collateral damage - maybe expensive collateral damage. It's one thing if you cause damage yourself, but I wouldn't put someone I know in that position.

Replacing the glass in a mirror, which I've also done, is a completely different situation, and I would agree that in every case I know of, anyone can do that, and at least in my experience the glass isn't expensive.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Call around to independent shops and collision centers and ask. I've had shops install parts I've purchased before without any problems.
congruentsea

Post by congruentsea »

Nate79 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 pm Call around to independent shops and collision centers and ask. I've had shops install parts I've purchased before without any problems.
Agree, have done many times.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

I attempted to make exactly this replacement on a truck I owned. Everything went well until I got to a step that required an exotic kind of twisty screwdriver with an unusual head on it. I was stuck. I went to my local repair shop to ask if they could help me out, and they completed the job for free in less than 5 minutes. I thanked them with a lavish tip. But I got very close to being able to install the part myself. You might be able to do yours.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Look on YouTube of a video that shows you how to replace the mirrors. If you have a popular car model there is likely a video for that model and year that will show you how to do replace the mirror yourself. After you have seen how it is done you can decide if you want to try to do it yourself. After seeing just what is involved you may also decide to pay someone to do it for you but your will have a good idea why it costs what it does.

I normally do not do many car repairs myself but after watching a video I was easily able to replace the light assembly(The big clear thingy, not just the bulb) on my wifes pickup because the old ones were old and frosted and polishing them was only a temporary fix. There were a number of steps but after seeing how it was done it was not hard at all.

I even took my laptop down to the garage so I could watch the video and pause it as I went through each step.

I also replaced a tail light assembly(the big red, yellow and clear, plastic thingy) on her truck. I thought that would be a bit complicated but when I saw the video I only needed to unplug it, remove two bolts then put the new one in. It only took about 10 minutes.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

congruentsea wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:29 pm
Nate79 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 pm Call around to independent shops and collision centers and ask. I've had shops install parts I've purchased before without any problems.
Agree, have done many times.
Same here. I can not imagine that it would be hard to find either a body shop or a mechanic to do that. May be locale dependent, I guess???

But your phone is your friend here.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

rgs92 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:27 pm Thanks. Really, a body shop won't? Isn't that the kind of thing they do for collisions?
I think a body shop would be the most likely place to get this done. However expect them to charge high as part of their profit is in markup on parts. They may also be unwilling to guarantee a successful installation.

I replaced a mirror once and it was not a big deal. But then it was on a Toyota. This kind of thing could range from trivial to epic depending on the design.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Watty wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:02 pm Look on YouTube of a video that shows you how to replace the mirrors. If you have a popular car model there is likely a video for that model and year that will show you how to do replace the mirror yourself. After you have seen how it is done you can decide if you want to try to do it yourself. After seeing just what is involved you may also decide to pay someone to do it for you but your will have a good idea why it costs what it does.

I normally do not do many car repairs myself but after watching a video I was easily able to replace the light assembly(The big clear thingy, not just the bulb) on my wifes pickup because the old ones were old and frosted and polishing them was only a temporary fix. There were a number of steps but after seeing how it was done it was not hard at all.

I even took my laptop down to the garage so I could watch the video and pause it as I went through each step.

I also replaced a tail light assembly(the big red, yellow and clear, plastic thingy) on her truck. I thought that would be a bit complicated but when I saw the video I only needed to unplug it, remove two bolts then put the new one in. It only took about 10 minutes.
+1 I replaced a side mirror with one from Amazon by watching YouTube.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I have had trouble with getting a body shop to do a small repair even if I have used them several times before. The problem is that if a fair price for a repair is only $100 then it was not worth their time to do all the paperwork and potentially be liable for any problems.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Watty wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:03 pm I have had trouble with getting a body shop to do a small repair even if I have used them several times before. The problem is that if a fair price for a repair is only $100 then it was not worth their time to do all the paperwork and potentially be liable for any problems.
Again, location dependent. DW recently had a nearby body shop do a small repair on the rear bumper of her SUV damaged when she backed into something. Charge: $85.

A few years ago DS got the same shop to find a used outside mirror to replace the one he destroyed by running into a mailbox. Another nearby body shop was willing to do the same repair a bit cheaper (I forget what the charge was) but the used mirror they located was not a matching color.
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

YouTube on how to install for your vehicle. Should have plenty of videos for a maxima

It might be easier than you think

For my car it's just pop off panel, remove three 10mm bolts, unhook connector
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

deleted
Last edited by F150HD on Sun May 02, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SR7

Post by SR7 »

OP, Your local independent auto shop should be happy to do this for you.
I studied Physics not Finance, so best to ignore anything I say about money.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

It is a quagmire for the shop. If they get into the job and the parts don't fit, then who is responsible? You are.
And you will likely need to pay for reassembly if the right parts can't be provided immediately and you need to take the car.

When the shop provides the parts, their part price covers that eventuality, but not when you provide the parts.

What if something stops eorking in 30 days? Part problem or installation problem? With customer supplied parts, you will be on the jook for removal and diagnosis...and more if it is your parts problem.

A garage will likely view you as a likely troublesome customer and just not take your business...unless perhaps you already had a great relationship with the shop, but if you had that, you would likely have just had the shop buy the parts and install them knowing that the small profit they make on parts is likely generally reasonable given all the potential issues with parts.

If you are handy enough to buy the parts yourself, you should plan to install them your self. It should not be too hard.

Good luck which ever way you end up going.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I don’t know about body shops - but local mechanics probably will. Ours have done it in the past. They also are willing to use whatever oil/filter you want with your exchange - you just have to bring it with you. If you get the part - typically they will install it. If you are a frequent customer/client - they may even do it for free if it is less than 15 minutes - just my previous experience....
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Independent shops will do it but most will charge a premium of 10% or so because you don’t buy the parts thru them. It is still usually well worth paying that premium.

I’ve ordered parts thru Rock Auto and had them installed before. Usually suspension bits that take too long for me to do without a lift. I bring my own oil and filters if I don’t feel like doing an oil change at home too.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

rgs92 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 pm Who will install non-OEM parts I bought for my car?
I have ordered some replacement side mirrors (that fold in) for my 2017 Nissan Maxima that are exact replacements for the original OEM part #s.
(At least that's what the place I bought them from claims and I checked the exact part #s on Nissan's site.)
Thanks.
OP, are they power folding mirrors? If so, you'll obviously have to add the switch and do you know if you have the wiring harness in the vehicle already?

If not powered mirrors, disregard.

As far as the parts, I'm confused. You say non OEM, yet you say you matched the part numbers on the Nissan website. Simple cross reference or actually Nissan parts? If they are Nissan parts, you can probably find a dealer to install them. I would just find a reputable independent shop, but know that a lot of mechanics are great at making vehicles function, body part replacements are a different story.

Have you looked around for some Nissan or Maxima nerd forums to see how hard it is to DIY? I've replaced whole side mirrors before and they are generally straightforward. Of course I say that after donating blood and a part to a 16 day old truck yesterday replacing headlight bulbs :annoyed .
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

brokendirtdart wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 am Of course I say that after donating blood and a part to a 16 day old truck yesterday replacing headlight bulbs :annoyed .
Sixteen DAY old truck??? :shock:

Must be a Dodge. :wink:
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

galawdawg wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:21 am
brokendirtdart wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 am Of course I say that after donating blood and a part to a 16 day old truck yesterday replacing headlight bulbs :annoyed .

:happy

Actually it is my fourth Dodge. :D
Came without the LED light package which doesn't bother me-I was simply upgrading the OEM halogen bulbs to a better halogen. I swear by Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Had to go in from both the wheelwell and hood at the same time to replace.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

You could try finding someone in TaskRabbit or in a Nissian forum to help.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

galawdawg wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:24 pm You'll need to call around and ask (and probably should have before you ordered). Many, if not most, automotive service places will not install customer-provided parts.

If you can't find a service retailer willing to install them, you may have to do it yourself or ask a mechanically inclined buddy. Hopefully you'll have success in locating an installer rather than being stuck with parts you ordered but can't install. :happy
I have done this before and had no problem getting an independent auto shop to install.
Topic Author
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Thanks everyone. Lots of good information.
This is the part, if anyone is curious.

https://www.carid.com/2017-nissan-maxim ... 42142.html
momm77

Post by momm77 »

I have a small pickup and the mirrors have come off a couple times. Both times I purchased replacement mirrors on eBay. The first time a local auto repair shop installed the new mirror and asked no questions about the part. The second time, my son and I watched a youtube video and he installed it. It's been awhile since either was replaced and the mirrors work fine and they are electric mirrors.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Folding mirrors I would think will require a switch and extra leads. I doubt this is a something anyone can do.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Or a FIAT (Fix It Again Tony)
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

cheese_breath wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:59 am

Or a FIAT (Fix It Again Tony)
Sort of ironic, but when I lived in Italy I had a Brazilian made Fiat.
hand

Post by hand »

Take a look on Craigslist or similar for a mobile mechanic.
stay_the_course

Post by stay_the_course »

I've broken my side mirrors once: a couple of YouTube videos later, some pry tools and a lot of patience later I was good to go :happy
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

On many vehicles, if you go from non-powered mirrors to power-folding mirrors, you'll need to install a harness and possibly program the vehicle so it knows the mirrors are there.

Auto forums dedicated to the brand and model are usually the best place for good information on specific updates / installs such as this. I wouldn't expect a financial forum to have that level of detailed information. I utilized a specific truck forum dedicated to my model truck for all sorts of similar information.

I'm wondering why OP would buy something that he didn't plan on installing himself before ensuring that someone would be willing to do the installation?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

squirm wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 am Folding mirrors I would think will require a switch and extra leads. I doubt this is a something anyone can do.
Yeah, OP bought power folding mirrors. Not exactly plug and play to go from dumb mirrors to powered mirrors.

That said, a lot of vehicles that have an OEM option such as power mirrors/fog lights/etc but didn't install it during the build, already has the wiring harness ran. Some Toyotas are notorious for it, but you never know until you go digging.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I have had an independent mechanic install parts I bought and I had no previous business relationship with them. My memory is I just called them and asked and they said fine. I got the impression that they weren't parts that they could easily source, so were happy for me to do the research and buy them. In this case, they were shock absorbers. Mirrors might be different, but I would say no harm in asking. Isn't it legendary that on Monday mornings garages are filled with people who tried to fix their own cars and bring the parts in a basket to their mechanics to complete the repair? I''ve never been in that situation myself, but I've come close, and always assumed my mechanic would take the job, perhaps with some good natured (or not) ribbing.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

sorry I did not read the make of the car first - you should be able to find a good independent mechanic that only works on foreign cars - often in our metro area it is even more broken down - European or Japanese. They should be able to help you. BTW, I have had my mechanic replace various parts and I have bought the parts. It really depends on how they want to work it but most (in my experience) would work with you to help fix your car. JMO though...
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

Assuming it's a direct, compatible replacement (i.e. you're not trying to convert from an unpowered to a powered mirror, which would be rather difficult), doesn't look that complicated as a DIY job to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3bjVYzuTJ0
Here's a video on the Maxima: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIWRHzAOAI
Alternatively, there are repair manuals that tell you what to do and in what order. Probably less effort than looking for a shop to do this.

Not certain of the value of most of the replies on this thread.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

I would agree that this is a relatively easy replacement. However, it does involve taking the inside door off which can be a real pain for someone not comfortable doing it.
IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy »

I had an independent mechanic who would install parts I brought in but he marked up his labor another 30% and wouldn't warranty the parts. This seemed fair in that he was missing out on the markup on the parts and he didn't have control over the parts I brought in. I had a source to buy genuine Volvo parts pretty cheaply and it made the surcharge worthwhile.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

autonomy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm Assuming it's a direct, compatible replacement (i.e. you're not trying to convert from an unpowered to a powered mirror, which would be rather difficult), doesn't look that complicated as a DIY job to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3bjVYzuTJ0
Alternatively, there are repair manuals that tell you what to do and in what order. Probably less effort than looking for a shop to do this.

It's pretty clear that the OP is doing exactly what you stated above, which I bolded - converting from non-power mirrors to power-folding mirrors.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Taxapalooza

Post by Taxapalooza »

Your best bet is a local mom and pop auto shop. My parents use a small family owned shop for their car repair and my dad has brought his own parts in before. My only advice is build a good rep with them before you start asking to bring in your own parts and respect their decision not to use said parts for certain repairs if that is their preference.
Don't give up the ship.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

rgs92 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 pm Who will install non-OEM parts I bought for my car?
Thanks.
Yourself?
Mirrors are reasonable easy to install. For some cars is a 10 minute job. For others is couple of hours but still, no big deal.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

I would search for "tuner shop" on yelp, craiglist, or google in your area, now that we know a little more about what you are trying to do. They probably have more skill and familiarity with what you are doing.

Congrats, you are now showing up number 2 or 3 in Google on this topic! I searched "auto accessories shop power folding mirrors installation nissan maxima"
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

RickBoglehead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm
autonomy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm Assuming it's a direct, compatible replacement (i.e. you're not trying to convert from an unpowered to a powered mirror, which would be rather difficult), doesn't look that complicated as a DIY job to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3bjVYzuTJ0

It's pretty clear that the OP is doing exactly what you stated above, which I bolded - converting from non-power mirrors to power-folding mirrors.
On modern cars all of the wiring and harnesses are already in place but unused. It’s cheaper for them to have one base frame that includes one harness and then just put in the non-powered part at the end. Putting in the upgrade is literally a matter of pulling the old one and plugging in a new one. I’ve done this with mirrors, fog lights, cabin lights, and radios on modern Mazdas, Subarus, and Hondas.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I used to own a Nissan Maxima with manual transmission. This mirror part is trivial to install and I expect the next post from the OP tells us that they installed the mirror themselves in about 10 minutes.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

RickBoglehead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pmIt's pretty clear that the OP is doing exactly what you stated above, which I bolded - converting from non-power mirrors to power-folding mirrors.
I disagree. The mirror adjustments are powered from the driver seat as is typical nowadays, but the folding is not power-folding. It is manual folding.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

adestefan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm

On modern cars all of the wiring and harnesses are already in place but unused. It’s cheaper for them to have one base frame that includes one harness and then just put in the non-powered part at the end. Putting in the upgrade is literally a matter of pulling the old one and plugging in a new one. I’ve done this with mirrors, fog lights, cabin lights, and radios on modern Mazdas, Subarus, and Hondas.
Not true. Maybe true on some models, not all. I can tell you that for certain higher end features on F-150s, the harness is not there for things like power folding mirrors and puddle lamps.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

I replaced a CR-V side mirror that was destroyed hitting a garage door jamb.

I bought the mirror online and a body shop was happy to be paid to paint it to match the body color. I didn't ask them to install it, though I suspect they would have if I paid them.

There were several YouTube videos that showed me exactly how to install it.