Questions for New York Times Subscribers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NW_Nutmegger

Questions for New York Times Subscribers

Post by NW_Nutmegger »

I am nearing the end of my $4 a month New York Times digital one year promotional subscription and I am contemplating continuing with the regular $17 per month digital package.

I also have the option of a $40 a month, seven days a week physical paper (and all access digital) subscription for a year on the table as well — it normally is $80 a month (!).

Question for those of you who subscribe: why do you continue to subscribe?

I'm curious to know some of the reasons you enjoy this iconic newspaper, which has racked up a jaw-dropping 130 Pulitzer Prizes (Washington Post being second with 69).

Bonus: for those of you who still read the physical paper (which for me, at the age of 45, is still my preference): what is it about reading the physical paper that beats reading it via a phone, tablet or computer screen?

Really looking forward to your comments.
“Rely on the ordinary virtues that intelligent, balanced human beings have relied on for centuries: common sense, thrift, realistic expectations, patience and perseverance.” — Jack Bogle
jimjam600

Re: Questions for New York Times Subscribers

Post by jimjam600 »

Call and tell them you want to cancel. They were quick to extend our subscription at $4 a month.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I like to read the readers' comments which can sometimes be totally off the wall, but sometimes more insightful than the article. I do not believe the hardcopy has those readers' comments. We basically have ditched physical papers except the Sunday edition of the Houston Chronicle. Physical paper has coupons, but I don't recall the NYTimes ever having coupons even when I lived on Long Island, NY.

Crossword is something with the physical paper, too.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat May 01, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

NW_Nutmegger wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:57 pm Question for those of you who subscribe: why do you continue to subscribe?
Basically, because I want to read the content I want to read when I want to read it. NY Times is still one of the few places where one can get original news content that can't be replicated for free elsewhere. To keep these kinds of subscription expenses in perspective, I do limit myself to only the services I actually use, and I use the NY Times.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

jimjam600 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:59 pm Call and tell them you want to cancel. They were quick to extend our subscription at $4 a month.
Same here. I hate this business model (shared by most newspapers, unfortunately) of starting with a reasonable monthly rate, then jacking up the price ridiculously, forcing you to threaten to cancel in order to get a better price. It's similar to the cable companies of yore. There's a reason most people switched to Netflix and other streaming services, which afaik charge everyone the same fair price.

I flat out canceled my WSJ subscription after my discounted rate expired and they increased it to an absurd $39/month. If this was for a physical paper I could maybe understand, but for online only access?

I'll probably cancel the NYT when my $4/month rate expires. Will keep the separate crossword and cooking subscriptions which are pretty reasonable and worthwhile to me.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

We are 6 day a week subscribers, eschewing the $12 Sunday behemoth. I am forced to read the on-line paper when I am away from home and I find the on-line version a bit confusing. It has lots of older stories that I've already read and a few new ones. Which ones are new? It can be hard to tell. I get through the on-line version in about 15 - 20 minutes. The physical paper takes much longer.

I prefer to have all of the day's stories in the physical paper in front of me when I eat breakfast. I often re-read the paper as the day goes by. I never do this with the on-line version. By the way, we have access to both and I only read the on-line version if I am away from home.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
GoFish

Post by GoFish »

We have digital only. I miss a paper paper, but the digital version is very good. Saves a lot of space in the recycling bin that way.

Why NYT? So I can entertain myself looking for typos and misspellings. Still looking ... :happy
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

livesoft wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:02 pm I like to read the readers' comments which can sometimes be totally off the wall, but sometimes more insightful than the article.
Ha! I find that in the Los Angeles Times, especially - way more commonsense than the journalists; and sometimes in the WSJ for more arcane stories that maybe the writer hasn't got to grips with, or didn't have the time or space.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

There is some decent content there. In full disclosure, I read for free with access from my local library.
mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 »

Threaten to cancel. I'm on my third year of $1/week. I like the content of the NYT and I get a discount on the online puzzles.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

Lifelong NYT home delivery customer. I will sit and read stories in the paper that I will not find online, even if I go to 'Today's Paper' online. I will also read articles more attentively when reading the paper vs my distracted online reading. I am used to and enjoy each day's special sections.

I think $40/month may be my student rate and I am nearing the end of my children's college days. Hopefully I can find a special offer once the last one graduates.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

jimjam600 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:59 pm Call and tell them you want to cancel. They were quick to extend our subscription at $4 a month.
Yup. I'm on my 3rd year of the special 1-year promotion. In a few days I will see if this works for my WaPo subscription promo, which is set to expire.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

GerryL wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm
Yup. I'm on my 3rd year of the special 1-year promotion. In a few days I will see if this works for my WaPo subscription promo, which is set to expire.
I allowed Washington Post to lapse, and it was not very long before the $29/year offer started appearing again when I clicked through to read an article.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

I take both the NYT and the WSJ. Politically, they tend to average out to about where I am. I like them about equally for content and great writing, with views that I often disagree with but need to think on.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

High quality news, and it’s important to support journalism so that we have a free and independent press
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

7eight9 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:21 pm Metropolitan Diary --- https://www.nytimes.com/column/metropolitan-diary
How long did it take you to remember to look for it on Saturday instead of Monday?
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Quite a few libraries outside the New York metro offer the NYT for free to their patrons. I've always found going through the library account for the few articles I read is sufficient. I have a free Washington Post account as a government worker, and pay for the LA Times as my home town newspaper.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

My $4 month was about to expire and saw the $17/month on my credit card. Logged in and started a chat two days before the expiration date. Asked to extend the $4/month or cancel. Supposedly, they extended the $4/month and have me a $13 credit on the NYT account. I usually have to keep track of such credits, because they seem to get lost, but are eventually found upon prodding.
McCharley

Post by McCharley »

I get the NYT and our local paper -- physical copies. It's awesome. :sharebeer

I fill out the crossword and pencil comments for my wife in the margins. We tear out recipes we want to cook. The best pictures and graphs end up on our refrigerator.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

I read the Times, because that is the national conversation. However, the pinch of salt is always ready to hand. On the few occasions where the Times reported something of which I had direct personal knowledge myself, the accounts were hopelessly garbled.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

muffins14 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 pm High quality news, and it’s important to support journalism so that we have a free and independent press
+ 1
“Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.” — John C. Bogle
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Three words: Browser privacy mode.
politely

Post by politely »

I pay for a handful of digital daily newspaper subscriptions, including NYT, and subscribe to several paper magazines (weekly & monthly). I have been cutting down on the paper subscriptions because the quantity of paper gets ridiculous. I surf & watch several other news sources on a daily basis. I believe it's the only way to get a well-rounded view of any particular issue, particularly as partisanship has been on the rise (I guess that's what sells). Over the last few years, I mostly have weaned myself off of the editorial and opinion sections of all of these, although I do sometimes read the comments to some articles to see what people are thinking (sometimes to my regret).

I believe that the NYT is essential because it covers both national and international events, is available across the US and internationally (which helps set a standard of newsworthiness), tries to be fair (although tending left), and is serious about the quality and content of their presentation and information. They are not perfect, but they try to live up to a high standard of journalism. BTW, I am not claiming that the NYT is the only news source to satisfy these criteria. I also like and pay for their puzzles. On the other hand, I like but won't pay for a cooking subscription - there's a limit to how much I'm willing to be nickeled & dimed.
onourway

Post by onourway »

We have subscribed for decades - entirely online for at least the last 10 years. If you have any kind of education affiliation, the regular price is quite low, I think we pay $7.50/month for the family.

I will say I do prefer reading the physical paper (other than actually handling it) because I tend to read a far greater range of stories. The web experience is not good for spontaneity. There is a digital copy of the printed copy available that I do, at some times, regularly read on my iPad, but I can’t say I do it regularly.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I don't know if it varies depending on your local library but my NYT digital access via the library DOES NOT include most of the food recipes. I hate when I find something really interesting and after clicking on the link get the message "Only available with Full Digital Subscription". I guess you get what you pay for !
Angst

Post by Angst »

My mother has subscribed to the paper edition for years, which apparently includes online access for her children. :happy NYT is one of my first sources for news and commentary, but there are many others.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

muffins14 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 pm High quality news, and it’s important to support journalism so that we have a free and independent press
That’s why I don’t play the cancel and get it cheaper game with NYT. There’s a fundamental and profound difference between the NYT and cable, and I don’t mind subsidizing one and not the other.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

politely wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:05 am I pay for a handful of digital daily newspaper subscriptions, including NYT, and subscribe to several paper magazines (weekly & monthly). I have been cutting down on the paper subscriptions because the quantity of paper gets ridiculous. I surf & watch several other news sources on a daily basis. I believe it's the only way to get a well-rounded view of any particular issue, particularly as partisanship has been on the rise (I guess that's what sells). Over the last few years, I mostly have weaned myself off of the editorial and opinion sections of all of these, although I do sometimes read the comments to some articles to see what people are thinking (sometimes to my regret).

I believe that the NYT is essential because it covers both national and international events, is available across the US and internationally (which helps set a standard of newsworthiness), tries to be fair (although tending left), and is serious about the quality and content of their presentation and information. They are not perfect, but they try to live up to a high standard of journalism. BTW, I am not claiming that the NYT is the only news source to satisfy these criteria. I also like and pay for their puzzles. On the other hand, I like but won't pay for a cooking subscription - there's a limit to how much I'm willing to be nickeled & dimed.
Well said. Do you write for the Times? It does seem to be nearly the only one without typos (for me especially, a pet peeve, except in anything I post as I don't have a staff of editors) and is relatively cerebral in discussion of topics. As to whether tending left/right/center, it does not matter to me. I understood how to parse meaning from the press beginning age 8 (Vietnam war coverage, LBJ, Nixon, Black Panthers, MLK). The Left definitely has better storytellers.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I continue to get the NYT, WaPo and local paper for the same reasons as others. I want a reasonable source of facts, and feel I can account for biases. I also read the Fox web site for their opinions to compare with the news papers.

I get the WaPo and local paper online only. For the NYT I get paper for the weekend, and online for all 7-days. I pay $49 every 4 weeks. I plan to switch to online only. I'm not doing it to save money, but because I find I only read the online edition. During the winter, the paper was actually a problem. I had to find the paper buried in the snow before I used the snow blower.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I'm also a big fan of The Daily and one way of supporting the podcast is subscribing to the website.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Raybo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:11 pmI find the on-line version a bit confusing. It has lots of older stories that I've already read and a few new ones. Which ones are new? It can be hard to tell. I get through the on-line version in about 15 - 20 minutes. The physical paper takes much longer..
You can view “Today’s Paper” in the online version (click top left menu, opens list of sections, at bottom, click “More” for extended list, which includes “Today’s Paper”) and iOS app version (click “Sections” at bottom of App, scroll to near bottom of sections to find “Today’s Paper”).

Reading it now.

Edited to add: online version of Today’s Paper allows you to select a date!
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
leeks

Post by leeks »

cbeck wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:40 pm I read the Times, because that is the national conversation. However, the pinch of salt is always ready to hand. On the few occasions where the Times reported something of which I had direct personal knowledge myself, the accounts were hopelessly garbled.
+1

I do not feel the quality/reliability of reporting is consistent. I feel like there is so much more "spin" (for lack of a better term) in their news articles than there was 1-2 decades ago. The editorial section does not provide a wide enough range of opinions. There has not been an ombudsman for a long time.

But most of the journalistic competition has gotten far far worse. And it is still necessary to read the flagship paper. The variety of topics covered is unmatched by any other US news source. I get free student access but we will probably pay for an online subscription when that ends.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Long-time subscriber, digital only, $4/mo promo rate. Every year I just do the chat where I request cancellation, they counter with renewed $4 rate and I accept. Never subscribed to paper version, but just would occasionally buy the Sunday paper at local store. Prefer digital and that's now all I do.

I continue to subscribe because I find it to be one of the better papers out there when you look specifically at the articles that involve in-depth reporting. Reader comments can be inciteful at times too. And I like the Arts, Food, Travel and Books sections a lot.

But they do seem to have an awful lot of click-bait type headlines in the past few years, as well as non-news subject matter of varying quality. I'm actually now considering dropping the subscription - but have not yet decided for sure.

On my personal rating scale, I give our local papers a 2, NYT a 7. :sharebeer
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I have been subscibing digitall to the NYT for several years at the $4 rate.
I also currently subscribe to the WSJ at $4 (when that ends I will cancel if it goes
to $40 per month), National Review Magazine and the WS Post. I like to get a broad perscpective
that only one source cannot (or will not) provide.

Cable, to me, is mostly one long editorial pushing whatever end of the spectrum
they are on.

If I have to pay a higher price first choice is NYT, then WSJ, WS Post and Nat Review.
But, there is a limit to what I will pay.

In the past, I have used a backdoor to get access, when I received a major price increase.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

The first month after I graduated from college and moved to the Twin Cities - Jan 1975, I started a subscription to the Minneapolis Tribune. I've continued to subscribe although I'm digital only now. I strongly believe in supporting local newspapers.

In 2018 I decided that I really needed to support the news sources that I read online. I now have digital subscriptions to The New York Times, Washington Post, and LA Times along with a handful of other news sites I enjoy. My budget can afford it and I like to know that I'm supporting a free and independent press. I'm digital because it's just more convenient and I got tired of recycling dead trees. I love doing crossword puzzles, but I download the newspaper crossword puzzles and solve them on my handheld devices.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Raybo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:11 pm I prefer to have all of the day's stories in the physical paper in front of me when I eat breakfast. I often re-read the paper as the day goes by. I never do this with the on-line version. By the way, we have access to both and I only read the on-line version if I am away from home.

I have a free online subscription through my job, but seldom use it. Besides the annoying knowledge that every click is tracked, and being tired of staring at a screen all day, it seems that everything is cut up into clickbits and just doesn't feel like reading the paper, closer to tv news. It may be that the content is the same, but the logic of the packaging escapes me. Too cluttered and busy, more like a tabloid.
The super just confirmed that deliveries are ongoing (we had some trouble which is why I dropped the home delivery last year) so I'll be renewing my educator's discounted delivery. Really can't wait for a real paper again.
Always passive

Post by Always passive »

Case59 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:54 pm I take both the NYT and the WSJ. Politically, they tend to average out to about where I am. I like them about equally for content and great writing, with views that I often disagree with but need to think on.
Same here
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic political rant and several replies. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.

...At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Additionally, language above a "family friendly" threshold is not permitted. See: General Etiquette
avoid profanities, obscenities, lewd and otherwise offensive words and remarks
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LindaJ

Post by LindaJ »

I read this for free using my public library's digital subscription. The only disadvantage is it has to be renewed every 3 days which is a minor inconvenience compared to the value received.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

JBTX wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:04 am Three words: Browser privacy mode.
Journalists need to earn a living too. Since you enjoy the content, just cough up the $1/week. :annoyed
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BH really should reconsider an “ignore button.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic rant about the NY Times. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.