St. Augustine, FL

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
camden

St. Augustine, FL

Post by camden »

Will be there for a couple of days in May (have never been before). Places to see and things to do? Restaurant recommendations?
rick51

Re: St. Augustine, FL

Post by rick51 »

While you’re waiting for some responses, you might try Trip Advisor to see what they have to say.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

The historic downtown is fairly small and walkable. A day will be more than enough to tour around. If you are a golfer, visit TPC Sawgrass, where the players championship is played.
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

The fort. But you probably already had that on your list.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Yes, see the Old City and Fort, but really see the old Florida (beaches wildlife, forests, etc.), which barely exists today. It is not unlike when I grew up there in the 30s and 40s. Visit Anastasia State Park on the ocean 1600 or so acres with unspoiled beaches, loads of birds like roseate spoonbills. Huge, ancient dunes (stay off of). Watch the dolphins play.

Try inland some too for a different few, such as Fort Mose Historic State Park which is located just a few blocks north of the city limits. It is a small slice of land along the marshes of the Intracoastal Waterway. There is some history there as well.

A little further away, but still close is Washington Oaks Gardens State Park (Palm Coast, FL), just beyond Marineland in Flagler County, is a a treasure with gorgeous gardens of azaleas, camellias and roses as well as a number of exotic plants.

Woof Woof
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
chw

Post by chw »

Buy the Trolley pass while you’re there. While the city is walkable, it will get you around a bit easier, and at the same time get some history narrated by the Trolley driver. Flagler museum worth the admission. The old fort on the waterfront was interesting, as was the Fountain of Youth Park, among other attractions. Make a visit to the Visitor Center upon arrival to get an idea what may interest you.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

We were there 2 months ago. The hop on/off trolley is a good way to get to the more remote areas, but in all honesty most everything is easy to walk to. I recommend:
Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
Cathedral Basilica
Lightner Museum
St George St. -though touristy, shops and restaurants
We enjoyed walking around the Lincolnville neighborhood, MLK Av area and the St Francis St areas. All have interesting history and architecture.

Restaurants, many to choose from, and though there are probably other good choices, we enjoyed:
Harrys Seafood
Columbia Restaurant
Bull and Crown
St Augustine Seafood Co
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

camden wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:49 amWill be there for a couple of days in May (have never been before). Places to see and things to do? Restaurant recommendations?
I liked Scarlett O'Hara's near Flagler College. It's a small bar/restaurant. The old town has plenty of nice restaurants, but I don't remember their names offhand. A lil bit pricey for my taste.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Sheepdog wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:34 amYes, see the Old City and Fort, but really see the old Florida (beaches wildlife, forests, etc.), which barely exists today. It is not unlike when I grew up there in the 30s and 40s. Visit Anastasia State Park on the ocean 1600 or so acres with unspoiled beaches, loads of birds like roseate spoonbills. Huge, ancient dunes (stay off of). Watch the dolphins play.
Nice to know there's another St. Auggy native here on Bogleheads. :sharebeer Grew up there in the 1980's. I still visit the city once in a blue moon. There's still parts of the city/area I haven't visited.
Volando

Post by Volando »

Check out The Floridian restaurant and San Sebastian winery!
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

rick51 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:58 am While you’re waiting for some responses, you might try Trip Advisor to see what they have to say.
Agree - generally a better (more productive) place to make these queries.
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

Restaurants: Downtown: Collage, Ice Plant; ElkHouse down A1A on the island.
dcare

Post by dcare »

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere, and I have dined in most states.
https://www.capsonthewater.com/
At Cap's On The Water, we prepare new coastal cuisine, pairing fresh local seafood with traditional Southern, as well as Mediterranean flavors.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Do the Flagler College tour. They have an impressive collection of Tiffany glass.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

ST Augustine is a tired place. There is a historic downtown which is ok to walk around, but its tiny and you can do that in a few hours.

The outlets are lame. THe world golf village is embarrassing. Im surprised its still around tbh.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

O'Steens is great food in a diner setting. It is cash-only, they have an ATM on-site if needed.

It is almost always crowded with a line, but it shares a parking lot with a good sized antique mall, and after you leave your name at the restaurant you can go to the mall and wander around, and listen for your name on the antique mall's speakers.

It's not a white tablecloth venue by any means, but the food is great.

Also shop for Minorcan Brand Datil Pepper sauce at local grocery stores and stock up. I think that brand is better than all the other Datil Pepper sauce brands. It isn't widely distributed, so I periodically by it by the box online. (My local grocery store carries a different brand of Datil Pepper sauce, and it doesn't compare.)

TNWoods
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

We took the tour of the distillery a few years ago. It was interesting and worth the time.

https://www.staugustinedistillery.com
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

Hard to know without more info about who is going. I love Anastasia Island if you are into nature.

For the fort, check on when the tour talks will be, as that adds so much to the experience. It is a National Park, so passholders can bring in a few family members for free.

Saltwater Cowboys is one of my favorite restaurants. Not sure if it survived Covid.
Pdub

Post by Pdub »

The Floridian and Harrys are good for local foods and seafood respectively. There are ice cream places everywhere. Pizza time is good for pizza.

If you have kids they may like the horse and carriage rides that start by the pier at nights. They only take cash however so come prepared.
f35phixer

Post by f35phixer »

ponyboy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:50 am ST Augustine is a tired place. There is a historic downtown which is ok to walk around, but its tiny and you can do that in a few hours.

The outlets are lame. THe world golf village is embarrassing. Im surprised its still around tbh.
we stopped on way back from snow birding...

I didnt feel like it was worth it, Wont ever stop there again...

Someplace else is Jekyll Island Ga, We go there lots, Google that place... Its nice, you can also shoot over to Sea Island area....
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

we were there in 2002, mid May. It was amazing. The art galleries and outdoor dining. The carousel in the park!!
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, my family and I enjoyed the light house. The climb to the top is not for the feint of heart but the views at the top are incredible. The rest of the grounds are also neat to explore.
Two Rick Steves'esque recommendations:
1. The have a small sweet shop on site - their homemade fudge was incredible.
2. Their gift shop hat lots of fun little knick-knacks and their prices were shockingly low. Example: postcards were 5 for $1; the stores in downtown were $1/each.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

When we were there a few years back, we had a lovely, memorable anniversary dinner at The Ice Plant. Really interesting craft cocktails, nicely-prepared food, and good desserts.

Also the historic tour of the old fort. And the Lightner Museum.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Casa Maya little place (outside dinning available) in old town. Good breakfast/lunch ... very good dinners (ask for mole sauce item).
Taz

Post by Taz »

Food & drink:
- Old Coast Ales on Anastasia Island is very good. Small taco place beside it is quick and tasty.
- Michael's St Augustine (formerly the Tasting Room) in the Old Town area is very good for Spanish food.
- The Ice Plant Bar (nest to the St. Aug Distillery) is good. Make sure you look at the bourbon menu at the bar BEFORE you order. BTW, if you are looking for more in-depth distillery tour, Manifest near the Baseball Grounds in downtown Jax offers a special distiller's tour on Saturdays by reservation only.

Other:
- Anastasia State Park has standup paddle boards, kayaks, hobie cats to rent on Salt Run.
- Guide kayak tours with St Augustine ECO tours
- There are several shows at the Amphitheatre in May.
- The Lightner Museum is a strange collection of collections and stuff.

Edited: Chef Phil's BBQ Sauce and rubs with datil peppers are also a good choice.
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller