Is all Tyvek the same?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Is all Tyvek the same?

Post by Caduceus »

I watched a Youtube video about how wrapping carpet in Tyvek was a good storage solution because it was water proof and pest proof but still breathable. I found a vendor on Ebay selling Tyvek by the foot, so I can just buy a little for my purposes, but I wasn't sure if all Tyvek was the same. This looks quite industrial.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupont-Tyvek-H ... 3409404122

Is this the "Tyvek" people are speaking of for carpet wrapping?
livesoft

Re: Is all Tyvek the same?

Post by livesoft »

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

What is pictured on the link is Tyvek grade 10 which is firmer/stiff. Grade 14/16 is what's used for wrapping as its is softer and more pliable.
Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

bob60014 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 am What is pictured on the link is Tyvek grade 10 which is firmer/stiff. Grade 14/16 is what's used for wrapping as its is softer and more pliable.
I don't mind if it's stiff. Do you think it's alright to go ahead with this Tyvek for carpet wrapping then? Or is it just a fundamentally different product?
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

All "Tyvek" is not even Tyvek. Tyvek is a brand of DuPont, and there are imitators and knock-offs out there.
sully45

Post by sully45 »

You might also check around for Typar. Similar spun bound material, very stiff, still 'breathable'. I've found local hardware stores tend to carry that when they don't carry Tyvek.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I only have experience with Tyvek in construction where it must withstand the outside elements, etc.
Here is a good article on various membranes:
https://www.ecohome.net/guides/2219/wea ... tall-them/
There are a lot of products like "Tyvek" with different brand names that do the same job.
While not necessarily the "same" per se, they all do the purpose.
*Note: use the tape that is made for a specific brand membrane as it will stick and perform the best.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know